Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    PGSchick
    List of Banks not doing contactless cards
    • 30th Apr 12, 4:18 PM
    List of Banks not doing contactless cards 30th Apr 12 at 4:18 PM
    They all seem to be sending these annoying contactless cards out now, and I was hoping that somewhere there was a list of banks that wont be having these or that you can have a card without it as I dont want it.

I've just had to cancel 2 credit cards due to being told that the new cards issued by them can only have the contactless thing in them , and one bank account.

I dont want it, its not necessary for me, so if there is a list of banks/credit cards that dont do or inversly that do - so I can avoid them, can someone list it on here.

If not then please can MoneySavingExpert do an investigation on how to avoid being contactless, please
Page 4
  • nhserv
    So in the name of convenience. Banks have provided customers and retailer something a large % have asked for... Faster processing of small payments made via card.
    Originally posted by dalesrider
    Really? Where's your evidence for such an assertion? It seems clear to me, from this forum and other sources, that there are a great many, like me, who have had this forced on them whether they like it or not. And we're all entitled to our opinions without others being sarcastic and calling us "luddites" etc.

I have been the victim of fraud and I have an Oyster card - and I don't see why I have to change my behaviour to something less convenient for me (like keeping al the cards separate) just because the bank want to do something.

We should have the choice.
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 15th Feb 14, 2:01 PM
    • 9,339 Posts
    • 7,379 Thanks
    Archi Bald

Originally posted by nhserv
    I believe you can still find current account providers that don't do contactless cards (Santander, Nationwide), or who issue non-contactless as the default (TSB?). So you do have a choice.

Asking for all banks to offer the same is not realistic. It would be like asking all supermarkets to stock the same food.
    • bengal-stripe
    • By bengal-stripe 15th Feb 14, 2:25 PM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 2,009 Thanks
    bengal-stripe
    So you do have a choice.
    Originally posted by Archi Bald
    At present you have the choice. Change bank if you need to!

(But if you have the choice in perpetuity, has to be seen.)
    • mrmadcat
    • By mrmadcat 15th Feb 14, 8:18 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    mrmadcat
    i have still yet to hear of/see online any crimes that are due to the contactless bit of a card.

and the banks all say if you were out of pocket because of it they will refund you.

those little scanners pick up the long card number and expiry date - there's really not much you can do with that anyway if u did get it? it's also given any time you use your card in any shop...this is usually displayed on a screen/receipt and any person who works in a shop can get access to it...so i don't see why people are suddenly concerned about this?
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 15th Feb 14, 8:46 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    Uxb
    Really? Where's your evidence for such an assertion? It seems clear to me, from this forum and other sources, that there are a great many, like me, who have had this forced on them whether they like it or not.
    Like all forum members of all forums everywhere on the internet you think that yours and a few other's comments are representative of the views of the population/users as a whole.
    In practice comments from the few sufficiently outraged to comment about whatever it is that they are offended by represent a microscopic fraction of the company's subscriber base. The other XX million users frankly don't give a toss.

I'm old enough to remember when cash ATM came in and we had the same stuff in the papers then about how it was going to be the end of the world with the new fangled cards with pin's to actually remember which would be impossible of course and were all going to run out of cash, how nobody wanted them...and so on.
    • GingerFurball
    • By GingerFurball 15th Feb 14, 8:50 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    GingerFurball
    I believe you can still find current account providers that don't do contactless cards (Santander, Nationwide), or who issue non-contactless as the default (TSB?). So you do have a choice.

Asking for all banks to offer the same is not realistic. It would be like asking all supermarkets to stock the same food.
    Originally posted by Archi Bald
    Lloyds allow you to opt out of contactless debit cards if you don't want one.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th Feb 14, 12:08 PM
    • 7,322 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    pmduk
    I'm old enough to remember when cash ATM came in and we had the same stuff in the papers then about how it was going to be the end of the world with the new fangled cards with pin's to actually remember which would be impossible of course and were all going to run out of cash, how nobody wanted them...and so on.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    The same sort of people probably complained about the introduction of the wheel.
    • iAMaLONDONER
    • By iAMaLONDONER 29th Mar 14, 4:57 PM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    iAMaLONDONER
    Keep each of the cards on different sides of your wallet, and separate the two with a small piece of aluminium foil. This will prevent them from interfering with each other.

Then simply tap the relevant side of the wallet onto the reader.
    Originally posted by Barns
    Won't work if you have more than 2 CPCs!
    • bryanb
    • By bryanb 29th Mar 14, 5:56 PM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    bryanb
    Anyone know if the chip in a bus pass works to protect a contactless debit card?
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
    • Telegraph Sam
    • By Telegraph Sam 18th Aug 15, 7:50 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Telegraph Sam
    Update
    May be someone could give me / us an update on the original title of this thread. I have just been given the usual "technological progress" spiel** by Barclaycard in response to my mistaken belief that with Visa as opposed to Mastercard one had the option to opt out. I believe that First Direct and HSBC still offer the security of PIN's - are they the only ones now???

[** to which my response is that in the event of the contactless card getting into the wrong hands, and these hands knowing how to take advantage of its limitations, the onus is on me, not on the card issuer, to spot and report the loss. Depending on the circumstances this could take some time - bank statements come only once a month and don't always get checked as thoroughly as may be desireable ...]
    Telegraph Sam
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 18th Aug 15, 9:13 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    Kim_13
    NatWest definitely don't allow you to opt out. This was my final straw with them after 5+ years. I started using my then second account with Nationwide as my main account. I have a card from them that isn't contactless (issued 2013) but according to their website, they now offer it. Whether they allow an opt out, time will tell.

