Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 362
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 5th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,663 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Two longer body length tops, both black. One thin jumper from LaRedoute and one jersey top with a zip detail, Limited Collection from M&S. Both £3 from the local hospice shop.

I'm 5'8 and long ish body anyway but the rapidly growing second baby bump just adds to the problem lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 24,161 Posts
    • 50,791 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have been like a child in a sweetshop today...DH is away so no shopping monitor when I came home!

I found:
    2 Phase 8 floaty tops, 1 white, 1 ivory
    Gerry Weber burgundy/pink/ivory/grey silk front top
    Next "Luxe" grey cotton/cashmere fine sweater
    Woolovers grey long line merino/cashmere cardi
    Seasalt reversible top in burgundy/white
    and a cream & grey Atmosphere coatigan.
    Total spend £25

Oh, and DH has bought me a gorgeous soft baby pink drapey cardi for Christmas...he's ever so clever seeing as he is 180 miles away!
    Originally posted by Floss
    Another amazing haul. Be sure to hide it at the back of the cupboard before its discovered
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 5th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    Two longer body length tops, both black. One thin jumper from LaRedoute and one jersey top with a zip detail, Limited Collection from M&S. Both £3 from the local hospice shop.

I'm 5'8 and long ish body anyway but the rapidly growing second baby bump just adds to the problem lol
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    I read that as i'm 58, then saw the baby bump bit
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 24,161 Posts
    • 50,791 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I read that as i'm 58, then saw the baby bump bit
    Originally posted by candygirl

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Dec 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4,088 Posts
    • 33,646 Thanks
    Floss
    Haha! By the time I have sorted out my wardrobe to weed out not-worn items, he won't notice

He is quite easy-going though - he accepts that my wardrobe content is often changing via Ebay sales & chazzer purchases
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 5th Dec 17, 11:46 PM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 8,124 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Re Bayliss n Harding sets , my DD has once again bought my Mum one ,despite my warnings of where it will end up
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Is B&H quality worse than Poundland?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 6th Dec 17, 2:19 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver

lots of soaps etc REALLY irritate my psoriasis, oddly B&H (now I know what you're all on about) doesn't
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Dec 17, 7:09 AM
    • 18,545 Posts
    • 47,742 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Floss & Wednesday 2000 - some fab bargains there.

Well, I am convinced my local hospice shop (not the one in my village or in the town, one in a different village) has lost the plot.

I've not bought anything for ages in there.
    Today they had a pair of Julian MacDonald jeans. Brand new with price tag of (I think) £55.
    These had been marked 70% off in Debenhams to £16.50.
    The charity shop wanted £22.50.
    Is it me or would anyone else be put off by that?

They also have a boxed silver necklace, Cleopatra style, priced at £80.
    I've been watching these on ebay for quite a while and for the weight that is a silly expensive price.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,577 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Sounds dear to me. The trade is buying scrap sterling silver from the public at 28p/ gramme now and selling it to the recyclers at about 35p/ gramme. It they sell it on as pieces to the public, they typically weigh & price at 50p/ gramme. Anything much above that, unless there is exceptional artistic merit, is ridiculous.

And yes, I would have been put-off by that garment, the most I have ever spent on one garment at a chazzer was £12 for a very nice Planet long line silky suit jacket which is a classic and goes anywhere and everywhere.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Dec 17, 8:01 AM
    • 18,545 Posts
    • 47,742 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thanks, GreyQueen, it's nice to know that I've not turned into Scrooge.

The only other charity shop in the village has closed so I guess it's a captive audience although the prices have been higher than the other 2 hospice shops for a long time.

I've bought some weighty silver pieces from ebay and the necklace in the charity shop was very lightweight and more expensive than I've bought.
    It's been in their cabinet for a couple of weeks so I'll see if it's still there next time I go in.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Dec 17, 8:33 AM
    • 24,161 Posts
    • 50,791 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Perhaps not, but Poundland has no marketing illusions of “luxury”.

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 31,184 Thanks
    dolly84
    Eek! I will stay away from the KonMari thread today.

I went to the £1 charity shop and bought 11 new items today and then I bought 6 more items from another charity shop.

I was reading about how to match your clothes and create outfits on blogs yesterday and I got a little carried away.

1 scarf
    3 jumpers
    2 dresses
    1 skirt
    3 blouses
    1 jacket
    4 cardigans
    2 long sleeved tops

£31 spent in all. I probably won't need to buy any more clothes for 2018!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Probably won't need to but probably will

I have been like a child in a sweetshop today...DH is away so no shopping monitor when I came home!

I found:
    2 Phase 8 floaty tops, 1 white, 1 ivory
    Gerry Weber burgundy/pink/ivory/grey silk front top
    Next "Luxe" grey cotton/cashmere fine sweater
    Woolovers grey long line merino/cashmere cardi
    Seasalt reversible top in burgundy/white
    and a cream & grey Atmosphere coatigan.
    Total spend £25

Oh, and DH has bought me a gorgeous soft baby pink drapey cardi for Christmas...he's ever so clever seeing as he is 180 miles away!
    Originally posted by Floss

Well done you.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 31,184 Thanks
    dolly84
    Floss & Wednesday 2000 - some fab bargains there.

Well, I am convinced my local hospice shop (not the one in my village or in the town, one in a different village) has lost the plot.

I've not bought anything for ages in there.
    Today they had a pair of Julian MacDonald jeans. Brand new with price tag of (I think) £55.

They also have a boxed silver necklace, Cleopatra style, priced at £80.
    I've been watching these on ebay for quite a while and for the weight that is a silly expensive price.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I agree with you.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Dec 17, 9:21 AM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    That is quite cheeky of them!

Probably won't need to but probably will
    Originally posted by dolly84
    Yes, I probably will.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 6th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 12,419 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    B&H update: was in TK Maxx yesterday, which was well stocked with B&H gift sets, no doubt many eventually destined for chazzers.

It's often worth a rummage in TKM for imported hand creams; the Australian and NZ ones seem to be good for sensitive skin.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 6th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 8,124 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Perhaps not, but Poundland has no marketing illusions of “luxury”.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    No, perhaps they should go upmarket and rebrand themselves Pound & Land.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,577 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    No, perhaps they should go upmarket and rebrand themselves Pound & Land.
    Nah, when they go upmarket, they'll be rebranded as Pownd & Lland, the second 'L' being silent, you see. Really posh names look nothing like they're spelt, sez a woman who was in her twenties before she connected Grov'nor's pronounciation with Gros-ven-or's spelling.

Shamefully, I've been so busy running errands & stuff that I haven't even been in a chazzer for a week, never mind bought anything. This must stop, I am falling behind youse lot in bargainaciousness and am ashamed, I tell you, ashamed.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Miró
    • By Miró 6th Dec 17, 9:14 PM
    • 5,512 Posts
    • 23,141 Thanks
    Miró
    Forgive me chazza chums for I have sinned

[Whispers] Today In a chazza in Otley I saw a new, huge, B & H 3 wick candle in Sweet Mandarin 'flavour'. It was priced at 75p. I quickly had a squiz on t'internet and saw that they normally sell for around £17 I bought it.....oh the shame!

It's often worth a rummage in TKM for imported hand creams; the Australian and NZ ones seem to be good for sensitive skin.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    I'm a bit hesitant buying toiletries and cosmetics In TkMaxx as sometimes you never know if they have been opened and mucked about with Also, I would never buy anything food related since a few weeks ago I was looking at a Panettone when a fly crawled out of the box....yuk!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 6th Dec 17, 9:40 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,663 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Dogs Trust in between Debenhams and John Lewis in the next town up from me had a Joules sweatshirt/ jumper dress thingy for £20.... Think I laughed out loud. They're £40 brand new.

On a better note, got a gorgeous tiny Next party dress for bump for £1.50 in Sue Ryder. Would have been £15-18 originally. Already considering it for her naming blessing.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,577 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Bump!

Have redeemed myself as a bargainista with a pair of Olsen Europe jeans. this model: http://www.olsen.co.uk/Basics/Bottoms/Power-Stretch-Jeans-Mona-Slim-Dark-Ink.html

Off their website, £89.00, off the chazzer rail£2.99. Perfect fit, now laundered and drying on the airer. Winning!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

8,003Users online

Martin's Twitter