Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Jahlove
    motability scratches and kerbed wheels?
    • 18th Apr 12, 5:30 PM
    motability scratches and kerbed wheels? 18th Apr 12 at 5:30 PM
    Hi i was just wondering if anybody could give any information about how strict motability are with scratches and kerbed wheels. My wife has made alot of kerbing to the wheels on our mobility car and there is also a scuff on the front bumper from where one of my children crashed their bike into it!

I Have looked through all of my paper work and can't seem to find anything about this, Will we be charged for any damage?
Page 3
  • mazza111
    Nissan Note was one of the other cars I was looking at. Haven't sat in it yet. Liking how high it sits without being a large car tho
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
  • honesty1
    Well reading this I must say as a tax payer and private car owner I think this is absolutely disgusting and Iam not surprised tax payers end up resenting people who use the scheme.

A 3 year old car at worst must have very very minor marks on it. I do a lot of miles per year and I am very careful where possible and have had cars older than 15 years old in some cases that have been in immaculate condition, sometimes I wont even go to some places if I think there is a risk of car damage !!.

It appears that motability drivers because the car is not there's and is only leased via free money they get from the government in the form of DLA, they don't give 2 hoots about the cars.

They can have accident claims and take the car back with dents, large scratches, and damaged wheels and still get paid £250 'good condition bonus' for the privileged.

If I had a private lease car and took it back with marks and scratches I would be charged fairly significant damage each area of damage.

I feel tax payers money funds DLA that is used to pay for lease cars that again are VAT free and have other financial assistance on top from tax payers, and the users of these vehicles just have no RESPECT for them.

I know some people will respect them and be very grateful, but others just EXPECT them as a god given right and still don't care for them, and even get a bonus for not caring for them.

DISGUSTING

I know people will shoot me down and say they are not 'FREE', but the DLA is funded via tax and the recipient does not do anything to receive DLA so the money is 'FREE'.
    Originally posted by shoehornbill
    I find your opinions very narrow minded. Before you start making judgement I give a very large chunk out of my benefits to hire the car it is not given on top of what we are given. I lose £250 a month plus extra for the car I hire and if public transport was more suitable than it is i would much prefer to use that and feel "normal". The £250 WE get back is because not only is the car not ours after spending almost £3000 a year on it we are also not a llowed to go over 15000 miles a year which means the car is very sellable and believe it or not although it is a charity they have been known to make a tidy profit. We also aid car manufacturing and because of the amount of orders made my motability car production has increased and so has jobs. I think £250 isnt a huge amount compared to the amount the politicians cut our benefits by to be very honest with you.
  • honesty1
    The problem with the motorbility scheme is that it can be abused. I don't have any problems with funding travel for the genuinely disabled but there is a sizeable minority that do not need/deserve motorbility.

I'm sure many of us know of people who abuse the scheme,I know 3 people who do not need the help but claim it.One person manages to walk a mile along a river bank carrying 60kg of fishing equipment and yet claims for a bad back.Another person manages to climb a 6ft fence,work under cars when they need repairing and rides a 900cc racing motorbike.They all claim motorbility.

Many of the cars in the scheme should never be in it such as BMW,s Saabs etc.My own opinion is if someone needs a car then it should be a basic model and they should get the car free for 10yrs and be responsible for repairs,servicing etc.Cars depreciate the most in the first 3 years and someone along the line will pay for the depreciation.

Why would someone need a £17k VW Golf when a £12k Skoda Octavia will do the job better, give them the car for life but they should pay for the upkeep.

The crux of the problem is when people are seen in nice shiny new cars subsidised by the taxpayer and the system is abused by a sizeable minority you will alway get resentment.The Government needs to find a way that is fair to the recipient and the taxpayer whilst giving long prison sentances to those bottom dwellers who abuse the system.
    Originally posted by leveller2911
    Then report them!!!! People should not get away with that.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 31st Mar 14, 4:17 PM
    • 57,708 Posts
    • 40,797 Thanks
    soolin
    Honesty1 this thread was last visited 2 years ago, I doubt whether anyone will be reading your comments.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 3rd Apr 14, 9:24 AM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 10,424 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    My other half drives a land rover, I have a blue badge and we frequently get a nice lecture on how motability shouldn't fund such a car even though the car is not a mobility car and he pays a small fortune in road tax.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 3rd Apr 14, 9:25 AM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 10,424 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Sorry too many windows opened and I've posted the above post in the wrong place, the new forum set up won't let me edit to delete the post!
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • msadvocate
    • By msadvocate 22nd Mar 16, 5:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    msadvocate
    The problem with the motorbility scheme is that it can be abused. I don't have any problems with funding travel for the genuinely disabled but there is a sizeable minority that do not need/deserve motorbility.

