IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Homeswapper rant!
Views: 3,846
# 1
cazzap06
Old 29-04-2012, 4:53 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Homeswapper rant!

I've been on Homeswapper for 7 months now & pay for it & am looking to DOWNSIZE from a LOVELY 3 bed Victorian conversion into a smaller cozy 2 bed house

I had alot of interest from people who didn't even read my ad / what I was looking for but had some LOVELY potential matches and got VERY excited about a few of them as it looked like they could really be my dream home.........

BUT FIVE of the people who showed interest / vice versa LIED on their description and their homes are listed as a HOUSE with NO mention on their ad that it is actually A CONVERTED FLAT!!!

Mine is a first floor house conversion & have listed it as such and put it in description but it just really irates me now that I have had SO many let downs & disappointments on there due to people NOT BEING HONEST

Why not just list it as a ground floor converted flat or 1st floor conversion etc!

One lady even turned up for a viewing of a 'house' that was actually a conversion & the tenant wasn't even IN at the appointed time & I only found out THAT one was a conversion because the lady said SHE only found out when she GOT THERE , even though no-one was in!

I think its pretty shoddy as it is hard enough to find what you are looking for on there without people being DISHONEST in their description

Had my BIGGEST let down today when I really thought I could have found my dream house & mine was IDEAL for her family too but as it turns out after I ASKED her ( I always do now! lol ) she said it was ''2 bedrooms on the ground floor'' ie a ground floor 2 bed flat in a converted house NOT an actual HOUSE....

If I wanted a conversion I would STAY PUT as mine is honestly lovely but too big for me now and it has SO many features and an absolutely MASSIVE living room with 4 casement windows & high ceilings , 3 bedrooms , 1 with ensuite , plus garden etc and is so spacious and full of character but I just want someone with the same period features but is actually a HOUSE when it is described as so!!
Bye! ... My new signature is Adios MSE - Have better things to do with my time & life than to let people hassle me on here , they are just not worth it!

Last edited by cazzap06; 29-04-2012 at 5:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Hump
Old 29-04-2012, 7:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

For the background to your problems try Christine Whitehead and Kath Scanlon's Social Housing in Europe paper see ( http://www2.lse.ac.uk/geographyAndEn.../research.aspx ) - have you tried an advert in the local paper?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hump For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
cazzap06
Old 29-04-2012, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hump View Post
For the background to your problems try Christine Whitehead and Kath Scanlon's Social Housing in Europe paper see ( http://www2.lse.ac.uk/geographyAndEn.../research.aspx ) - have you tried an advert in the local paper?
They charge for ads & I can't really afford it as already pay for Homeswappers , have tried Gumtree though and of course will just have to be patient , was just a big disappointment though this time as I really thought it was 'the one' lol

Its still annoying when people lie to get 'more interest' , almost as bad as dating sites!

Pointless lying really as do they think people won't notice its HALF a house when they get there , not the whole thing?

Homeswappers full of timewasters so far!!
Bye! ... My new signature is Adios MSE - Have better things to do with my time & life than to let people hassle me on here , they are just not worth it!
# 4
carefullycautious
Old 29-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Maybe you need to add that you are not interested in flats and only want a 2 bed house.

I dont think you will find any people who will give up a house for a flat as an upsize situation.

People who have children and access to a garden will prefer the house.

Plus couples without children would not be allowed your flat due to under occupancy.
The Following User Says Thank You to carefullycautious For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
cattie
Old 29-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Have you tried notices in shop windows of areas that you would like to move to? Or even printing out a batch of notices to put through doors of any likely looking 2 bed properties?
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cattie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
cazzap06
Old 30-04-2012, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carefullycautious View Post
Maybe you need to add that you are not interested in flats and only want a 2 bed house.

I dont think you will find any people who will give up a house for a flat as an upsize situation.

People who have children and access to a garden will prefer the house.

Plus couples without children would not be allowed your flat due to under occupancy.
I've already stated it TWICE in my ad that I want a HOUSE ONLY , no flats , conversions or maisonettes but people seem to ignore it to try and wangle what they want , maybe hoping to change my mind which I WON'T!

