Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    • 67Posts
    • 15Thanks
    MSE Tony
    Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    Car Breakdown Discussion 27th Mar 12 at 4:48 PM

This discussion is specifically for you to feedback on

Car Breakdown cover

Please first read the

Click 'post reply' to have your say and let us know if it's about home or car cover

To discuss other issues please use one of the following:

Car Insurance

Last edited by MSE Tony; 27-03-2012 at 7:00 PM.
Page 30
    • elsien
    • By elsien 30th Oct 17, 12:35 PM
    • 15,992 Posts
    • 40,332 Thanks
    Haggle with RAC result.
    2 year cover with homestart, onward travel etc knocked down from £180 odd to 121.56, now costing me just over £60 a year.
    I'm happy with that. Never thought to haggle it before now.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • 1230EX
    • By 1230EX 2nd Nov 17, 12:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    My first European road trip recently. The thought of breaking down terrified me the whole way through Europe. I'd consider European breakdown cover an essential purchase for anyone considering it - the premiums aren't that high - particularly as they are annual - compared to the faff of not being covered.

Was able to get what I'd consider a fantastic price of around £70. I didn't need it in the end but in this instance it helped me enjoy the holiday that much more.
    • Inforapennyinforapound
    • By Inforapennyinforapound 22nd Nov 17, 1:36 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    Superb and cheap
    Yes why does the weekly email recommend autoaid (+ RAC/AA) but ignore

I've just spent the last week looking at all the alternatives and Start comes out highly on service as well as on cost. (No, I don't work for them!).

Which? Consumer Association rate them in top 3 (above AA & RAC for speed of response, customer service etc. And it costs just £28 (£35 for cars older than 5 years) and that's for Roadside, National Recovery, Onward Travel, and Homestart.

Far cheaper than the big 4 (AA, RAC, Green Flag, Brittania).

Saga was highly rated too, but much more expensive.

Only thing I noticed missing is StartRescue won't cover you if you run out of fuel, though they will if you put diesel in a petrol tank.....
    Originally posted by G_M

Totally agree with this. Why is this company not even mentioned on this website(MSE)?

I have only needed them once and they were very efficient and price is unbeatable for everything quoted above.
    So,why do they not rate a mention in the weekly email? Call me cynical.
    I recommend that people should take a look at the startrescue website. It costs nothing to look,and no, i have no connection to them and am about to renew for me and partner for £55 for 2 cars full cover.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 22nd Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 21,649 Posts
    • 10,459 Thanks
    Autoaid is cheaper than that though, especially if your married and have lots of vehicles.
    • den169
    • By den169 23rd Nov 17, 10:48 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Autoaid is cheaper than that though, especially if your married and have lots of vehicles.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Yes Autoaid is the best used them for years called them out this year at peak time they were there in 45 minutes.Brought the car home and didn't even want paying they get there money from Autoaid now.
    I only paid £30 through a groupon voucher this year.And they now cover commercials up to 3.5 tons which means it covers my car and my pickup saving me even more money.
    • kalpo1
    • By kalpo1 11th Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    First Time Buyer
    Does anyone have any feedback for - they offer cover from £12.75 (£17 if you include national cover)... which is a lot less than anything in the MSE breakdown cover guide which talks about £21+

What am I missing?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Dec 17, 9:29 PM
    • 34,769 Posts
    • 18,794 Thanks
    Maybe do a quote on line and see if you can get cover for £17!!

(Note that unlike most competitors you either pay £40 per callout or much more for your premium with nil excess!)
    • kalpo1
    • By kalpo1 12th Dec 17, 6:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maybe do a quote on line and see if you can get cover for £17!!

(Note that unlike most competitors you either pay £40 per callout or much more for your premium with nil excess!)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    £18.60 without excess... they donít cover tyres if you donít have a spare but they do cover fuel and have unlimited call outs.

Should cover include parts/ labour costs towards the repair?
    • Scooterman
    • By Scooterman 13th Dec 17, 9:36 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    i agree that Autoaid is fantastic value
    I've been a member of Autoaid for years (after many years with the GEM scheme - which I joined after huge annoyance at AA hike in 2nd year rates). I didn't realise until today (thanks Martin) that they have dropped the `pay-up-front-and-then-claim-reimbursement' policy: that makes it even better value for money.
    Twice used for my big motor scooter and help arrived very quickly.
    • zenshi
    • By zenshi 29th Dec 17, 9:58 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    Iím just about to start searching for breakdown cover but thought Iíd ask about the lesser known companies. Iíve only ever used the big two before

