Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Evans Halshaw - has anyone been able to get money... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Evans Halshaw - has anyone been able to get money off?
Views: 14,099
# 1
SHOW
Old 08-05-2012, 6:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Evans Halshaw - has anyone been able to get money off?

Hi,
We have been looking to buy a used car from Evans Halshaw. The salesman told us that there is no flexibility in the price as they are competitively priced and they have a 5-day price promise. Just wondering if this is the case or if it's just salesman "flannel"! Has anyone been able to get them to drop their price?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
brightonman123
Old 08-05-2012, 6:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

tell 'em "shame, lets go to (insert local rival dealer here) then, I think they had a better deal.."

NO dealer in their right mind will let a possible sale go- there is ALWAYS room to haggle!
What does the Scroll Lock button do, exactly..?
The Following User Says Thank You to brightonman123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
verityboo
Old 08-05-2012, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

All that matters is - is the price competitive? - if its a good deal then no matter, If its expensive and they won't drop it then go elsewhere
The Following User Says Thank You to verityboo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mikey72
Old 08-05-2012, 7:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonman123 View Post
tell 'em "shame, lets go to (insert local rival dealer here) then, I think they had a better deal.."

NO dealer in their right mind will let a possible sale go- there is ALWAYS room to haggle!
I've never known any car supermarket haggle. They stack them high and sell them cheap. If you walk, it'll sell at the weekend, or go back to auction. But none of the salesmen will get involved in any discounts. And they'd always been cheap to start when I've looked, but it always pays to check.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikey72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
scotsbob
Old 08-05-2012, 7:59 PM

I used to mystery shop car dealers on behalf of a car manufacturer and visited 6 different Evans Halshaw branches in 2010/11. They all offered discounts to close a deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotsbob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
s b
Old 08-05-2012, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsbob View Post
I used to mystery shop car dealers on behalf of a car manufacturer and visited 6 different Evans Halshaw branches in 2010/11. They all offered discounts to close a deal.
i can just imagine you walking round with a pipe and pretending to look in the potted plants when a tieless wonder stalks near
# 7
Jamie1981
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

All depends on a variety of factors such as how long they have had it, hitting sales targets etc.

Do some homework and compare prices for similar vehicles. You should be doing this anyway if you have not already.

Evans Halshaw are cheap from the vehicles they sell locally to me but they have a shocking reputation. I bought an Audi A6 from them around 5 years ago. To be fair to EH, it was an immaculate car that was low mileage with full dealer service history that I verified with the main dealer before purchasing. At this time I had heard about some iffy dealings from them but gave them the benefit of the doubt and judged the car on it's merits.

I paid in full in cash, let them have 3 days to service, MOT etc before picking it up.When I did pick it up it had damage to the trim and a massive crack in the middle of the windscreen. They tried passing it off as there when I looked at the car originally but could not explain how it passed it's MOT with this massive crack 24 hours before I collected. I also checked oil and filters and they were not done either.

It turned out the salesman was using the car for the 3 days until I collected after I had paid for it in full. I rejected the car and told them to put it all right, which they agreed to do, but not before asking me to claim on my insurance for the windscreen and them re-imbursing me the £60 excess.

Please research EH before parting with any cash as I would never use the brand again after my experience. I would rather spend that little bit more from someone who prides themselves on their reputation and has got good, independent reviews.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jamie1981 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Strider590
Old 09-05-2012, 2:44 AM

If the salesman sees that "I want this car" look in your eyes, you won't get him to budge on price.
Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
The Following User Says Thank You to Strider590 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
richard734
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

use the power of the internet

If you are shopping the >6/7k budget, 99% or dealers will either deliver to a franchise dealers near you or right to your door.

Took £3k off the going rate for a Used Kia Sportage Titan by shopping up north and asking them to deliver to the local Kia garage in Milton Keynes.
The Following User Says Thank You to richard734 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
missile
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Evans Halshaw is the last place I would go to buy a car.
Ride hard or stay home
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
missile
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1981 View Post
I paid in full in cash, let them have 3 days to service, MOT etc before picking it up..
I hope you learned from that mistake?
Ride hard or stay home
# 12
Strider590
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missile View Post
Evans Halshaw is the last place I would go to buy a car.
This too, you only need to do a little forum searching to find out why.