I GAVE UP A BRAND NEW 2 BED HOUSE WITH A LARGE GARDEN to swap / upsize to THIS one as ;

1/ I LOVED it and still do ( but need somewhere smaller )

2/ I NEEDED the extra bedroom for my 2 girls which this has AND the absolute SPACE , character , MASSIVE living room , spiral staircase , fireplace , huge casement windows , wooden flooring , 2 bathrooms , GARDEN , etc etc etc SWAYED it for me and I DO get interest , but just not what I'm looking for ( or they LIE which is the problem I'm having on the site!! )

Last edited by cazzap06; 30-04-2012 at 3:35 AM.
# 7
BigAunty
Old 30-04-2012, 10:57 AM

So now that you know that people are fibbing (or being a bit optimistic in the description of their properties), you just need to stop falling in love with the initial descriptions and be harder in your verification process. No biggy - a quick 'Can you confirm if your property is actually a self contained house or is a flat/conversion?' during the initial contact.

Does this website have a process where you can report posts for being inaccurate?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigAunty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
laylauk
Old 30-04-2012, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Homeswapper

I have recently joined homeswapper but will be soon be leaving it. They have no contact email or number so you are at the mercy of the users. I am sure for the most part the majority are genuine but some are very odd. I clearly stated I would only exchange like for like I wasn't going to downgrade. A lot of people seem to mention time wasters and are clearly jaded but if you are new to the site and you want to move home you have to make sure you make the right decision. I am flexible and want to move to a less quiet area and was sent a very rude email by someone I was communicating with accusing me of being a timewaster and not caring about where I wanted to live or the property. I found it very distressing. I have a lovely property I would just prefer to live somewhere livelier. Being told the area is quiet is not a bonus for me. I don't hold out any hope of the site being a success for me. I am just amazed that they have no contact details
The Following User Says Thank You to laylauk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dasophster
Old 09-05-2012, 5:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Homeswapper (and swapping via gumtree) is a complete waste of time. Just as you get people who view homes for sale for kicks, you get people doing the same with homeswapper. We have had our time wasted so many times over the two years we have been on it. Our housing association pays the homeswapper fee so we haven't lost anything in that regard but it is time we have lost. We are not even fussy; we are willing to move like for like in a different area (this area is lovely but we fancy a change), don't mind flats or houses, don't care about decor or whether the property has a garden etc. However no-one wants to swap into a flat even if they have a flat themselves, everyone wants to swap into a larger property with garden in a really posh area. I have lost count of the number of people saying they have a 1 or 2 bedroom flat under a motorway flyover and then get aggressive when we say we not only wouldn't want to move there; we wouldn't even be allowed by our housing association as we do have 4 children.

I've also had problems with two seemingly serious swappers; who messed us around for ages and then pulled a vanishing act. One lady even registered our address as hers for her kids' schooling and as a delivery address for DFS, we had to chase up these people and say no she does not live here. Unfortunately you do have to give the other party your full address and date of birth details as their housing association/council requires it for their forms, you are not allowed to send your details to the other party's housing association or local authority direct, I see this system as having great potential for identity theft and it is really really flawed. Another lady I told her our housing association were putting the swap on the computer system and she just disappeared after that meaning we had to tell our housing assoc to forget it; months later she phoned and left a voicemail, I emailed her quite annoyed asking why did she disappear and if her voicemail was still about continuing to swap then she had another thing coming, she replied saying she was so upset as we had told her that our housing association had told us not to swap with her and put our details on their computer system to find another swap instead! When I had told her they were putting both our sets of details on their system to get the ball rolling. It seems a lot of people just don't know how a home swap works and to be honest the information is really hard to find-there is only one website that clearly details the process and even then it is quite vague about certain aspects of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dasophster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
romainarpin1234
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Home Swapper acts as the medium between people who are interested in exchanging houses. They have different websites where people register online and upload their expected details.

# 11
cazzap06
Old 12-05-2012, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAunty View Post
So now that you know that people are fibbing (or being a bit optimistic in the description of their properties), you just need to stop falling in love with the initial descriptions and be harder in your verification process. No biggy - a quick 'Can you confirm if your property is actually a self contained house or is a flat/conversion?' during the initial contact.

