Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 359
    • Floss
    • By Floss 2nd Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 33,848 Thanks
    Floss
    My view is that the people in need are helped by those who spend in the chazzers, which need the stock donated by those who have thought rather than just binned stuff into landfill.

So you ARE helping by donating to raise funds, by shopping to raise funds and by helping to reduce landfill.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 2nd Dec 17, 1:10 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 26,764 Thanks
    Primrose
    I’ve never really understood why people won,t buy from charity shops. I have relatives like that. They will happily accept something free which we are disposing of and yet the thought of acquiring somebody else’s used possessions appalls them.
    I have one particular acquaintance who has regularly admired items I’ve been wearing and the look on her face when I respond “oh thank you, it was only £3 from a charity shop”. has to be seen to be believed!
    My husband was very dubious at first until I bought him some fabulous bargains in shirts and now he’s a total convert. However I don,t think generally there are so many bargains for mens’ clothes. Most of them I know seem to wear their stuff until it’s literally falling off their backs in tatters!
    • maman
    • By maman 2nd Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 17,150 Posts
    • 102,546 Thanks
    maman
    Help me out here.

According to him, charity shops are there for people in need, not me. So I should not be buying from them. Iíve never thought of it like this before. Does he have a point?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Not a logical argument at all I'm afraid. Yes, you help the needy by donating but you're also helping the charity by buying the clothes or books or whatever.

I think there's a two fold misunderstanding too. One that there isn't enough to go around so you should leave all the goods for the needy. There's more than enough to go around and many things that the needy wouldn't buy plus there are other issues like recycling etc. to add into the equation. Second there's the idea that stuff in the CS is scruffy and dirty (but that's somehow OK for the needy?). Personally I do check if things are washable but then I mostly do that with new clothes anyway.
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 2nd Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    its funny, people's attitude towards them. I know several people who will buy from Fleabay but don't understand that it's just like the charity shop. It's all been owned by someone else.
    I think, keep that attitude and more bargains for all of us and more pennies in our pockets in the process
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £720.00.00/£1000 Baby Step 1
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 52,467 Thanks
    silvasava
    VfM - I wonder if your Dad's attitudes may stem from the time that second hand clothes used to come from a dealer who bought them when clearing the houses of the deceased? I remember there being second hand clothing shops that were quite seedy places when I was little. Nothing like the bright places that the charity shops are now ( or as big business!)
    Floss is right - those of us that can donate do and many of us are happy to purchase too as many of the donations are unworn or unwanted. Helps the environment, our purses and the charity - wins all round
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Dec 17, 5:47 PM
    • 18,570 Posts
    • 47,806 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Well, been in 12 charity shops and bought...... absolutely nothing.

Enjoyed the though.
    And will enjoy the takeaway (whatever it will be).
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 2nd Dec 17, 6:17 PM
    • 11,432 Posts
    • 219,702 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    A pal manages a Red X chazzer and they will GIVE things to those in need, should they ask for them.

I buy abiut 90% of my non-food shopping from charity shops. I know this because I keep (and have done for the past 19 years) personal accounts in the back of my diary. Alongside chazzer purchases are the letters 'cs' and it is a constant run of 'cs' interspersed with the odd thing like a bus fare or a (f)utility bill.

I shop there, and I also donate there, am registered for gift aid with three national chains who have shops nearby. No shortage of good places to give things away, imo.

My parents are in their mid-seventies and when their wartime-born generation were setting up home, there was nothing like the amount of manufactured goods around that there is now. Mum has remarked; there wasn't much secondhand stuff around and what there was, was absolute rubbish.

She's spoken yearningly of how much easier their lives as young parens would have been if a huge bootsale site, going since the 1980s, had been running near to their home in the 1960s-1970s.

So, it may be that some older people, who haven't enjoyed the wonders of charity shop shopping, think that they're just stationary jumble sales full of unsanitary tatt.

Mind you, I've met some extremely poshly-vowelled ladies in the scrummage at village jumblies and even walked out with lead crystal decanters at 20p each.

I guess it's a bit hyacinth bucket to care where your clothes were purchased (said by a woman who bought everything she's presently wearing secondhand - the knicks were in an unopened multipack of m & s).

Ooops, tell a lie, the socks were a cast-off pair of my mothers, everything but the knicks and the socks I bought at the Everything 50p Chazzer; next trews and next wool sweater and icebreaker merino wool crew top. I reckon full retail for what I'm wearing right now wouldn't be much change from £200, the icebreaker top sells at £80-£90 new.

