Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance > Can you claim PPI if person deceased? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can you claim PPI if person deceased?
Views: 6,052
# 1
Rocket1971
Old 30-03-2012, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can you claim PPI if person deceased?

My Father died in 2005 and my Mother in 2011.

I know my Father had rolling loans with Barclays over approx 15 years prior to his death, he would get a loan almost get to the end and then top it up.
He also had a Barclaycard which was paid by payment protection during the time he was unable to make payments.

My question is am I able to put in a claim for the years he had the barclayloan? (no paperwork as I destroyed it all approx one year after his death but Barclays may have something somewhere.

My Mother has no debts (never had a loan or credit card in her life) therefore no claims required on her part.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Moneyineptitude
Old 30-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1971 View Post
My Father died in 2005 and my Mother in 2011.
You might just as well ask if you are liable to re-pay any remainder of their unpaid loans.
The answer is that their loans and associated insurance died when they did.
# 3
amersall
Old 31-03-2012, 1:32 PM

Were these loan paid back before he died?, if they were then your mum as his next of kin could have put the claims in, as your Mum has passed away, you need to contact Barclays and ask if you can do the claim, they will ask for proof that you are allowed to deal with the estate after the death of your mum.

Give Barclays a ring and find out what you should do, if you can make a claim then the reason for mis sell is the loans were front loaded PP, this is a loan on the original loan to term end with interest.

# 4
amersall
Old 31-03-2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyineptitude View Post
You might just as well ask if you are liable to re-pay any remainder of their unpaid loans.
The answer is that their loans and associated insurance died when they did.
It is possible these loans were clear before he died, or maybe the PPI was claimed on in the event of his death?, if the latter is the case there is no mis sell as it did what it said on the tin i would think the last loan balance may have been more than the PPI amount, but the others could be claimed for mis sell.

Last edited by amersall; 31-03-2012 at 1:36 PM.
# 5
amersall
Old 31-03-2012, 1:38 PM

Rocket1971, could you please clarify if the loans were settled or if there are amounts outstanding, we can only guess and can not really help you without the full facts.

# 6
Moneyineptitude
Old 31-03-2012, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1971 View Post
My question is am I able to put in a claim for the years he had the barclayloan? (no paperwork as I destroyed it all approx one year after his death but Barclays may have something somewhere.
As Amersall said, you'd need to have permission to act on your father's behalf in this matter. Realise also that, as your father died in 2005, the Bank may no longer have records pertaining to the loan. Without paperwork you'll be at a distinct disadvantage.
Good luck if you proceed...
# 7
Rocket1971
Old 05-05-2013, 4:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by amersall View Post
Rocket1971, could you please clarify if the loans were settled or if there are amounts outstanding, we can only guess and can not really help you without the full facts.
Dear Amersall,
Apologies for not following up on this, I got side tracked in general by other bits and bobs and never got round to coming back to this. The loans were all paid up in full. The credit card he had when he died had approx £500.00 on which was cleared by funds from his estate and I do remember him having to provide a doctors certficate every 6 weeks which was then forwarded to barclaycard although they still charged interest at normal rates. I guess I am looking at the loans he took out in previous years. Will write to them anyway it only cost a recorded delivery letter. I will enclose his probate and my Mothers will and see where I get.
If I get anywhere will post it on here.
Rocket