Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BIGEYE
    • By BIGEYE 11th May 12, 4:50 PM
    • 137Posts
    • 46Thanks
    BIGEYE
    Bus lane driving fines - Edinburgh Council?
    • 11th May 12, 4:50 PM
    Bus lane driving fines - Edinburgh Council? 11th May 12 at 4:50 PM
    Are the fines being dished out by Edinburgh Council for driving in bus lanes legal and enforceable?
    If my memory serves me correctly, some years ago the fines dished out by the same council for parking was deemed to be illegal for some reason or another. Perhaps this falls in to same boat?
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th May 12, 4:53 PM
    • 31,324 Posts
    • 25,855 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th May 12, 4:53 PM
    • 11th May 12, 4:53 PM
    Are the fines being dished out by Edinburgh Council for driving in bus lanes legal and enforceable?
    If my memory serves me correctly, some years ago the fines dished out by the same council for parking was deemed to be illegal for some reason or another. Perhaps this falls in to same boat?
    Originally posted by BIGEYE
    due to a date error if i recall correctly
    The simple answer is don't drive in the lanes during their active times.
    • colino
    • By colino 11th May 12, 4:57 PM
    • 4,944 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    colino
    • 11th May 12, 4:57 PM
    • 11th May 12, 4:57 PM
    Good luck on getting away with fines in Edinburgh, they make a lot of money for the city and despite a recent confusion (they wanted only "their" service buses to use Bus Lanes!) I'm pretty sure they have everything belted up now.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th May 12, 4:58 PM
    • 31,324 Posts
    • 25,855 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th May 12, 4:58 PM
    • 11th May 12, 4:58 PM
    Good luck on getting away with fines in Edinburgh, they make a lot of money for the city and despite a recent confusion (they wanted only "their" service buses to use Bus Lanes!) I'm pretty sure they have everything belted up now.
    Originally posted by colino
    well it is really an opt in idiot tax.
    • BIGEYE
    • By BIGEYE 11th May 12, 5:00 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    BIGEYE
    • 11th May 12, 5:00 PM
    • 11th May 12, 5:00 PM
    Wasn't me that got caught, it was my son. And he thinks there may be a few more brown envelopes coming through the door.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th May 12, 5:08 PM
    • 31,324 Posts
    • 25,855 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th May 12, 5:08 PM
    • 11th May 12, 5:08 PM
    lets hope he doesnt beat the record

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18024875
  • Trebor16
    • 11th May 12, 5:50 PM
    • 11th May 12, 5:50 PM
    www.pepipoo.com will be a good place for advice on bus lanes.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th May 12, 5:55 PM
    • 31,324 Posts
    • 25,855 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th May 12, 5:55 PM
    • 11th May 12, 5:55 PM
    www.pepipoo.com will be a good place for advice on bus lanes.
    Originally posted by Trebor16
    I find the signs at the side of the bus lanes are better.
    • johnfarquhar74
    • By johnfarquhar74 12th May 12, 12:34 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    johnfarquhar74
    • 12th May 12, 12:34 AM
    • 12th May 12, 12:34 AM
    Wasn't me that got caught, it was my son. And he thinks there may be a few more brown envelopes coming through the door.
    Originally posted by BIGEYE
    Whoops, oh dear!?!? If he has genuinely driven in the bus lanes within the posted times I'd suggest paying the fines ASAP so as to take advantage of the 50% window. I know there are a few individuals along with some private hire cab drivers that plan to protest against such fines, but for an individual like you and me, well the rules and regulations are pretty clear!!
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 12th May 12, 1:59 AM
    • 5,949 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    pogofish
    Edinburgh Council have been noted for and repeatedly slammed for being as sloppy as anything with parking enforcement but I'm afraid I've not heard much wrong with bus lane/Red Route enforcement these last few years.

Saying that, I did get let off my one and only speeding ticket a few years back in Edinburgh because the new cameras and order may have been active but the roads dept were late with the changing signs over and still had the old 40 signs up at each end of a stretch that had been reduced to 30.
  • Trebor16
    I find the signs at the side of the bus lanes are better.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Oh dear, another sanctimonious holier than thou type. The OP asked for advice, not judgemental crap.
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 12th May 12, 9:49 AM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    Oh dear, another sanctimonious holier than thou type. The OP asked for advice, not judgemental crap.
    Read the signs - Sounds like good advice to me.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th May 12, 12:57 PM
    • 31,324 Posts
    • 25,855 Thanks
    custardy
    No someone who has driven in Edinburgh for many years.
    Cameras,new
    Greenways and associated rules,over 20 years old.
  • useless git requires wife
    It's started in Glasgow, too.
    ''apply within''
  • Horseunderwater
    As a bus driver of many years - admittedly not up in Scotland - the most annoying thing is drivers intentionally thinking that they can just suddenly shoot in front of a bus driver often with a full standing load and suddenly stop, thereby endangering all in the bus. These drivers say that bus lanes are for all who need to use them in an emergency. Well the 100+ times it happened to me, the car drivers could have pulled in behind my bus and still stopped without causing me to brake suddenly and causing umpteam passengers to fall over. One of which was serious enough to call medics out and have to go to hospital. The child went flying down the bus and hit hard metal pole. So next time tell your child to think about that possible scenario! Oh and by the way if you are caught and decide to fight fine can be £1000 last time I checked. Could be higher in Bonny Scotland.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th May 12, 2:26 PM
    • 31,324 Posts
    • 25,855 Thanks
    custardy
    http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/buslaneenforcement

We have erected bus lane cameras at ten problem sites in the city. Large temporary yellow signs will tell you when the bus lane cameras begin operating near these locations. Permanent signs have also been put up in advance of these locations.
    so not really easy to miss..

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/1274/tickets_clamping_and_removal/449/parking_rules_in_edinburgh/4
    • missile
    • By missile 12th May 12, 4:38 PM
    • 8,148 Posts
    • 3,876 Thanks
    missile
    What I find difficult is the small print on the sings advising what times bus lanes are restricted to a.n.other road users.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th May 12, 4:52 PM
    • 31,324 Posts
    • 25,855 Thanks
    custardy
    What I find difficult is the small print on the sings advising what times bus lanes are restricted to a.n.other road users.
    Originally posted by missile
    small print?

If in doubt,stay out of the bus lane
    • jb66
    • By jb66 12th May 12, 5:17 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    jb66
    When can you enter a bus lane? Turning left Into side street? To zoom up when everyone is turning right and I'm going left? To go round a car indicating right?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th May 12, 5:50 PM
    • 31,324 Posts
    • 25,855 Thanks
    custardy
    When can you enter a bus lane? Turning left Into side street? To zoom up when everyone is turning right and I'm going left? To go round a car indicating right?
    Originally posted by jb66
    You may also cross Greenways to turn into side streets, driveways, car parks or a parking place.
    you can enter to pass through as the above.
    you can't simply decide you aren't waiting and will drive up the bus lane.
    thats why they had to fit cameras and folks are crying now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,710Users online

Martin's Twitter