Car Breakdown Discussion

Comments

• tomloaf
    tomloaf Posts: 31 Forumite
    Have you or anyone had any experience with GEM i have never come across them.
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2013 at 9:27AM
    tomloaf wrote: »
    I have recently got my renewal from RAC and as normal t is silly money as my wife has used it twice this year. There “new customers” policy is a lot cheaper online and I can get some good cash back from it. Is there anything legally stopping me cancelling my policy and just my wife starting a new policy in her name and adding me on
    I think AA and RAC must be the most expensive breakdown rescuers on the planet.
    I'm with vehicle-rescue.com and they're a lot cheaper
    I have no experience of being rescued yet so I can't vouch for them in that respect
    They certainly sound ok
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    den169 wrote: »
    Look at GEM £96 for you and wife any car with £20 cashback,Similar cover to AA rac.

Autoid is only £39 for the 2 of you for comprehensive cover. See the MSE guide.
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2013 at 1:01PM
    Quentin wrote: »
    Autoid is only £39 for the 2 of you for comprehensive cover. See the MSE guide.
    Yes autoaid are the best price for full cover but they don't cover vans or pickups Gem do thats the reason i went with Gem so both my car and my pickup is covered otherwise i would go with autoaid everytime..Also autoaid is pay the recovery and claim back later.Not what everyone wants.
  • tomloaf
    I have been told and read bad things about pay and recover companies. Are gem this type like rac/aa?
  • Quentin
    edited 30 October 2013 at 1:57PM
    If you have read bad things about autoaid please post about them as MSE does push them in their guide, and generally they and their service appear well recommended.

From the MSE guide regarding autoaid:

It's now been our top pick for a few years and MoneySavers who use it almost
    universally report good feedback
  • tomloaf
    I thought i had read bad things on this forum but ill look again
  • tomloaf
    I also want to know with autoaid do you just phone them up and they send out a pick up van and they then do exactly as the rac would but you just pay for it there and then and then get the money back form autoaid or do you have to sort out your own pick up van as well. I dont want my wife to have to sort that sort of stuff out if she brakes down
  • Quentin
    They give you a freephone and a geographic number to call for emergency help.

Google autoaid to find out more, assuming you already read the MSE guide about them.
  • I pay around £65 with the rac for breakdown and recovery.

I then switch to the aa for the introductory offer.

Obviously they've cottoned onto this so the present provider tends to offer renewal at the other big ones offer especially if you've never called them out.

That is what bothers me about `breakdown cover` incorporated into your car insuarance. I wonder whether these less well known providers will turn up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback