Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    powerbase
    paypal and maestro/switch
    • 15th Mar 07, 10:16 PM
    paypal and maestro/switch 15th Mar 07 at 10:16 PM
    Hi,

This question is ebay related but paypal related but I thought it would be the best place to post here. One of my websites uses paypal for taking payments as much as people hate it you don't have to have an account to pay with it and it's cheap.

Two of my customers have now emailed me saying they cannot pay when they select switch/maestro. They say that they fill in every field but when they click OK they are asked for the 3 digit number on the back of the card yet their is no field to fill this in. I have gone through the process of checkout and selecting switch/maestro and I can see there is no field for the 3 digit number. I haven't completed a transaction in case paypal think it is dodgy.

I'm guessing this is a paypal problem. I haven't had this before or should I say no customer has complained before. Any ideas what is going wrong? Anyone else had this problem?

Anyway I can test it without looking like I'm doing something dodgy. I would really appreciate it as I fear this is driving business away.

Thanks
Page 1
  • powerbase
    • 15th Mar 07, 10:56 PM
    • 15th Mar 07, 10:56 PM
    OK this one gets even weirder.

I decided to clear my cookies for some bizarre reason and then go through the payment stage and when I got to the paypal payment page it looked completely different (like it had a face lift) and now when I select maestro/switch there is a field for the 3 digit number which fixes the problem (well maybe).

Problem is I went to IE which didn't have the 3 digit field either and deleted the cookies (expecting this to work) but the 3 digit field has not appeared and the layout of paypal payment page has stayed the same.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I'm rather concerned about all this.

Thanks
  • rare_stuff
    • 15th Mar 07, 10:57 PM
    • 15th Mar 07, 10:57 PM
    not 100% sure, but don't switch / maestro have issue numbers that are used for this and that is filled in elsewhere in the form? if not filled in I am assuming it thinks it should ask for the 3 digit security code.

A lot of e-commerce forms have this sort of set up and for these cards require an issue number not security code.

perhaps they are selecting visa, or similair rather than maestro switch which is why they are getting asked for the security number
  • powerbase
    • 15th Mar 07, 11:14 PM
    • 15th Mar 07, 11:14 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The person is not selecting anything wrong as I am not testing this out myself on my own machine.

The switch card has a issue number and digits on the back. Paypal asked for both. I have just got a friend to test the site with their card. They can purchase via firefox and what seems to be the new pament gateway for paypal which provides a field for the 3 digit number.

Also the issue number can only contain two digits so it's not confusing the two.

I always thought switch cards had an issue no, expiry date, numbers on the back but not necessarily a start date (which you leave blank) and use the issue no instead. I may be wrong.

When it went through on firefox the card no, expiry date, issue no, 3 digit back no were filled in and start date was not. The money has been debited from the account and is in the business account. So everything is working on the firefox end of things after clearing cookies but not IE. IE is still wanting the 3 digit security code which I'm not finding unreasonable apart from the fact there is no space to put it in.

Another thing has anyone else noticed that the paypal payment gateway has had a facelift?

Thanks
    Last edited by powerbase; 15-03-2007 at 11:17 PM.
    • Sugar Coated Owl
    • By Sugar Coated Owl 15th Mar 07, 11:25 PM
    • 11,598 Posts
    • 21,081 Thanks
    Sugar Coated Owl
    • 15th Mar 07, 11:25 PM
    • 15th Mar 07, 11:25 PM
    always thought switch cards had an issue no, expiry date, numbers on the back but not necessarily a start date (which you leave blank) and use the issue no instead. I may be wrong.
    by powerbase
    Switch/Maestro cards definately don't have a start date.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
  • powerbase
    • 15th Mar 07, 11:41 PM
    • 15th Mar 07, 11:41 PM
    Now checked it works on netscape as well. So it's just IE that is the problem. Weird!
  • rare_stuff
    • 15th Mar 07, 11:49 PM
    • 15th Mar 07, 11:49 PM
    I always thought switch cards had an issue no, expiry date, numbers on the back but not necessarily a start date (which you leave blank) and use the issue no instead. I may be wrong.
    Originally posted by powerbase
    Knew it was something like that! Sorry for misleading.

Though hardly surprising that IE is behaving badly again!
    • colin79666
    • By colin79666 16th Mar 07, 12:07 AM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    colin79666
    • 16th Mar 07, 12:07 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 12:07 AM
    Originally posted by razorbladekisses
    My RBS Maestro does

I think they went to start dates with maestro and dumped the issue number which switch had
    • Sugar Coated Owl
    • By Sugar Coated Owl 16th Mar 07, 12:10 AM
    • 11,598 Posts
    • 21,081 Thanks
    Sugar Coated Owl
    • 16th Mar 07, 12:10 AM
    • 16th Mar 07, 12:10 AM
    How weird. My switch/Maestro has exp. date and issue no.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
  • powerbase
    I think it varies but I would have said the norm is no start date but an issue no. I think most online payment processors allow for you to have this. If you don't enter a start date but have an issue no it's OK, and vice versa. You must have at least one. I'm convinced in the past I was helping someone order something online (it may have been an old ulster bank switch card which seemed to be a nightmare for ordering online) and it didn't have a issue no so you put in 0 for issue no and it worked.

