Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 370
    • misfire
    • By misfire 3rd Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    misfire
    Love a good charity shop bargain! haven't posted for ages went to a local town today, loads of charity shops, thought there would be loads of good pickings after christmas, unwanted gifts but nooooo lots of very overpriced stuff but no major bargains - got 4 pairs of trousers for my daughter for £1 each, including some school ones so that saved the day! (others were pink next jeans, blue next jeans and asda leggings) Am going to go back over this thread, read all your amazing bargains and make sure i look better when I go to charity shops lol
    Last edited by misfire; 03-01-2018 at 4:53 PM.
    Debt is gone - weight is next. I will be a skinny money saver at some point :-)
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 3rd Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    only 2 skinny belts at a £! each but i get through them quickly and begrudge paying shop prices for something no one sees!
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £765.00.00/£1000 Baby Step 1
    # 110 Paid off by xmas 2018 - £115/£6543
    De-clutter challenge 2018 - 3 items a day
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 3rd Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 5,543 Posts
    • 23,431 Thanks
    Mirů
    Harrump.....fruitless trundle around the charity shops of Otley today. All of them seemed stuffed with leftover blingy bling Chrimbo frocks and Chrimbo jumpers!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 3rd Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hello all, I'd like to join in, if I may?
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 3rd Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Got quite excited today, after trying on an M & S pair of black jeans, but putting them back as they were a little short and pricey at around £30. Had a wander around town, and visited charity shops.

Blow me if BHF didn't have a near identical pair for £2.79! Well, I just had to, didn't I? Tried them on at home and they are a little longer than the brand new pair, spooky or what? I am putting it down to good karma as I had to do a big clear out of mine and OH's stuff....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 3rd Jan 18, 10:35 PM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 57,090 Thanks
    scottishminnie

If itís CVS, Iíve found Boots own brand (not No 7) had the same status and premium price. This was in Vegas, over 10 years ago....
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    It was indeed CVS. It was quite a spectacular aisle end display and had several well heeled local ladies oohing and ahhing over it. Took every ounce of will power just to walk out without imparting my opinion to tnem.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 24,530 Posts
    • 51,928 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    2 BNWT Kaliko drapey jersey tops, greyish purple & teal £2.50 each from Mind
    Originally posted by Floss
    I wore a BN fitted Kaliko blouse for the first time today - looked very smart and only I knew it cost me all of £1. This private knowledge put a spring in my step, I tell you

Hello all, I'd like to join in, if I may?
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    We are a very exclusive group, only those with a nose for a good bargain may participate in this thread.
    Luckily you have already proved your credentials wth your karma jeans find
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 4th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 32,929 Thanks
    dolly84
    only 2 skinny belts at a £! each but i get through them quickly and begrudge paying shop prices for something no one sees!
    Originally posted by foxyloxy11
    I used to wear my belts out regularly so I eventually invested in a beautiful leather one from Fat Face during one of their half price sales, I expect to get many more years from it yet.

Harrump.....fruitless trundle around the charity shops of Otley today. All of them seemed stuffed with leftover blingy bling Chrimbo frocks and Chrimbo jumpers!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I hope this has improved by the weekend, I am visiting Ilkley and Otley I think, the other option is Harrogate.

The kids and me are popping to a lovely little town near us today, it is a very arty, indy, hippy type town with several CS and lots of other interesting shops too including a lovely chippy, I don't want any clothes but am on the look out for a metal thermos and a coffee bean grinder.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 4th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 53,977 Thanks
    silvasava
    My trip to the local market town didn't come off. Did briefly look in a local one but nothing grabbed me. I'm on the lookout for a cocktail shaker but a 'proper' one! I did a cocktail making course on holiday and I'm hooked on Espresso Martinis!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 4th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 12,645 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Had a good haul in Wimbledon in Crimbo Limbo time (27 Dec):

-M&S cord trousers in my favourite colour with nice buttons- £4
    -M&S long, lined warm skirt with unusual pattern- £6
    -Nordic knit patterned fleece-lined hat with tassle- £1.50

All prompted by the weather no doubt, which was filthy that day!

The sales in the "proper" shops were really uninspiring after that so didn't buy any normal, boring non-charity shop stuff.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 4th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 40,859 Thanks
    Frith
    St Richards hospice shop, Worcester today.

Cream light cotton long sleeved tunic top, sort of broderie anglais fabric-£4

Looked it up online and it’s from a Danish company called minus.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 4,190 Posts
    • 35,805 Thanks
    Floss
    New thread started - link below

As the previous thread had been going for over 5 years, and had almost 7.4 thousand posts, I thought we had best have a new one for 2018...

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

See you over there!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 5th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 26,021 Posts
    • 106,000 Thanks
    candygirl
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I used to love the Otley chazzers, when we visited my ex Outlaws.They were soooo cheap 😁😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

294Posts Today

2,642Users online

Martin's Twitter