Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    PGSchick
    List of Banks not doing contactless cards
    • 30th Apr 12, 4:18 PM
    List of Banks not doing contactless cards 30th Apr 12 at 4:18 PM
    They all seem to be sending these annoying contactless cards out now, and I was hoping that somewhere there was a list of banks that wont be having these or that you can have a card without it as I dont want it.

I've just had to cancel 2 credit cards due to being told that the new cards issued by them can only have the contactless thing in them , and one bank account.

I dont want it, its not necessary for me, so if there is a list of banks/credit cards that dont do or inversly that do - so I can avoid them, can someone list it on here.

If not then please can MoneySavingExpert do an investigation on how to avoid being contactless, please
Page 5
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 20th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Just cancelled our Tesco credit card as they sent new contactless cards and they do not offer a contactless option..
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    They clearly do offer a contactless option if they sent you one.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 20th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 10,153 Posts
    • 20,958 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    They clearly do offer a contactless option if they sent you one.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    Sorry missed out non

I am looking for a credit card provider that offers a non contactless option.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 20th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Sorry missed out non

The HSBC credit card is not contactless:

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/credit-cards/credit-card
    • Tarian
    • By Tarian 25th Mar 17, 1:05 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Tarian
    Saving 2 to 3 seconds per transaction just isn't worth it.

After spotting 2 unknown debits via online banking, it took nearly 3 phone calls and over half an hour to report a missing contactless card.
    That's hardly a great trade-off !

Losing a contactless card is like dropping cash - it can be used immediately - as I discovered.

My lost card was used less than 15 minutes after the first moment it could have been mislaid.

I've seen some clever-clogs say "don't lose your card then".
    Maybe .... but who's perfect ?
    Losing a non-contactless card is not like losing cash - as immediate attempts require a PIN.

If a cashier said "Give me your wallet so I can take 30" ... how many people would hand it over ?
    And how many insurance companies would pay out if you left your door unlocked .......?

Contactless makes no sense on any reasonable level.
    Being forced on customers is criminally insane !
    Last edited by Tarian; 25-03-2017 at 1:06 AM. Reason: clarity
    • jadex
    • By jadex 25th Mar 17, 4:39 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    jadex
    Sorry missed out non

Sainsbury's Bank - not an option though as all their cards are non-contactless
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 27th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    rhysadams
    The first time you use contactless, it will ask for a PIN. However, when I spoke to both RBS and Nationwide, they both issued me with a non-contactless card. I then saw the benefits of it, and asked for it back.
    • SallyUK
    • By SallyUK 27th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 7,011 Thanks
    SallyUK
    I have as Halifax Cardcash Visa Debit account and that doesn't give me a contactless card - although I wish it would!
    Sal
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 27th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 10,153 Posts
    • 20,958 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Saving 2 to 3 seconds per transaction just isn't worth it.

After spotting 2 unknown debits via online banking, it took nearly 3 phone calls and over half an hour to report a missing contactless card.
    That's hardly a great trade-off !

Losing a contactless card is like dropping cash - it can be used immediately - as I discovered.

My lost card was used less than 15 minutes after the first moment it could have been mislaid.

I've seen some clever-clogs say "don't lose your card then".
    Maybe .... but who's perfect ?
    Losing a non-contactless card is not like losing cash - as immediate attempts require a PIN.

If a cashier said "Give me your wallet so I can take 30" ... how many people would hand it over ?
    And how many insurance companies would pay out if you left your door unlocked .......?

Contactless makes no sense on any reasonable level.
    Being forced on customers is criminally insane !
    Originally posted by Tarian

This is my worry.

I can go for days/weeks without using my credit card and therefore it could be a while before I might realise it had lost/been stolen etc.

In that time they could rack up quite a lot of transactions and I do not think the bank would refund if they had not been notified more or less straight away.

Fine for those that want it but as you say it should not be forced on cusomers and I do not understand why Tesco are doing this. Their loss as we closed our account that we have had for years and spent thousands on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin