Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 16th Jun 12, 9:36 AM
    • 5,342Posts
    • 7,284Thanks
    zaksmum
    Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre?
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:36 AM
    Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre? 16th Jun 12 at 9:36 AM
    I need antibiotics for an infection in my leg. My GP's closed till Monday and even then I wouldn't get an appointment for God knows how long.

They have an open surgery Wednesday but I don't want to risk the infection getting out of hand by waiting till then.

Can I ask for them at a walk in centre, does anyone know?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • wendym
    • By wendym 16th Jun 12, 9:41 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    wendym
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:41 AM
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:41 AM
    I'm pretty sure that all walk-in centres are effectively a replacement GP service and can prescribe like them. I know in London my daughter had antibiotics prescribed for her daughter's ear infection.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 16th Jun 12, 9:43 AM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 6,381 Thanks
    Mupette
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:43 AM
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:43 AM
    Doesn't your doctors have an out of hours service, i know they can give antibiotics, but i honestly am not sure of what limitations are for walk in centres.

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• ciderwithrosie
    • By ciderwithrosie 16th Jun 12, 9:49 AM
    • 3,568 Posts
    • 8,853 Thanks
    ciderwithrosie
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:49 AM
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:49 AM
    The walk in clinic we have here prescribed me some for a chest infection recently.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • I wanna live for free
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:52 AM
    • 16th Jun 12, 9:52 AM
    The walk-in centre here has prescribed me anti-biotics before now, you should be ok
    • Raksha
    • By Raksha 16th Jun 12, 10:20 AM
    • 4,519 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    Raksha
    • 16th Jun 12, 10:20 AM
    • 16th Jun 12, 10:20 AM
    My OH was advised to go to our Walk In Centre by our GP surgery when he couldn't get an appointment for that afternoon. He saw the nurse in the walk in centre and she gave him antibiotics (he has a pre paid prescription certificate). This was for a leg infection which is becoming ulcerated - this is his third different type of antibiotic and finally seems to be doing the job. PS - his Dr says he probably got the infection from an insect bite.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 16th Jun 12, 10:23 AM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    zaksmum
    • 16th Jun 12, 10:23 AM
    • 16th Jun 12, 10:23 AM
    Thanks everyone for that. I'll go up to our walk in centre now and get it sorted.
  • TeaForOne
    • 16th Jun 12, 11:10 AM
    • 16th Jun 12, 11:10 AM
    Yes - if you need them they will prescribe them.

Hope you feel better soon.
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 16th Jun 12, 11:49 AM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    zaksmum
    • 16th Jun 12, 11:49 AM
    • 16th Jun 12, 11:49 AM
    Thanks teaforone. It's just that I know from experience that if I don't get the antibiotics ASAP I'm in trouble!
    • dizziblonde
    • By dizziblonde 16th Jun 12, 4:24 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 9,115 Thanks
    dizziblonde
    Before ours closed we used to call it the "take two paracetamol" centre... because that was ALL they recommended for anything.

Arm fallen off - take two paracetamol, go to A+E if it gets worse
    Nasty rash on your privates - two paracetamol, A+E
    Zombie apocalypse meaning an axe is embedded in your skull... two paracetamol...
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 16th Jun 12, 5:50 PM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    zaksmum
    Before ours closed we used to call it the "take two paracetamol" centre... because that was ALL they recommended for anything.

Arm fallen off - take two paracetamol, go to A+E if it gets worse
    Nasty rash on your privates - two paracetamol, A+E
    Zombie apocalypse meaning an axe is embedded in your skull... two paracetamol...
    Originally posted by dizziblonde
    Ha ha! Love that about the zombies and the axe buried in your skull
    • samboette
    • By samboette 16th Jun 12, 5:56 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    samboette
    Thanks teaforone. It's just that I know from experience that if I don't get the antibiotics ASAP I'm in trouble!
    Originally posted by zaksmum
    Do you suffer with cellulitis?

I do and I am suseptible to it after surgery 7 years ago and contracting MRSA whilst in hospital.

Hopefully the walk in centre will be able to prescribe some antibiotics, we're fortunate here to have an out of hours Doctors where they either visit or you can go into one the surgeries dotted around the county.

If you are suseptible to infections I would speak to your GP about keeping some antibiotics at home. I do and as soon as I feel the signs of an infection I can take the capsules immediately.