My circumstances have changed since I last had cover. I donít do many miles but when I do itís long distance so home recovery is essential. I am also a single female, sadly without the know how to simply change a tyre, of which I am annoyed with myself. New car to me about two months ago and itís 7 Yearís old

Any recommendations?
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    Mar 18......£17,919.....7 creditors left 33% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £23,364
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £44,741
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 29th Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 4,213 Posts
    • 22,205 Thanks
    We!!!8217;ve used Autoaid for years now, it covers my husband and I in any car. We!!!8217;ve had to call them out three times, they use a firm local to where you break down so help arrives very quickly (they asked if I was on my own when I called). The first time I had to pay up front, forgot to reclaim for 6 months But was paid promptly when I sent in receipt. Lately I didn!!!8217;t need to do that, they were paid directly by Autoaid. Thoroughly recommended.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of
    • Scr00ge
    • By Scr00ge 2nd Jan 18, 10:49 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    AutoAid exclusions for old cars?
    Looks like AutoAid is highly recommended. I'm thinking of taking out a policy with them but our two cars are more than 10 years old.

Does anyone know if they have any exclusions for old cars?

• geoffplus
    • By geoffplus 11th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    38 Years of RAC Renewals
    Been with the RAC since 1980. In the last 10 years or so I have had to haggle each year to get a reasonable deal. Always been prepared to switch to another supplier's 'New Member' deal then back for the RAC's 'New Member' deal the following year, but so far have managed to get a competitive price out of them before having to.

This year they moved my premium from £138 to £159.99. No reason given for this 15% hike at all. Checked the AA and even better cover than I currently have with the RAC available at £125 for new members. Presented this to RAC and sure enough deal matched.

They do this because they know not everyone bothers to check alternative suppliers and just renew each year.
    • Plus
    • By Plus 25th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    £34.99 rac?
    The article leads on a £34.99 RAC policy, which you can then get cashback on.
    Where do you find this policy on the RAC site?

The RAC affiliate link takes me to a page where the cheapest offer is Rescue Essential for £8/month (£96/year) or I can 'build my own policy', where the cheapest is vehicle cover at £5.50/month (£66/year).

None of those come anywhere near £34.99 per year. Did I miss it somewhere?

(I'm also not very impressed with the RAC quoting monthly prices, which is generally a ruse for hiding a high annual figure)

Edit: I found it now. At the very bottom of the screen there's a bar where you can select Annual or Monthly. For some reason it defaults to monthly. The bar hovers over the rest of the page, but if you're on a big enough screen it may be nowhere near the prices you're selecting. What terrible web design.
    Last edited by Plus; 25-01-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    • petestan
    • By petestan 29th Jan 18, 11:56 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    I have been with Insurance choice breakdown insurance for the last few years, I have had to use them on a couple of occasions but not for he last couple of years, but it seems they have decided they no longer want to do breakdown insurance any longer, it's no longer available via their site, looks like I may have to try AutoAid instead.
    • matchplayer
    • By matchplayer 1st Feb 18, 4:54 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    AA topcashback reduced!
    I had looked at using the deal reported by Martin for £47.77 cashback (actually only £27.77 as the site charges £20 more than without topcashback cookie). However they have reduced that deal to £20 now. So clear the cookies or install a new browser & just go straight to AA. I say AA, as they are the only one that will cover me for being a Taxi! Unless you know better?
    Go to AA get a quote of £99, go via topcashback it is £119???
    • By 2010 3rd Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 3,334 Thanks
    Going through Quidco link,the RAC for basic roadside cover is £34-99 and the cashback is £5-50.
    MSE are saying it should be £13 taking the price to £21.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 34,769 Posts
    • 18,794 Thanks
    MSE article is dated 2017 - cashback rewards from quidco do change regularly
    • By 2010 3rd Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 4,183 Posts
    • 3,334 Thanks
    I`ve decided to go with which is also on Quidco but a lot cheaper than the AA/RAC.
    • faddy
    • By faddy 10th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Pay As You Go breakdown services
    Do you have experience of being rescued by any of the Pay as You Go breakdown recovery services? I am considering this solution, but I cannot find any user reviews for the cheapest companies. So maybe we could collect some reviews here?

The two companies with no annual fee that I have found so far are:
    Two companies offer pay as you products for an annual fee:
    Originally posted by David42
    The above was asked four years ago but didn't seem to get any response. Does anyone have any views/experience of PAYG breakdown services and in particular Boleyn (or any other service able to connect you to local breakdown services anywhere in the country)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,797Users online

Martin's Twitter