IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Private Pension £1000 Bonus
Views: 24,831
# 1
alcol
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Angry Private Pension £1000 Bonus

Just had a call from 08435 400911 with a recorded message saying people born after 1952 may be entitled to a £1000 bonus.

I pressed 5 to find out more about it, I was asked if I had a private pension or a frozen private pension and then the lady I spoke to said she would get an advisor to call me back.

A lady phoned me back, she said they would get a financial advisor to look at my pension and see if it was in the right place and working hard enough, I said that was not what the call said and asked her about the £1000 bonus.

Basically they are a marketing company that pass your information on to financial advisors, and if you take up the advice they give you you may get £1000. I asked for the details of the financial advisors, but she would only say they have a number of them all over the country.

I'm not happy with giving my information to complete unknowns, so I told her I wasn't interested.

Seems like this is the next round of recorded message claims phone calls we will all be getting
Overpaying on mortgage and hoping to be mortgage free in 5 years saving approx £35,000 in interest!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alcol For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Starbrite
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had that recorded message at work last week......... I simply hung up! Just like the PPI calls and all the other recorded messages out there.....
Saving 2,000 in 2013!
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbrite For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dunstonh
Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

There are some scams in pensions where third party unregulated companies cold call and say and do things that a regulated company cannot. They then refer your case to regulated companies who may buy your data or share the earnings. The regulated company may not do anything wrong but the lies you have been told so far indicate the introducing company certainly has.

Our compliance company recently issued some warnings on these introducing companies telling us to avoid them at all costs as they feel the regulator is only a short time away from taking action against them and it is the regulated company that will end up taking the flak.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Summer Sky
Old 27-07-2012, 11:39 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Empty Promises!

I just found that same message on my answerphone; thought "something for nothing these days?? No way". Glad you had the answer for me. Cheers
# 5
yangptangkipperbang
Old 27-07-2012, 2:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Sky View Post
I just found that same message on my answerphone;
These people must be getting desperate - I got an answer machine solely because these pests normally don't leave a message............ they go and pester someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to yangptangkipperbang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
hkjroberts
Old 16-08-2012, 1:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default £1000 Bonus on the phone

I got that phone call today - just about sick of getting up and down to answer these waste of time calls!!
# 7
Starbrite
Old 16-08-2012, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

TPS

I registered work and my home numbers so far no nusinace calls takes a few weeks to kick in but worth siging up to
Saving 2,000 in 2013!
# 8
dunstonh
Old 16-08-2012, 2:36 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

And just for reference, with pensions, any payment made directly to you is classed as an unauthorised payment by HMRC and would result in it falling foul of HMRC rules. They can charge upto 55% penalty and make you return it to the pension.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
House owner
Old 17-08-2012, 2:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am registered with the TPS, but I still get nuisance calls
# 10
DisappointedSteve
Old 23-08-2012, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am not registered with TPS. I never hit 5 or 9. I always let the recording go to the end and don't hang up until it disconnects. That way, the system is delayed and cannot ring so many people. If everyone did that, the effectiveness will fall and their costs will go up. The disappointing thing is that there are people out there who are naive enough to follow these things up. More disappointing is the corrosive effect on society as a whole, as more people end up not trusting anybody than get scammed. When you don't trust anybody, you feel totally alone. Is it any wonder that so many are taking anti-depressants!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DisappointedSteve For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
ktcov
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I got this call today and I am registered with TPS (I get loads of nuisance calls).

I pressed 5 but then it sounded like it was transferred to a foreign country (the line sounded unclear) so I hung up.
# 12
Freecall
Old 04-10-2012, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am also registered with the TPS and got the call - irritating but there is nothing you can do but hang up.
# 13
davidsian
Old 11-10-2012, 5:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just had this call myself. Recorded message from a girl with a slight Newcastle accent - tel no. 01777557001.
Telling me that as I was between 55 and 60 I could be entitled to £1000 bonus on my private pension. Press 5 to find out more or 9 if you've already been contacted - or something like that.
Naturally I ignored it.
As I'm registered with TPS can I take action against the holder of the phone number?
# 14
imho
Old 24-10-2012, 3:43 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I just had the same call but it was from a international number. It was a British voice on the recording saying press button 5 or 9.
I didnt do anything as knew it had to be a scam.
# 15
RichandJ
Old 24-10-2012, 4:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imho View Post
I just had the same call but it was from a international number. It was a British voice on the recording saying press button 5 or 9.
I didnt do anything as knew it had to be a scam.
Anyone cold calling you for anything to do with financial matters (and almost any other matters) is going to be someone you should avoid.
It only takes one tree to make a thousand matches, it only takes one match to burn a thousand trees. As well, the cars are all passing me, bright lights are flashing me.

Johnny Was. Once.

Why did he think "systolic" ?
The Following User Says Thank You to RichandJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
DocBambs
Old 04-12-2012, 2:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

And it's still going - I've just had the same call.

It makes a nice change from the PPI claim and "1 minute" marketing calls. I had a run of callers asking what make of washing machine I have - I told them I washed my clothes in the stream at the bottom of the garden - they didn't seem impressed and hung up.

DB
# 17
WrinklyMedic
Old 11-12-2012, 4:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Spread the word --- DO NOT RESPOND IN ANY WAY!
Unsolicited telephone call ?? (even if they say they know your name etc.)
A Text Message offering you money for nothing ??
Could this be a SCAM or Marketing ploy to get you on a hook (and a database they can sell, with you as a 'Responder!!' )
Yes it probably is!
IF you respond in any way you WILL get even more contacts!
If you want more Scam calls and Texts - Respond to these calls and texts.

IF NOT -- Delete the text message with NO RESPONSE and DO NOT Press any key on a 'phone call. Also, leaving the 'phone 'off the hook', letting them finish their blurb, talking to themselves, you will increase their costs and slow down their automatic dialler from contacting the next random number.
Hope this helps.
# 18
Lavendyr
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freecall View Post
I am also registered with the TPS and got the call - irritating but there is nothing you can do but hang up.
I got one of these calls today. I looked on the TPS website and apparently phone calls which play pre-recorded messages are not covered by the TPS!? However if you have not given consent to receive such calls they may be in breach of other regulations and you can complain to the ICO.

From the TPS website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPS
Telephone Preference Service (TPS) will help reduce receipt of live unsolicited direct marketing calls but will not stop pre- recorded calls.

Organisations that use recorded phone message to try and sell or promote their products or services have to comply with the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. These say that marketers who leave recorded phone messages must obtain prior consent from the subscriber before they can make such a call.

Where a subscriber receives a recorded phone message they haven't agreed to there may have been a breach of the regulations. If you are receiving recorded messages and have not given prior permission and can identify the organisation leaving the message, you can complain directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), who are the body responsible for enforcing the above regulation. Their details are:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Tel: 03031231113
Web: www.ico.gov.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Lavendyr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
fwor
Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrinklyMedic View Post
Spread the word --- DO NOT RESPOND IN ANY WAY!
This is completely wrong. It costs them almost nothing for their auto-dialling computers to stay on the line to you.

What costs them money is having a ~person~ on the line to you - so what everyone should do is select 5 and then sit back and listen to someone who is paid to sell things saying "Hello?". It helps if you occasionally say "Hello?" back to keep them going...
# 20
DaveinOxford
Old 12-03-2013, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Private Pensions

Why would anyone in there right mind discuss there financial affairs with an unknown caller.