IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Which companies ignore 'no cold caller' signs?
Views: 13,365
# 21
Better_Off_1983
Old 11-05-2012, 1:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I use any charity bags as a bin liner... half the charities are not genuine!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Better_Off_1983 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
studentnurse112
Old 12-05-2012, 1:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I would really like a sign made for the charities please and especially for the J-witness people. They just can't take no for an answer, I dont need to discuss who I think Jesus is with these people on my door step, if I did I would go to Church or something, But please would they stop knocking on my door every single weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studentnurse112 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
CKhalvashi
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to CKhalvashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better_Off_1983 View Post
I use any charity bags as a bin liner... half the charities are not genuine!
They fit perfectly between the headrests of my car, and having 2 girls (8 and 10), they’re unsurprisingly useful
"It's not important which sexual orientation you have, or the colour of your skin, or if you're thin or not. These are all unnecessary things. The perfect world for me is when we don't have to talk about those things" (C. Wurst)

I am here to help, but reserve the right to be blunt.
Next stop: Tbilisi, Valetta, Vienna
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CKhalvashi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
macutmore
Old 14-05-2012, 5:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to macutmore
Default Time to change

Good as the printable 'No Cold Callers' sign is, perhaps a better worded one should be designed since so many seem to percieve that 'not selling' exempts them from the definition. I even had a Jehovah try & tell me on my doorstep what my sign actually meant! Believing is one thing. Defining is another! Incredible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macutmore For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
pa_5
Old 16-05-2012, 1:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren_lane View Post
As a Jehovah's Witness I go door to door giving a message of hope along with nearly 8million others around the world.
I don't think it's fair to put us in the 'cold caller' bracket. We do not solicit money or want anything from the householder. On the contrary, we offer a message of hope and free bible studies to anyone who wants one.
We do not charge for anything!
We may appear a bit pushy sometimes but please realise that we believe our message is extremely important.
We hear "i'm not interested" quite a bit but a lot of the time it is just a reaction. And if the right questions are posed people very ofetn ask us more questions.
A firm (but nice) no thank you and we will be on our way.
We mean no inconvenience and one day may be able to help you.

When the No Cold Calling zone was set up in our area, it was in response to increasing concern for the welfare and safety of the elderly and vulnerable. The Trading Standards people made it clear that it was aimed at traders.

On the rare occasion that a householder points to their door sign, Jehovah's Witnesses respect their wish and leave politely. The majority of householders never refer to the sign.

Jehovah's Witnesses are willing volunteers who give up their time because they care very much about the people in their community. If a householder shows interest in reading their literature, it's left at no cost. Many people are pleased to hear how the Bible can help them cope with their day to day lives, and also give them comfort in increasingly turbulent times.
The Following User Says Thank You to pa_5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
BobbinAlong
Old 16-05-2012, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

No signs and no physical cold callers - it helps to live up a narrow lane (no parking) out in the wilds of nowhere!
But the PPI companies keep phoning despite registering with the telephone preference service thingy.
The Following User Says Thank You to BobbinAlong For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
jabaji
Old 17-05-2012, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Red face Avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveredinbees!!!! View Post
I don't really consider betterware and Avon cold callers it's not like they try and pressure sell just poke the catalogue in and it's up to you if you look at it.
Actually its correct Avon are NOT cold callers. A catalogue is popped through the door with a note saying it will be collected. At no point are you asked directly to enter into a sale, if you want to buy you do, if not simply put the catalogue back outside the door. You can always tell the rep not to call again.
# 28
jumpycat
Old 18-05-2012, 5:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjustice View Post
I have a clear sign on my door ,they look at me in shock when I tell them to !!!! off and they try to tell me they are not cold calling ,Idiots.
I give to two charities via my wage and have a sign as I do not won't to be disturbed they deserve all they get if they are stupid enough to knock on a door telling them not to .
Well, there's plenty of aggression on this thread! I'm not surprised they look at you in shock - it's appalling behaviour.
It get's on my nerves too when a charity worker etc is overly pushy but how do you know they will be until they've opened their mouth? It could just be an honest family man trying to earn a living, or a mild-mannered individual who truly believes in their charity's work. Or someone who genuinely didn't spot the sign. Even in the rare case it is an "idiot" what's wrong with firmness over rudeness? I don't think that the relatively minor inconvenience of having to open your door and point out the sign really warrants a "they deserve all they get" response. I didn't come on here to defend cold callers, but I think some of the reactions here are worse misdemeanors than those they commit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jumpycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
g0recki
Old 21-05-2012, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

@fannyadams "I don't care that you are from the local politician wanting to tell me how your lot are better than the other lot. I'll vote for who I like based on the literature you push through my door."

That's not why political parties knock on doors (or at least the one I volunteer for). We want to listen to what problems people are having, rather than just telling people what we think their problems are. We also want to get an idea of who intends on supporting us and who doesn't. On top of this, it is more common to see "no junk mail" signs than "no cold callers".

@MSEMartin "People put signs up as they dont want disturbing."

My personal experience is that people with "no cold callers" signs are on the whole no more unhappy about being canvassed than people without such signs. MSE's own free signs explicitly refer to 'buying from you' and 'free advice', which is nothing to do with political canvassing.

