Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Pete76
    Best central heating option for 3 bed house/1 bathroom
    • 19th Jun 12, 9:00 PM
    Best central heating option for 3 bed house/1 bathroom 19th Jun 12 at 9:00 PM
    We will shortly be moving house into a 1930's property which has presently 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. We plan in the future to extend the property adding another bedroom and 2nd bathroom. The survey has flagged the boiler existing system (back boiler) is at the end of its life (from what I know its at least 20+ years old) and so i want to get ta new boiler that serves the house effectively as it is now and the extension in the future. So far I've received one quote for: Worcester 30CDI system, with vertical Flue kit, pitched roof flashing, 250 l unvented HW cylinder, 1 x chrome towel rail 600x1000, 3 port control pack, wireless room stat, condense pump/pipe, re route of gas & cold mains Total 4358. This seems expensive considering non eof the rads are being replaced except for the bathroom. The engineer states its going to take4-5 days. Can anybody provide any advice guidance on a) is this reasonable quote and b) the right type of system given the size of house and planned extension in the future and if not potential alternatives to consider. Any help would be much appreciated.
Page 1
  • Canucklehead
    • 19th Jun 12, 9:11 PM
    • 19th Jun 12, 9:11 PM
    We will shortly be moving house into a 1930's property which has presently 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. We plan in the future to extend the property adding another bedroom and 2nd bathroom. The survey has flagged the boiler existing system (back boiler) is at the end of its life (from what I know its at least 20+ years old) and so i want to get ta new boiler that serves the house effectively as it is now and the extension in the future. So far I've received one quote for: Worcester 30CDI system, with vertical Flue kit, pitched roof flashing, 250 l unvented HW cylinder, 1 x chrome towel rail 600x1000, 3 port control pack, wireless room stat, condense pump/pipe, re route of gas & cold mains Total 4358. This seems expensive considering non eof the rads are being replaced except for the bathroom. The engineer states its going to take4-5 days. Can anybody provide any advice guidance on a) is this reasonable quote and b) the right type of system given the size of house and planned extension in the future and if not potential alternatives to consider. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by Pete76
    Converting your current setup to a sealed system with unvented hot water etc is labour and material intensive job....when you have your other quotes you can compare specs like for like (hopefully from RGIs recommended to you by a source you trust). More here.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

298Posts Today

2,206Users online

Martin's Twitter