IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Co-operative Bank-reclaiming bank charges
Views: 19,531
# 1
spuddy puddin
Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cooperative bank

well ive just posted letter to bank asking for details of charges so here goes
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
BLUESUNSHINE
Old 14-02-2007, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cooperative Bank

Hi all ,

i was wondering if anybody out there has claimed off the coop bank yet .

Any information would be appreciated
# 3
Edinburghlass
Old 14-02-2007, 2:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'm sure there are other threads re Cooperative bank but it seems quite difficult to find using the search.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 4
BLUESUNSHINE
Old 14-02-2007, 2:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks Edinburghlass,

i couldnt find any either so i thought i'd start a new thread about the coop bank and keep tabs on the replies
# 5
jackieB
Old 06-03-2007, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Co-operative Bank-reclaiming bank charges

I was fuming as they charged me 105 spread over three days with three envelopes charging me 35 each item I had gone overdrawn with. I have followed Martins format and wrote requesting my money back. That was a fortnight ago. I have opened a parachute account.
I have now gone to stage two and am about to post the threat of court action letter as they have not replied to the first. All they did was to offer me a premium account!!.
Watch this space.
# 6
BLUESUNSHINE
Old 08-03-2007, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi JackieB ,

please keep me informed of developements with the cooperative bank as i intend to claim off them when i recieve my list of charges
# 7
cloth ears
Old 12-03-2007, 7:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

have sent letter off asking co op bank to refund charges with interest on my credit card account. Gave them 14 days to reply but nothing yet one week to go before I send next letter before taking court action.
# 8
jackieB
Old 13-03-2007, 5:41 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I had a letter back saying there were sorry I am disappointed about their service and a customer services chap would be ringing me within 7 days after they view the account urgently.
7 days were up yesterday and no one rang. So I plan to send them a letter today threatening court action if they dont cough up!!.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackieB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
manda1578
Old 13-03-2007, 10:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The co op have sent me a letter and enclosing dates, commission, then debit interest and the last column is fees, so I am quite confused which columns I should claim back from can anyone help me understand this?
The Following User Says Thank You to manda1578 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
jackieB
Old 14-03-2007, 7:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

All I got was a grovelling letter saying they were sorry about the service and they would look into it . I phoned thgem yesterday and the guy told me the 7 days were not up till wednesday(today) and said someone will phone. I told him I had the letter ready to post re threatening them with court action. So if I dont get satisfaction by 5pm I will post the letter. I also wrote to the Independant newspaper about the co-op bank as they also are campaigning against excessive bank charges.
Ive opened a parachute account just in case.
# 11
spuddy puddin
Old 14-03-2007, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

well i sent my letter asking for details of charges but have heard nothing my chq has not been cashed i didnt send it by recorded delivery so maybe they will say they not had it any ideas anybody?
# 12
cloth ears
Old 16-03-2007, 8:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

CO-OP BANK -Have received a reply to my first letter saying someone will contact me by phone or letter within 7 days. As this will be just over 14 days since I originally wrote to them I will wait and see if they do before going onto LBA.
# 13
LilDevil
Old 17-03-2007, 3:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Talking Success with Coop

I've had success with the Coop - they refused to pay the interest and also some of the charges as they'd reduced them to within the OFT's guidelines.

They settled really quickly - within the original 14 days I asked for - see my sigs below!!!!

Angie
The Following User Says Thank You to LilDevil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
angelsmum
Old 17-03-2007, 4:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda1578 View Post
The co op have sent me a letter and enclosing dates, commission, then debit interest and the last column is fees, so I am quite confused which columns I should claim back from can anyone help me understand this?
Im just about to send a request for a refund of my unpaid item fees, as the co op seem to take the first letter litterally and only send a copy of the fees encurred and not statements it is really difficult to know what can and cant be claimed, so Im just claiming the standard 35 unpaid item fees, which on statements are referred to as Commission, but on fees letter are under the FEES heading, if I could understand it better I would also claim back the interest on these fees, so I think Im losing out, unless anyone can clarify what else can be claimed, it just isnt clear on the letter, wish they'd sent my statements, but Im not waiting another 40 or more days!
# 15
Toby321
Old 17-03-2007, 5:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Co-Operative Bank

I sent my second letter to the Co-operative Bank asking for my charges to be refunded plus interest. They refunded the charges less the interest. Can I still ask for the interest by proceeding to the small claims court?

The Co-Operative said debit interest was not included in the OFT statement and that the refund was as a gesture of goodwill on this occasion only.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toby321 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Edinburghlass
Old 17-03-2007, 5:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If this is the 8% interest that you asked for this is added by the court only if you actually start a court action. You have to accept the offer as it is in full settlement of your claim.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 17
BLUESUNSHINE
Old 19-03-2007, 12:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default The Cooperative bank ..... incompetant or stalling ??

The Cooperative bank ..... incompetant or stalling ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent a request to the coop bank on 1st march .I sent it recorded delivery and they recieved it on the 2nd march .
Ive just phoned them as ive not heard anything from them although its only been 17 days now only to be told that they can't find any trace of my request even though Royal mail have confermed it was signed for .
Further more it took half an hour of being put on hold to find this out .
And their response was ............ "Can you send the request in again ??"
I told them that they only had 23 days left in which to supply me with the infomation they requested and all they could say was " you'll have to send the request in again and it will be 40 days from when we recieve it "

What should i do ???

Send the request in again or write them another letter telling them it's not my fault that the request has been lost and that i regard the 40 day period as starting from when they originally signed for the first letter ???
# 18
Ponygirl
Old 21-03-2007, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Bluesunshine and others chasing Co-op bank charges .... I sent my DPA request in on the 2nd March and called last week. I asked for the Data Protection Officer, and was put through to someone who was very helpful and explained that due to the 'backlog' they would be dealing with requests from the first week of March around the 22nd ... she gave me her direct dial to call if I hadn't received it by the end of this week! will keep you posted ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ponygirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
BLUESUNSHINE
Old 21-03-2007, 6:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi ponygirl ,

any chance of having the data protection officers direct number ?
# 20
Ponygirl
Old 28-03-2007, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Bluesunshine
Just at work ... will look it up and get back you you and others! Am about to phone and give her hell anyway as still haven't received my list of charges and am itching to send my 2nd letter ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ponygirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>