Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 26th Mar 12, 8:42 PM
    • 29,962Posts
    • 56,262Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Birth Mother
    • 26th Mar 12, 8:42 PM
    Birth Mother 26th Mar 12 at 8:42 PM
    I was reading some old threads on MSE the other day and in one was a link to a site where adopted people could put in details of anyone they wanted to find. Just on a whim, I put in the few details I had of my birth mother. I was adopted as a baby in 1950.

Anyway, I think I have found her! We have an address and a phone number.

I'm pretty sure I have the right person, she is still alive and in her 80s. She had no more children and her husband has died.

Not sure what to do next, but as my husband says, she is an old lady, so don't let time take the decision out of my hands.
    At the very least I would like her to know that I have had a happy upbringing, a happy marriage of forty years (I have been married longer than she has!), that I understand totally why she had me adopted and that she has a grandson aged 32. Also that I am a Christian, as it was important to her for me to be brought up C of E (my adoptive family were non-believers). If that's all that happens, that's OK.

My husband says he might ring her up. He is very sensitive and tactful and good at reading situations. I don't mind if he does this. I'm aware she might not want to know, but would like to give her the chance. I would not have a problem with it if she didn't , I would understand.

Dazed and Confused.....
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”: C.S. Lewis
    LOving and caring Corbynista to Jacob Rees-Mogg : 'Why don't you F*** off and die?' J.R-M 'If I do, will you please pray for my immortal soul?' '
Page 28
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 14th Jan 17, 10:36 AM
    • 29,962 Posts
    • 56,262 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Birth Mother - UPDATE -husband's long lost relatives !
    Hi, resurrected this again to say, relationship with mother good, she came to us again for Christmas - and I will remember Auntie V on the 23rd, the day of her death, although I remember her every day x

Thought I would use this thread to give some more news of long-lost family.

My husband knew no-one on his father's side apart from one Grandad.

Anyway, he put his father's and grandad's names into Missing You (the same site I found Mother and Auntie V on).

Lo and behold, it turned out his Grandad had NINE children, including my husband's father All those Uncles and Aunties he never knew So you don't need to be adopted to not know your family.

Someone else happened to be researching the same family tree and got in touch!! She is a daughter of one of my husband's unknown cousins (now unfortunately deceased). We are all now friends on FB although we haven't as yet met. She lives near my Birth Mother, what a co-incidence.

Then on New Year's Eve a man got in touch, with the same surname as the person we already were in touch with - turned out to be her uncle, and my husband's first cousin (his mum was my husband's aunt). So we also are friends on FB.

We are in the process of arranging a meet up, halfway from where we both live. Exciting!!

Watch this space.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”: C.S. Lewis
    LOving and caring Corbynista to Jacob Rees-Mogg : 'Why don't you F*** off and die?' J.R-M 'If I do, will you please pray for my immortal soul?' '
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 14th Jan 17, 11:58 AM
    • 17,018 Posts
    • 26,063 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Wow, your family is getting bigger
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 14th Jan 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    harrys nan
    sdw,
    lovely news and thank you for keeping us updated. Your families are certainly growing.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 2nd Aug 17, 7:05 AM
    • 29,962 Posts
    • 56,262 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    jUST SOME NEWS TO SAY mOTHER IS IN HOSPITAL WITH A BROKEN HIP - HAD A FALL. sHE WENT INTO THEATRE AT 3 PM YESTERDAY BUT WE WERE NOT ABLE TO GET THROUGH BY PHONE AFTER THAT, SO \I WILL RING THIS MORNING.

(Whoops, sorry about capitals - will keep trhe thread updated.
    • iris
    • By iris 2nd Aug 17, 8:05 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 3,364 Thanks
    iris
    jUST SOME NEWS TO SAY mOTHER IS IN HOSPITAL WITH A BROKEN HIP - HAD A FALL. sHE WENT INTO THEATRE AT 3 PM YESTERDAY BUT WE WERE NOT ABLE TO GET THROUGH BY PHONE AFTER THAT, SO \I WILL RING THIS MORNING.

(Whoops, sorry about capitals - will keep trhe thread updated.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend

So sorry to hear your news sdw.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 2nd Aug 17, 11:10 AM
    • 7,610 Posts
    • 16,788 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Hoping she has a swift recovery - look after yourself as well as her

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • nicter
    • By nicter 2nd Aug 17, 12:03 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    nicter
    x
    Hope she makes a speedy and full recovery sdw x
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 2nd Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 17,018 Posts
    • 26,063 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Hope she makes a speedy recovery.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 2nd Aug 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 3,496 Thanks
    jackomdj
    SDW sorry to hear your news, hope she recovers quickly. I always look to see the update when I see your post has moved back up x
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 2nd Aug 17, 7:28 PM
    • 29,962 Posts
    • 56,262 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Hello everyone. She is OK, had her op and has managed to walk a little bit!! We will go to see her tomorrow so will update then,

Thanks all for your good wishes xx
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 2nd Aug 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    harrys nan
    Hello everyone. She is OK, had her op and has managed to walk a little bit!! We will go to see her tomorrow so will update then,

That's good news, here's hoping that she picks up soon. xx

Harry born 23/09/2008
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 2nd Aug 17, 7:42 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 6,122 Thanks
    Fosterdog

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 2nd Aug 17, 8:47 PM
    • 8,312 Posts
    • 32,060 Thanks
    ampersand
    sdw - I am another who stumbled on this thread. In so doing, have just realised I've missed monthly Compline, which I hold dear in our village church.
    #
    Reading here has felt like one of the prayers that will have been spoken tonight + taiz! music, therefore quasi-forgiven :-)

Thinking of you all - &.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 22nd Aug 17, 10:45 AM
    • 29,962 Posts
    • 56,262 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Hi there. Mother has now been moved to a convalescent home where they are all amazed at her progress, and she will be able to return home eventually (with a few adaptations). Thanks all for your interest. xx
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 22nd Aug 17, 10:46 AM
    • 29,962 Posts
    • 56,262 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    sdw - I am another who stumbled on this thread. In so doing, have just realised I've missed monthly Compline, which I hold dear in our village church.
    #
    Reading here has felt like one of the prayers that will have been spoken tonight + taiz! music, therefore quasi-forgiven :-)

Thinking of you all - &.
    Originally posted by ampersand
    What a lovely post, thank you xxxx
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 22nd Aug 17, 10:57 AM
    • 7,610 Posts
    • 16,788 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Great to hear there's been good progress SDW!

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 22nd Aug 17, 12:15 PM
    • 8,312 Posts
    • 32,060 Thanks
    ampersand
    Hear! Hear!'d, by me, hbs.

Thankyou for such a positive update, sdw. Your dm having her daughter around and about, a daily mindset presence, must be a big part of that recovery. Great news.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 12th Jan 18, 3:51 PM
    • 29,962 Posts
    • 56,262 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Mother is fine. She is doing very well, has been back home for a couple of months and is very mobile with her with her walker. She came to us for Christmas.

I have had an unexpected development. I know nothing at all about my birth father, not even his name, my mother so obviously does not want to talk about him, so I haven't pushed it,

I had an Ancestry DNA test a while back, just to get an overview of my heritage, not expecting to find anything else. Anyway, a match has come up to a second, or possibly first, cousin. I have contacted this person and it looks as though this is on my father's side. She is hopefully going to send me from more information.

I will have to be careful here, I don't want in any way for this side of the family to know any details of my birth mother, she obviously finds it distressing and I think it will be upsetting for her to know I am in contact. I think any contact I may have is going to have to be emails/texts only, and if I do meet anyone, it will have to be on neutral territory - maybe in the town halfway between theirs and mine (the family is from the same place as my mother). Anyway it is early days yet - we will see what, if anything develops. Watch this space.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 12-01-2018 at 3:59 PM.
    • scottish lassy
    • By scottish lassy 12th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    scottish lassy
    Wow! This is soooo exciting. Please do keep us posted.
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 12th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 2,937 Thanks
    harrys nan
    Oh wow sdw, more new relatives to look forward to meeting up with, keep us informed please. Good luck xx

Harry born 23/09/2008
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

2,161Users online

Martin's Twitter