Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Competitions Time > Compers Chat Corner > how long were you comping before winning anything... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how long were you comping before winning anything?
Views: 3,051
# 21
zombieslayer25
Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I get excited at the start of the day wondering if Im going to hear anything either by phone, email or post, but then nothing or I hear somebody else has won something that Ive entered (esp on FB) and it kind of puts a downer on it all. I was really looking forward to yesterday and checking the glamour list and I wasn't on there at all.

You are right there is always tomorrow, next week, the rest of the year etc. I dont look at the comps and think ooh Im entering for an ipad (for example) I really really hope I win it. I think I would use that so I will enter that and generally forget about that particular comp, but its just the constant flow of hearing nothing from anywhere I can't help to wonder if it really is worth it.

Maybe being new doesn't help ATM because Ive not found the social aspect as yet.
Current Aims: Laptop/PC, decent money, holiday
Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, 400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, 100 Boots vouchers
Total Wins (Since April 2012) 3442.56
Big thanks to all who post comps
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
bluesgirlvicki
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieslayer25 View Post
Sorry to ask this here feel free to move it if required.

Ive not been comping long (5 and half weeks), but not feeling very confident about winning anything. Up to last night I have entered 448 comps (not including instant wins like on FB) and have only won 1 itune credit. Is it really worth all this time and effort. I didnt even get anything in the glamour may comps How do you keep up your motivation for entering? Although this has become a habit for me now and just something to pass the time, but Im not feeling as though Im getting anything out of it. Tips to feeling positive about it would greatly help thanks.
Hi there,

I started comping in Feb this year and didn't win anything my first month, the second month a won a few small things - magnet, frisbee. Then towards the end of the second month was where I started to get bigger wins (a 90 watch).

What you have to remember when you first start comping is there's no back up of entries there, after 3-6 months some of those comps you entered originally may start ending. Just think you might be entering a certain amount a day but they might not finish for another month or two.

The main thing is if you want to win don't give up, I got to the stage of finding it a bit tedious in my first couple of months and almost gave up til I won something I really wanted and that one WEM makes up for a month of no wins - trust me. And that usually gives me the motivation to carry on.

What a lot of compers do is search for competitions ending tomorrow or in a couple of days, that way you won't have as long waiting to know if you've won or not but if you fall behind you may miss out.

All I would say is for the first few months you have to keep at it and get a good backlog of entries under your belt and soon hopefully the wins will start coming in. But at the same time there's no point getting yourself down if you see the same people with lots of wins because 1) they may be entering more than you. and 2) they may just be luckier.

If you're not enjoying that feeling of entering a comp and thinking 'ooh i could win this' then maybe you need to take a break or comping isn't for you. Comping takes dedication and time and if you haven't got that there's no fun in it. I know when you're not winning it's easier said then done but you have to try and be positive, you'll get your wins just keep entering and be patient.

I find reading the IWIWIW posts cheer me up esp when someone posts and says they haven't won anything in a while then have a really nice win, you could be next!

Best of luck and happy comping!
Now my life is sweet like cinnamon
Like a dream I'm living in
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluesgirlvicki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
ikkle87
Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Your not really entering very many competitions though hun, 448 over 5 weeks is just over 12 a day. Maybe you could enter for things you could give as christmas presents to people like gift sets and hampers, dvds etc. You say you want an iPad, Smartphone, money or car these are very popular prizes and often get thousands and thousands of entrants so your chances of winning those are slimmer than if you entered a competition for a DVD you wanted or an effort comp such as a tie breaker etc.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikkle87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
LemonSocks
Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I think I got quite lucky compared to some. I started comping in February and won a lingerie set by the end of the first week on FB. In fact my first 4 wins were all on FB.

Since then I think my biggest 'win-free' period has been around 3ish weeks long, but ever then my wins were so small I often questioned whether it was worth sticking it out.

But I actually find comping a fun way to pass the time. And it's so exciting when something does turn up - especially when you weren't expecting anything.

I would say aim for lower things as well though. About 90% of my wins are 'little' things. I only enter for things that I or a family member would like but that can be anything from a chocolate bar to a holiday. I've won shop vouchers and cash but my most exciting win to date has actually been some shampoo and condition (that hundreds of other people won too) - all because I hadn't expected it.
Best 2012 wins: 100 New Look giftcard, 500 pepsi, iPod Shuffle, Retro desk fan, VIP Wireless Festival tickets, 250 French Connection
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LemonSocks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
kisto
Old 07-06-2012, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry to ask this here feel free to move it if required.

Ive not been comping long (5 and half weeks), but not feeling very confident about winning anything. Up to last night I have entered 448 comps (not including instant wins like on FB) and have only won 1 itune credit. Is it really worth all this time and effort. I didnt even get anything in the glamour may comps How do you keep up your motivation for entering? Although this has become a habit for me now and just something to pass the time, but Im not feeling as though Im getting anything out of it. Tips to feeling positive about it would greatly help thanks.
First of all, ultimately it's down to luck....however you've got to be in it to win it....and the more you're in, the more likely you are to win!
As a previous poster mentioned, 448 is not that many competitions over 5 weeks, compared to what some compers enter.
When I was really into comping I was averaging 150 a day. I'd win about 2 prizes a week. At the moment I'm probably only doing between 50 - 100 a day and I'm winning about 1 prize a week (and recently I've been fortunate as I've won a couple decent prizes).

I enjoy the monotony of entering the competitions - it's kind of therapeutic to sit here clicking and filling in forms. The anticipation of a potential win is what keeps me going! When I get a win, the excitement motivates me to go and enter more competitions and so on!
2014 WINS:
// 100 // Matilda Satchel // Lanson Champagne // a case of Tyrrells crisps & popcorn // pizza vouchers // Henry Desk Vacuum // Make Up Set // The Vampire Diaries: Season 1-4 // Boost Drinks // 25 Not On The High Street Voucher //
*Thanks to all who posts comps *

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kisto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
zombieslayer25
Old 07-06-2012, 1:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I dont just enter comps for prizes listed in what I want to win most on my signature. If I think I would buy it anyway and would use it I enter it. Im not going to enter a comp for a random DVD that wont get watched, for example, but I do enter comps for shampoo, batteries, beauty products, home appliances etc. Also yes I have entered just over 12 a day, but I only found this forum on Sunday and until then could only find 5-10 a day to enter, Im sure my average will go up.

I know I need a back-log of comps entered, but was just wondering how long it took the average person to win something. Mind you I could start entering those DVD comps and sell them on could I? Am I allowed to do that? With regards to those caption, comment, blog type ones. I have very little imagination and not very good at that sort of thing so avoid them.

Thank you all to your kind messages, you have been so very helpful to me
Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, 400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, 100 Boots vouchers
The Following User Says Thank You to zombieslayer25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
zombieslayer25
Old 07-06-2012, 1:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisto View Post
When I was really into comping I was averaging 150 a day. I'd win about 2 prizes a week. At the moment I'm probably only doing between 50 - 100 a day and I'm winning about 1 prize a week (and recently I've been fortunate as I've won a couple decent prizes).

I enjoy the monotony of entering the competitions - it's kind of therapeutic to sit here clicking and filling in forms. The anticipation of a potential win is what keeps me going! When I get a win, the excitement motivates me to go and enter more competitions and so on!
50-100 a day Ive been entering 20-30 since finding this forum and thought I was doing ok there.
The Following User Says Thank You to zombieslayer25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
acidtooth
Old 07-06-2012, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've been comping for about 6 weeks and had 6 wins in that time (4 x glamour giveaway wins, 1 x pair of club night tickets, 1 year's gourmet society membership). I've entered about 950 this week, spent whole days on it! so addictive...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acidtooth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
zombieslayer25
Old 07-06-2012, 1:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtooth View Post
I've been comping for about 6 weeks and had 6 wins in that time (4 x glamour giveaway wins, 1 x pair of club night tickets, 1 year's gourmet society membership). I've entered about 950 this week, spent whole days on it! so addictive...
you see I personally wouldn't have entered the club night tix or the years membership as I dont want them. Though I must admit I am addicted to looking through this forum and entering those comps that I want to win.

BTW in my original posts I told you I had entered 448 which I have, but I did enter a further 154 comps on those spam comp sites, but have since been questioning whether or not to bother with those so am not counting them in my main comps Ive entered.
# 30
zombieslayer25
Old 07-06-2012, 1:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Also Ive not counted instant win comps either as Ive not made a note of them (yes I am that sad I have a spreadsheet of comps entered, the ones where I find out Ive not won gets deleted) so in reality Ive entered more than that.
# 31
acidtooth
Old 07-06-2012, 1:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
you see I personally wouldn't have entered the club night tix or the years membership as I dont want them. Though I must admit I am addicted to looking through this forum and entering those comps that I want to win.
the gourmet society membership was a nice surprise, was entered into a competition with quidco when I signed up for a month trial membership but didn't know until the prize arrived!

I tend to enter anything I want for myself/my bf/family for birthday/xmas presents. the only ones I don't enter are dvd/baby/kid competitions or ones where you have to post a blog comment cos I'm lazy! haha. roboform is a godsend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acidtooth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
new_comper_sara
Old 07-06-2012, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I started in January entering for EVERYTHING, i got my first win after about 10 days, which was a food face plate!!!
I now go by date, like all the ones ending tomorrow and enter that way as i don't have as much free time with the little ones unless they are in bed early..... after the food plate win i won a all inclusive holiday to Jamaica with the Daily Mail, its a dream holiday for me and the hubby and something we wouldn't have been able to do until the little ones reach 18, also won a HTC with 270 vodafone credit and Graco Travel system...... i know that these were all very popular competitions and would have recieved 100's of entrys, so its just luck of the draw.

Not won anything in May or June, but the wins i have won i cant grumble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new_comper_sara For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
marleyboy
Old 07-06-2012, 1:55 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It took me a good two Years for my first win, I generally never win but the onus is on me to keep entering. I never expect to win anything, that way I am not left disappointed when someone else has won, should I be lucky enough to win, it comes as a nice surprise for me.