Does this website have a process where you can report posts for being inaccurate?
Yup , you are SO right , I do have to be more practical and less emotional ie ''love at first sight'' even though its hard for me when I see the most cutest perfect ''house'' which does make my heart flutter and causes an emotional response

The FIRST question I always ask now is is it a house or a conversion , just a let down if they respond ''its the ground floor'' when there is NOTHING saying that on their ad , like I said it is fully described throughout the title AND description as a ''2 bedroom house'' no mention whatsoever of it actually being a house conversion!!!

Seems there is no way of reporting them for inaccurate descriptions and it is left up to people's 'consciences' which there does not seem to be much of on there , no-one seems 'crystal clear' and 100% upfront and honest , so it DOES mean there are ALOT of time wasters on there wheareas HONESTLY would get the job done & WITHOUT the huge disappointments and ANNOYANCES

I think I am waiting for my dream HOMESWAPPER let alone my dream house

One woman got really rude to me for no reason so I thought ''nope , you're not having my home now love & I DON'T want to deal with you OR swap with YOU even though I like the look of your home too!''

So an upfront , civil & HONEST person who genuinely loves my flat as much as I love their house and wants the swap to go ahead 100% is what I am still hoping for now x
# 12
scooby75
Old 12-05-2012, 8:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've given up on homeswapper so when the "renewal" came up, I decided on complete honesty. Every fault is listed, including the mold growing on party wall in bedroom, unsafe electrical work, front door that is actually a back door (you need to use the key to lock it otherwise anyone can just walk in), the ASBO neighbours on all sides, noise etc etc.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when the HA approved the ad (I presume they didn't even read it). Strangely, I had one response for someone wanting to move (turns out they hadn't read the ad either).
Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scooby75 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
dasophster
Old 18-05-2012, 6:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Scooby I love it! We've just had to deal with another time waster today-she is a serial swapper and has swapped at least three times already in the past two years, she doesn't have a clue what she wants and uses a number of different alias but always the same email address so thankfully we could tell it was her before wasting any more time and getting involved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dasophster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
adwyer
Old 04-06-2012, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

same problem for me I just want to move, but the site is being abused by a new breed of TROLL, if people don't actually look and do not make posts, their accounts should be deactivated after a month of inactivity, that would soon get rid of a big chunk of the time wastersb
# 15
flight747
Old 30-09-2012, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Beware of homeswrapper, they only interesting the viewing inside your home and then walk away with no interest. But, soon later a burglary strike your home! They only look for high end technology and get burglary easy and guess what police are not interesting only blame you on homeswrapper not safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to flight747 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
WantToBeSE
Old 30-09-2012, 3:13 PM

I have sucessfully swapped twice using homeswapper
# 17
ditsyhawk
Old 08-01-2013, 7:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default homeswapper

i agree this site is full of weirdos and timewasters i have been on the site since august and have had numerous people contact me asking me if i was interested in their properties i say yes and then no reply its almost like they sit their getting their kicks by seeing how many people say yes to their properties have have had some genuine responses but thy have usually contacted me off the site by phone and did find a exchange which fell through due to the other parties financial situation changing. I have had abuse on the site if i have said no to a property (wrong location wrong size wrong everything) and even had a guy turn up who said yes i love your flat and then asked if he could video it to send to his sister in spain for her opinion being stupid and naive i said ok no problem i never heard from him again and the area he told me he would never consider his setting up more viewings their is no report button.

I have now registered and paid to join another wwebsite houseexchange.org.uk i have been registered since friday and have lots of good responses in areas i want and which meet my criteria.
Gumtree is the same place a ad for a exchange and all you get is people wanting to rent your property. House exchanging is hard and stressful without the cranks and timewasters.
# 18
merlin68
Old 08-01-2013, 8:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Found my exchange on facebook, moving friday. I found someone who wanted a flat so i now have a 2 bed house with a 70 ft garden to looked forward to.
Most areas have a facebook exchange page for free.