Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    darkpool
    Last Share you Bought?
    • 14th Apr 12, 9:32 AM
    Last Share you Bought? 14th Apr 12 at 9:32 AM
    I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone was buying and why.

Last week I bought:

Firstgroup, because of the stonking 12.5% yield and 7.5 PE ratio. I think with austerity people will use public transport more, I also think it likely the Government will encourage more people to use public transport. Quite a few possible minuses with this one - reduction of subsidies, and a high fixed costs business

British Land, just because I think it's a good long term holding. It owns a lot of dull dependable Tesco stores etc. On the minus side I think property companies will have a few bad years because the banks don't have money to lend for development it would be a 'mare if BL couldn't rollover debt when it matured
Page 1
    • alright dave
    • By alright dave 14th Apr 12, 10:06 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    alright dave
    • 14th Apr 12, 10:06 AM
    • 14th Apr 12, 10:06 AM
    Orogen gold, 1k at 0.74 in Jan/Feb time, when it hit 0.65 couple of weeks back, thought it would be rude not to get some more. 2k at 0.65. So roughly looking at 3k at 0.68

Currently looking at 30%.
  • gkerr4
    • 14th Apr 12, 1:11 PM
    • 14th Apr 12, 1:11 PM
    my last trade was for - Harley Davidson (HOG) - they have slimmed inventory and cut costs over the past few years, have an excellent management team and now that the yanks seem to have turned a corner, discretionary spending is up and sales are up - I'm up 10% on it so far.

interested to read that firstgroup have a 12.5% yield - is that true??
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 14th Apr 12, 1:16 PM
    • 9,934 Posts
    • 6,562 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    • 14th Apr 12, 1:16 PM
    • 14th Apr 12, 1:16 PM
    WEIR

Makes and services pumps. With oil so expensive, any company which helps companies get more of it is worth having around

Firstgroup
    I have them, they done pretty badly so far as a share. I agree public transport is going to become a larger percentage but at the same time its challenged.

When yields get this high on a normal company its because the market is expecting a dividend cut will have to occur from failing prospects, etc
    Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 14-04-2012 at 1:28 PM.
    Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to London in 2014
    There is no other agency of government which can overrule actions that we take
    by Greenspan, Federal Reserve
  • darkpool
    • 14th Apr 12, 1:36 PM
    • 14th Apr 12, 1:36 PM
    my last trade was for - Harley Davidson (HOG) - they have slimmed inventory and cut costs over the past few years, have an excellent management team and now that the yanks seem to have turned a corner, discretionary spending is up and sales are up - I'm up 10% on it so far.

interested to read that firstgroup have a 12.5% yield - is that true??
    Originally posted by gkerr4
    what broker do you use to buy your yank shares? you not get bothered by the US holding taxes?

yeah, they yield 12.5%. not exactly the most secure divi though....
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 15th Apr 12, 9:11 AM
    • 10,091 Posts
    • 8,106 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 15th Apr 12, 9:11 AM
    • 15th Apr 12, 9:11 AM
    Last share I bought was Eurotunnel which shows how long ago I last bought! (not including investment trust shares)

As an investment they haven't done fantastically but with the shareholder perks of 30% off all travel they have been an excellent money saving purchase.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • JoeCrystal
    • By JoeCrystal 15th Apr 12, 9:30 AM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    JoeCrystal
    • 15th Apr 12, 9:30 AM
    • 15th Apr 12, 9:30 AM
    This is an interesting topic.

The last two shares I bought are:

One Delta, just because I like the idea of recycled plastic materials into different products. I am great fan of environmental/waste companies. Bought into it last February. It is also a part of an attempt to build a sustainable portfolio.

Falkland Islands Holdings, A play on the fact if the oil companies do manage to develop commercially, then hopefully Falkland Islands Holdings could benefit from it. The fact they also hold a stake in Falkands Oil and Gas does not hurt either. Bought into it last December.

Cheers

Joe
    Last edited by JoeCrystal; 15-04-2012 at 9:57 AM.
    • srcandas
    • By srcandas 15th Apr 12, 10:23 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    srcandas
    • 15th Apr 12, 10:23 AM
    • 15th Apr 12, 10:23 AM
    Mine is Tesco. I've been 'in, out and in', in the last month. Just think below 3.20 is too cheap to resist. But as an over enthiusiastic amateur I'm not offering that as a recommendation
  • raider
    • 15th Apr 12, 10:33 AM
    • 15th Apr 12, 10:33 AM
    NovaGold on the TSE, 1500 @ C$7.48 about a month or so ago, using the last of the 11/12 ISA allowance.

