Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 26th Mar 12, 8:42 PM
    • 30,286Posts
    • 56,944Thanks
    Birth Mother
    • 26th Mar 12, 8:42 PM
    Birth Mother 26th Mar 12 at 8:42 PM
    I was reading some old threads on MSE the other day and in one was a link to a site where adopted people could put in details of anyone they wanted to find. Just on a whim, I put in the few details I had of my birth mother. I was adopted as a baby in 1950.

Anyway, I think I have found her! We have an address and a phone number.

I'm pretty sure I have the right person, she is still alive and in her 80s. She had no more children and her husband has died.

Not sure what to do next, but as my husband says, she is an old lady, so don't let time take the decision out of my hands.
    At the very least I would like her to know that I have had a happy upbringing, a happy marriage of forty years (I have been married longer than she has!), that I understand totally why she had me adopted and that she has a grandson aged 32. Also that I am a Christian, as it was important to her for me to be brought up C of E (my adoptive family were non-believers). If that's all that happens, that's OK.

My husband says he might ring her up. He is very sensitive and tactful and good at reading situations. I don't mind if he does this. I'm aware she might not want to know, but would like to give her the chance. I would not have a problem with it if she didn't , I would understand.

Dazed and Confused.....
Page 29
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 13th Jan 18, 2:29 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    I've just found this thread and had to read it all.

What a wonderful story SDW, thanks for sharing. X
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 13th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,670 Posts
    • 6,524 Thanks
    ska lover
    I've just found this thread and had to read it all.

What a wonderful story SDW, thanks for sharing. X
    Originally posted by Greta Sharbo
    Same here, just found this thread this morning and sat reading it all

Thank you Seven Day Weekend for sharing, what a ride of it you have had

all the very best x
    The opposite of what you also true
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 6th Mar 18, 4:23 AM
    • 30,286 Posts
    • 56,944 Thanks
    I have an unusual and unexpected update.

Some of you may remember that I while ago I did an Ancestry DNA test. It came up with general information about what regions were in my DNA, etc.

A few weeks ago I was just looking at my results again and I noticed there was a match for a second cousin come up. I contacted her and we exchanged emails.

Anyway, it turns out that this match has to be from my birth FATHER's side. I know nothing at all about him, not even his name. My second cousin has sent me some names of people who are her uncles and aunts and cousins and there is one name on that list who is the right age to be my birth father. He is now deceased, but he has a son, a few years younger than me, who if the man is my father, is my half brother .

I am reluctant to pursue this at the moment because of my birth mother, she so obviously does not want to talk about the man who is my birth father, I have asked her a couple of times what his name is but she has evaded the question each time.

I am going to meet my second cousin at some point, just for informal coffee and chat, so we will just see what, if anything develops. I won't push it, but I will just keep the names she has given me in case I can do anything about it in the future.

On a brighter note, my mother is 90 in a couple of weeks and we are going out for lunch, I am going to get her some balloons and cakes and there will be my son and his partner and other family connections there. She will love it!!
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 06-03-2018 at 4:28 AM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 6th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 10,197 Posts
    • 13,083 Thanks
    Aww gave me goosebumps Lovely news. Debating whether to do the Ancestry DNA one myself to see what comes up (also adopted). Not sure if I'm ready to go there just yet... Which one did you use? Ta!

2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 6th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 30,286 Posts
    • 56,944 Thanks
    Aww gave me goosebumps Lovely news. Debating whether to do the Ancestry DNA one myself to see what comes up (also adopted). Not sure if I'm ready to go there just yet... Which one did you use? Ta!

Originally posted by hazyjo
    Just the Ancestry DNA Test which was £99 when I did it, I think it is on special offer at the moment.

Good luck. xxx

I think it's this one:
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 6th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Thank you so much for updating us, SDW! Have a lovely time with your mother and family for her birthday. xx
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 22,553 Thanks
    Good to hear the update SDW. It's always a bit 'heart in the mouth' when I see you've done an update with not knowing what you're posting about.
    • Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 6th Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 25,144 Thanks
    Brighton belle
    Thanks for the update SDW, always enjoy reading about this aspect of your life.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 6th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 20,001 Posts
    • 32,920 Thanks
    Thanks for the update SDW and I think you're right, meet up with your new found cousin, but don't persue anything else at the minute. You have a lovely relationship with your birth mother. One day the time may come when it's right to investigate further of other relatives.

Happy 90th birthday to your mother and enjoy the family celebrations.
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 10th Mar 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    harrys nan
    Wishing your mum a very Happy 90th Birthday SDW, such a great update yet again.
    I would love you to be able to find out about your dad, but you have a lovely time now with your mum, meet up with your new found relative but keep it to your self.
    Look forward to your next update xx
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 30,286 Posts
    • 56,944 Thanks
    Thanks everyone, I am meeting my cousin on 4th April for coffee. She lives miles away from me, but is coming to Shrewsbury to visit someone and I can get to Shrewsbury easily enough.

I think I will leave it there. I don't want to upset my mother.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 10-03-2018 at 5:54 PM.
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 11th Mar 18, 1:30 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    I'm a newbie on this thread, and I've spent several hours reading most of the posts from the beginning in 2012, and all of yours SDW.

Wow, what an amazing, heartwarming story! I cried at many parts, such as the lovely warm welcome you got from your birth Mother and Auntie V, and your Mother's account of the mother and baby home, and being forced to give you up. And your adoptive mum seeing a girl crying, as they took you away, and she realised later it was your real mum. Heartbreaking.

I also read the whole page of other adoption stories you posted here, and that had me in floods too.

I was adopted too and found my birth mother when I was in my 20s in the 1990s. It was very emotional, and she joked about giving up the anti-depressants now she'd found me. She'd had terrible guilt about being forced to give me up. And she was pleased I kept the name she gave me. She'd heard rumours I'd been given a new name.

We stayed in touch til her death a few years ago, but she had a hard life, and we weren't as close as I'd hoped. My birth mother was married, but I wasn't her husband's.

She claims my birth father "wouldn't take no for an answer" and that's how I came to be. Not sure if that's true; it could have been a fling, as she said her husband was a b******! And they split up soon after that. She also told me my birth father died shortly after I was born, then years later she claimed "He lives in London" (far away from where we all live). Hmmm.

Even if I wanted to find him I only have a first name for him. And if I was conceived the way she claimed, I don't want to find him!

Did you find it spooky hearing stories of yourself as a baby?

On my Social Services documents it says on the day of my adoption, I was in the middle of a Tug o' War with my birth mother and a police woman, and that I was very distressed. Thank god I don't remember that!

I loved my adoptive mother, but I lost her when I was young. But I'm very lucky. I have a wonderful adoptive father who I think of as my real Dad. And my step mum is lovely too, and they are both well in their 70s.

So happy for you SDW. And so glad you mother is being looked after and doing so well, coming up to 90.

Thank you for sharing your story

It's past my bedtime again.
    That means it's Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to you and your Mother!
    Last edited by RealGem; 11-03-2018 at 2:24 AM.
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 11th Mar 18, 6:37 AM
    • 30,286 Posts
    • 56,944 Thanks
    Thank you RealGem. xx

And Happy Mother's Day to all mothers out there, natural and adoptive, and also to those who have had to give their children up, or have lost children through death.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,204Posts Today

7,516Users online

Martin's Twitter