Lots of people who don't like salespeople calling round still do want to see their local councillors calling round. There are (very occasionally) people who have made their own signs which specify 'no politics' or similar, who I wouldn't knock. Other than that I think it's absolutely fine cold calling for non-protiable motives. In fact I think our democracy would be in an even worse state if we didn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to g0recki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
ismeval
Old 22-05-2012, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

After printing off your poster and putting it in my front window I have had no probs at all, except once two young men with clip boards started to try and I just asked politely if they had to be able to read to get their job, to which they replied yes of course, so I pointed out the poster in the window - which is next to the door ! They apologised nicely and left ...
However, this morning we had a van touting for business trying to sell memory foam beds - no company name or anything else on their van .. I pointed out the notice and he said it did not apply to them as he did not knock on the door as it was open, and he had a 'street vendors license' - he then got very rude when I said it made no difference I do not want sellers on my property ... and drove off amid foul language (no not from me lol) we have his van number etc and wondered what to do about this ...

Valerie
The Following User Says Thank You to ismeval For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
bandos2007
Old 30-05-2012, 8:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Catalogue Companies aren't an issue

Have to say that I agree with some of the previous posts re Kleeneze, Betterware etc, in general they do not call, they post the catalogue through your door and you leave it outside for them to collect hence they are not really cold calling.
# 32
glock339
Old 30-05-2012, 11:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi there I'm a Firefighter & part of my duties sometimes include going around streets, knocking on peoples doors to offer them free smoke alarm fitted & also an informal fire safety chat only if they want it as well.

I have seen these signs a few times while out & about & have wondered whether I should be knocking on their door or not? I think most people do not mind but I do wonder if I should be?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glock339 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
ismeval
Old 30-05-2012, 1:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Well people with my beliefs most definately were burnt at the stake and some religious fanatics would still like to do so .. I do not want religious folks knocking on my door - if I wanted to believe what they do then I would find a church or something ... I do not go round asking people to believe in my faiths nor do I expect them to and since putting up a notice I have not been bothered .. if folks want to put up notices then it is their choice, same as getting yourself registered with the Telephone Preferencing Service
# 34
ismeval
Old 30-05-2012, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Isn't the above message getting rather repetative now !
# 35
Zebe
Old 30-05-2012, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Zebe

On average we get one or two charity bags through the door each week and a host of takeaway, workman offers, house sale offers etc etc etc. Although not cold calling, it drives me nuts as it has to be dealt with and fills up my black box for recycling
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
ismeval
Old 30-05-2012, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I meant the reply by you which is appearing between every message posted in good faith to this group - that is what is getting repetative and annoying ... and don't be rude and call people pathetic - they are thinking for themselves by putting notices on their doors or not - their choice ...
# 37
ismeval
Old 30-05-2012, 2:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The original heading for this forum was :

Which companies ignore 'no cold caller' signs?

Why are you multi-posting the same message? 'cold callers' seems to suit most of us here who have commented on it
The Following User Says Thank You to ismeval For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
Chutney Queen
Old 30-05-2012, 5:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cold Callers

Whilst this is phone not at the door, Anglian are quite honestly a nightmare. They appear to hound us. We have now done the TPS, but Anglian drove us to distraction. When we told them repeatedly that we'd asked to be removed from their telephone list they would argue with us, they've been known to phone back and be abusive when we've put the phone down, having explained that we have told you more times than we can remember not to keep phoning.
Can't begin to say how despicable I find this company!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chutney Queen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Hollyst1
Old 30-05-2012, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Charities are an issue for us

Lots of charities target the village we live in and call upon what are quite blatantly family homes after 7pm which is bedtime for the majority of children but can also be up until 9pm.

We have a no cold calling sticker but it tends to get ignored.

PDSA
Oxfam
Cancer Research

Are three charities who think they are not classed as cold callers and all hide behind their 'policy' that as they are not selling they are not cold calling.

I do have to applaud the Samaritans do respect people with no cold calling stickers and they have this written into their policies. Just wish all charities and other organisations would follow suit.

I strongly believe that upsetting people and ignoring their wishes is not a good way to gain their trust or get a donation. It's about time that charities stepped up and changed their thinking. Especially as they are collecting for good causes and this kind of behaviour only creates a bad impression and mistrust.

This is a recent response I have had from Oxfam. All the people Ii know who display no cold calling stickers actually want no cold callers full stop! The law may be a bit grey but a sign that says "NO COLD CALLERS" certainly isn't!

---- No Cold Calling signs are so varied and many people do not like salespeople knocking but welcome charities. !For this reason, legislation around No Cold Calling signs is still a grey area. !Oxfam`s Home fundraising policy on Calling in Control Zones (CCCZ’s) is that areas that are clearly designated as Cold Calling Control Zones and are set up according to Trading Standards Institute guidelines that should be observed by fund-raisers. ! ----!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hollyst1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
g4kvi
Old 30-05-2012, 10:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default catalogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLaGuardia View Post
Then leave the catalogue out then Einstein.

If I have ever forgotten to leave it out and they have knocked, I have just given it back and they havn't tried to sell me anything. I hardly think that's cold selling and if you are peturbed about it, you really need to get over it.

Someone is trying to make a living in what is quite a passive way and there is no wasted junk mail if you give it back. If you really don't want to get the catalogue again, just tell them or add a sign saying no catalogues/unaddressed mail. if they ignore that, you have a right to tell them off, but remember the person collecting may not be the same delivering, so be polite!
We deliver Better ware catalogues we put the book through a door and come back to pick it up on the day quoted. If it is not out we put a note to ask if it could be left the next day. 90% come back. Some wish we would not leave a book and put a note saying 'please do not leave again' and we don't. It is VERY simple and it means that we can give the book to someone who does wish to see one. All so very simple but many people just like to stress them selves out.
The Following User Says Thank You to g4kvi For This Useful Post: Show me >>