Like you, if I don't get antibiotics into my system quickly then I can become quite poorly.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!
    Last edited by samboette; 16-06-2012 at 5:58 PM.
  • londonsurrey
    Depends on the centre. I went to mine years ago with a cat bite. They cleaned it, but told me to go to my gp because they didn't have a doctor on duty, and so couldn't prescribe antibiotics!

My hand swelled up to three times its size.
    • xoxo
    • By xoxo 16th Jun 12, 6:22 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 6,587 Thanks
    xoxo
    The last one I went to gave me antibiotics to take away. I think it does depend on the clinic though. You could always ring ahead and ask to be sure, but i'm sure you've been by now
    • shirlgirl2004
    • By shirlgirl2004 16th Jun 12, 6:58 PM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 4,454 Thanks
    shirlgirl2004
    Depends on the centre. I went to mine years ago with a cat bite. They cleaned it, but told me to go to my gp because they didn't have a doctor on duty, and so couldn't prescribe antibiotics!

My hand swelled up to three times its size.
    Originally posted by londonsurrey
    At our local centre a nurse saw my son and even though the pharmacy was shut managed to get him an emergency supply of antibiotics. He didn't have to see a Dr and didn't have to pay for the antibiotics even though if he had taken the prescription to a pharmacy he would have.
  • geekgirl
    As Samboete said, I also keep antibiotics with me at all times in case of a flair up of cellulitis, have a word with your gp they should sort this out for you with no problems. Hope you get sorted quickly.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 16th Jun 12, 11:42 PM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 59,047 Thanks
    mum2one
    Do you suffer with cellulitis?

I do and I am suseptible to it after surgery 7 years ago and contracting MRSA whilst in hospital.

Hopefully the walk in centre will be able to prescribe some antibiotics, we're fortunate here to have an out of hours Doctors where they either visit or you can go into one the surgeries dotted around the county.

If you are suseptible to infections I would speak to your GP about keeping some antibiotics at home. I do and as soon as I feel the signs of an infection I can take the capsules immediately.

Like you, if I don't get antibiotics into my system quickly then I can become quite poorly.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!
    Originally posted by samboette
    Ditto to that one, I'm prone to chest infections if I've had a severe asthma attack or an anaphylaxis attack, so I have a course of abtibiotics and 5 day course of steriods in, buys time till I can get a GP appointment.

One tip with walk in centres, if your on repeat prescriptions or "stronger medicaition (eg, I'm on morphine tablets) my walk in centre wouldn't do a prescription for them, so i was advised to take a copy of my repeat prescription in so they can have all my medication on file. for me the strongest they could give me is an epi-pen, due to they treated my 1st anaphylsis attack. x
    16 crafts 2015 =5/16
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 14/50
    Angel Baby Item, 25 hats, 5 blankets
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 17th Jun 12, 12:12 AM
    • 24,619 Posts
    • 84,762 Thanks
    Person_one
    As Samboete said, I also keep antibiotics with me at all times in case of a flair up of cellulitis, have a word with your gp they should sort this out for you with no problems. Hope you get sorted quickly.
    Originally posted by geekgirl
    We really do have no hope of getting antibiotic resistance in check. Its a shame really.
  • shortdog
    We really do have no hope of getting antibiotic resistance in check. Its a shame really.
    Originally posted by Person_one
    I assume you have never suffered from cellulitis? It's a very very painful infection of the tissue under the skin, and there is a short (ie hours) window where it can be treated with oral antibiotics. If treatment is not started soon enough, it requires intravenous antibiotics - which really isn't much fun, last time I was 4 days in hospital on a drip as I couldn't get to the doctors in time to catch the infection. I now have a course of antibiotics at home, just in case.
    I keep antibiotics and steroids for my son too, he suffers from severe asthma, and is prone to chest infections. The emergency doctors can't give him antibiotics (they can prescribe, but getting to a pharmacy evenings or weekends round here is nigh on impossible) as he is allergic to penicillin (as am I). Before I started keeping antibiotics for him, he had to be admitted into hospital more than once and popped on a drip until the hospital pharmacy opened the next day, and could give him erythromycin.
    However, neither me nor my son take them unless it is absolutley necessary - believe me, I have to pump my son full of so many drugs on a daily basis as it is, that I hate having to give him more, and he hates having to take more. My daughter hasn't had a course of antibiotics since she was about 3, and she's now almost 10
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 17th Jun 12, 9:30 AM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    zaksmum
    Originally posted by Person_one
    Do you think people take antibiotics for a laugh??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,601Posts Today

8,182Users online

Martin's Twitter