Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 253
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 18th Feb 17, 9:19 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    It's a joke how they can get away with it. You can work your hardest for the next five years for nothing :-(
    Originally posted by Chingymoto
    What? You don't get a weekly wage?

Although you now have to do 5 years with Manpower, you are still well paid and get the pay increments that mean that after 3 of 4 years you are on £30,000+ for unskilled manual work, more if you do shifts.

We haven't reached the point of anyone getting to 5 years with Manpower yet, so there is no evidence either way of what will happen then.

At least there is a chance of progression to a full time JLR contract, unlike a lot of places that are permanently agency.
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 19th Feb 17, 1:13 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    Union rep also advised no promise of a job after 5 years either even with 100% perfect record. They can simply let you go. They are not allowed to keep you as agency worker after 5 years is all. Don't expect a job.

Think very carefully before accepting a job at JLR if you have a half decent job, especially if you want to get a mortgage etc. You must have 3 years under your belt as agency with most mortgage lenders. I had a very difficult time getting one and i paying over the odds for it due to being Manpower. I want to leave but can't afford too until my remortgage date comes up in 18 months which means i'd have been here over 3.5 years by then so can get a 'normal' mortgage rate.

As stated the money is good for fairly simple work which is the only positive i can say about the place.
    • Markojack01
    • By Markojack01 4th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Markojack01
    To everyone dreaming of getting a job here, I've been there for 3 years and I am dreaming of getting away from the place. Yes it's decent pay but it certainly not a decent environment to work in.
    • dippa
    • By dippa 10th Mar 17, 11:00 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dippa
    Why is it not a decent environment to work in ?
    • Chingymoto
    • By Chingymoto 12th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chingymoto
    @Markojack01 are you contracted or manpower?

Also when your manpower be prepared to be moved around to different jobs or between FA1 and FA2 or body shop.

I must just be unlucky but been here over 1 year now and been moved 8 times because contracted people have took my job.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 12th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    @Markojack01 are you contracted or manpower?

Also when your manpower be prepared to be moved around to different jobs or between FA1 and FA2 or body shop.

I must just be unlucky but been here over 1 year now and been moved 8 times because contracted people have took my job.
    Originally posted by Chingymoto
    That can happen to anyone, all based on length of service.

Had a bloke working with us a couple of weeks ago who had been moved from his job after it was de-manned (only a 4 man section) and he had nearly 30 years service!
    • Markojack01
    • By Markojack01 13th Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Markojack01
    I'm contracted have been for 3 years nearly. That doesn't mean that I didn't have to move from Fa1 to Fa2. It's just not a nice place to be. I hate the politics there and the new daily rumours etc.
    • tdl
    • By tdl 21st Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tdl
    Rumours are they are cutting numbers in easter, no manpower at all. update in the next few weeks.
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 21st Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    There are over 2000 agency at Solihull alone. Not gonna be building that many cars then if they cut them all.
    • grdonc
    • By grdonc 21st Mar 17, 9:37 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    grdonc
    I presume he is talking about the Halewood plant. The management are looking to make their annual efficiencies.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 22nd Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Could be Castle Brom.

Heard today that all the Manpower there are being moved to Solihull and they want another 200 volunteers to move.
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 23rd Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    Hope so. Want to get back on 3 shift ASAP.
    • tdl
    • By tdl 24th Mar 17, 1:18 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tdl
    Halewood
    So many rumours of people going, same every year, I am going with the idea that I have to find a new job in the next 2-3 weeks because It feels terrible working with all the different whispers going around.
    • Stinky Finger
    • By Stinky Finger 6th May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Stinky Finger
    6 days left if interested in Wolverhampton
    http://www.manpower.co.uk/job/2564/production-opportunities-wolverhampton/
    • Cb man
    • By Cb man 9th May 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cb man
    JLR move to Solihull
    Hi new on the forum, moving to Solihull form Jag next week 15/5/17 to FA2 block.
    Any info on FA2 would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 10th May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 3,717 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Hi new on the forum, moving to Solihull form Jag next week 15/5/17 to FA2 block.
    Any info on FA2 would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Cb man
    Hi, afraid can't give any info on FA2, I'm at CB as well transferring soon but no date yet.

Where are you in CB at the moment and what are the arrangements for your first day at Solihull? Where do you meet etc.

Thanks.
    • Suicidemachine
    • By Suicidemachine 13th May 17, 1:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Suicidemachine
    FA2 is nice and shiny, if your going on the track it's better to be there than FA1
    • Cupoftea
    • By Cupoftea 19th May 17, 8:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cupoftea
    Any1 staring 5th June 2017
    • Cupoftea
    • By Cupoftea 19th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cupoftea
    At Solihull
    • Leo365
    • By Leo365 20th May 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo365
    Hi moved from CB to Solihull recently. Monday was induction day . Park at the airport gate 6, catch bus to main reception. From morning til midday various talks given by different people eg health and safety, Union , manager. About life at Solihull.
    After dinner you are taken to your work area introduced to your process leader and shown job you MIGHT BE doing. Come 2pm you go home , no clocking in or out like at CB.
    Then the fun part, this place is MASSIVE trying to find your way to the shuttle bus can be daunting, if you get lost just ask. Jump on the bus,last stop is the airport car park. Takes about 30 mins to get there.
    Jump in car and go home.
    Next day you will be shocked if you have only worked at Jag. There are thousands of people in this place moving around at any one time, the place is shockingly massive. You won't know what's hit you. Nothing like laid back Jag. You have you area induction then get thrown on your job in the very deep end. Trust me you will be shocked. The speed of the tracks is scary. Non stop . Mainly Manpower where I work who will have to do anything their told to to get the non guaranteed contact.

You will crap yourself if you have only worked at CB.
    I wish I had never transferred over that how much of a shock it is to me.

Start finishing times you have to allow extra 30mins travel from /to airport.
    They do not give CB workers a car pass be warned. Some people been waiting over 2years for a pass.

In finishing whilst I do not wish to put people off coming to Solihull and this post is only based on my own experience I hope anyone who is considering the move to Solihull is forewarned. This place is nothing like laid back CB YOU WILL have to sweat for you money here.

Be warned, think very carefully easy life at CB or sweatshop at Solihull. 1hr travelling a day to from /airport WTF every day.

If only someone had given me this info before I transferred. I hope this helps you guys/girls out about starting at Solihull.

Like I said this is only my experience hopefully yours might be better . Before you do please read this post again. Then make your own mind up.

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,159Posts Today

8,509Users online

Martin's Twitter