IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tax credits 2013/2014
Closed Thread
Views: 12,044
# 1
annie1975
Old 28-06-2012, 10:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Tax credits 2013/2014

Had my tax credits award notice which states i will receive 37.64 per week for the coming year...last year we were getting the minimum 10,because my husband earned 26,000.This year he has got a less paid job.
On my notice at the bottom it states payments in 2013/2014,these are the payments we will make provisionally.They take account of changes that we can predict-example a child reaching 16... from 8/4/2013 61.04,then 57.27 every week til further notice...
Is it going up to that much next year because they disreguard the 2,500,this year?
Thanks for any help with my query.
# 2
cazj80
Old 29-06-2012, 8:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It sounds like it, we're in a similar position as having the 2500 disregard applied this year, I'm just waiting for my new tax credits award notice to come through after renewing a couple of weeks ago, so I'm expecting it to say something similar.

Sorry, that's probably not much help really as not a definite answer!
# 3
annie1975
Old 29-06-2012, 10:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks that does help.Ive had notices before,but its never given me a figure for what i will get next year before.
# 4
Horseunderwater
Old 29-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie1975 View Post
Had my tax credits award notice which states i will receive 37.64 per week for the coming year...last year we were getting the minimum 10,because my husband earned 26,000.This year he has got a less paid job.
On my notice at the bottom it states payments in 2013/2014,these are the payments we will make provisionally.They take account of changes that we can predict-example a child reaching 16... from 8/4/2013 61.04,then 57.27 every week til further notice...
Is it going up to that much next year because they disreguard the 2,500,this year?
Thanks for any help with my query.
Hello Annie
The prediction is based on your combined estimated income from this current year which you said had gone down due to your OH changing his job. If it is more than the income disregard 2.5k, then what happens is that they only take the excess into consideration, so if income goes up by more than the 2.5k - it may be for example 5K more than this year - you'd only have the 41% reduction on 2.5k of the extra income not the full 5k. However for current year limit is set at 10k - but I think next year it will be set at 5k. Therefore as your income has gone down overall, even with any pay increases that may come along, then you may well get more money next CTC year. I assume that as you only got 10/week last year and that OH earned 26k that you only have the one child for which you claim. No child care to pay for. The limit was 30k for earnings, where as this year it is 26k. So providing that you earn less than that then you may well get a bit more per week. If your income does not attract O.time or any bonuses etc We are roughly similar with our circumstances. Except my daughter is now 16, so I have had to renew my claim as she intends to continue further non advanced education beyond sept 2012. CTC etc is lost automatically exactly 148 days after 16th Birthday new tax year from 6th april-31st Aug. They write and tell you that. Am halfway through renewal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horseunderwater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
annie1975
Old 29-06-2012, 11:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseunderwater View Post
Hello Annie
The prediction is based on your combined estimated income from this current year which you said had gone down due to your OH changing his job. If it is more than the income disregard 2.5k, then what happens is that they only take the excess into consideration, so if income goes up by more than the 2.5k - it may be for example 5K more than this year - you'd only have the 41% reduction on 2.5k of the extra income not the full 5k. However for current year limit is set at 10k - but I think next year it will be set at 5k. Therefore as your income has gone down overall, even with any pay increases that may come along, then you may well get more money next CTC year. I assume that as you only got 10/week last year and that OH earned 26k that you only have the one child for which you claim. No child care to pay for. The limit was 30k for earnings, where as this year it is 26k. So providing that you earn less than that then you may well get a bit more per week. If your income does not attract O.time or any bonuses etc We are roughly similar with our circumstances. Except my daughter is now 16, so I have had to renew my claim as she intends to continue further non advanced education beyond sept 2012. CTC etc is lost automatically exactly 148 days after 16th Birthday new tax year from 6th april-31st Aug. They write and tell you that. Am halfway through renewal.
Yes only got 1 child,his income has fallen about 8 to 9 grand on last years..We now get 37 a week,but only for the 2500 it would have been the 57...
# 6
Horseunderwater
Old 29-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Makes a bit more sense now. If your income is approx 17-18k per year - you will get more CTC now. For you income last year 26k - this year 17-18k so add 2.5k to that figure and this will be your new income so 20.5K for current credit year. Leaving 5.5k on which CTC will be payable to bring you upto 26k limit if that makes sense.
Closed Thread