Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philip1976
    • By philip1976 8th Jun 12, 9:56 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 18Thanks
    philip1976
    Parking in central London on sunday
    • 8th Jun 12, 9:56 PM
    Parking in central London on sunday 8th Jun 12 at 9:56 PM
    Is it free to park in central London on Sundays?

Thanks
Page 1
  • LincolnshireYokel
    • 8th Jun 12, 10:17 PM
    • 8th Jun 12, 10:17 PM
    I would doubt very much there's anywhere to park for free at any time or day inside the M25.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Jun 12, 10:33 PM
    • 37,287 Posts
    • 48,695 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 8th Jun 12, 10:33 PM
    • 8th Jun 12, 10:33 PM

Thanks
    Originally posted by philip1976

Depends on the local authority you are thinking about - they are all different so you'd need to check their website and the signs/lines (including checking Controlled Parking Zone signs which affect the restriction times of single yellows for several streets without the need for a sign at every line).

City of London says this.

''The whole of the City is covered by a Controlled Parking Zone.
    The controlled hours for the City of London Zone, during which motorists must pay to park in a permitted bay and must not park on single yellow lines, are 7am to 7pm Mondays to Fridays and 7am to 11am on Saturdays excluding bank and public holidays.''

Westminster says this.

But then I also found this:

http://www.citieslabour.org.uk/2011/09/govt-cuts/

So in some cases, yes you can park on a single yellow line on a Sunday but be very careful and read CPZ signs, and look out for loading/unloading restrictions which are shown by signs and extra kerb blips in yellow, next to a line (the Westminster link mentions it).

As for bays, it would depend upon the sign at each bay and again, would depend upon the Council. Have a look at their websites by doing what I did and Googling keywords. I used 'London single yellow Sunday free' because my first thought was a single yellow was a better bet than a bay, possibly!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 08-06-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    PCN in a private car park in England/Wales? DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

USE THE 'FORUM JUMP' ON RIGHT, GO TO THE PARKING TICKETS FORUM. READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
    Do NOT read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 8th Jun 12, 10:43 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    • 8th Jun 12, 10:43 PM
    • 8th Jun 12, 10:43 PM
    I would doubt very much there's anywhere to park for free at any time or day inside the M25.
    Originally posted by LincolnshireYokel
    Contrary to popular belief (prejudice?) by those who live north of Watford Gap, the M25 does not designate the London boundary, it is not completely tarmaced over and patrolled by predatory councils via CCTV. There are loads of places to park, day and night, within the M25.

As you approach central London, yes, it gets harder. But some Boroughs allow free Sunday parking. Depending where you're heading, you may need to do some homework via the boroughs' web sites and Google Streetview to identify potential spots.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 8th Jun 12, 11:04 PM
    • 19,476 Posts
    • 11,955 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 8th Jun 12, 11:04 PM
    • 8th Jun 12, 11:04 PM
    Where abouts in London are you heading eg Southbank etc etc
    • philip1976
    • By philip1976 9th Jun 12, 12:27 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    philip1976
    • 9th Jun 12, 12:27 AM
    • 9th Jun 12, 12:27 AM
    Where abouts in London are you heading eg Southbank etc etc
    Originally posted by dacouch
    West end area,Piccadilly/Leicester square etc
  • Trebor16
    • 9th Jun 12, 1:13 AM
    • 9th Jun 12, 1:13 AM
    In that area there are a number of streets which have single yellow lines and you should be able to park on those on a Sunday, but check with local signs to make sure. If you park in the area covered by the London Borough of Camden then you will find areas near the British Museum where you can park.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 9th Jun 12, 1:15 AM
    • 19,476 Posts
    • 11,955 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 9th Jun 12, 1:15 AM
    • 9th Jun 12, 1:15 AM
    I'm not sure on that area, it's Westminster so I would guess they will charge there on a Sunday.

This website may help.

http://www.findfreeparking.co.uk/london-parking/

You can definately park on the single yellow lines in Union Street, set your sat nav for SE1 0LH. It's in a big controlled zone starting at the edge of Union St, that does not operate on a Sunday. Don't park on double yellow lines, on the kerb or in front of dipped kerbs.

