Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre?
Views: 11,903
# 1
zaksmum
Old 16-06-2012, 9:36 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre?

I need antibiotics for an infection in my leg. My GP's closed till Monday and even then I wouldn't get an appointment for God knows how long.

They have an open surgery Wednesday but I don't want to risk the infection getting out of hand by waiting till then.

Can I ask for them at a walk in centre, does anyone know?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
wendym
Old 16-06-2012, 9:41 AM

I'm pretty sure that all walk-in centres are effectively a replacement GP service and can prescribe like them. I know in London my daughter had antibiotics prescribed for her daughter's ear infection.
The Following User Says Thank You to wendym For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Mupette
Old 16-06-2012, 9:43 AM

Doesn't your doctors have an out of hours service, i know they can give antibiotics, but i honestly am not sure of what limitations are for walk in centres.

Mrs Mupette

B190 Pass 08/06/12

14 in 2014 challenge completed 2/14
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mupette For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ciderwithrosie
Old 16-06-2012, 9:49 AM

The walk in clinic we have here prescribed me some for a chest infection recently.
Your heart's a great big hole, your brain is full of spiders and you have garlic in your soul
....Mr Grinch

The Following User Says Thank You to ciderwithrosie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
I wanna live for free
Old 16-06-2012, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The walk-in centre here has prescribed me anti-biotics before now, you should be ok
The Following User Says Thank You to I wanna live for free For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Raksha
Old 16-06-2012, 10:20 AM

My OH was advised to go to our Walk In Centre by our GP surgery when he couldn't get an appointment for that afternoon. He saw the nurse in the walk in centre and she gave him antibiotics (he has a pre paid prescription certificate). This was for a leg infection which is becoming ulcerated - this is his third different type of antibiotic and finally seems to be doing the job. PS - his Dr says he probably got the infection from an insect bite.
Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raksha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
zaksmum
Old 16-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone for that. I'll go up to our walk in centre now and get it sorted.
The Following User Says Thank You to zaksmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
TeaForOne
Old 16-06-2012, 11:10 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes - if you need them they will prescribe them.

Hope you feel better soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to TeaForOne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
zaksmum
Old 16-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks teaforone. It's just that I know from experience that if I don't get the antibiotics ASAP I'm in trouble!
# 10
dizziblonde
Old 16-06-2012, 4:24 PM

Before ours closed we used to call it the "take two paracetamol" centre... because that was ALL they recommended for anything.

Arm fallen off - take two paracetamol, go to A+E if it gets worse
Nasty rash on your privates - two paracetamol, A+E
Zombie apocalypse meaning an axe is embedded in your skull... two paracetamol...
Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dizziblonde For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
zaksmum
Old 16-06-2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziblonde View Post
Before ours closed we used to call it the "take two paracetamol" centre... because that was ALL they recommended for anything.

Arm fallen off - take two paracetamol, go to A+E if it gets worse
Nasty rash on your privates - two paracetamol, A+E
Zombie apocalypse meaning an axe is embedded in your skull... two paracetamol...
Ha ha! Love that about the zombies and the axe buried in your skull
# 12
samboette
Old 16-06-2012, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksmum View Post
Thanks teaforone. It's just that I know from experience that if I don't get the antibiotics ASAP I'm in trouble!
Do you suffer with cellulitis?

I do and I am suseptible to it after surgery 7 years ago and contracting MRSA whilst in hospital.

Hopefully the walk in centre will be able to prescribe some antibiotics, we're fortunate here to have an out of hours Doctors where they either visit or you can go into one the surgeries dotted around the county.

If you are suseptible to infections I would speak to your GP about keeping some antibiotics at home. I do and as soon as I feel the signs of an infection I can take the capsules immediately.

Like you, if I don't get antibiotics into my system quickly then I can become quite poorly.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by samboette; 16-06-2012 at 5:58 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samboette For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
londonsurrey
Old 16-06-2012, 5:59 PM

Depends on the centre. I went to mine years ago with a cat bite. They cleaned it, but told me to go to my gp because they didn't have a doctor on duty, and so couldn't prescribe antibiotics!

