Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    nannanewman
    Mbna credit card PPI reclaim - puzzled!
    • 27th Jun 12, 8:27 PM
    Mbna credit card PPI reclaim - puzzled! 27th Jun 12 at 8:27 PM
    Hi All, i decided to join the forum having read lots of posts and have a query for you, sorry if its been mentioned before, i'll try and be as brief as i can

First off, i decided to look into reclaiming PPI paid to my mbna credit cards, so my process went as follows....

1) Looked on mbna website and printed off template letter re - reclaiming...very helpful i thought!
    2) Part of the form required me to fill in the policy no.s of the PPI agreement, i couldnt find them so i rang mbna.
    3) A very nice chap took all my details, reason for complaint etc. etc., told me not to go to a claimback company because they are so pushy and charge a fortune etc., then told me that my complaint was registered, no need to fill out forms - job done!!, i was very pleased!
    4) About two weeks later i received a letter saying that my complaint had been upheld and they would be repaying me a non negotiable sum of £48.55, no more correspondence would be entered into by them and if i wanted to take it further then i would have to go to the FSO..
    Now i'm not the brightest spark in the world but by doing a very simple estimate i would think that the ppi owed back to me would be around the £1000 mark...

Questions are -
    1) Is there anyway i can request a total of all the ppi i have paid them since the agreement was taken out...and ask for that amount back?
    2) Is this a delaying tactic common with the banks, hoping to intimidate and put people off taking things further?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Paul
Page 1
    • pooch
    • By pooch 28th Jun 12, 1:30 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    pooch
    • 28th Jun 12, 1:30 PM
    • 28th Jun 12, 1:30 PM
    Hi All, i decided to join the forum having read lots of posts and have a query for you, sorry if its been mentioned before, i'll try and be as brief as i can

First off, i decided to look into reclaiming PPI paid to my mbna credit cards, so my process went as follows....

1) Looked on mbna website and printed off template letter re - reclaiming...very helpful i thought!
    2) Part of the form required me to fill in the policy no.s of the PPI agreement, i couldnt find them so i rang mbna.
    3) A very nice chap took all my details, reason for complaint etc. etc., told me not to go to a claimback company because they are so pushy and charge a fortune etc., then told me that my complaint was registered, no need to fill out forms - job done!!, i was very pleased!
    4) About two weeks later i received a letter saying that my complaint had been upheld and they would be repaying me a non negotiable sum of £48.55, no more correspondence would be entered into by them and if i wanted to take it further then i would have to go to the FSO..
    Now i'm not the brightest spark in the world but by doing a very simple estimate i would think that the ppi owed back to me would be around the £1000 mark...

Questions are -
    1) Is there anyway i can request a total of all the ppi i have paid them since the agreement was taken out...and ask for that amount back?
    2) Is this a delaying tactic common with the banks, hoping to intimidate and put people off taking things further?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Paul
    Originally posted by nannanewman
    You are only entitled to a full refund of all previous PPI premiums if there is a case of mis-selling it to you originally.

Take a look over here for more info
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

If you are not happy with the resolution the company have offered in respect of your complaint, then escalate the matter to the FOS.

I don't think it is a delaying tactic on their part. The company have said they will not enter into any more correspondence with you over the complaint (so don't waste time trying that route) and it will cost the company £750 (I think) should the FOS agree to get involved.
  • storesa
    • 29th Jun 12, 5:43 PM
    • 29th Jun 12, 5:43 PM
    I have received a check for £2832.10 from MBNA for mis-sold credit card PPI i was delighted when the cheque came as it has only taken 3 weeks from my initial complaint, thanks go to Martin & this forum for giving me the information & bottle to proceed by my self after being disgracefully let down by Cartel Client Review, the only thing is there is no break down of what the payments were or whether interest has been added etc. should i accept the offer or ask for a break down in case there is more than has been offered.

the letter just says:-
    Further to our recent correspondence, please find enclosed a cheque for the sum of £2832.10 as promised. This cheque is in full & final settlement of your complaint.

