Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 14Thanks
    MSE Tony
    Car Breakdown Discussion
    • 27th Mar 12, 4:48 PM
    Car Breakdown Discussion 27th Mar 12 at 4:48 PM

This discussion is specifically for you to feedback on

Car Breakdown cover

Please first read the

Click 'post reply' to have your say and let us know if it's about home or car cover

To discuss other issues please use one of the following:

Car Insurance

Feedback

Last edited by MSE Tony; 27-03-2012 at 7:00 PM.
Page 29
    • 2muchfun
    • By 2muchfun 28th Apr 17, 12:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    2muchfun
    AA member 37 years!!! best offer for renewal £123.00 (incl 'complimentary' Member Benefits for stuff that is always far far away & unusable). Signed up with Auto Aid - hope not to need but the price difference is unbelievable.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 28th Apr 17, 12:32 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Vote with your feet, best way to teach them
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • nappy501
    • By nappy501 31st May 17, 6:34 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    nappy501
    Looking for a recommendation for breakdown cover
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some breakdown cover. I have a 2004 Peugeot Expert van that is for my own personal use. I sometimes transport clients for work, but not as a taxi.

I have just had a look at AutoAid and the van weighs too much. Any recommendations for a company to use apart from the big names expensive ones. Thank you.
    • AG47
    • By AG47 22nd Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    AG47
    Covers from home as well?
    I'm looking for the best breakdown cover that covers me from home as well?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
    • AG47
    • By AG47 22nd Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    AG47
    Is the aa for £109 the best one?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 22nd Jul 17, 2:01 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,006 Thanks
    Quentin
    Sounds expensive compared with the cheaper firms mentioned in the mse article on breakdown services

Do your own checks to see if the cover from aa does justify the cost

See the cashback sites who usually do cashback for as purchases
    Last edited by Quentin; 22-07-2017 at 2:03 PM.
    • AG47
    • By AG47 22nd Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    AG47
    Which ever service you use, make sure you get the introductory discount, do not use the TopCashBack offers listed on this site, they do not pay out.

I have video evidence of signup process, the support at TopCashBack are next to useless, just an automated email or 1 line email when complaint made and nothing for MONTHS.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    This is a shame I just paid £109
    • AG47
    • By AG47 22nd Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    AG47
    I should cancel in cooling off period
    • AG47
    • By AG47 25th Jul 17, 8:26 AM
    • 610 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    AG47
    Trying to cancel but they are making it difficult

I paid £109 and it's not even a very good one, there are much cheaper deals I see now
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 22nd Aug 17, 1:41 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,866 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

Our Breakdown Cover guide is in our weekly email again this week so you may see more questions and discussion on this thread. If you're a regular here on the Insurance board and can help newbies out on here please do.

Thank you!
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • OldGuit
    • By OldGuit 23rd Aug 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    OldGuit
    Missing provider
    Lots of talk about the big famous outfits but shouldn't comparisons also include the lesser known? We've been with StartRescue (startrescue.co.uk) for a good few years now and they're great. Their basic cover BEATS MSE's recommended by a long way -- £16.45. Can't understand why they aren't included in MSE's comparisons??!! We have had to call them out and our experience was: quick, efficient, helpful friendly, good follow-up.
    • waddy13
    • By waddy13 30th Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    waddy13
    Haggle with AA RESULT
    AA renewal came in at £202.67 for roadside and relay single car cover,rang up to haggle and was offered same cover for £166.07 , £137.83 , £124.54 finaly settled on new member offer price (as on website) of
    £89. Saved £113.67 for 10 mins phone call
    • cefynbach
    • By cefynbach 5th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    cefynbach
    I have a Peugout Boxer Holdsworth Campervan which is 20 years old and having difficulty in finding a reasonably priced breakdown. It is my only vehicle and there are no other vehicles in household as I am on my own.
    Any ideas anyone
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 41,460 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    G_M
    Yes why does the weekly email recommend autoaid (+ RAC/AA) but ignore www.startrescue.co.uk?

I've just spent the last week looking at all the alternatives and Start comes out highly on service as well as on cost. (No, I don't work for them!).

Which? Consumer Association rate them in top 3 (above AA & RAC for speed of response, customer service etc. And it costs just £28 (£35 for cars older than 5 years) and that's for Roadside, National Recovery, Onward Travel, and Homestart.

Far cheaper than the big 4 (AA, RAC, Green Flag, Brittania).

Saga was highly rated too, but much more expensive.

Only thing I noticed missing is StartRescue won't cover you if you run out of fuel, though they will if you put diesel in a petrol tank.....
    Last edited by G_M; 11-10-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    • Mateen
    • By Mateen 13th Oct 17, 2:19 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mateen
    Breakdown Cover £24 via Deals Site.
    I have found Breakdown Cover at a deals website for £24

Premium cover includes: roadside assistance | local recovery | national recovery | home start | onward travel | car hire | overnight accommodation.

I am thinking of going for this. Is there any reason I should be worried?

Thank you very much for your feedback.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,006 Thanks
    Quentin
    Without knowing the company no one can really advise or comment

Use google or search here for reviews of the company involved - as you will be aware it is very cheap - wonder why?
    • Mateen
    • By Mateen 13th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mateen
    Hi, it's coming up as a rating of 3.6 stars out of 5.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 41,460 Posts
    • 47,842 Thanks
    G_M
    Without knowing the company no one can really advise or comment
    Hi, it's coming up as a rating of 3.6 stars out of 5.
    Originally posted by Mateen
    That does not answer the question!

and 3.6 stars allocated by who? A review site where the company itself enters 'reviews', or an objective evaluation by, for example, the Consumers Association?
    • Amsyv
    • By Amsyv 16th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Amsyv
    Greenflag - 50% off Renewal Quote
    I've been hunting for a decent breakdown cover that didn't cost the earth - my renewal quote was for £182.40 (includes recovery at home and national etc so its full cover) and spotted this! definitely worth giving them a call, they are more than happy to have a look at a quote for you and talk through the options. My renewal quote is based on a two year policy to works out at about £90/year - Greenflag were more than happy to assist and provide the promised 50% off - policy now costs me only £44.80 for the year! WOW!

If only phoning to cancel my current policy was as easy! I am not naming names here but given the deal you can narrow it down. From the moment I spoke to my current provider they advised me that I would not get the same cover, stating greenflag do not cover at home or national?? eh I think they do! they then proceeded to tear strips off the cover and became rather intimidating. I had been with this company for years and have recommended them on several occasions, so I am now left feeling disgusted and taken aback. Needless to say they couldn't offer anywhere near the deal I got through greenflag so greenflag recovery plus it is for me and my car!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,496Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin