IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheap hotels guide discussion
Views: 10,196
# 1
WOW Factor 0
MSE Jenny
Old 20-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Writer
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Cheap hotels guide discussion

Hi all, we've written a Cheap Hotels guide to help you find cheap rooms worldwide, and we'd love your feedback.

If you've tried the techniques mentioned in the guide, were you successful? Are there any tips or hotel booking sites you'd add, or if you work for a hotel, have you any insider tips?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Mr Wang
Old 20-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Jenny View Post

Hi all, we've written a Cheap Hotels guide to help you find cheap rooms worldwide, and we'd love your feedback.

If you've tried the techniques mentioned in the guide, were you successful? Are there any tips or hotel booking sites you'd add, or if you work for a hotel, have you any insider tips?

Thanks
for your help!

MSE Jenny

You forgot the obvious:

If you are backpacking during the off season turn up on the last bus/train of the day. Usually around 6pm, no other tourists will be arriving and so hotels will be rock bottom prices.

In Asia, across the whole of it (for low end accommodation), never ever ever pre book unless it's likely there'll be no hotels. Turn up for the best rate. This is usually the same for the whole of the USA (outside major cities)

In most tourist places in Asia/USA you will find more rooms than tourists and so really bargaining is key. In the USA arrive before 10pm as usually this is when the nightshift start, and to be fair - If you owned a hotel you wouldn't work the nightshift would you...

Avoid hotels listed in Lonely Planet and stick to local places. In many instances you can pretty much name your own price.

If all else fails then couchsurf: http://www.couchsurfing.org/

Last edited by Mr Wang; 20-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Wang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
PaulMurph1
Old 20-06-2012, 4:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am looking to book a weekend away for myself and my Fianc!e, I have flights prepared and was wondering what time would be best to book a hotel, does the price increase/decrease closer to arrival date? (Departing Late September)

Hopefully somebody can advise me on this.

Thanks,
Paul
# 4
memosoft
Old 26-08-2012, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up

if you are looking for cheap hotels you might use travelfox.com/hotels it is a travel search engine where you can search and compare tons of travel sites for the cheapest hotels deals in just very few mouse clicks.
# 5
formidible
Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

It depends on what time of year you go and your destination. I find these two sites are best and, unless you go Travelodge, are the best two sites to find the cheapest deals:-

www.trivago.com
www.booking.com
# 6
darkdoodle
Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I found that for Thailand in particular agoda.com was really helpful. We used it the night before we wanted anywhere, never in advance and got some really good deals in some really nice hotels. They have a useful reviews section as well which helps you to make a decision and the booking process is simple and really quick
# 7
mawcraw
Old 01-05-2013, 8:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Check out independent hostels in Scotland

For good quality budget accommodation throughout Scotland there are 130 independently owned hostels affiliated with Scottish Independent Hostels (SIH) The owners/managers are all knowledgable about the area where they are located and full of helpful advice. Most hostels are located in the most scenic parts of Scotland (great for outdoor enthusiasts) or near to City Centres. There is a wide variety of accommodation on offer from ensuite private rooms to bunks - but all offer shared facilities which keeps costs down, especially kitchen and dining. As a new user I cant put in the website link - its hostel-scotland.uk with the www at the front!
# 8
Bob the Saver
Old 01-05-2013, 8:53 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawcraw View Post
For good quality budget accommodation throughout Scotland there are 130 independently owned hostels affiliated with Scottish Independent Hostels (SIH) The owners/managers are all knowledgable about the area where they are located and full of helpful advice. Most hostels are located in the most scenic parts of Scotland (great for outdoor enthusiasts) or near to City Centres. There is a wide variety of accommodation on offer from ensuite private rooms to bunks - but all offer shared facilities which keeps costs down, especially kitchen and dining. As a new user I cant put in the website link - its hostel-scotland.uk with the www at the front!
Does Scotland count as Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
or is there no forum for cold, damp midge infested destinations?
Seems like spam to me anyway.
# 9
budgetflyer
Old 02-05-2013, 6:40 AM

Hopefully next year Bob. Then we can introduce "Visa On Arrival". £20 should stop you spoiling our countryside with views of your ugly mug and polluting our fresh, clean air with corny jokes
The Following User Says Thank You to budgetflyer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Bob the Saver
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetflyer View Post
Hopefully next year Bob. Then we can introduce "Visa On Arrival". £20 should stop you spoiling our countryside with views of your ugly mug and polluting our fresh, clean air with corny jokes
Have to say, I spent toooo long in Furry Boots Toon for my liking and have frozen to death on Skye visiting friends so I've served my time. I'd rather do 6 months in Peterhead than go through it again.
Many years ago I did have a strange experience in a hotel in Sauchiehall Street was it called the Royal or something like that. It involved a semi-naked woman and a box of soft centres - it's a long story.

Two of the three other things I remember about working in Glasgow was a meal at a restaurant, I think it wast called after a make of car where we spend the too much on food that didn't agree with us, the other was how attractive the young ladies were at the time, pity we couldn't understand a bl**dy word they said.
The one thing I used to love about the frozen north was the view of Dyce,
from about 1000 feet as I was leaving.

Last edited by Bob the Saver; 03-05-2013 at 7:14 AM.
# 11
jasonfcuison
Old 17-07-2013, 8:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default best hotel deals

Find the best hotel deals that suits you
hotelscombined.com/?a_aid=99150
Easily find the best price and availabilty from all travel websites at once.
Access over 2 million hotel deals from 100's of travel sites.
# 12
pompeyfanontheroad
Old 19-07-2013, 9:56 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I drive a lot. If I find a deal that's better than the hotel company offers I use their price guarantee. They match the price and give a discount. Days Inn gave me 10% off a lower pice offered by weclomebreak.co.uk. Their guarantee is on their homepage
# 13
Jo77
Old 24-07-2013, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, not exactly hotels but if you are looking for somewhere affordable to stay then i recommend www.templettings.co.uk which has affordable accommodation in people's own homes
# 14
tripREBEL
Old 18-09-2013, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, the price guarantee feature of many websites are cool, but it is quite annoying to keep looking for better prices after you booked. A site called TripRebel does that for you. That mean, if you book and the price of the hotel drop, you get refunded automatically.
# 15
GlennTheBaker
Old 18-09-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripREBEL View Post
Hi, the price guarantee feature of many websites are cool, but it is quite annoying to keep looking for better prices after you booked. A site called TripRebel does that for you. That mean, if you book and the price of the hotel drop, you get refunded automatically.
Cool that they named their website after you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlennTheBaker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
AlTimian
Old 26-09-2013, 2:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Noticed some of these posts are quite old as regards finding a cheap hotel. Any good new websites out there for hotel prices? Trivago looks good, but there must be more!
# 17
Coraline
Old 26-09-2013, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Last couple places I went to I used booking.com with (so far) great results.

But like Jo77 mentioned it's not exactly a hotels site, they have a good selection of private flats (a lot of them!) for hire as well, which is what I like to do if I'm going to be in one place for 4 nights or more.

Private flats/studios with a basic kitchen save you a lot of money, if you don't mind self catering.
# 18
StevenDr
Old 28-09-2013, 10:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Using Best Rate Guarantees to save 20%

There is an additional trick you may want to try if you are booking hotels. I'm surprised Martin hasn't found this one.

Companies like Hyatt, Starwood and Hilton have best rate guarantees.

For example, Hyatt (which includes hotels like Grand Hyatt and Andaz) say if you can find their hotels at a cheaper rate elsewhere, they will beat the lower price by 20%!

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/specials/...86&language=en

The Starwood Group (which includes Sheraton, W Hotels, Aloft and Westin) say they will beat the lower price by 10%!

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/index.html

Hilton will match the rate and give you $50 (I'm not sure whether they give a discount in sterling, e.g. £30.)
http://www.hilton.co.uk/HiWayWeb/app..._cs_best_rates

So, the rule for finding cheap hotels are as follows.

1. Follow all the rules on the MSE website http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-hotels
2. If you like the look of a Hyatt, Hilton or Starwood hotel, check their websites to see what the prices are.
3. If the price quoted on third party websites like Trivago, or Kayak is cheaper than the price on the hotel's website, then get in touch and check to see whether they will give you the discount. They can pernickety, but I've tried once with Hyatt and been successful, and once with Starwood and also been successful.

With Hyatt, I've just saved myself £300.

Andaz Wall Street New York was quoted at $425 on the Hyatt website per night.
On Trivago it was $388. I called and Hyatt honoured the deal, offering me $310 per night after the 20% discount. I was booking for six nights, so that's $78 x 6 or $468 saving, or a saving of around £300.

Finally, the Hyatt best rate guarantee gives two US numbers to call to check best rate guarantees. If you are calling from the UK, don't use those numbers. Use their UK number 0845 888 1234 , which is given here.

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/customer-...contact_us.jsp

Unfortunately it's a 0845 number, which cost me 20p per minute from 02, but it was worth it for the saving.

Happy hotel hunting!
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenDr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
AlTimian
Old 30-09-2013, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Missed that Hyatt trick :(

Wow - StevenDr, that was a really helpful hotel post - will try it out in future. Bit miffed as I didn't try that technique for my hotel booking at the weekend - with Hyatt! I ended up booking off an Expedia deal I found on Trivago.
# 20
GlennTheBaker
Old 06-10-2013, 8:47 AM

I've used Marriott Hotels' 'Look No Further' best rate guarantee many times. Cheaper rate is discounted by 25% as long as all T&C's are met. See a list of successes HERE, including some of my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to GlennTheBaker For This Useful Post: Show me >>