Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > London Up and Coming Areas to Buy a Property (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
London Up and Coming Areas to Buy a Property
Views: 28,613
# 1
pred02
Old 13-06-2012, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default London Up and Coming Areas to Buy a Property

Hi,

I've started my London flat search initially looking at Hackney however soon discovering it is quite pricey. Looking for up an coming areas to explore buy a 1-2 bedroom flat in the <300k price range.

Really looking at a safe but up and coming area that has a bit of the village feel to it (bars, restaurants) and also good transportation links to the City, London.

I started also to look at Brockley (SE4) so wondering what other areas are recommended.

I thought it would be a good place to start a thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by pred02; 13-06-2012 at 3:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
bouicca21
Old 13-06-2012, 2:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Er, SE4 is Brockley not Bromley, but nice, as is Forest Hill (SE23).
# 3
brit1234
Old 13-06-2012, 2:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

In East London I would wait a couple of months till after the Olympics. East London is likely to have the biggest falls in London, my reason for this is the pre Olympic London hype and property fury will die off and reality will settle in after the games.
Scams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brit1234 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ILW
Old 13-06-2012, 2:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouicca21 View Post
Er, SE4 is Brockley not Bromley, but nice, as is Forest Hill (SE23).
Brockley is not "nice". It is typical dreary, slightly grubby South East London.
# 5
agrinnall
Old 13-06-2012, 2:56 PM

You could read the other two threads on exactly the same subject (although possibly with different budgets) that have been started in the last few days - perhaps we need a single thread in which all recommendations for areas to buy in London are listed, and made a sticky so that people don't continually feel they have to start new ones.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4009743

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4008279
# 6
R P W
Old 13-06-2012, 3:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think what you will find when asking this question is every person you ask will have a different opinion! Someone might say an area is nice and the next person say avoid it etc.

We are in the process of buying in London (nearly done now) and as we moved from the midlands we had a bit of a daunting task ahead of us. We looked at a wide variety of areas, in the North, East, West and South. What we found was the only way to know was to go to the area and spend some time there - we were given some recommendations in certain areas of the SE but after spending 10 mins there we knew it wasn't for us. However there are nice places about that are not crazy priced just yet.

In the end we found a flat that met all our needs in a nice area near Wimbledon and Southfields within budget.

So I would recommend having a couple of days having a travel about and trust your instincts.
The Following User Says Thank You to R P W For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
minipenny
Old 13-06-2012, 3:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I second the above, we have done similar although we are moving out of london and into rural parts -

We didnt know the area at all so I asked some people who lived near and they gave me some names of decent places around there but when I looked at them closer I didnt like them (no reason just didnt get that feeling)

Then I saw somewhere and got a nice feeling for it. Schools and transport to London are our important things and that area ticks the boxes.

Anyway my rambling means you really need to just go and look for yourself as RPW says what you percieve as nice someone else might not and vice versa

# 8
Panda78
Old 13-06-2012, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You have a good budget, even by London standards. Look around the Crouch End, Muswell Hill areas if you want to reach your maximum spend. Nice village feel and very quick links into central London.

Southgate is zone 4 on the Picadilly line, which is quick into the West End and is a nice area.
# 9
BitterAndTwisted
Old 13-06-2012, 3:44 PM

Any up-and-coming area that hasn't up-and-gone is unlikely to have a "village feel" with bars and restaurants. These pop up when an area has already been discovered and is firmly on the way up.

For your sort of budget you might have to swap having that village feel for good transport links. I would be having a think about Highbury, Hornsey (Crouch End will be out of reach) or Walthamstow, most especially in either of the two conservation areas.

The truly brave are migrating to Rotherhithe and Deptford but I wouldn't, not in a month of Sundays. We're even seeing some yummy mummies moving into gritty old Tottenham these days, poor loves. Which is OK as far as it goes as there are some half-decent streets with some fairly nice Victorian properties but the schools here are absolutely horrendous.
# 10
FTBFun
Old 13-06-2012, 4:44 PM

I live in Peckham Rye which has good transport links and is fairly good value, and sort of "up-and-coming" if you keep well south of the BR line and a bit back from Rye Lane itself (which is safe but not that nice). Towards Bell-enden Road or south towards East Dulwich are the best bits.

PS love the swear filter here!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FTBFun For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Ivana Tinkle
Old 13-06-2012, 4:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Crystal Palace? Lovely bars and restaurants, villagey feel, park (with dinosaurs!) and good transport links (depending where exactly in the City you need to get to). You'd have lots of choice for your budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ivana Tinkle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
vivster
Old 13-06-2012, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I was going to say Crystal Palace as well.

