Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • brightonman123
    • 8th May 12, 6:55 PM
    tell 'em "shame, lets go to (insert local rival dealer here) then, I think they had a better deal.."

NO dealer in their right mind will let a possible sale go- there is ALWAYS room to haggle!
    Sometimes seen lurking on competitions forum :-)
    • verityboo
    • By verityboo 8th May 12, 6:55 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    verityboo
    All that matters is - is the price competitive? - if its a good deal then no matter, If its expensive and they won't drop it then go elsewhere
  • mikey72
    • 8th May 12, 7:22 PM
    • 8th May 12, 7:22 PM
    tell 'em "shame, lets go to (insert local rival dealer here) then, I think they had a better deal.."

NO dealer in their right mind will let a possible sale go- there is ALWAYS room to haggle!
    Originally posted by brightonman123
    I've never known any car supermarket haggle. They stack them high and sell them cheap. If you walk, it'll sell at the weekend, or go back to auction. But none of the salesmen will get involved in any discounts. And they'd always been cheap to start when I've looked, but it always pays to check.
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 8th May 12, 7:59 PM
    • 4,356 Posts
    • 6,754 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 8th May 12, 7:59 PM
    • 8th May 12, 7:59 PM
    I used to mystery shop car dealers on behalf of a car manufacturer and visited 6 different Evans Halshaw branches in 2010/11. They all offered discounts to close a deal.
    • s b
    • By s b 8th May 12, 8:52 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    s b
    • 8th May 12, 8:52 PM
    • 8th May 12, 8:52 PM
    I used to mystery shop car dealers on behalf of a car manufacturer and visited 6 different Evans Halshaw branches in 2010/11. They all offered discounts to close a deal.
    Originally posted by scotsbob
    i can just imagine you walking round with a pipe and pretending to look in the potted plants when a tieless wonder stalks near
  • Jamie1981
    • 8th May 12, 11:23 PM
    • 8th May 12, 11:23 PM
    All depends on a variety of factors such as how long they have had it, hitting sales targets etc.

Do some homework and compare prices for similar vehicles. You should be doing this anyway if you have not already.

Evans Halshaw are cheap from the vehicles they sell locally to me but they have a shocking reputation. I bought an Audi A6 from them around 5 years ago. To be fair to EH, it was an immaculate car that was low mileage with full dealer service history that I verified with the main dealer before purchasing. At this time I had heard about some iffy dealings from them but gave them the benefit of the doubt and judged the car on it's merits.

I paid in full in cash, let them have 3 days to service, MOT etc before picking it up.When I did pick it up it had damage to the trim and a massive crack in the middle of the windscreen. They tried passing it off as there when I looked at the car originally but could not explain how it passed it's MOT with this massive crack 24 hours before I collected. I also checked oil and filters and they were not done either.

It turned out the salesman was using the car for the 3 days until I collected after I had paid for it in full. I rejected the car and told them to put it all right, which they agreed to do, but not before asking me to claim on my insurance for the windscreen and them re-imbursing me the £60 excess.

Please research EH before parting with any cash as I would never use the brand again after my experience. I would rather spend that little bit more from someone who prides themselves on their reputation and has got good, independent reviews.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 9th May 12, 2:44 AM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 5,537 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 9th May 12, 2:44 AM
    • 9th May 12, 2:44 AM
    If the salesman sees that "I want this car" look in your eyes, you won't get him to budge on price.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • richard734
    • By richard734 9th May 12, 10:05 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    richard734
    • 9th May 12, 10:05 AM
    • 9th May 12, 10:05 AM
    use the power of the internet

If you are shopping the >6/7k budget, 99% or dealers will either deliver to a franchise dealers near you or right to your door.

Took £3k off the going rate for a Used Kia Sportage Titan by shopping up north and asking them to deliver to the local Kia garage in Milton Keynes.
    • missile
    • By missile 9th May 12, 10:15 AM
    • 8,092 Posts
    • 3,846 Thanks
    missile
    Evans Halshaw is the last place I would go to buy a car.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • missile
    • By missile 9th May 12, 10:18 AM
    • 8,092 Posts
    • 3,846 Thanks
    missile
    I paid in full in cash, let them have 3 days to service, MOT etc before picking it up..
    Originally posted by Jamie1981
    I hope you learned from that mistake?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 9th May 12, 10:20 AM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 5,537 Thanks
    Strider590
    Evans Halshaw is the last place I would go to buy a car.
    Originally posted by missile
    This too, you only need to do a little forum searching to find out why.