Will buy more on any drop below C$6.50, adding to the 2093 currently owned.
    • lvader
    • By lvader 15th Apr 12, 10:39 AM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    lvader
    I plan to buy and hold around 50 of the FTSE 100 companies for the long term, I have about 20 at the moment and the plan is to buy more as and whe dips/ corrections occur. I bought Morrisons last week.
    • IronWolf
    • By IronWolf 15th Apr 12, 11:19 AM
    • 5,761 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    IronWolf
    JD Sports. Cheap as their margins took a hit last year, but I reckon its just a temporary hitch coupled with the VAT hike. Plenty of growth left from them and the management have a good chance of turning Blacks around.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Chargem
    I plan to buy and hold around 50 of the FTSE 100 companies for the long term, I have about 20 at the moment and the plan is to buy more as and whe dips/ corrections occur. I bought Morrisons last week.
    Originally posted by lvader
    Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get an FTSE100 tracker for this, or do you specifically dislike something about 50 of the FTSE100?
    • JoeCrystal
    • By JoeCrystal 15th Apr 12, 12:21 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    JoeCrystal
    Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get an FTSE100 tracker for this, or do you specifically dislike something about 50 of the FTSE100?
    Originally posted by Chargem
    Maybe lvader prefer to hold shares itself to potentially gain from any corporate actions, it may be ethics as well, problem with oil, mining, beverages, banks and potentially any sectors as well! If you got problem with environmental, defence, health and financial areas, then you could exclude many of these companies. Lastly, FTSE100 can be overweighted in one area like financial services and it may not be entirely diverse equally over sectors.

In FTSE 100, in the industry sector, there are as follows:

Three Aerospace & Defense
    One Auto-mobiles & Parts
    Five Banks
    Two Beverages
    Two Chemicals
    One Construction & Materials
    One Electricity
    Seven Financial Services
    One Fixed Line Telecommunications
    Three Food & Drug Retailers
    Three Food Producers
    Five Gas, Water & Multi-utilities
    Two General Industrials
    Three General Retailers
    One Health Care Equipment & Services
    One Household Goods & Home Construction
    Two Industrial Engineering
    One Industrial Metals & Mining
    Six Life Insurance
    Five Media
    Twelve Mining
    One Mobile Telecommunications
    Two Non-life Insurance
    Four Oil & Gas Producers
    Two Oil Equipment & Services
    One Personal Goods
    Three Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
    Four Real Estate Investment Trusts
    One Software & Computer Services
    Eight Support Services
    One Technology Hardware & Equipment
    Two Tobacco
    Five Travel & Leisure
    Last edited by JoeCrystal; 15-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 15th Apr 12, 2:47 PM
    • 19,510 Posts
    • 14,465 Thanks
    Lokolo
    TSLA - Tesla Motors

Already made 42% from trading during volatile periods and a couple of weeks ago a large holder sold his holding causing the share price to drop 8%. Bought in. Now just waiting for some good news to bring it back up.
    • lvader
    • By lvader 15th Apr 12, 3:22 PM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    lvader
    Originally posted by Chargem
    I like a lot of the FTSE companies for ease or trading and good dividends but I recon i can do much better than a tracker by managing it myself. I like to be able to buy stocks when a buying oportunity comes up like Tescos after the big drop. Equally if an individual share takes off i can sell to lock in some profits.
    • brasso
    • By brasso 15th Apr 12, 3:25 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    brasso
    I don't often buy individual shares but this year I have bought Tesco, SOCO, and James Cropper. The latter doing well, Tesco so-so an SOCO badly.

I'll reassess same time next year.
    ----------------------------------------

I am not an IFA!
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 15th Apr 12, 3:36 PM
    • 6,097 Posts
    • 3,836 Thanks
    Ken68
    Ionica......groan out loud.
    • King Weasel
    • By King Weasel 15th Apr 12, 3:57 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 5,325 Thanks
    King Weasel
    Just topped up on Std Chtd @ 1480p (closed @ 1497.5). Also bought Spirent for first time @ 158p (closed @ 172.75).

Hope to sell Std Chtd at 1620 or so, last reached on 21 March. Will sell more @ around 1670 or buy more @ 1430 on present plans.

Will hang on to Spirent.

This is not advice.
    Last edited by King Weasel; 15-04-2012 at 4:01 PM.
    However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
  • gkerr4
    what broker do you use to buy your yank shares? you not get bothered by the US holding taxes?

yeah, they yield 12.5%. not exactly the most secure divi though....
    Originally posted by darkpool
    i use iii.co.uk - costs 15 instead of their usual 10

the US pay dividends net of tax to the UK investors, but to be honest, my holdings aren't big enough to cause me trouble.
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 15th Apr 12, 6:55 PM
    • 15,879 Posts
    • 34,150 Thanks
    Masomnia
    Emed mining a few months ago. A bit up and down, I reckon it's low on uncertainty rather than anything else, and hopefully if the rights to restart this mine in Andalucia are granted in the not too distant I should be on to a winner. The Chinese have bought a 10% stake, and Goldmann Sachs have got involved so I'm in good company
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. - P.G. Wodehouse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right folks im signing off for the weekend (well until my Sunday road show in Leeds). Have a good one!

• Final results of my tory leadership candidates twitter poll. Huge win for Theresa May, Andrea Leadsom distant 2nd https://t.co/jJxozPYFhi

• Ta for the regular stream of similar tweets. But, again, Id rather wire my nipples to electrodes & not in a good way https://t.co/npo6dvsLjG

• Follow Martin