My hand swelled up to three times its size.
# 14
xoxo
Old 16-06-2012, 6:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The last one I went to gave me antibiotics to take away. I think it does depend on the clinic though. You could always ring ahead and ask to be sure, but i'm sure you've been by now
# 15
shirlgirl2004
Old 16-06-2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonsurrey View Post
Depends on the centre. I went to mine years ago with a cat bite. They cleaned it, but told me to go to my gp because they didn't have a doctor on duty, and so couldn't prescribe antibiotics!

My hand swelled up to three times its size.
At our local centre a nurse saw my son and even though the pharmacy was shut managed to get him an emergency supply of antibiotics. He didn't have to see a Dr and didn't have to pay for the antibiotics even though if he had taken the prescription to a pharmacy he would have.
# 16
geekgirl
Old 16-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As Samboete said, I also keep antibiotics with me at all times in case of a flair up of cellulitis, have a word with your gp they should sort this out for you with no problems. Hope you get sorted quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to geekgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
mum2one
Old 16-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboette View Post
Do you suffer with cellulitis?

I do and I am suseptible to it after surgery 7 years ago and contracting MRSA whilst in hospital.

Hopefully the walk in centre will be able to prescribe some antibiotics, we're fortunate here to have an out of hours Doctors where they either visit or you can go into one the surgeries dotted around the county.

If you are suseptible to infections I would speak to your GP about keeping some antibiotics at home. I do and as soon as I feel the signs of an infection I can take the capsules immediately.

Like you, if I don't get antibiotics into my system quickly then I can become quite poorly.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!
Ditto to that one, I'm prone to chest infections if I've had a severe asthma attack or an anaphylaxis attack, so I have a course of abtibiotics and 5 day course of steriods in, buys time till I can get a GP appointment.

One tip with walk in centres, if your on repeat prescriptions or "stronger medicaition (eg, I'm on morphine tablets) my walk in centre wouldn't do a prescription for them, so i was advised to take a copy of my repeat prescription in so they can have all my medication on file. for me the strongest they could give me is an epi-pen, due to they treated my 1st anaphylsis attack. x
3151k/4k - 2014 =78.7% DFB June 2023:
50p Pot 24.50 round up change 35.74
1st personal debt -Mum 75/ 1147 0.06% Bed fund 0/40
Member of 14 crafts in 2014 4/14
The Following User Says Thank You to mum2one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Person_one
Old 17-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirl View Post
As Samboete said, I also keep antibiotics with me at all times in case of a flair up of cellulitis, have a word with your gp they should sort this out for you with no problems. Hope you get sorted quickly.
We really do have no hope of getting antibiotic resistance in check. Its a shame really.
The Following User Says Thank You to Person_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
shortdog
Old 17-06-2012, 2:07 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person_one View Post
We really do have no hope of getting antibiotic resistance in check. Its a shame really.
I assume you have never suffered from cellulitis? It's a very very painful infection of the tissue under the skin, and there is a short (ie hours) window where it can be treated with oral antibiotics. If treatment is not started soon enough, it requires intravenous antibiotics - which really isn't much fun, last time I was 4 days in hospital on a drip as I couldn't get to the doctors in time to catch the infection. I now have a course of antibiotics at home, just in case.
I keep antibiotics and steroids for my son too, he suffers from severe asthma, and is prone to chest infections. The emergency doctors can't give him antibiotics (they can prescribe, but getting to a pharmacy evenings or weekends round here is nigh on impossible) as he is allergic to penicillin (as am I). Before I started keeping antibiotics for him, he had to be admitted into hospital more than once and popped on a drip until the hospital pharmacy opened the next day, and could give him erythromycin.
However, neither me nor my son take them unless it is absolutley necessary - believe me, I have to pump my son full of so many drugs on a daily basis as it is, that I hate having to give him more, and he hates having to take more. My daughter hasn't had a course of antibiotics since she was about 3, and she's now almost 10
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shortdog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
zaksmum
Old 17-06-2012, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person_one View Post
Do you think people take antibiotics for a laugh??
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zaksmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>