Depends where you want to be, how far out etc. I've been living in Tufnell Park/Archway for the past 6 months, which is v nice, although I wouldn't say villagey, particularly. Close to Hampstead Heath. One beds probably start at about 250k round here.

As for 'safe', some friends of mine were robbed at knifepoint in Holland Park. I lived in Seven Sisters for years and never had a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to vivster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
BitterAndTwisted
Old 13-06-2012, 7:45 PM

Hint to newbies to London: never saunter about the posher parts looking half-decently dressed and as if you belong around there. You could be mistaken for a wealthy local.

I live not far from Seven Sisters and was mugged at knife-point yards from my front-door by crack-heads a while back. The only time in thirty years of living round here that anything like that had ever happened to me. Bad luck and bad timing. It could have happened at any time and pretty much anywhere here.
# 14
hethmar
Old 13-06-2012, 8:39 PM

Woolwich has some lovely buildings (Royal Borough of Greenwich). It is also an olympic venue so a LOT of money is being spent on what was a very run down area. You have a new DLT, river buses, main line trains and comprehensive bus services.

New town squares are being built, there is an ancient market there and coffee shops have moved in on the high street. The development of the Royal Arsenal and the old military college and hospital have proved very popular. Currently hotel chains are also building in the area. New theatre venue also being built. Oh and the Kings horse artillery has just moved to the area from north london, so more kudos for the area.

Got to be worth a punt.

Last edited by hethmar; 13-06-2012 at 8:45 PM.
# 15
Biddy
Old 13-06-2012, 8:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Try Crystal Palace!

I would highly recommend Crystal Palace. It has great transport links and lots of fantastic restaurants, cafes and pubs. Plus there is the wonderful park and a great community
The Following User Says Thank You to Biddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
DizzyDasher
Old 14-06-2012, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The only time I've ever been mugged in London was on Fulham Broadway: early evening, full of people. So I agree it can happen anywhere! There are some good suggestions on this thread. SE and NE will tend to be best value for money, depending on where you want to commute in to, as has been said.
# 17
lizards
Old 14-06-2012, 12:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'd second Woolwich actually - particularly the Royal Arsenal bit. River views from some flats for starters. You can get the boat to work from your doorstep, or the DLR (plus there are plenty of mainline trains) The local area is a bit industrial but there are fabulous walks along the river. You're also not far from a lot of lovely woodlands.

There is also a LOT of investment in Woolwich right now, including a mega Tesco due to open in November, and a load of new shops, not to mention the work already done on the main square etc. Crossrail is arriving in a few years as well.

Sure, it has some rough parts, but that's true of anywhere in London. You don't have to go in them.

Crystal Palace is nice too.

Last edited by lizards; 16-06-2012 at 12:18 PM.
# 18
Loubee
Old 14-06-2012, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

another vote for Crystal Palace- have lived here for 5 years and am very very fond of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loubee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Out, Vile Jelly
Old 14-06-2012, 1:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The phrase "up and coming" does make me chuckle; the whole of London cannot up and come- the scum still have to live somewhere! If you get the Standard (now free, but from the same stable as the Daily Mail) on a Wednesday it will have a Property section; full of breezy articles declaring which syringe-strewn, hoody-heaving hellhole is now emerging as a vibrant, buzzing hotspot popular with young professionals.

You have a respectable budget; relax, investigate carefully, listen to recommendations from colleagues and remember that "good transport" means overland, bus and cycle routes as well as The Tube. And don't use Foxtons.
They are an EYESORES!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Out, Vile Jelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
jdonice
Old 16-06-2012, 1:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have lived in London 10 years 7 of which in a flat I bought in Shadwell. Its not or ever will be up and coming but it does have excellent transport links and close to the river, city and every major transport route.

Saying that I think people have to stop thinking of buying their home as something that will be in an area that is Up and Coming = Massive return on investment, in a couple of years.. and start choosing somewhere they want to live their life.. so where are your friends,jobs, places you like to visit..etc.

I was also ignoring near the olympic area and then I took a look around and found some good 2 bed flats for less than 250. Check Bow.
There is a lot of property there and that I think is having a levelling effect on the price.. But also it has a lot of transport investment..and no matter what happens to the venues after, the infrastructure is in place(which was not there before hand) and Stratford will not become some empty hole where no one lives..
Close to Canary wharf, links to EuroStar, Links to Dover and CrossRail..?

But I guess it comes down to what you think is worth the money.

I Second the notion on Foxtons, stay clear of them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdonice For This Useful Post: Show me >>