Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    cobra44
    0 WOW
    Esta application for USA rip off!
    • 4th Apr 12, 9:57 PM
    0 WOW
    Esta application for USA rip off! 4th Apr 12 at 9:57 PM
    I have just been charged EUR 59.00 for the pleasure of processing an ESTA application. I realised I was not on the official site to late and had already authorised my Mastercard.

I had an online chat with one of their representatives and complained about the amount they had charged. I asked them to cancel it and refund my card.

She said "I have verified our system and your application (PIN# 14086211) has been processed and approved.Your authorization number is RW9RR986R9AQH4Q2 and is valid for two years, expiring on April 4, 2014.
    As stated in the terms and conditions that you had agreed to when you submitted your application, once it is processed and approved by DHS we cannot issue you a refund.
    It is stated on our site in more than one area that our charge per application is 59,00 euros.
    Before you started the application the disclaimer clearly states that we charge 59 euros per application and that we are not the official Government site.
    I cannot cancel something that has already been processed and approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Keep in mind there is only one system that processes applications. You already have a valid ESTA on file with DHS.
    If you decide to reapply you will have not only paid our cost but also an additional amount to process yet another application."

I said I thought this was a complete rip off and that Mastercard would be happy to retrieve the payment.

The reply was "Our no refund policy is stated in more than one place on the site where you applied. It is stated in the disclaimer, certification statement and on the payment page.
    If you wish MasterCard to cancel and reverse the payment, that is fine."

Can I cancel this and re-apply through the official site and will it likely hurt my credit rating.

Thanks for your help.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,894Posts Today

7,182Users online

Martin's Twitter