I'm sure many of us know of people who abuse the scheme,I know 3 people who do not need the help but claim it.One person manages to walk a mile along a river bank carrying 60kg of fishing equipment and yet claims for a bad back.Another person manages to climb a 6ft fence,work under cars when they need repairing and rides a 900cc racing motorbike.They all claim motorbility.

Many of the cars in the scheme should never be in it such as BMW,s Saabs etc.My own opinion is if someone needs a car then it should be a basic model and they should get the car free for 10yrs and be responsible for repairs,servicing etc.Cars depreciate the most in the first 3 years and someone along the line will pay for the depreciation.

Why would someone need a £17k VW Golf when a £12k Skoda Octavia will do the job better, give them the car for life but they should pay for the upkeep.

The crux of the problem is when people are seen in nice shiny new cars subsidised by the taxpayer and the system is abused by a sizeable minority you will alway get resentment.The Government needs to find a way that is fair to the recipient and the taxpayer whilst giving long prison sentances to those bottom dwellers who abuse the system.

I could not have a basic model, I have no use of my left side therefore can't use things like to lights, headlights etc. I therefore need top spec cars as they come with Auto headlamps, lights etc. Basic models do not have these and I would therefore not be able to drive them. I think people also need to consider that when I started the scheme Motorbilty did not fund my essential adaption which I had to pay for which cost me £400, I have to do this everytime I get a new car as it is classed as a minor adaptation therefore they will not put some money towards it so the good condition bonus goes SOME way towards that payment.

I think people need to leave out commenting if they haven't got direct (by this I mean themselves or a close family member) who is in need of the Motability scheme as they do not know how it works or what a Life line it is to people.

P.S. I am a UK tax payer and a Motabilty customer, without my exact car I would not be a Tax payer as I would be housebound on over £14,000 a year (excluding PIP) and I wouldn't be paying my council tax either. So please think about what these cars can do for people and how the minority of abusers of the system is outweighed by the benefits!
    • fed up and stressed
    • By fed up and stressed 22nd Mar 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 3,223 Thanks
    fed up and stressed
    Well reading this I must say as a tax payer and private car owner I think this is absolutely disgusting and Iam not surprised tax payers end up resenting people who use the scheme.

most disabled people are also tax payers

I feel tax payers money funds DLA that is used to pay for lease cars that again are VAT free and have other financial assistance on top from tax payers,

most If not all WAV's (wheelchair assistance vehicles) also require a hefty upfront payment of many thousands from the recipient on top of their DLA / PIP. We had to put £3,500 to ours plus pay £2,500 for a second hand power chair.

I know people will shoot me down and say they are not 'FREE', but the DLA is funded via tax and the recipient does not do anything to receive DLA so the money is 'FREE'. in that case I suggest you acquire a severe disability to see just how "fun it is" being a wheelchair user (i know not all motability customers are not wheelchair users)
    Originally posted by shoehornbill
    Comments in red.

Editted to add - just noticed this is a zombie thread that has been resurrected by another poster today.
    Last edited by fed up and stressed; 22-03-2016 at 5:52 PM.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
    • Lanzarote1938
    • By Lanzarote1938 22nd Mar 16, 6:49 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    Lanzarote1938
    Strange isn't it how ALL disabled people with motobility cars insist they would be sitting looking at 4 walls all day, unable to do anything that would involve travel but certain disabled people advocate taking away pensioners bus passes. So it's OK for oldies to have no transport concessions but OK for others to get a brand new car pretty well of their choice every three years.

What about we do away with mobility DLA cars and offer free bus passes instead. after all there is always wheelchair space on buses.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 22nd Mar 16, 7:04 PM
    • 15,473 Posts
    • 26,340 Thanks
    Ames
    Bus passes are awarded on top of benefits, a motability car comes out of someone's benefits.

Not that I'm saying I agree with the removal of bus passes.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Recent reads: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy. Justice - What is the Right Thing To Do by Michael Sandel. Is Multiculturalism Bad For Women by Susan Moller Okin.
    • Lanzarote1938
    • By Lanzarote1938 22nd Mar 16, 7:26 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    Lanzarote1938
    Bus passes are awarded on top of benefits, a motability car comes out of someone's benefits.

Not that I'm saying I agree with the removal of bus passes.
    Originally posted by Ames
    What mobility benefits does your average pensioner receive that they can exchange for a bus pass?

Is DLA/PIP not awarded as well as other benefits in many cases?

I know someone who has payment of DLA mobility but also has a Freedom pass at no additional cost as her condition does not allow her to drive
    Last edited by Lanzarote1938; 22-03-2016 at 7:28 PM.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 22nd Mar 16, 7:38 PM
    • 15,473 Posts
    • 26,340 Thanks
    Ames
    Perhaps it can be extended and the pension become eligible to be used for motability?

I do agree that the DLA/PIP and AA rules create an anomaly. Ideally it would be extended to pensioners too, but if not then it should stop at SP age for all. After all, the retirement age shouldn't come as a surprise and so gives time to save for a car.

Or maybe a better idea would be to raise the DLA/PIP and AA ages - if people are living healthier into their seventies then why not? It definitely seems odd that DLA/PIP stop and AA takes over at an age below the current state pension age.

I don't know what a freedom pass is, am I right that it includes some taxi journeys? Or is that some other southern thing?

I do think that bus passes should still be given to people who can't drive for health reasons even if they don't qualify for DLA/PIP.

Recent reads: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates. Headscarves and Hymens by Mona Eltahawy. Justice - What is the Right Thing To Do by Michael Sandel. Is Multiculturalism Bad For Women by Susan Moller Okin.
    • Lanzarote1938
    • By Lanzarote1938 22nd Mar 16, 8:00 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    Lanzarote1938
    Perhaps it can be extended and the pension become eligible to be used for motability?

I don't know what a freedom pass is, am I right that it includes some taxi journeys? Or is that some other southern thing?

I do think that bus passes should still be given to people who can't drive for health reasons even if they don't qualify for DLA/PIP.
    a Freedom Pass is the London free transport pass that covers bus, tube and overground trains. Very valuable.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 22nd Mar 16, 8:09 PM
    • 15,473 Posts
    • 26,340 Thanks
    Ames
    Ah, yes I can see that that's different to what we think of as 'the bus pass' up here.

• kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 22nd Mar 16, 10:15 PM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 14,653 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I'm 'up North' and passes in Merseyside, whether for disabled people or pensioners, cover buses, trains and ferries within Merseyside. Pleasure ferry cruises aren't included, but some trips outside Merseyside are (to Chester, for example).
    • fed up and stressed
    • By fed up and stressed 23rd Mar 16, 7:41 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 3,223 Thanks
    fed up and stressed
    Strange isn't it how ALL disabled people with motobility cars insist they would be sitting looking at 4 walls all day, unable to do anything that would involve travel but certain disabled people advocate taking away pensioners bus passes. So it's OK for oldies to have no transport concessions but OK for others to get a brand new car pretty well of their choice every three years.

What about we do away with mobility DLA cars and offer free bus passes instead. after all there is always wheelchair space on buses.
    Originally posted by Lanzarote1938
    If that was the case why did that poor blighter sue his bus company when the harridan yummy mummy refused to disturb her sprog in a pushchair so he could use the wheelchair accessible space ?

Also I take it you aren't a wheelchair user ...trust me they rarely bother to stop for wheelchair users "sorry love he mustn't have seen yer". Also add into the equation pain and fatigue of longer journeys than via car (e.g changing buses or needing to go places not on bus routes or having to wheel up hills instead of driving because the bus stop is at the bottom of a hill, poor blighters on chemo being forced to stand in the rain waiting for buses etc etc) just shows how ill thought out this suggestion is.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Mar 16, 9:32 PM
    • 5,865 Posts
    • 3,460 Thanks
    teddysmum

I do agree that the DLA/PIP and AA rules create an anomaly. Ideally it would be extended to pensioners too, but if not then it should stop at SP age for all. After all, the retirement age shouldn't come as a surprise and so gives time to save for a car.

Or maybe a better idea would be to raise the DLA/PIP and AA ages - if people are living healthier into their seventies then why not? It definitely seems odd that DLA/PIP stop and AA takes over at an age below the current state pension age.

It is a fact that people who become disabled after 65,lose out, as was illustrated a few years ago, by a media story where a lady lost a leg at 66, was wheelchair bound and her husband struggled with this, as he had arthritis. They dreaded when their ancient car finally died, as they would both be housebound.

Another point is that help with mobility was given on claims made before 65,enabling people to be able to work (Those becoming disabled later,obviously didn't need to go out),but,if things are left as they are,there will be an increasing range over which working age people will also get no help, as the State Pension age rises.
    • MrsMJ
    • By MrsMJ 9th Oct 16, 11:47 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    MrsMJ

Considering I am a full-time wheelchair user and can only walk the length of my car, yet PIP initially awarded only standard care & mobility (wrongly, I am told, it's being overturned - but it was the initial award right enough) I doubt very much anyone will be abusing the system now and this makes me VERY happy, as I am sure it does you.

To say a disabled person should not have a saab or a BMW is just ridiculous. Gone are the days (much to your despair I suspect) where disabled people feel they have no choice (in prescription clothes, shoes, wheelchairs, cars) and we are now fully fledged members of society with choices, interests and preferences like everyone else. Hell.... we can even get shiney new BMWs if we save up enough.

Motability cars are worked out on their COST and many manufacturers reduce this in order to make sales of certain cars (my last car was a Volvo S40 with a very low advanced payment matching a 'basic car. Much to my delight as the leather seats, which come as standard, are perfect for sliding to get out and also easy cleaning thanks to my children, it also has seats with the perfect tilt for my leg, which many other cars didn't have, so I can drive for longer) but many cars come with a premium advanced payment, this is to offset the choice you have made with the standard award. EVERYONE GETS THE SAME AWARD - everyone gets the same BASIC CAR funding, you pay if you want a better car or if you are lucky get a manufacturer deal to get more for your money.

Must I also point out, that not everyone who gets DLA doesn't work? In fact, in a lot of cases Motability allows them to work, with a car that will always keep them mobile and there is a back up services should it breakdown - this means no disabled person is stuck unable to get prescriptions, to doctors, to work or hospital appointments - because they can't always get on a bus like everyone else when their car breaks down - this makes our standard of living the same as an able bodied person.

And another thing, just because we are disabled, does not mean we should not be entitled to a new car or a posh one. I am sick and tired of this second grade life we should have in the eyes of people like you, where we should only have hand me downs and basic supplies of horrible looking shoes, wheelchairs and cars. DLA is there to give us the same standard of living as majority of the UK - if not better. That is a privilege that for many (myself included) makes life worth living at a time when life is extremely hard. Without my car, I have no legs. I have no freedom. Since I need adaptations, I can't buy or afford standard cars and adaptations so Motability is my life line.

Just to finish, not all disabilities are in wheelchairs. Many people get out a car on a good day and their disability isn't always in your face, some it is very much internal and not always wheelchairs and crutches. Heart problems, Cancers, Muscle Diseases - all of which on some days can cause them unable to lead a very basic life or get out of bed, on their good days that car becomes a life line.

So please, be kind - because you just don't know when Karma might catch up and allow you the PRIVILEGE of joining the Disabled Club

Don't be jealous, for every BMW on Motability, someone suffering every day just to get it.
    • MrsMJ
    • By MrsMJ 9th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    MrsMJ
    If that was the case why did that poor blighter sue his bus company when the harridan yummy mummy refused to disturb her sprog in a pushchair so he could use the wheelchair accessible space ?

Also I take it you aren't a wheelchair user ...trust me they rarely bother to stop for wheelchair users "sorry love he mustn't have seen yer". Also add into the equation pain and fatigue of longer journeys than via car (e.g changing buses or needing to go places not on bus routes or having to wheel up hills instead of driving because the bus stop is at the bottom of a hill, poor blighters on chemo being forced to stand in the rain waiting for buses etc etc) just shows how ill thought out this suggestion is.
    Originally posted by fed up and stressed
    I am not being funny - I would not kick a woman with a sleeping child off the bus just because I was in a wheelchair (if I could board a bus that is!)

That is discrimination to the able bodied person with a sleeping child, there was no room for both so she would have to get off! Never in a million years would I expect that of someone, I would be absolutely mortified!

Forcing disabled people on to buses is just insane, imagine even every wheelchair user getting on buses? The increase in buses required would be out of this world. Plus once you get off the bus (if it is wheelchair friendly) you then need to negotiate your way to where you are going? I know for a fact that majority of the streets I cannot manage on my own, only certain areas, so I would be screwed to get to where I need to go! I really would be looking at 4 walls every day
    • MrsMJ
    • By MrsMJ 9th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    MrsMJ
    It is a fact that people who become disabled after 65,lose out, as was illustrated a few years ago, by a media story where a lady lost a leg at 66, was wheelchair bound and her husband struggled with this, as he had arthritis. They dreaded when their ancient car finally died, as they would both be housebound.

Another point is that help with mobility was given on claims made before 65,enabling people to be able to work (Those becoming disabled later,obviously didn't need to go out),but,if things are left as they are,there will be an increasing range over which working age people will also get no help, as the State Pension age rises.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    There is attendance allowance for over 65s, however this is more for care required than mobility. I think if it was based on mobility, 95% of over 65s would be eligible - so possibly too many to sustain? The bus pass is great IF you can get on a bus, I know many elderly people who can't - I give a lady near me regular lifts to the shops, doctors and town - because she can't manage to bus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,186Posts Today

6,206Users online

Martin's Twitter