Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 254
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 22nd May 17, 11:18 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    I've only worked at Solihull for 2.5 years, never CB but the few who i've met who transferred from CB always say they wish they stayed at CB. It's a different world at Solihull.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 22nd May 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,616 Posts
    • 3,824 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Think it depends on where you are and what you're doing.

About 15 of us spent 7 months on secondment to Solihull, from Castle Bromwich, in BIW and most of us jumped at the chance to go back.

Yes it is busier at Solihull, but the potential earnings are very much higher and in our opinion the shift patterns are better.
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 23rd May 17, 2:32 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    What shift patterns do you work at CB then? I assumed 3 shift same as most of us.

I've worked in BIW all my time here and in the last 2/3 months since de-manning the extra workload put onto every persons process has made it hell. I want out.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 23rd May 17, 4:41 PM
    • 2,616 Posts
    • 3,824 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    It's days at the moment with a skeleton night crew.

If and when it goes to 3 shifts it is likely to be 37hrs, 6-2, 2-10, 10-6, with a Friday of 6-11, 11-4 and 5-9. So coming back on a Friday evening to finish the nights off.
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 24th May 17, 4:47 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    I'd love that! Straight days i mean. Nights are vile, doing on my 2nd week of them now.
    • Chingymoto
    • By Chingymoto 13th Jun 17, 4:51 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chingymoto
    Hi, has anyone heard anything about contracts when your on the 5 year probation period.
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 13th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    Anyone who started on Jan 1st 2015 or after is on a 5 year maximum walkup which means after 5 years they either have to give you a job or fire you. Union said they didn't negotiate a guaranteed job offer so even if you had no sick days after 5 years they can fire you.

It's supposed to be a maximum of 5 years but the deal stated there can only ever be 10% manpower and 90% JLR in terms of staff levels but sadly the union are useless and only interested in themselves. They have no interest in getting anyone a job because they are alright jack.

Currently over 20% manpower on site at Solihull. In short i'd wager we will never get jobs and will get let go at end of 5 year period or before if you have time off/disciplinary problems.
    • Chingymoto
    • By Chingymoto 22nd Aug 17, 10:20 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chingymoto
    Hi, has anyone heard anything about the contract situation at jlr Solihull?

As there was a brief from the union a few weeks ago regarding it, and a goodwill gesture.
    • Derbz
    • By Derbz 22nd Aug 17, 6:02 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derbz
    Start date
    Hi all
    I got a email last thursday to ring a mobile number for start dates. I got through after ringing 35times and got a start date for 11th sept at solihull.

They said it was 3 month temp but will be looking to take people on after.

• Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 23rd Aug 17, 6:42 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    Derbz they are lying to you mate to get you to leave your current job. It's what they did to all of us. I've been here over 2.5 years and i'm nowhere near getting a job but if you are out of work then try it, you got nothing to lose
    • Derbz
    • By Derbz 23rd Aug 17, 7:16 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derbz
    Jlr contract
    Hi suicidemachine

Did you start on a 3 month contract
    Then just keep getting it extended.

Can you tell me is the uniform the same as jlr staff and what is the pay rate ive been told £11.99 as a basic day rate. Dont know about shift allowance.

Thanks mate
    • Derbz
    • By Derbz 23rd Aug 17, 8:22 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derbz
    Training
    Also my email sas i have training from a form called babcock.

Reading the thread everyone mentions pera??

Any ideas??
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 24th Aug 17, 7:04 AM
    • 2,616 Posts
    • 3,824 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Hi suicidemachine

Did you start on a 3 month contract
    Then just keep getting it extended.

Can you tell me is the uniform the same as jlr staff and what is the pay rate ive been told £11.99 as a basic day rate. Dont know about shift allowance.

Thanks mate
    Originally posted by Derbz
    Uniform the same, apart from you won't have your name on it to start with.

If basic is £11.99, 3 shift pay (which is the most common) should be around £14.60.

As for contracts, in the lap of the gods, they won't give you any guarantees.

Some of the first to be taken on, on the 5 year Manpower are getting their JLR contract soon, as a "show of faith" requested by the union.

As for the training provider, up until a few weeks ago it was still Pera, had some lads started in June and they did Pera. don't know if its changed.
    • Derbz
    • By Derbz 24th Aug 17, 7:24 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derbz
    Thanks
    Hi richardd1970

Thanks for all the info.
    I will just start and keep my head down and see what happens.

Is there alot of overtime available??

Yeah i just found it odd that eceryone on here talks about 2 week pera training.

But my email says one week babcock training then start work the next week??
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 24th Aug 17, 8:51 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    Overtime depends on where you work. Never used to be any OT in my factory but it's on all the time now.
    • Derbz
    • By Derbz 24th Aug 17, 9:51 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derbz
    Jlr
    Hello again suicidemachine

Ok thats good news then about overtime.

Do you know anything about who does the training now.
    Pera or Babcocks

Anf when you started did you start on a 3month contract or longer then just get kept on longer??
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 25th Aug 17, 3:20 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    I did Pera, never heard of Babcock but could be them.

When i was started i was told 12 months agency and i'll get a JLR contract for 12 months. Complete that and i'll get a permanent JLR contract.

Over 2.5 years later still on Manpower. No mention of a contract. Will be interesting to see what happens if those people who are supposed to be getting contracts get one. I know people who missed the cut off date by 1 week who havent been told anything. I'm not far behind and i ain't heard anything.
    • Derbz
    • By Derbz 25th Aug 17, 4:00 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derbz
    Help
    Thanks for all the help
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 25th Aug 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,616 Posts
    • 3,824 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    I did Pera, never heard of Babcock but could be them.

When i was started i was told 12 months agency and i'll get a JLR contract for 12 months. Complete that and i'll get a permanent JLR contract.

Over 2.5 years later still on Manpower. No mention of a contract. Will be interesting to see what happens if those people who are supposed to be getting contracts get one. I know people who missed the cut off date by 1 week who havent been told anything. I'm not far behind and i ain't heard anything.
    Originally posted by Suicidemachine
    When did you start? That's the path I took, 12 months Manpower, 12 months Temp JLR, full time contract, go 100% pay next month.

The lad I know who is supposed to be getting his contract was one of the first on the new 5 year Manpower terms.
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 27th Aug 17, 5:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    Your friend probably started in Jan 2015 then. The person i know started in the first week of '5 year deals' in Jan 2015 and hasn't heard a word. No sick/late days or disciplinary. I was in the 4th week of intakes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,162Users online

Martin's Twitter