As boring and frustrating as it sounds, you have to be in it to win it. The more comps you enter, the better your chances of winning something. Its pot luck and completely random whether or not you are picked as a winner, the odds will always be stacked against you, but someone, somewhere is bound to win so long as they entered.
1+1+1=1
"Marleyboy you are a legend!"
MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
Marleyboy speaks sense
marleyboy (total legend)
Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marleyboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
zombieslayer25
Old 07-06-2012, 2:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyboy View Post
It took me a good two Years for my first win, I generally never win but the onus is on me to keep entering. I never expect to win anything, that way I am not left disappointed when someone else has won, should I be lucky enough to win, it comes as a nice surprise for me.

As boring and frustrating as it sounds, you have to be in it to win it. The more comps you enter, the better your chances of winning something. Its pot luck and completely random whether or not you are picked as a winner, the odds will always be stacked against you, but someone, somewhere is bound to win so long as they entered.
I dont expect to win anything either which is why Im curious as to why enter all these comps? For now I have nothing better to do so will carry on, also now Ive started I do think maybe one day I just might.

Im glad I started this conversation now as it has really given me a bit of reason to go on. Thanks again everyone for replying to me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zombieslayer25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
marleyboy
Old 07-06-2012, 2:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Good Luck OP - fingers crossed the next post I send might be Congratulations OP.
1+1+1=1
"Marleyboy you are a legend!"
MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
Marleyboy speaks sense
marleyboy (total legend)
Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marleyboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
In The Red 2009
Old 07-06-2012, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I also enter 50-100 comps per day, but I will do it consistently for a few months and then take a break for a few months. I have won some bits and pieces over this time (nothing REALLY big) but it usually takes at least a month of comping before I win anything, often because some of the comps run for several weeks.

When I first started comping I was keeping track of what I entered and I was averaging one win per 1,000 comps but others may have better or worse luck. I don't keep track anymore.

I really think you have to enjoy comping and treat it as a hobby. The wins are just a bonus to an enjoyable past-time.

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to In The Red 2009 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
ikkle87
Old 07-06-2012, 2:10 PM

How are you entering them hun, do you do them as they are added or by ending date or do you just pick the odd few that you like? If you've only really been comping properly since Sunday (ie using MSE) then baring in mind Monday and Tuesday were bank holidays then you probably wouldn't have heard anything anyway.

When I first started comping a few years back I think I waited about 3 weeks before I got a win, was just something small but spurred me on and then I got hooked. I've recently started comping again this month and am up to the 10th of June because I do comps a few days in advance, then I do dailies etc too. Whilst I've not had a win yet from this time around I'm not surprised really as it's been Jubilee weekend and I know some comps take ages to send prizes out anyway. I once received a prize in November when the comp had ended in March!

Just keep at it hun you will get there x
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikkle87 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
bellybee
Old 07-06-2012, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I was really lucky as I started comping in Feb and won my first prize in April but it was a biggie to me it was an amazon kindle and I love it so much. I have since won around 815 worth of prizes all told. If I average my comps out I probably only do 5-10 a day and dont spend long on it (I have a kindle to read) but I do enjoy it and dont expect to win and my fave wins are littlle things like a mascara etc
Total value of wins in 2013- 58, best prize ever was a Kindle
Wins in 2013 - Emma Bridgewater mugs, last resort DVD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellybee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
zombieslayer25
Old 07-06-2012, 2:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Im entering them as they come up. I will come on here in the morning after lunch and again for a bit longer once the kids are in bed. I realise that there are a lot that are still to finish. I think its the glamour comp that had me feeling a bit low with it because each day there were varying amounts of prizes and not just 10 or 20, but hundreds and I convinced myself that surely I will get something there and I got nothing. I am new to this and realise now that I wasn't the only one.

I dont not like entering competitions, but a small win would help. This thread really has filled my confidence up and made me want to enter more. I really dont mean to come accross as "I-should-have-won-something-by-now" cos I really am not thinking that, I was just wondering how often and how quick people actually won things. you can start off doing this thinking Im going to enter hundreds and will win a few things, but the reality is just kicking in that it doesn't really work like that. Ive got my head around that now, but its just beginners feelings Ive had here today.
# 40
joanne95
Old 07-06-2012, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I started comping at the end of July 2010 and won my first prize (a years supply of coffee and 2 dining chairs) within a week. I had followed all the guidance given on the boards and was entering at least 150 a day and entering by end date so I didn't have to wait long to find out about the comps I'd entered.

I am addicted to entering competitions and I spend all my spare time doing it. I've won some amazing prizes over the last couple of years but it's definitely the small wins that keep me going.

I agree with another comment that the reason for entering is the buzz and excitement if what is around the corner. I always feel really positive and just think that if I put the effort in then it will pay off.

Twitter has really boosted my comp wins and it is so quick and easy to enter on there that it doesn't take up too much time. I do some comping on Facebook but not too much as I don't like to bother my friends with all the sharing.

Good luck. I'm sure the wins will come if you keep at it.

Thanks to all those who post comps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joanne95 For This Useful Post: Show me >>