The Following User Says Thank You to Strider590 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
BJV
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider590 View Post
If the salesman sees that "I want this car" look in your eyes, you won't get him to budge on price.
Totally true!

In most cases sales executives / people are paid a very low basic and instead get big commission, in another life I used to run a dealership so I really do know. (Worked my way from sales to BM then GM.) It could be structured on profit or number of units they sell or both.

But there will always be room for a deal. The used car market is not in the best shape at the moment so they really will want a deal.

Don't forget these guys are trained to be able sell you are not, but you have the ultimate power as you have the money and the internet. Shop around. There is nothing worse for a sales person than a customer who produces an internet print out of cheaper cars! But guess what at least then they will move on price!
Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
# 14
Ransoman
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I once viewed a car from them. It was a 4 year old Fiat Grande Punto Sporting. Nice car in the spec i wanted and competitivly priced.

On the test drive the Odometer was flashing (signalling a body computer fault) and the engine had no power at all, it was slower than the more basic 8v punto I had tested earlier in the day. When i got back to the dealer i pulled the dipstick out and the oil was jet black. I had never seen oil that black on a petrol car before.

I asked the salesman when it was last serviced, he pulled out the service book and said, quite casually, "It hasn't".

4 years old, 25K+ miles and never been serviced? "not a problem" he said, It will be serviced when it sold. I asked if he would be willing to move on the price because of this. "Not at all" he said so i walked away.

If anyone bought that car i doubt it would last very long.
# 15
mikey72
Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransoman View Post
I once viewed a car from them. It was a 4 year old Fiat Grande Punto Sporting. Nice car in the spec i wanted and competitivly priced.

On the test drive the Odometer was flashing (signalling a body computer fault) and the engine had no power at all, it was slower than the more basic 8v punto I had tested earlier in the day. When i got back to the dealer i pulled the dipstick out and the oil was jet black. I had never seen oil that black on a petrol car before.

I asked the salesman when it was last serviced, he pulled out the service book and said, quite casually, "It hasn't".

4 years old, 25K+ miles and never been serviced? "not a problem" he said, It will be serviced when it sold. I asked if he would be willing to move on the price because of this. "Not at all" he said so i walked away.

If anyone bought that car i doubt it would last very long.
That's what I've always found. Not interested in any bargaining, 100% of the time they'll let the customer walk away, and just move onto the next one. I don't know anyone who has got anything out of a car supermarket on price. One car I looked at (similar story to the above) even finished going to an auction, rather than consider an offer.
# 16
s b
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey72 View Post
That's what I've always found. Not interested in any bargaining, 100% of the time they'll let the customer walk away, and just move onto the next one. I don't know anyone who has got anything out of a car supermarket on price. One car I looked at (similar story to the above) even finished going to an auction, rather than consider an offer.

thats because no motor trader wants to sell a car to a moaning minnie like you
at least we are now getting to the real reason you hate the motor trade
# 17
mikey72
Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s b View Post
I don't hate the motor trade. I've just never met anyone selling cars that was likeable. I'm sure someone loves you though. Maybe.
# 18
Strider590
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey72 View Post
I don't hate the motor trade. I've just never met anyone selling cars that was likeable. I'm sure someone loves you though. Maybe.

You have to admit you can tell a car salesman a mile away, they're always smarmy looking gits with slicked back hair and a constant suntan, they're either wearing a suit or a long dark/black Arthur Daley style coat.

Most dislikeable......

# 19
BJV
Old 10-05-2012, 1:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider590 View Post
You have to admit you can tell a car salesman a mile away, they're always smarmy looking gits with slicked back hair and a constant suntan, they're either wearing a suit or a long dark/black Arthur Daley style coat.

Most dislikeable......
No sorry think you are wrong! Well at least the good ones. When i worked in the motor trade no-one knew. The sad thing was that because everyone has an opinion about sales people I used to say i was a receptionist. Sad really even when I was GM next door just thought I had moved into accounts!

Not every sales person is Arthur Daley!
Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
# 20
borgman
Old 10-05-2012, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've been considering changing to newer Mondeo (mine has 88k on clock) Evans Halshaw are someone I considered. But not after hearing of some of the bad experiences here. But how do you choose where to buy a car from?? Who can you be sure is a trustworthy garage ?
R