Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Buy and Import a Motorhome from America (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Buy and Import a Motorhome from America
Closed Thread
Views: 11,321
# 1
1957scooby
Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Buy and Import a Motorhome from America

I'm a newbie to this forum....I am selling my home via auction later this month and if it sells plan to move into a large American Motor Home (or RV as the yanks call them). Prices in England are high for anything large and decent. I have been looking on eBay and have considered buying from America (in or outside of an eBay auction) and then shipping to UK. I am looking for peoples opinions on this idea and how much I would be paying in all taxes once it lands and is registered in the UK (I am looking to spend upto £30K). Whats the biggest Motorhome I can legally drive for someone who passed his test pre-1997...I believe it's 7.5 ton but would like this confirming.
# 2
Nile
Old 05-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hello 1957scooby

Welcome to the MSE site.

I'll move your thread to the 'Motoring & Public Transport' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.

Regards

Nile
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
# 3
gazhawkins
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Buying in the USA and exporting it sounds like your best bet. You can drive a 7.5 tonne lorry on a standard car licence, as far as I know.

Few things worth considering: the vehicle may be subject to duty on import to UK, (check), some US states DON'T have sales taxes (eg Nevada and Montana), pre-1973 cars are not subject to duty (may apply to motorhomes).

Lastly, think about buying in the Winter as prices could be lower - a bit like buying convertables in the UK.
The Following User Says Thank You to gazhawkins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Anon
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You will also need to consider the size - I am sure I read somewhere that some American vehicles are not legally allowed on UK roads as they are too wide.

Anon
# 5
Hermione54
Old 06-03-2007, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Anon is correct. The legal limit for width is 100 inches (or whatever that is in metric) and some American RV's are more than this. One owner lost all his money and his house fighting a dealership who sold him one and lost because apparently is it legal to sell an over-width RV, but not to drive one on the public roads!
# 6
knightstyle
Old 05-10-2007, 1:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you intend taking it abroad check the requirements for that country.
Will you register it in the UK? If not be VERY careful. Here in France people have had to put in extra vents, fire escape windows and take out the automatic gas bottle changeover systems on imported motorhomes.
Anyway, ENJOY your time with it!
# 7
Iamthesmartestmanalive
Old 05-10-2007, 1:45 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

There are companies out there that will customise vehicles to your requirements

Why not look at buying a large road legal UK van/lorry and having it customised into a motorhome which meets your requirements?
# 8
Brooke Daver
Old 06-10-2007, 12:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957scooby View Post
I'm a newbie to this forum....I am selling my home via auction later this month and if it sells plan to move into a large American Motor Home (or RV as the yanks call them). Prices in England are high for anything large and decent. I have been looking on eBay and have considered buying from America (in or outside of an eBay auction) and then shipping to UK. I am looking for peoples opinions on this idea and how much I would be paying in all taxes once it lands and is registered in the UK (I am looking to spend upto £30K). Whats the biggest Motorhome I can legally drive for someone who passed his test pre-1997...I believe it's 7.5 ton but would like this confirming.
Factor in transport to the port and shipping, shipping anything bigger than a car is expensive.

You'll need to pay VAT and duty, and customs clearing port charges which can add up.

Next you'll need to get it SVA'd.

Remember that in America lots of RVs and even large trucks have petrol engines which make them hopelessly expensive to run, ensure you only get a diesel, and make sure it's a cummins caterpiller isuzu as otherwise service parts could be an issue.

Also consider that your new giant box like vehicle will be LHD, so it might not be all that fun to drive.

To be honest it will be easier and cheaper to find one that's already been imported.
# 9
coupleuk
Old 21-10-2008, 7:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I know this topic is old, but it contains a LOT of incorrect info.

For the facts, you could visit the RV Owners Association at www.rvoa.co.uk

Paul
Closed Thread