Edit: I had a TSB card issued this year and it isn't contactless.
    Last edited by Kim_13; 18-08-2015 at 9:31 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Aug 15, 9:55 PM
    • 29,566 Posts
    • 18,689 Thanks
    DCFC79
    May be someone could give me / us an update on the original title of this thread. I have just been given the usual "technological progress" spiel** by Barclaycard in response to my mistaken belief that with Visa as opposed to Mastercard one had the option to opt out. I believe that First Direct and HSBC still offer the security of PIN's - are they the only ones now???

[** to which my response is that in the event of the contactless card getting into the wrong hands, and these hands knowing how to take advantage of its limitations, the onus is on me, not on the card issuer, to spot and report the loss. Depending on the circumstances this could take some time - bank statements come only once a month and don't always get checked as thoroughly as may be desireable ...]
    Originally posted by Telegraph Sam
    Well make you don't lose said card or use cash instead of cards.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • parksajj
    • By parksajj 18th Aug 15, 11:32 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    parksajj
    NatWest definitely don't allow you to opt out. This was my final straw with them after 5+ years. I started using my then second account with Nationwide as my main account. I have a card from them that isn't contactless (issued 2013) but according to their website, they now offer it. Whether they allow an opt out, time will tell.

Edit: I had a TSB card issued this year and it isn't contactless.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    I wouldn't be proud of that!

It basically means that Lloyds see you as a credit risk.

Contactless technology is safe, secure and convenient. If you don't like it then don't use your debit card for purchases!! Get a credit card!
    • olliebean
    • By olliebean 19th Aug 15, 12:05 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    olliebean
    Contactless technology is safe, secure and convenient. If you don't like it then don't use your debit card for purchases!! Get a credit card!
    Originally posted by parksajj
    You know those are contactless too, now?
    2016 Survey earnings:
    Cash £427.30 Amazon Vouchers £230
    Total £697.30
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 19th Aug 15, 12:17 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I do use a credit card for most spending. Contactless unfortunately, but I feel a little more comfortable with it on there.
    • Telegraph Sam
    • By Telegraph Sam 19th Aug 15, 12:05 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Telegraph Sam
    "Well make you don't lose said card or use cash instead of cards"
    Rather destroys the case for using a card in the first place, contactless or whatever.

"Contactless technology is safe, secure ...."
    I've heard this mantra often enough now not to take it at face value. No one but no one has yet given me a reason for giving up the extra security layer of PIN numbers. Even a manager at MBNA said to me off the record that he personally would go for PINs.

" .. and convenient". Very marginal improvement at best in return for reduced security. No deal for me.

I hope the system can come up with a reasonably comprehensive list of non-contactless cards on offer. My Sainsburys Mastercard looks to be non contactless.
    Last edited by Telegraph Sam; 19-08-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Afterthought
    Telegraph Sam
    • AlienSurfer
    • By AlienSurfer 10th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AlienSurfer
    Just contacted my provider recently as I had received a new card as the old was due to expire. New card was contactless, I requested a non-contactless card over secure mail online banking and it was no hassle for them - they are sending me out a new card without the RFID chip or antenna rubbish.

I honestly cannot see any reason for contactless payment at all. Zero. It is about 1 second quicker to make the payment than using chip and PIN, but without the security of entering a PIN authorisation.

For those people who need to keep putting their card in and taking it back out because the chip won't be read, granted that the card readers aren't cleaned and do play-up, but it's mostly a dirty card. I worked in retail and saw this happen so many times it was annoying. That and dosey people forgetting their PIN.

Up until very recently I would only pay in cash. I'd withdraw real money from an ATM (after checking the ATM over first), and use that over a couple of weeks, or until I needed to get some more 'money out'.
    I would only use my debit card for Chip and PIN payments in retailers where I knew the system was 'safe', which is a relative term as the data seems to be a target for hacking, encrypted or otherwise.

I do purchase online, using another account which I transfer the amounts needed into. Essentially, I firewall my online spending through this method.

I bank online using a LiveBoot Linux Distro, which I have on USB flash. Yes, on a non-recordable medium would be safer (burnt CD-R), but I have the SHA hash checks of the data on the USB drive, and compare before use.

Paranoid? Well, yes a little. But I still see no purpose for contactless payments. It's going to be an embedded chip in the arm before long...oh wait a company already does that to their (willing) employees instead of using swipe cards (Epicenter, Stockholm, Sweden).
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 10th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Paranoid? Well, yes a little.
    Originally posted by AlienSurfer
    Very, and unreasonably, actually.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 19th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 10,342 Posts
    • 21,411 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Just cancelled our Tesco credit card as they sent new contactless cards and they do not offer a non contactless option.

Does anyone know of a credit card which offers a non contactless option please?

Thank you.
    Last edited by POPPYOSCAR; 20-03-2017 at 1:14 PM.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 19th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    • 11,908 Posts
    • 10,293 Thanks
    jimjames
    Just cancelled our Tesco credit card as they sent new contactless cards and they do not offer a contactless option.

Does anyone know of a credit card which offers a contactless option please?

Thank you.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Barclays, MBNA, Nationwide, Clydesdale do

Sainsburys seem don't offer it
    Last edited by jimjames; 20-03-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,476Posts Today

5,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin