Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 54
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Jul 17, 6:23 AM
    • 19,432 Posts
    • 31,435 Thanks
    Spendless
    This can change year by year and area by area. My area has no such thing as catchment, but recently moved from feeder schools being priority to distance from school.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    I am aware different areas/schools can be different. My daughter's school switched feeder school to above siblings a few years ago. but this is why I asked this.

And? Wouldn't he be in catchment instead? What is the criteria for admittance from this school?

My daughter's Secondary school admission criteria is (after looked after children)
    catchment
    feeder school
    siblings

So someone moving into the catchment area during yr 5 but unable to get a place at the feeder primary would still be in a higher category when making an application for a yr7 place than someone at a feeder Primary but out of catchment.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    That's the question that needs asking. What's the criteria and how close to the top is it. If it is catchment or distance that's at the top from what the poster describes it's possibly not going to make a difference whether they get a nearby yr6 place or not. If it's siblings as the top criteria, then it may depend on whether 13yo sibling gets a place, if she does and it is, again where you go in yr6 won't have an impact.
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 10th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 9,563 Posts
    • 107,759 Thanks
    emerald21
    Well today we have heard that Caitlin the 13 year old hasn't got
    into the school in their village. Usual thing oversubscribed. So up to now only one of the three has been successful and she s the youngest. They will be appealing in September for the both but where are they supposed to go in the meantime .
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 35,690 Posts
    • 150,394 Thanks
    silvercar
    Well today we have heard that Caitlin the 13 year old hasn't got
    into the school in their village. Usual thing oversubscribed. So up to now only one of the three has been successful and she s the youngest. They will be appealing in September for the both but where are they supposed to go in the meantime .
    Originally posted by emerald21
    Sorry to hear she hasn't got in.

How far away are their current schools? If that isn't an option then it is time to get on the phone to other schools in the area and see if they have room. The other option is to ask the local authority. Their job is to match pupils without places to schools with places. At the same time you can ask about the provision of transport from home to school. If they can't provide a school place within 3 miles (2 miles for under 11s) then they should be providing transport - though this can vary from giving a bus pass to providing a taxi.
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 10th Jul 17, 8:10 PM
    • 9,563 Posts
    • 107,759 Thanks
    emerald21
    Sorry to hear she hasn't got in.

How far away are their current schools? If that isn't an option then it is time to get on the phone to other schools in the area and see if they have room. The other option is to ask the local authority. Their job is to match pupils without places to schools with places. At the same time you can ask about the provision of transport from home to school. If they can't provide a school place within 3 miles (2 miles for under 11s) then they should be providing transport - though this can vary from giving a bus pass to providing a taxi.
    Thanks silvercar. The school for the younger two is about 6 miles away and the one for Caitlin is even longer.Seren has got in the school so that's her sorted.

Her mum said they are going to look at a school about a mile away for Josh who is 10 apparently they have one place left in year 6 there.

Caitlin well they don't know where she will end up yet .
    • tiltal
    • By tiltal 26th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tiltal
    Further advice/help
    Hi everyone.

How is everyone getting on with their appeals etc, now that it is the end of term?

Once again I am having nothing but difficulty. I sent my appeal in within the deadline. Didn't hear anything, so chased this not long ago. I received an email back from the Schools solicitors saying could I complete a form that contained all the same details that was contained in my appeal - name, reasons for appeal etc.
    I returned this, and they replied with a one page brief document from the head explaining why my son wasn't granted a place. Apparently due to distance. Also that the appeal panel should stick to the decision to not admit as they are at their PAN number and will be reducing numbers in the coming years.

I sent an email back saying I still wished to continue with my appeal.
    So that was like 3 weeks ago, and I haven't heard a word. I stressed the fact that the appeals should be held within 40 school days of the appeals deadline and that the end of term was fast approaching, and at least an idea of dates should be provided.

I am really annoyed.

Plus I have found out that another girl in nursery who also has a sibling in my eldest sons class didn't get a place. She lives closer to school than me, and definitely closer than the other mum I mentioned in an earlier post, and does attend church. I am not sure what is going on I have checked the admission criteria, and it has just left me questioning why some received a school place and others including us have not.

This is really frustrating me. I work in schools as an education welfare officer and totally understand the importance of school, attendance, punctuality etc, but I have 3 children, 2 in one and another in a different school with different start and finish times. This ultimately means one (or 2) of my children will either be late for school everyday or picked up late everyday. This is not acceptable and I don't think it is fair at all.

Does anyone know where I stand with the fact the appeal hasn't been arranged or dates even indicated to me within the 40 school days, that are recommended?

Thanks in advance
    • Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 26th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Art Deco
    Really feel for parents going through this , I can still remember having a 30 minute walk with both kids to a childminder ,who could take one of them to another school for me because I couldnt get both of them in to the school a 5 minute walk from our house , then having to run like a maniac to the other school with the 5 year old he was shattered by the time we got there, go to work worry all the time ,pay for after school club for one because I couldnt be there to pick him up because I was half an hours walk away picking the other one up, nightmare.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 35,690 Posts
    • 150,394 Thanks
    silvercar
    Does anyone know where I stand with the fact the appeal hasn't been arranged or dates even indicated to me within the 40 school days, that are recommended?
    Phone the education authority and complain.
    • tiltal
    • By tiltal 26th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tiltal
    Phone the education authority and complain.

Hi

The LA do not have anything to do with their appeals. They administer their own appeals through the Governors....which is part of the problem.
    I appealed for my eldest and t took them a year!!! Yes one year. I never even had an appeal in the end, I threatened them with the Ombudsman, as they hadn't followed the legal appeals process and given me fair access to an appeal as a parent. They knew they had messed up and by magic my son was granted a place!
    • tiltal
    • By tiltal 26th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tiltal
    Really feel for parents going through this , I can still remember having a 30 minute walk with both kids to a childminder ,who could take one of them to another school for me because I couldnt get both of them in to the school a 5 minute walk from our house , then having to run like a maniac to the other school with the 5 year old he was shattered by the time we got there, go to work worry all the time ,pay for after school club for one because I couldnt be there to pick him up because I was half an hours walk away picking the other one up, nightmare.
    Originally posted by Art Deco
    I don't even want to think about it Art Deco
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 35,690 Posts
    • 150,394 Thanks
    silvercar
    Hi

The LA do not have anything to do with their appeals. They administer their own appeals through the Governors....which is part of the problem.
    I appealed for my eldest and t took them a year!!! Yes one year. I never even had an appeal in the end, I threatened them with the Ombudsman, as they hadn't followed the legal appeals process and given me fair access to an appeal as a parent. They knew they had messed up and by magic my son was granted a place!
    Originally posted by tiltal
    The LA may contact the school and encourage them to work through their appeals.
    • emerald21
    • By emerald21 26th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 9,563 Posts
    • 107,759 Thanks
    emerald21
    Seren and Josh are both sorted allbeit at different schools Seren at the one in the village and Josh at one a mile away , not ideal but ok for his last year in junior school I suppose.

Caitlin the 13 year old isn t going anywhere when the schools start after the Summer holidays. They are waiting to appeal sometime in September.

There is a place for her in a village about 4 miles away but she doesn t live in that village. They want her to go to the school practically round the corner. So will have to wait and see and hopefully she will be offered a place there.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 27th Jul 17, 1:22 AM
    • 37,520 Posts
    • 33,835 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    This is really frustrating me. I work in schools as an education welfare officer and totally understand the importance of school, attendance, punctuality etc, but I have 3 children, 2 in one and another in a different school with different start and finish times. This ultimately means one (or 2) of my children will either be late for school everyday or picked up late everyday. This is not acceptable and I don't think it is fair at all.
    But if you work as an EWO, you'll surely know that being able to get your children to school on time isn't actually grounds for appeal! We have parents who talk about THEIR need to have the child at THIS school so that THE PARENTS can get to work, or so that Aunty Jean can pick them up etc, but none of that is relevant!

I do feel for you, and hope you can get the appeal moving - use the ombudsman again if necessary!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 27th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 35,690 Posts
    • 150,394 Thanks
    silvercar
    Seren and Josh are both sorted allbeit at different schools Seren at the one in the village and Josh at one a mile away , not ideal but ok for his last year in junior school I suppose.

Caitlin the 13 year old isn t going anywhere when the schools start after the Summer holidays. They are waiting to appeal sometime in September.

There is a place for her in a village about 4 miles away but she doesn t live in that village. They want her to go to the school practically round the corner. So will have to wait and see and hopefully she will be offered a place there.
    Originally posted by emerald21
    I hope she gets in. What is plan B? To take the school 4 miles away?
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 27th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 35,690 Posts
    • 150,394 Thanks
    silvercar
    by tiltal
    Surely the answer is for 1 child to be dropped off early, rather than late? Much easier to be the child that is in the playground early rather than the one walking in to class late.

I do sympathise, I paid out for a school bus pass for the few years mine were in different places.
    • tiltal
    • By tiltal 27th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tiltal
    Surely the answer is for 1 child to be dropped off early, rather than late? Much easier to be the child that is in the playground early rather than the one walking in to class late.

I do sympathise, I paid out for a school bus pass for the few years mine were in different places.
    I hear what you are saying, but I am not up for dumping my 4 or 3 year old on a school playground with no supervision and running off elsewhere!! I have had referrals from schools about parents who do this, and social care referrals. If only it was that easy to leave the children. My 7 year old may just be ok, but I am still not happy with leaving any of my children unsupervised on a school playground for any amount of time in the morning. Teachers are not childminders and are not covered to supervise children until school officially starts. Also it is not only the case of dropping off it is picking up too. Not nice to be the child who gets picked up late every day and again not fair on teachers! I have 13 year of experience and have seen this on many occasions.
    • tiltal
    • By tiltal 27th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tiltal
    But if you work as an EWO, you'll surely know that being able to get your children to school on time isn't actually grounds for appeal! We have parents who talk about THEIR need to have the child at THIS school so that THE PARENTS can get to work, or so that Aunty Jean can pick them up etc, but none of that is relevant!

I do feel for you, and hope you can get the appeal moving - use the ombudsman again if necessary!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    OF COURSE I know, and I never once said that my appeal was solely based on this reason alone. It's not about MY NEED, IT IS and has ALWAYS been about the NEED OF MY CHILDREN.
    I really don't understand why comments have to be so nasty at times. Maybe if you read back to my earlier posts you will see . There are plenty of reasons for my appeals...e.g. the school not allocating places correctly, the impact on my children being in different schools etc. I am not going to begin explaining, but I came.
    I came for advice not judgment and don't really need comments as such, as they are not helpful at all.

I asked if anyone knew where I stood withe regards to the appeal, not for advice or comments about what I should or shouldn't know.

Really don't need it. I spent a whole year fighting for an appeal with my eldest and 13+ years as and EWO so don't need this type of comments, I don't know everything hence asking on here for advice on what I don't know.

It' really not an easy time for us as parents or my son, so I don't appreciate comments as such, and really they are not necessary.
    • tiltal
    • By tiltal 27th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tiltal
    The LA may contact the school and encourage them to work through their appeals.
    Hi
    Thanks. I tried them already, and they said they don't have anything to do with the appeals as it is a Faith School
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 27th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 35,690 Posts
    • 150,394 Thanks
    silvercar
    I hear what you are saying, but I am not up for dumping my 4 or 3 year old on a school playground with no supervision and running off elsewhere!! I have had referrals from schools about parents who do this, and social care referrals. If only it was that easy to leave the children. My 7 year old may just be ok, but I am still not happy with leaving any of my children unsupervised on a school playground for any amount of time in the morning. Teachers are not childminders and are not covered to supervise children until school officially starts. Also it is not only the case of dropping off it is picking up too. Not nice to be the child who gets picked up late every day and again not fair on teachers! I have 13 year of experience and have seen this on many occasions.
    I totally get this, I was commenting based on my experience where the playground was supervised from 20 minutes before start time.

Hi
    Thanks. I tried them already, and they said they don't have anything to do with the appeals as it is a Faith School
    Any chance you could speak to the relevant places of worship?
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 27th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 15,714 Posts
    • 39,333 Thanks
    FBaby
    I am not sure what is going on I have checked the admission criteria, and it has just left me questioning why some received a school place and others including us have not.
    But could they have not been given a place for the same reason, ie. not filling in the form? Have they appealed too? If so, wouldn't they then be given priority?

I do fully understand your stress in regards to drop off, but in essence, your situation is not different to mine when I was a single mum and had to drop to kids at opposite side of town before going to school, so in the end, had not choice but to get DD to attend breakfast club and then she had to accept to be the last one to be picked up until her DS could start in the same school too.

Not ideal, feels like an injustice, but not an uncommon situation across the country.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 28th Jul 17, 1:48 AM
    • 37,520 Posts
    • 33,835 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I really don't understand why comments have to be so nasty at times.
    Well pardon me for wishing you well and suggesting making use of the ombudsman again.

My comment was not intended to be nasty, but rather to discourage other people from thinking that the difficulties of having children at different schools would add weight to an appeal, which AFAIK it would not.

Another suggestion (and please don't bite my head off for suggesting it) but have you involved your MP at any stage?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

2,723Users online

Martin's Twitter