Main site > Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Council tax (and water etc) for an empty property (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Council tax (and water etc) for an empty property
Closed Thread
Views: 14,730
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Ms Piggy
Old 04-03-2007, 7:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 353
Default Council tax (and water etc) for an empty property

Does anyone know if I can claim back Council Tax on a property that is empty?

My (only) house is empty - I have moved in with OH and am selling mine. It's been empty for approx 6 months. I've now been told by a friend that I would have been exempt from paying the Council tax. Is this right and could I claim it back?

And ditto water rates.

Ms Piggy is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 04-03-2007, 8:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Hertfordshire
Posts: 29,468

you can claim for council tax on empty properties for upto 6 months in any year.

Don't think you can claim for water rates, though if you install a meter you won't be using any water!
silvercar is offline
Report Post
# 3
Ms Piggy
Old 04-03-2007, 8:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 353


I'll write a letter asking for a refund! )
Ms Piggy is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,241

water rates too afaik, unnoccupied and unfurmished is the way to go for CT and water rates.

nil bill. for both.
real1314 is offline
Report Post
# 5
Old 05-03-2007, 12:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 97

You would be exempt on both counts, C tax for up to six months and water indefinitely.

However niether may like the fact that you are telling them after the event. The theory being that if you tell them before, then at least they have the opportunity of doing a routine visit to the property, to confirm that it is empty.

So if I were you, I would ring up the council, explain the situation and offer to send them gas/electric bills for the relevant period, showing zero or very low useage to back up your case.
Norroy is offline
Report Post
# 6
scrummy mummy
Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 385

Check your insurances too...if a property is left unoccupied for more than 30 days continuously, they may (probably will be) become invalid.
scrummy mummy is offline
Report Post
# 7
Ms Piggy
Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 353

Thanks - the property is empty so there is only buildings insurnace anyway. It was let previously and the cover notice states it may be empty for periods of time as long as it's visited/inspected regularly etc.

Have writen to CT people.....
Ms Piggy is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 7:12 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 25 March 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed