Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 360
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,339 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I actually know of people who throw perfectly good clean expensive clothes in the black bin !!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it when she said she done such a thing. That is more than wasteful, its sinful!
    Originally posted by sweetpea26
    I worked with a woman who used to shop loads and she told me she had thrown away 6 black sacks of clothes, all like new and many designer names. I said about donating them to a charity shop and she said she couldn't be bothered. Her household had three cars too so it wasn't as if she couldn't get the clothes to the shop!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 3rd Dec 17, 12:22 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    I worked with a woman who used to shop loads and she told me she had thrown away 6 black sacks of clothes, all like new and many designer names. I said about donating them to a charity shop and she said she couldn't be bothered. Her household had three cars too so it wasn't as if she couldn't get the clothes to the shop!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Wednesday isn't that ridiculous.!

The old saying
    "The longer I live the harder it is to understand people" !!!!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 3rd Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 7,868 Posts
    • 26,697 Thanks
    Primrose
    You wonder, don’t you, how such people would manage to survive if they fell on really hard times and had to choose between heating their homes or eating, even at a basic level.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,339 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The woman I mentioned did come from a hard childhood as we talked about our past. I think she bought lots of new stuff to prove she now could afford it now as an adult, if you know what I mean.

It's just a shame that she had to be so wasteful!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 18,548 Posts
    • 47,764 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Awww that is sooo nice! A double 'buzz' item - a bargain, presumably, and a thoughtful gift from your sister
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Yes, it would have been a bargain and I even remember she was so pleased when she gave it to me as she knew I'd love it.
    And it's lovely to be able to share these finds here with people who 'get it' and also to hear about other people's finds.
    Following on from this, there's a few bargains that have been posted that I think 'ooooh, I wish I'd found that'.

One I remember was a pure silk peacock design scarf.
    Whoever bought that, if you ever get tired of it, I'm here for you.

Shockingly wasteful to throw away perfectly decent clothes.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 3rd Dec 17, 1:34 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 28,803 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i got a lovely monsoon skirt pink/purple in chunks if that makes sense love monsoon also got a pack of 3 pairs of tights in a box for a quid im going to look for more tights as seems a real bargain
    on the brink...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 3rd Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,603 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Gosh, I am so impressed! Wish I was so organised.
    It's embarrasingly easy; I just choose a diary with a page per month for income and expenditures and enter the income on one side and the expenditures on the other. At month's end, I divide the expenditures into categories and add them into a spreadsheet. I also have a clothing inventory as a Word doc, things get added and subtracted and the balance moves up and down. Currently my entire wardrobe inc footwear, bags and accessories cost me £1,353.49. Most of the items were very cheap (well under £5) but there a few bigger ticket items dragging up the total.

I would have thought this was a given but reading the other posts it would seem not everyone sees what is obvious to us. I like that I am not creating a demand for a new product and using what already exists as reducing, re-using and recyling are very important to me.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I love this ethos. I figure that the raw materials and energy which are already embodied in existing clothes ought to be used before new clothes are created, and am doing my share of re-purposing. I particularly like patronising the Everything 50p whose purpose it a last outing before ragging for things which have gone around a region indy chazzer chain. I have had many superb purchases from there and it has greatly enhanced my quality of life.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Mirů
    • By Mirů 3rd Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 23,147 Thanks
    Mirů
    It's embarrasingly easy; I just choose a diary with a page per month for income and expenditures and enter the income on one side and the expenditures on the other. At month's end, I divide the expenditures into categories and add them into a spreadsheet. I also have a clothing inventory as a Word doc, things get added and subtracted and the balance moves up and down. Currently my entire wardrobe inc footwear, bags and accessories cost me £1,353.49. Most of the items were very cheap (well under £5) but there a few bigger ticket items dragging up the total.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen

Even more impressed now!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 7,586 Posts
    • 8,124 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I counted 7 B&H sets in 1 charity shop today. Almost as much fun spotting them as hunting for bargains!
    Originally posted by Iloveteasets
    So did I yesterday! They're coming out for Christmas (at least in Sense, which is probably spending more in lecky on their shop's christmas lights than they get in sales).

One was a Men's Gift Set with sports socks so can I have an extra rarity point please?

Only 1 B&H in the Heart shop though. I nearly rebuked the till volunteer for letting the side down.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 3rd Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,432 Thanks
    silvasava
    Miro - two of the staples of my wardrobe are CS finds. A beautiful dark amethyst silk jacket ( Monsoon) and a slim black knee length evening skirt (Frank Usher) I've had them at least 10 years and as far as I can remember paid less than £5for the two!
    TBH I don't particularly look for clothes in CS now as I have plenty and since I retired don't need quite so many!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 3rd Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 5,513 Posts
    • 23,147 Thanks
    Mirů
    Miro - two of the staples of my wardrobe are CS finds. A beautiful dark amethyst silk jacket ( Monsoon) and a slim black knee length evening skirt (Frank Usher) I've had them at least 10 years and as far as I can remember paid less than £5for the two!
    TBH I don't particularly look for clothes in CS now as I have plenty and since I retired don't need quite so many!
    Originally posted by silvasava

Awww... I bet you look stunning in your ensemble...my two favourite colours and two of my favourite 'makes'. I too am retired but go out for a pawsh dinner once a week so get a chance to dress up then. Otherwise its summit warm and serviceable. Currently esconsed in BNWT M & S thermal long johns +vesty top, 75p each, M & S purple trousers, 50p, black cashmere jumper, 75p, purple Craghoppers fleece jacket, £1.50, fake UGG boots, BNWT, £1.00 and purple gloves with those techy fingertips wot mean you can surf, gifted. Not that I am mean with heat....much!!

Then my 'Star Buy'
    In the weird 20p shop I found a very grubby looking, large, heavy, square, squat candle holder. Close inspection revealed a sticker that indicated it was Bohemia Crystal from the Czech Republic. It's sort of Art Deco stylee, 4 ins high and 4 ins across and is in a sort of stepped pattern rather like a pagoda. The bit where you put the candle is designed so it will take anything from a taper type of candle to a huge pillar candle and I've just realised that you can turn it upside down and use the other end as a a dish, (olives, nuts?). I've given it a careful wash with washing up liquid and it has come up a treat....dead glittery, and it doesn't have any chips or cracks. I am so thrilled with it!
    Bliddy Nora....I had to pay 2 squids for a candle to fit the blooming' thing today. Couldn't wait for one to turn up in a chazza....which it no double will in time!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 3rd Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,432 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh Miro - from your posts I assumed you were around your 40's! As they say - on the internet no one knows you're a cat lol!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 4th Dec 17, 2:06 AM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    I found a fab cd radio player for £4 which was great as my other one had recently broken, n also a quirky little purse for £3
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 4th Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 31,215 Thanks
    dolly84
    Good morning

I had the day to myself yesterday due to husband and big 'kids' away for the day. I was very fortunate to find some great items in my local town.

An ALEXON camel coat ! £5 like new and gorgeous
    Pair of Marks Spencer Black Jeans new with tags £3.50
    6 Christmas placemats perfect condition £2 (Deers)
    11 items Kids coats tops (GAP NEXT ETC) 50P Each
    1 good read 50p

2 soft stuffed Santa and Snowman for my friend 50p each
    1 pair of brand new loose top socks with tags ideal for an elderly relative who find socks too tight 50p (had a £4 label.)

total of £18

I had allowed myself a budget of £20 which is so much more than I normally do. I try not spend more than £5 on a hunt

I had a further £2 left so called at a local independent little charity shop where I found 2 Lindy Bowman Traditional Christmas Gift boxes £1...checked these out they can be quite expensive. Will keep these as decorations for my dining room.
    A bottle of Paris Perfume !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! £1

I dont buy perfume just body spray but am delighted to have found this ... the last few weeks I have left about 6 bags of donations to this little shop and I could spot some of my items on the shelves

I am really pleased with myself and have donated a hard earned £20 to these small independent little shops that help so many local people. I was delighted to find the 6 placemats as my Christmas ones are starting to look shabby.
    An Alexon coat is a very good find, my Mum and sister used to always be talking about that brand when I was a child and my sister worked for Windsmoor and Planet.

Exactly Miro

I prefer to go to the small local run shops the first one that I purchased great clothing, feeds and clothes many people on a weekly basis. Its church linked with an excellent ethos. Many well off people clear their wardrobes out so the rest of us can benefit from items they do not want. I donate anything we dont need or use to the two little shops as I believe they do good work for needy people. There is so much waste in our society and people buying stuff they never even take the labels off !! This time of the year tough on those with very little. So much more push to buy buy buy stuff !!!!!!! sickening really.

Here Here.

Wonderful !!!! what a superb gift that has created many memories

I actually know of people who throw perfectly good clean expensive clothes in the black bin !!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it when she said she done such a thing. That is more than wasteful, its sinful!
    I know what you mean, I have a friend who told me that when her children get a mark on their school uniform she throws it in the bin and buys new, they were in primary school at the time and I told her that was the exact purpose of the uniform, to save spoiling other clothes. Same friend also told me that she had her thermostat set at 19 degrees at night and I said I don't know how you sleep to which she replied oh we have the windows open.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 4th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 31,215 Thanks
    dolly84
    silvasava - that outfit sounds very sophisticated.

Miro - you sound very snug.

I am wearing a pair of Next tall skinny jeans £3.99 ish and a conflower blue cable knit pringle jumper which I got as part of a 3 for £1 deal at a carboot.

I haven't bought anything for a while now, I did look this weekend and saw in the BHF a Hudson & Rose (never come across this brand before) cable knit jumper dress, I had a quick look and it wasn't in amazing condition or anything and it was £7.99 - needless to say I didn't buy it.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 4th Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 12,426 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    On the subject of Star Buys, my bloke has a battered leather jacket bought for £10 approx 20 years ago that he's worn every winter since (his wardrobe policy is winter: 1 coat required, summer: no coat required, therefore total number of coats owned = 1). It gets complimentary comments for its 70s cop vibe; basically he looks like he can roll over a car bonnet shouting "you're nicked, son" at any moment. A young lad working in a cafe once admired it and we told him he should be searching chazzers for similar bargains, so hopefully we created a convert there.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 4th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,339 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm off to the charity shop tomorrow as I didn't get up early enough today to fit it in before my appointment!

I have been through my wardrobe again and found a few more things to donate as well.

It gets complimentary comments for its 70s cop vibe; basically he looks like he can roll over a car bonnet shouting "you're nicked, son" at any moment.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Dec 17, 10:53 AM
    • 24,178 Posts
    • 50,831 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I love this ethos. I figure that the raw materials and energy which are already embodied in existing clothes ought to be used before new clothes are created, and am doing my share of re-purposing.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    This is the exact argument I responded to my dad with: so much perfectly good stuff goes to waste because of consumerism. His view was again about over-consumption, ie that I don’t need the stuff I buy at all - and if I do (eg furniture for my new home) it should be brand new. This is where we fundamentally disagree - Gumtree has been my friend in such situations.

Whilst dropping off a load of stuff to the local CRUK yesterday, I noticed 2 Bayliss & Harding sets
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Dec 17, 12:46 PM
    • 4,091 Posts
    • 33,700 Thanks
    Floss
    ...Whilst dropping off a load of stuff to the local CRUK yesterday, I noticed 2 Bayliss & Harding sets
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I hope you didn't buy anything...!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 4th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    Re Bayliss n Harding sets , my DD has once again bought my Mum one ,despite my warnings of where it will end up
    FLOSS , I love the chazzers up your way , especially the Lytham ones ��
    Last edited by candygirl; 04-12-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,835Posts Today

7,179Users online

Martin's Twitter