IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Halifax TMP
Views: 1,745
# 1
mentormum
Old 18-05-2012, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Halifax TMP

Hi All
I need some advice.
Took out a Halifax mortgage in 2003 was sold TMP (excluding life cover element).
Was told we needed it incase we were made redundant so that Halifax wouldn't repossess.
We had good jobs with potentially good redundancy packages and good sickness benefits (but looking at the documents have critical illness cover)
Still have mortgage and still paying TMP average £60 per months for over 9 years.
Does this sound like a possible claim and should I cancel my cover?

Last edited by mentormum; 18-05-2012 at 4:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
mentormum
Old 19-05-2012, 8:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just wondering ig anyone else has been in the same position as this andwhat the outcome was

Thanks for reading
# 3
dunstonh
Old 20-05-2012, 9:02 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
Does this sound like a possible claim and should I cancel my cover?
You have given no reason for complaint. Everyone has a good job until they do not. That said, Halifax do seem to be still auto paying out on the MPPI element but they wont auto pay out on the CI element and nothing you have said indicates any wrong doing on that front.

No-one is going to tell you to cancel your policy because what if you suffered a claimable event after cancelling it?
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.

Last edited by dunstonh; 21-05-2012 at 4:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mentormum
Old 21-05-2012, 4:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi thanks for the info, im thinking that the fact that our employers had good sickness benefits thst we wouldnt have needed the ci cover equally ive looked at the t&c of the mortgage offer and it doesnt state that ppi is compulsary.
Do you think its a case for a claim?
# 5
dunstonh
Old 21-05-2012, 4:42 PM

Quote:
im thinking that the fact that our employers had good sickness benefits thst we wouldnt have needed the ci cover
Very few employers offer a group CI scheme. They do exist but is yours a CI scheme or income scheme? CI is a lump sum payment on diagnosis of a range of specified critical illnesses.

There are very few CI complaints and the PPI issue doesnt apply to CI. So, you do need a valid complaint reason. Typically the ideal level of CI cover is seen to be around 4 times income plus debts. However, that is just a guide.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 6
mentormum
Old 02-07-2012, 7:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default halifax tmp success

I decided to make a claim based on the points i raised above and have had anOFFER OF JUST UNDER £8000!
# 7
dazzler44
Old 02-07-2012, 8:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

put in a claim against the mis sell of the asu element, this was on the 8th of june....got a call today asking further questions and the guy said we should here pretty quickly......not optimistic tbh, think we have fallen outside the auto payout policy deadlines.....you may have had more fortune than ourselves i dont know....we never quibbled CI part of it, just the ASU, we had similar circs to yourself by the sound of it......well done on your success, great to see
# 8
mentormum
Old 02-07-2012, 8:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thank you we thought the same that but went ahead any way we put in our claim on 5th May so dont lose hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to mentormum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dazzler44
Old 02-07-2012, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentormum View Post
thank you we thought the same that but went ahead any way we put in our claim on 5th May so dont lose hope.
i will buy a very large and expensive bottle of champers and toast you if we do get anything back !!
# 10
dazzler44
Old 02-07-2012, 8:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
did you get a phonecall checking info from the halifax before your success ?
# 11
mentormum
Old 02-07-2012, 8:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

yes i did just explained my reasons again, it sounded a bit like she was reading from a script. chase them up myself after about 7 weeks and they gave me the goid news over the phone
The Following User Says Thank You to mentormum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
dazzler44
Old 02-07-2012, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
yes i did just explained my reasons again, it sounded a bit like she was reading from a script. chase them up myself after about 7 weeks and they gave me the goid news over the phone
well thats given me more hope !! thanks Mentormum.....tomorrows a new day so hopefully better news will follow
# 13
dunstonh
Old 02-07-2012, 9:46 PM

Halifax are one of the hardest to call. They seem to pay out on cases that should never be paid out on but dig their heels in with cases which appear to be nailed on payouts.
# 14
dazzler44
Old 02-07-2012, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post
Halifax are one of the hardest to call. They seem to pay out on cases that should never be paid out on but dig their heels in with cases which appear to be nailed on payouts.
thats what gets me ! having read so many case successes and failures on here, i can match our circs to both.....cant call where this is going to end up.....i can only hope
# 15
dazzler44
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

called Halifax this morning to check on wording the guy had put down yesterday and the man i spoke with said the case is being looked at currently by the same man who called yesterday ! wonder if a decision is imminent ? feel very nervous but willing to stand up for a long fight should this go against us......i have great stamina for a fight !!