Main site > Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > ESA and going abroad for few months (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
ESA and going abroad for few months
Closed Thread
Views: 1,453
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 21-06-2012, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 161
Default ESA and going abroad for few months

I am claiming ESA and in the assessment phase atm. I have a chance to visit some friends abroad for a few months and wonder wether this will affect my benefits? I am aware that you cannot be out of the country for more than 3 months but wonder if they'll send me letters for medicals/interviews ect and as i wont be here i wont be able to attend. Has anyone any similar experiences?
No More Buying Books: read 0/25; Bought: 0
May Make £5 a Day Challenge £003.21/£150.00
Angel_Rachie is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 21-06-2012, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Romford, London
Posts: 133

• A customer who is temporarily absent from GB will continue to be entitled to ESA for the first four weeks of the absence.
• If visiting a country within the Economic European Area (EEA) for under 26 weeks, customer must notify BC before leaving Great Britain.
• Should the customer be visiting over the 26 week period within the EEA, they must contact the International Pension Centre (IPC) on Tel. 0191 218 7037 for relevant information on how the benefit will be affected.
• Customers travelling outside the EEA for any period of time must contact the IPC.
• If the customer was entitled to Employment and Support Allowance during the period abroad then there is no need to re-apply for ESA but they must notify their local BC of their return.
If entitlement to ESA ceased whilst abroad then on their return they must re-apply for benefit in the normal way via the Contact Centre.

Hope this helps
bazza5070 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to bazza5070 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Old 21-06-2012, 1:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Home.
Posts: 3,609

If you do not turn up for your medical your benefit will be stopped. I suggest putting off going abroad until your ESA is sorted.
“How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.”
Anubis is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:12 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 15 April 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed