Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 11th May 12, 1:31 PM
    • 605Posts
    • 2,999Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Make hay whilst the sun shines.
    • 11th May 12, 1:31 PM
    Make hay whilst the sun shines. 11th May 12 at 1:31 PM
    Hello.

I have lurked for yonks and learned so many things from this forum and have now decided to take the plunge and open my own MFW diary. I'm a bit nervous (especially about the part where I reveal our mahoosive mortgage amounts) but every little step I make will help us later in our lives.

Short history of family MM: me with my part time job, OH who is full time employed and two Mini MMs who are at school.

We purchased our current house 9 years ago when OH was working in a very well paid job with lovely bonuses. Never a stable environment though and he was made redundant in '07. We made a decision that he would not go back into the same industry and he got a local job that pays half what he used to earn and doesn't get any bonus. We see him a lot more than we used to though and I believe we're closer as a team than before because of it. And much much happier.

We made a somewhat rash decision (still can't quite understand why! ) to extend the house and work was finished in 2010. we did everything we could by ourselves and an estate agent has confirmed that we added more value to the house than we actually paid in the building work. We did check this out before we started and again since!

Anyhoo, we've now got two gigantical mortgages of £213,000 AND £80,000.

However, this is us. Its where we live and we're not moving. We work hard and lead a fairly quiet life. I now work part time and I also control our finances fairly well but I'm sure there are many who manage better.

As I've been a long-term MSE and have banged on enough about our mortgage, OH has finally decided to jump on board. We're making a start on the smaller of the two mortgages. Not sure what our progress will be like yet. Probably fairly erratic until I really get a handle on things. We've been op'ing a little bit each month but this needs to increase considerably if we're ever to get rid of these millstones.

So, whilst he's all keen as mustard, I thought I'd start my diary. Lets see how it goes. All help and encouragement welcome.

Mrs MM
    MFW 2017 challenge (No.39) £4,469.00 / £3,450.00 (129.54%)
    MFW 2016 challenge (No. 39) £3,791.00 / £3,300.00 (114.88%)
Page 12
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 25th Feb 17, 3:37 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Ta Brizz. I tend to take leftovers too or I make a massive pot of cajun bean stew / curried veg / lentil dhal etc on a Sunday and then divide it up into portions in old takeaway tubs. Mr MM uses all his culinary skills and preps a sandwich every evening! Seriously, that is ALL his culinary skills!

You'll be back to those OPs soon - you are so focused and determined. You are a massive inspiration for me and many others so keep going.
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 4th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Had final tooth implant appointment today and paid the final installment. Glad its over in terms of taking up time, too many mouth injections / stitches to want to remember and taking a huge wedge of money. All money can be directed at other pots now.
    Have work bonus confirmed for end March. We all hit targets so this year we'll get 100% of our bonus which is fab. It'll go 3 ways - mortgage OP; savings 1; savings 2.

Not much else doing this weekend. Took Girl MM to pony and are going again tomorrow. Heading out to see family in the afternoon tomorrow for birthday celebrations. I've made a carrot cake to take along.

No other spending on the horizon for us until next week.
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 24th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Lovely OP of £1024 just made for this month. Very pleasing. Made up of normal overpayment plus 1/3 of my annual bonus. The other 2/3 have gone to savings.

We've finally (13 years of waiting!) ordered a new front door. Money already saved for this but will be putting it on the 0% spending credit card and leaving the ready cash available to us until OH has passed his probation in his new job. Two weeks to go until he starts and he is looking forward to the very short commute.

Easter holidays all planned for child care. Girl MM has a couple of birthday events coming up (her's and others) so there will be some financial outlay there. All ready in savings for that.

Work so busy and I have a constant internal battle between my career and being there for the kids. They're getting older now and should be capable of looking after themselves in the holidays but I don't actually want to leave them at home for 4 days a week. I like my current job but it is all consuming sometimes. Have seen a job in my dream industry that is less hours so have applied for that. Will be a significant drop in salary though. If I get an interview I'll have to seriously consider my options in the event I get offered it!
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 8th Apr 17, 9:18 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Front door all fitted and am super pleased with it

Mr MM had last day at old job yesterday. New one starts Monday - how exciting.

I'm still debating my hours. Have a constant internal struggle re: working vs. holiday childcare. My Mum's situation has changed slightly as my Step-Dad had a bad accident last year and I don't feel as comfortable asking her for help anymore. She's still offering bless her but she has so much on her plate. I work 4 days a week with one day from home (Tuesday). I guess I could leave the kids at home on a Monday, WFH on Tuesday so I'm with them, ask Mum to have them on a Wednesday and then take Thursday as a day off annual leave. Friday is a non-working day for me anyway.

It's not ideal but it might work. Honestly, it gets harder as they're too old for kids clubs but too young to be left alone all week.

I can't be the only one in this situation? Anyone got any pearls of wisdom for me?

Not much to report in money antics. All plodding along.

Right - off to enjoy this beautiful weather.

MM
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 13th Apr 17, 9:04 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    On annual leave this week and some much needed downtime has been fantastic. I'm wafting around in a state of relaxed bliss not seen for sometime! Make mental note to try and balance life a bit better when I'm back at work!

Mr MM enjoying new job. It's odd him being here in the morning - he keeps getting in the way! His commute is now 5 minutes each way compared to 1 hour minimum each way. Much better in terms of work / life balance.

Kids both out at sleepovers last night so am enjoying a couple of hours to myself before I head off to pick them up. Not going to 'achieve' anything - just chilling out catching up with some diaries.

Have managed to overspend on one pot of money by £9 this month. Haven't been keeping a close enough eye on things to work out where it went though! Some forensic investigation required but can't be bothered right now!

MM
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 13th Apr 17, 5:31 PM
    • 7,159 Posts
    • 34,775 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Pearls of wisdom??! not sure about your getting that from me!!

Think you need to follow your instincts. I wouldn't leave them if you're unhappy with that - you need to be happy with your choices. Can a student sit with them perhaps and make sure they do homework?? Sometimes older people and neighbours are happy to help. Maybe ask about and see what people say.

How did your dream job go?

Have a great Easter
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 15th Apr 17, 10:31 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Thanks Brizz. Dream job applications closed on Thursday so I guess they'll be in touch next week or the week after if I have an invitation to interview. Would be nice to get that far but not convinced I've got all the right experience. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained! If it does come off I'll never have childcare worries again as it's mornings only and I'm happy to leave the small people for mornings. They're more than capable of that now.

Still really enjoying the time off. Had family over yesterday and made a mountain of bacon sandwiches then chocolate cake for pudding - very healthy

Off to walk into town in a bit. Want to visit library and need to return summer PJ's for Girl MM as I found alternative ones in Sainsbobs for less ££. Will drop off friends birthday gift on the way.

OH and Boy MM off to a car event this afternoon. They're staying overnight so that they can be there early in the morning tomorrow. I'll be having an MSE girly night in with Girl MM.

Taking pony for long ride tomorrow. It's my version of going to the gym! I'll walk a good 10 miles which should burn off some chocolate calories

Happy Easter everyone.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 16th Apr 17, 9:00 AM
    • 7,159 Posts
    • 34,775 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Love the Easter emojis!! Sounds like a fair swap to me...hope the weather holds for the ride.
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 16th Apr 17, 4:41 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Managed 8 miles with pony today. Not sure who was more tired - him, Girl MM or me! Was lovely to be out though and we found some fantastic new tracks to follow. Weather OK - not too hot and not too cold. Perfect.

Have realised that I managed to miscount the number of grocery shopping weeks in April! Doh. Have got to make the budget last as it's a bit tight this month due to various spendy reasons. Have compiled budget meal plan for dinners. Still need to work out lunches. Think I've got enough breakfast items to last.

Dreading what the boys have spent at motor event. Even burgers from vans seem to cost upwards of £8. Sounds like they're having a good time though so am happy for them.

Right, off to make a shepherds pie. Yum.
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 23rd Apr 17, 9:31 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Boys spent a fair amount at motor sport weekend. Bless him, OH has been Bay of E'ing ever since to try and make amends even a little bit. They had a fab time.

Off to see pony in a mo. He's got chubby so we need to work him more.

Was offered job interview at dream job but then I was given a pay rise, a nice fat one, so I've decided to stay put. Have a few regrets but it will bring retirement closer and easier. Feel a little like I've sold my soul for the money but I so badly want this mortgage reduced / gone.

Had good chat with Mum about childcare and she's 100% certain she still wants to help out. I've also sent our childcare dates to uni student next door as she's helped us out in the past. If she can cover a few weeks this summer we'll be OK.

Gardening this afternoon. Might take the family out for tea and cake too! Just what I fancy.
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 14th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Righto. Quick update.

Still chucking bits at mortgage. Am on target but have had some other expenses lately so not been putting as much towards OP'ing as earlier in the year.

Just completed the 'ditch your fix' calculator and worked out we could move products with our current lender and save £233 per month. So have completed the application and will wait for outcome. Fingers crossed we get it. The £233 saving per month will go straight off the mortgage as an OP so will reduce it even quicker. Happy days.

Got to try and get on top of the food shopping. I need to change my mindset and go back to the days of cooking from scratch as have slipped into convenience foods a little due to busy life. Not ready meals or such but it's the snacks and nice extras that have crept in. Will return to basics for a bit.

Can't wait for holibobs in a couple of weeks. UK this year as went to big US trip last year. Be nice to get away from it and chill out.
    • DeterminedSingleMummy
    • By DeterminedSingleMummy 14th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    DeterminedSingleMummy
    Wow £233 per month just by switching that's amazing! More money to knock off the mortgage with!!

Have you tried meal prepping? I find if I have things ready in my fridge I'm less likely to be tempted in the shops. I do this with fruit as I used to be tempted to get fruit pots all the time which gets expensive but at the beginning of the week I make 5 fruit pots myself and just grab one every morning. I wish I could be one of those people who do all meals for the week but I'm just too lazy. But one or two meals/snacks helps loads and I'm slowly doing more every week.
    Balance at start of mortgage Dec 2011 £87500
    1 Jan 2015 = £73,735 Overpayments = £3,360 (average £280 p/m)
    1 Jan 2016 = £66,558 Overpayments = £4,770 (average £397.50 p/m)
    1 Jan 2017 = £57,756 Overpayments so far Jan £0 Feb £550 Mar £3022 April £690 May £1513 total £5775
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 15th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Hi DSM,
    Food prepping is something I've just lost the plot with! When I was a SAHM I homemade all sorts. Am working pretty much full time at the mo so it's all got a bit tricky.
    What fruit do you put in your pots at the beginning of the week? I love that idea. I could mix grapes, pineapple, blueberries. What else do you mix in?
    I've just made some bread rolls which will see us for lunches next week. And have rice cakes in cupboard to put greek yoghurt and blueberries on.
    Also have crackers with some soft cheese.
    Currently got growing some mini cucumbers which are good to grab and go.
    And nuts! I could make up pots of mixed nuts and dried fruit.
    What else am I missing thats healthy? And filling for teenagers at the same time!
    Any ideas welcome.
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 15th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    And yes - £233 each month would be fab!
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 15th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    • 7,159 Posts
    • 34,775 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    All sounds good. Almonds are my go to snack these days. If you buy from an ethnic supermarket tend to be pretty good value..

Great to have you back
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 16th Jul 17, 8:49 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Thanks Brizz. I do still read but have been so stretched with work and life recently that I just haven't been posting.

Am getting into a better place now though. I have 4 weeks to go until massive work deliverable - the biggest of my entire career. I'm pretty sure all my ducks are in a row but I've got some dependencies on a really flaky colleague which is causing me angst! Can't wait until it's done. Work have promised me that I can have a 'rest' until Christmas and just do my normal job without extra projects - can't wait!

Girl MM still asleep. She's been on a school trip for a week. I picked her up on Friday night (11pm) and she's been barely able to string a proper sentence together ever since! Probably not helped by the swimming party she went to yesterday afternoon.

OH and Boy MM are away this weekend too. Am so proud of boy. He's competing at an event for his hobby and has set a personal best! Looking forward to getting them back tonight.

Made courgette and orange cake yesterday as have a fair amount of courgettes coming through that need using up. Very yum.

Also made chocolate spread. We're trying to go palm oil free for environmental reasons which makes the shopping a tad tricky and has been another reason for losing the plot with the food. Anyway, girl MM misses her Nutella and we've tried a couple from ethical manufacturers but they were dark chocolate and didn't go down as well. Think my effort has been successful! Only trouble is that it needs using within two weeks - not good for the waistline given the main ingredients were butter, sugar and chocolate!
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 22nd Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Turns out I didn't do my numbers properly for the mortgage. When I spoke to the mortgage company, they ran the figures themselves and with the early repayment charge added on, we wouldn't end up saving anything over the remaining duration. Humph. Not to worry.

Had a touch of an embarrassing moment when the mortgage advisor asked me about our plans. I said I threw every spare pound at the mortgage and she said "Yes. I can see that. I'm looking at your account now". Guess she thought it was strange that I literally pay in £1's when we have them. £1 here, £4 there, £2 over there. I report the monthly total on here but pay it pretty much daily! There must be pages of transactions!
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 23rd Jul 17, 8:32 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 3,758 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Nothing embarrassing about paying it off!
    July 2012 £139,642 / Dec 2017 £111,214
    EF - £20,156/£25,000
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 25th Jul 17, 7:37 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Nothing embarrassing about paying it off!
    Originally posted by FloppyDisk
    Guess not FloppyDisk!! It's all going in the right direction s-l-o-w-l-y!
    • DeterminedSingleMummy
    • By DeterminedSingleMummy 26th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    DeterminedSingleMummy
    Hey the fruit pots i make i litereally put anything in them that i know me and DD will eat and whatever I have managed to buy with yellow stickers mainly grapes, blueberries, pineapple, mango, strawberries (whole lasts longer) if you want inspiration just have a look at the fruit pots on the shops and just copy them that's what i do sometimes... see what I want to buy in the shop and then just make it at home
    Balance at start of mortgage Dec 2011 £87500
    1 Jan 2015 = £73,735 Overpayments = £3,360 (average £280 p/m)
    1 Jan 2016 = £66,558 Overpayments = £4,770 (average £397.50 p/m)
    1 Jan 2017 = £57,756 Overpayments so far Jan £0 Feb £550 Mar £3022 April £690 May £1513 total £5775
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,394Posts Today

7,913Users online

Martin's Twitter