Any advice??
    Last edited by storesa; 29-06-2012 at 5:48 PM.
  • corky2
    • 2nd Jul 12, 10:17 PM
    • 2nd Jul 12, 10:17 PM
    Ask for a breakdown, as the 8% interest part of the payment is taxable (20% for basic rate taxpayers) so you also need to confirm whether the interest was paid gross or net of tax. If gross, you need to disclose the interest to HMRC. If you don't HMRC will catch up with you and demand payment + interest.
    • oscar52
    • By oscar52 2nd Jul 12, 10:56 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    oscar52
    • 2nd Jul 12, 10:56 PM
    • 2nd Jul 12, 10:56 PM
    MBNA wouldnt bother paying the tax for you, and I doubt very much they will provide a breakdown. They are not usually that helpful to customers / comlpainants.
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
    • pooch
    • By pooch 3rd Jul 12, 9:39 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    pooch
    • 3rd Jul 12, 9:39 AM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 9:39 AM
    I have received a check for £2832.10 from MBNA for mis-sold credit card PPI i was delighted when the cheque came as it has only taken 3 weeks from my initial complaint, thanks go to Martin & this forum for giving me the information & bottle to proceed by my self after being disgracefully let down by Cartel Client Review, the only thing is there is no break down of what the payments were or whether interest has been added etc. should i accept the offer or ask for a break down in case there is more than has been offered.

the letter just says:-
    Further to our recent correspondence, please find enclosed a cheque for the sum of £2832.10 as promised. This cheque is in full & final settlement of your complaint.

Any advice??
    Originally posted by storesa
    What does the previous correspondence say?
  • storesa
    • 3rd Jul 12, 6:41 PM
    • 3rd Jul 12, 6:41 PM
    Hi Pooch, the first correspondence was as follows:-

18/June/2012
    Thank you for contacting us.
    We are currently investigating your complaint and will issue a response within 28 days.
    I have enclosed a copy of our internal complaint procedure leaflet for your information.
    That's all it said then I received the next letter as stated above 29/June/2012.

By the way i have already put the cheque in the bank !!

Awaiting response from MBNA about breakdown !!
    Last edited by storesa; 03-07-2012 at 6:56 PM.
  • Ljs79
    • 4th Jul 12, 6:23 PM
    • 4th Jul 12, 6:23 PM
    Storesa hello, ive jus logged a complaint 4 ppi from mbna, thats great how much you got back how much was your original credit card balance? Ive spoken to mbna today & they have told me complaint as been upheld in my favour but they are un able to tell me exactly how much i will get back yet..so just curious to know for a ruff idea
  • cbkate
    • 6th Jul 12, 4:37 PM
    • 6th Jul 12, 4:37 PM
    I logged complaints by phone for two MBNA cards . A week later I received two identical letters saying they were investigationg my complaints. Next I received a form asking for further details (card B). The following week another envelope- i thought it would be a form for the second card (A) but it was informing me that my complaint was upheld (card A) and a cheque for £2356 was being sent this arrived a few days later. Another two weeks passed and I received a letter apologising for the delay in investigating my complaint ( card B). Today i have received a letter saying my complaint is upheld and that they will send me notification of the amount within 12 weeks. The leeter also states that they will not pay the 8% interest , which I did receive for Card A ( the letter gave a clear breakdown of the refund)
    I am amazed that the same company can have 2 totally different approaches and want to know why I won't be receiving any interest on Card B. The balances on both was more or less the same and I paid them off at the same time a few years ago. Why are they taking a further 12 weeks to notify me of the amount? I find the letter for Card B quite dismissive compared to the helpfulness of Card A!
  • loftygirl2
    Alliance & Leicester Cards
    Sorry - not a reply to your enquiry but I am new to this site so forgive me. I had an Alliance & Leicester card which was taken over by MBNA. I was paying PPI when it was an A & L card which I now want to reclaim - can anyone tell me: do I contact MBNA or Alliance & Leicester (now Santander)?
    • Eve006.75
    • By Eve006.75 18th Jul 12, 6:08 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Eve006.75
    Loftygirl - alliance and leicester
    send your enquiry to

letsworkitout@alliance-leicester.co.uk

Have to say I sent an email in May 2012 and if I ever got a reply it may have been zapped as so many PPI being put to junk folder

But start there - feel it was on this website somewhere that I got it from
    • iande6
    • By iande6 25th Jan 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    iande6
    Allicance & Leicester
    I had an A&L card a few years ago. I complained to MBNA and they upheld it and gave me a refund, what was more surprising was that about 18 months later I received a letter from Santander saying that they were refunding some money too from the part prior to it being MBNA
    • Allypops1410
    • By Allypops1410 17th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Allypops1410
    MBNA PPI reclaim rejected - a little astonished
    I recently applied via the Resolver app to MBNA to reclaim PPI, I give as much information as I could, bearing in mind I took this credit card back in 1996/7, and considering they were 1 of 2 credit cards that in the end left me no choice but to sell my flat to pay them off, very very high credit limits, I was absolutely astonished that their reply was to inform me that they lost alot of account details in 1994 and they could not trace me, therefore could I supply my account number and amounts I had paid in PPI!!

Firstly I did in fact state that I took this credit card 1996 onwards, and I know this because its the year my son was born and unfortunately things didn't work out with his dad and I moved back into my old flat. The start of my slippery slope into credit.
    Secondly if they don't have any knowledge of me, nor my account number or history with them, why should they presume I would have these details 20 years on??
    Felt completely stone walled into allowing them to blame me for lack of information and felt I had no choice but to let them close my request.

Has anyone else experienced this kinda of 'get out clause' from them?
    Are they just allowed to say sorry we lost lots of account details and yours is one of them?

Feel at a complete loss as to how to proceed.....how do I know they are telling the truth and why should I suffer at their lack of incompetence

Anyone got any ideas please? Cause this just doesn't seem to ring true

Many thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Jul 17, 9:32 PM
    • 13,224 Posts
    • 13,535 Thanks
    zx81
    It's hardly surprising they don't have any records after 20 years. In fact, they'd be liable to get into a lot of trouble if they did.

If you don't have any records either, it's game over.
    • safestored4
    • By safestored4 17th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    safestored4
    Why on earth do you think that financial institutions should be expacted to keep records for ever? The fact that they don't have any records after 20 years can hardly be described as incompetant.
    Last edited by safestored4; 17-07-2017 at 9:51 PM.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 18th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 7,354 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    -taff
    You can send them a SAR and £10 to see what records they do have left if you want to spend £10.
    The FSA advise keeping records for a recommended 6 years, so they are doing nothing wrong by having no records, it is not incompetence, it is adherence to regulations.
    It's up to you to prove the missale, not them, because you are the one complaining about it.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 19,315 Posts
    • 9,421 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    how do I know they are telling the truth and why should I suffer at their lack of incompetence
    Originally posted by Allypops1410
    On the one hand you blast the bank for apparently expecting you to have financial records after twenty years and then on the other you blast them for not having records either.

If you refuse to believe them, you can chance £10 on a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter which will provide you with all information the bank have kept on file for you. If the SAR returns nothing PPI related then you can content yourself that you haven't been lied to...
    • Heloise59
    • By Heloise59 5th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Heloise59
    Mbna ppi
    Sorry to hear about this. I have come to the conclusion, having worked in various call-centres and offices, that it all depends on what person you fall upon when making the claim. They are probably on minimum wage and sometimes want to get rid of you asap without checking and will fob you off.
    Yesterday I called the Halifax/Lloyds/Sainsbury's phone number for PPI which I had called a week earlier and spoke to a sensible man who said he could not locate the details. I then remembered that I had used a previous surname and called again but this time I had a girl who did not want to check so I called a 2nd time and got another woman who hardly spoke English and have now filed a Resolver claim.
    Yesterday too, I called the MBNA number 08009176592 as I couldn't bb bothered to do the Resolver form and spoke to a woman who asked me the name and address of when I thought I had the cards. I had 2 apparently and one had the PPI. She asked me what my home phone number was at the time but I couldn't remember nearly 20 years ago and so gave employers name at the time. I suggest you do not give up and call the number above.
    Barclaycard at call centre told me I did NOT HAVE PPI and I belived him. Then a year later I came across just one Credit card bill with PPI on it!!!! I phoned them and then got a letter saying they would give me £2.50. I called to complain and they said they would give me £5.00 as I only had the one receipt. Next I complained to the Ombudsman and got £2000.
    Do not give up.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 19,315 Posts
    • 9,421 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    This thread originates from 2012. Telling the OP not to give up (in 2017) may not be the most timely advice...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,310Posts Today

8,220Users online

Martin's Twitter