If you walk west along Union Street and then into the cut you will get to Waterloo Station (About 400m). You can get the Northern Line direct to Leciester Square then. If you c.b.a walking Southwark tube is right there, Waterloo is the next stop but is about 150m walk when you transfer in Waterloo to the Northern Line

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw= 1366&bih=643&q=union+street+se1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487604a63dab264b:0xc4857b75627fdd94, Union+St,+Greater+London+SE1&gl=uk&ei=9pPST4GSMsbG 8gP12OCfAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum= 2&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAQ

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
  • Trebor16
    • 9th Jun 12, 1:43 AM
    • 9th Jun 12, 1:43 AM
    Parts of Covent Garden are London Borough of Camden and the area around the Museum and Russell Square are also Camden.
    • w211
    • By w211 9th Jun 12, 3:54 AM
    • 661 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    w211
    West end area,Piccadilly/Leicester square etc
    A few years ago, I went to Lillywhites and parked up in Jermyn Street, there was plenty of spaces there on Sunday, but couldn't remember if it was on a single yellow or a parking bay.
    • philip1976
    • By philip1976 9th Jun 12, 9:12 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    philip1976
    Thanks for your help everyone
    • philip1976
    • By philip1976 23rd Jun 12, 10:56 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    philip1976
    Hello again everyone,just been looking on google maps at the street signs for parking and some say resident permit holders only mon to sat 8:30 - 10:00pm,So does this mean I can Park here on a Sunday for free? Thanks
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 23rd Jun 12, 11:02 PM
    • 19,476 Posts
    • 11,955 Thanks
    dacouch
    Probably, where is it, we can check then
    • philip1976
    • By philip1976 23rd Jun 12, 11:19 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    philip1976
    Probably, where is it, we can check then
    Looked at so many places can't remember where I saw it now
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 23rd Jun 12, 11:38 PM
    • 19,476 Posts
    • 11,955 Thanks
    dacouch
    Bear in mind that a lot of the google street pictures in London are from 2008 / 2009 so could have changed since then. Some of the London Councils have changed some of the parking restrictions to raise extra revenue.

If you do park, don't rely totally on google street view, make sure you read the signs when you get there and don't park next to dropped kerbs or with any parts of your wheels on the kerb.

This website has some details on it, it's not entirely accurate though so again check the signs when you get their. http://www.findfreeparking.co.uk/london-parking/
    • philip1976
    • By philip1976 23rd Jun 12, 11:57 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    philip1976
    Bear in mind that a lot of the google street pictures in London are from 2008 / 2009 so could have changed since then. Some of the London Councils have changed some of the parking restrictions to raise extra revenue.

If you do park, don't rely totally on google street view, make sure you read the signs when you get there and don't park next to dropped kerbs or with any parts of your wheels on the kerb.

This website has some details on it, it's not entirely accurate though so again check the signs when you get their. http://www.findfreeparking.co.uk/london-parking/
    Thank you for your help
    • philip1976
    • By philip1976 24th Jun 12, 12:02 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    philip1976
    There is a single yellow line at the bottom of craven street,do you think I could park there?
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 24th Jun 12, 1:12 AM
    • 19,476 Posts
    • 11,955 Thanks
    dacouch
    I very much doubt it, the spaces look to be for residents only and it's right next to Trafalgar Square.

Westminster are very hot on parking especially near tourist areas.

Here's another parking website which may help http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/meter/craven_street_south_west/london/

There are spaces that are free on sundays south of Westminster Bridge either on Westminster Bridge Road or Kennington Road (Both south of Lambeth North tube). You might find some if you look down Waterloo Road but will need to be away from Waterloo station
    • philip1976
    • By philip1976 24th Jun 12, 9:25 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    philip1976
    I also have a disabled blue badge,will this make it easier to find a parking space?
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 24th Jun 12, 10:25 AM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    Then, some two weeks or more later:
    I also have a disabled blue badge,will this make it easier to find a parking space?
    Nothing like bringing all relevant information to the party up-front
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,094Users online

Martin's Twitter