So lets have a quick poll, who thinks it is paypal problem and who thinks it is IE? Could be my website but I don't see how. It's a weird one. I googled it and didn't find anything. It is one of those things I'm sure someone else has experienced.
    • digerati
    • By digerati 16th Mar 07, 1:31 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    digerati
    It's a known PayPal problem with Switch/Maestro cards
    So lets have a quick poll, who thinks it is paypal problem and who thinks it is IE? Could be my website but I don't see how. It's a weird one. I googled it and didn't find anything. It is one of those things I'm sure someone else has experienced.
    Originally posted by powerbase
    It's a known PayPal problem with Switch/Maestro cards. No word on when PayPal will fix it, but they have known of the problem for around 3+ months...
    • martindow
    • By martindow 16th Mar 07, 8:59 AM
    • 7,344 Posts
    • 4,123 Thanks
    martindow
    I think some Switch/Maestro cards have 16 digits and these will not usually have an issue number. Other cards have 18 or 19 digits and these do have issue numbers. As far as I know they all have 3 digit CVV2 security numbers on the back.
    • melg1973
    • By melg1973 16th Mar 07, 9:18 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    melg1973
    switch/maestro prob
    glad I found this thread as thought I was going mad We sell on-line at work through paypal and a lady rang the other day saying she was using a maestro and it was asking her to input the 3 digit verification number but there was no box to input it in. As no-one else had rung about this I am ashamed to say I assumed it was something she was doing wrong and I didn't believe her. I therefore asked for the details and entered them myself only to obviously get the same problem she ended up sending a cheque.......
  • powerbase
    It's a known PayPal problem with Switch/Maestro cards. No word on when PayPal will fix it, but they have known of the problem for around 3+ months...
    Originally posted by digerati
    Thank you. I knew someone would know if it's a known paypal problem or just a random glitch. So go paypal for being so good. You'd think they could fix it by putting in the field. Weird I got it to work in firefox and netscape.

I'm also glad I'm not going crazy. I'll phone up paypal and moan anyway.

Could be like the way NTL worked We kept losing NTL in our area happened 5 times in two weeks. I was always the first to notice and would phone up and complain. I would be told that until more people complained about it they would not fix it so to call round to my neighbours and get them to phone up. Maybe the more we all shout, maybe paypal will have to listen to us.

I suggest anyone else affected to phone up as well.

Thanks for the replies.
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 16th Mar 07, 1:41 PM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 23,031 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    You'll probably find that it's because they have been trying to be "good" and optimise the pages for use with Firefox, Netscape and other annoying browsers. This has probably caused an issue with how it's displayed in IE because it's not been done properly.
    Just one more reason why I have no time for any of these other browsers and prefer my good old IE
    (And not the others are not more secure or have less holes in them - they are just not popular enough to bother writing viruses for yet that's all)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • digerati
    • By digerati 16th Mar 07, 10:09 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    digerati
    I just double checked and there are a large number of maestro card problem threads on the eBay UK forums so it's unlikely to be IE related. Rather eBay and PayPal can't handle debit cards outside those issued with Visa or Mastercard logos...

Lastly there was a recent announcement from eBay about problems with Switch/Solo cards.
    Last edited by digerati; 16-03-2007 at 10:14 PM.
  • shell_thomas
    Hi, I have a Natwest Maestro card with a valid from and expires end date and was told if asked for an issue number to use 01.
  • powerbase
    I just double checked and there are a large number of maestro card problem threads on the eBay UK forums so it's unlikely to be IE related. Rather eBay and PayPal can't handle debit cards outside those issued with Visa or Mastercard logos...
    Originally posted by digerati
    It's strange paypal hasn't fixed it. Very bizarre I can make payments by switch myself as long as I use firefox(my normal browser).

I'd like to know what % of people pay by switch when shopping online. I would always prefer to use a credit card on the net and assumed many people were the same.
  • powerbase
    Update: I phoned paypal and they said it's a known issue but they are working towards fixing it.

Their suggestion to possibly work around it is to tell you customers wanting to pay via switch/maestro to select visa or mastercard as their card first of all and then enter all the details including the 3 digit back of card number and once the details are completed change the type of card to the actual one you hold.

It quite possibly would work but I wouldn't want to tell my customers to do that as it sounds unprofessional. Barclays merchant account paperwork is in the post so goodbye paypal (well I'll still offer it).
  • aqueoushumour01
    Originally posted by razorbladekisses
    mine has a start date
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

354Posts Today

2,674Users online

Martin's Twitter