• BJV
    • By BJV 9th May 12, 10:25 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 2,761 Thanks
    BJV
    If the salesman sees that "I want this car" look in your eyes, you won't get him to budge on price.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Totally true!

In most cases sales executives / people are paid a very low basic and instead get big commission, in another life I used to run a dealership so I really do know. (Worked my way from sales to BM then GM.) It could be structured on profit or number of units they sell or both.

But there will always be room for a deal. The used car market is not in the best shape at the moment so they really will want a deal.

Don't forget these guys are trained to be able sell you are not, but you have the ultimate power as you have the money and the internet. Shop around. There is nothing worse for a sales person than a customer who produces an internet print out of cheaper cars! But guess what at least then they will move on price!
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
  • Ransoman
    I once viewed a car from them. It was a 4 year old Fiat Grande Punto Sporting. Nice car in the spec i wanted and competitivly priced.

On the test drive the Odometer was flashing (signalling a body computer fault) and the engine had no power at all, it was slower than the more basic 8v punto I had tested earlier in the day. When i got back to the dealer i pulled the dipstick out and the oil was jet black. I had never seen oil that black on a petrol car before.

I asked the salesman when it was last serviced, he pulled out the service book and said, quite casually, "It hasn't".

4 years old, 25K+ miles and never been serviced? "not a problem" he said, It will be serviced when it sold. I asked if he would be willing to move on the price because of this. "Not at all" he said so i walked away.

If anyone bought that car i doubt it would last very long.
  • mikey72
    I once viewed a car from them. It was a 4 year old Fiat Grande Punto Sporting. Nice car in the spec i wanted and competitivly priced.

On the test drive the Odometer was flashing (signalling a body computer fault) and the engine had no power at all, it was slower than the more basic 8v punto I had tested earlier in the day. When i got back to the dealer i pulled the dipstick out and the oil was jet black. I had never seen oil that black on a petrol car before.

I asked the salesman when it was last serviced, he pulled out the service book and said, quite casually, "It hasn't".

4 years old, 25K+ miles and never been serviced? "not a problem" he said, It will be serviced when it sold. I asked if he would be willing to move on the price because of this. "Not at all" he said so i walked away.

If anyone bought that car i doubt it would last very long.
    Originally posted by Ransoman
    That's what I've always found. Not interested in any bargaining, 100% of the time they'll let the customer walk away, and just move onto the next one. I don't know anyone who has got anything out of a car supermarket on price. One car I looked at (similar story to the above) even finished going to an auction, rather than consider an offer.
    • s b
    • By s b 9th May 12, 11:22 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    s b
    That's what I've always found. Not interested in any bargaining, 100% of the time they'll let the customer walk away, and just move onto the next one. I don't know anyone who has got anything out of a car supermarket on price. One car I looked at (similar story to the above) even finished going to an auction, rather than consider an offer.
    Originally posted by mikey72

thats because no motor trader wants to sell a car to a moaning minnie like you
    at least we are now getting to the real reason you hate the motor trade
  • mikey72
    Originally posted by s b
    I don't hate the motor trade. I've just never met anyone selling cars that was likeable. I'm sure someone loves you though. Maybe.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 9th May 12, 11:54 AM
    • 10,155 Posts
    • 5,537 Thanks
    Strider590
    Originally posted by s b
    I don't hate the motor trade. I've just never met anyone selling cars that was likeable. I'm sure someone loves you though. Maybe.
    Originally posted by mikey72

You have to admit you can tell a car salesman a mile away, they're always smarmy looking gits with slicked back hair and a constant suntan, they're either wearing a suit or a long dark/black Arthur Daley style coat.

Most dislikeable......

• BJV
    • By BJV 10th May 12, 1:44 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 2,761 Thanks
    BJV
    You have to admit you can tell a car salesman a mile away, they're always smarmy looking gits with slicked back hair and a constant suntan, they're either wearing a suit or a long dark/black Arthur Daley style coat.

Most dislikeable......
    Originally posted by Strider590
    No sorry think you are wrong! Well at least the good ones. When i worked in the motor trade no-one knew. The sad thing was that because everyone has an opinion about sales people I used to say i was a receptionist. Sad really even when I was GM next door just thought I had moved into accounts!

Not every sales person is Arthur Daley!
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
  • borgman
    I've been considering changing to newer Mondeo (mine has 88k on clock) Evans Halshaw are someone I considered. But not after hearing of some of the bad experiences here. But how do you choose where to buy a car from?? Who can you be sure is a trustworthy garage ?
    R
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,039Posts Today

5,645Users online

Martin's Twitter