Winning!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 2nd Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 10,002 Posts
    • 15,842 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    That is very true GreyQueen, our parents were of the "make do and mend" mindset, and literally kept things until they fell apart. I remember when I first met my now OH, 43 years ago, his parents' kitchen was equipped with chipped and cracked plates and mugs, even though they had plenty of money by then. So there wasn't much that could have been donated to charity while it was still useable.

I used to laugh with my mum as even in her very old age she would decide a petticoat or blouse that she'd had for decades was finally worn out, and would say "I'm going to give this away". When asked who might want it she would crease up with giggles and realise what she had said!

I am old enough to remember when charity shops were awful places, smelly and full of nothing but rubbish. And unwanted "A present from Blackpool" ash trays!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Dec 17, 12:25 AM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,908 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    VfM - I wonder if your Dad's attitudes may stem from the time that second hand clothes used to come from a dealer who bought them when clearing the houses of the deceased? I remember there being second hand clothing shops that were quite seedy places when I was little.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Same here. We never discussed this in my childhood, but my mum was never happy about me joining my best friend at charity shops. (Tbf, my first purchases as an 8 yo were pretty dreadful). He also has a big problem with YS in my fridge, although he does eat my goodies . I donít understand why he thinks itís shameful.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 3rd Dec 17, 7:34 AM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Mirů

I buy abiut 90% of my non-food shopping from charity shops. I know this because I keep (and have done for the past 19 years) personal accounts in the back of my diary. Alongside chazzer purchases are the letters 'cs' and it is a constant run of 'cs' interspersed with the odd thing like a bus fare or a (f)utility bill.

Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Gosh, I am so impressed! Wish I was so organised.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Dec 17, 8:55 AM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,908 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    In my haste to post yesterday, I forgot to mention my actual purchases . A small stainless steel key and letter stand for £1, and a perfume bottle similar to this one, but more ornate and in pinks and purple for just 50p (£6.69 from China on eBay).

And of course books (just 2 on this occasion).
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 03-12-2017 at 9:01 AM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 3rd Dec 17, 9:04 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 31,269 Thanks
    dolly84
    My view is that the people in need are helped by those who spend in the chazzers, which need the stock donated by those who have thought rather than just binned stuff into landfill.

So you ARE helping by donating to raise funds, by shopping to raise funds and by helping to reduce landfill.
    Originally posted by Floss
    I would have thought this was a given but reading the other posts it would seem not everyone sees what is obvious to us. I like that I am not creating a demand for a new product and using what already exists as reducing, re-using and recyling are very important to me.

My two children (14 & 11) both do most of their shopping in CS, they get much more for their money and they love the excitement of not knowing what they will find.

It is my DD's birthday today and she has got 3 preloved tops, a preloved Fjallraven backpack, an expensive bottle of perfume which she loves that I bought on ebay 3/4 full. She got other things new too but these were things she wanted and it means we get more for out budget. She is really happy with everything.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Dec 17, 9:31 AM
    • 18,570 Posts
    • 47,806 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I would have thought this was a given but reading the other posts it would seem not everyone sees what is obvious to us. I like that I am not creating a demand for a new product and using what already exists as reducing, re-using and recyling are very important to me.

My two children (14 & 11) both do most of their shopping in CS, they get much more for their money and they love the excitement of not knowing what they will find.

It is my DD's birthday today and she has got 3 preloved tops, a preloved Fjallraven backpack, an expensive bottle of perfume which she loves that I bought on ebay 3/4 full. She got other things new too but these were things she wanted and it means we get more for out budget. She is really happy with everything.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    And I bet they find stuff that's maybe not in shops on their high street - bought from a bigger store, worn once (or not at all) and donated. Well done those kids.

That's just one of the things I love about charity shopping, I can wear lovely things that I don't see anyone else wearing.
    I like to be individual - and a tad off-the-wall.
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 3rd Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    Good morning

I had the day to myself yesterday due to husband and big 'kids' away for the day. I was very fortunate to find some great items in my local town.

An ALEXON camel coat ! £5 like new and gorgeous
    Pair of Marks Spencer Black Jeans new with tags £3.50
    6 Christmas placemats perfect condition £2 (Deers)
    11 items Kids coats tops (GAP NEXT ETC) 50P Each
    1 good read 50p

2 soft stuffed Santa and Snowman for my friend 50p each
    1 pair of brand new loose top socks with tags ideal for an elderly relative who find socks too tight 50p (had a £4 label.)

total of £18

I had allowed myself a budget of £20 which is so much more than I normally do. I try not spend more than £5 on a hunt

I had a further £2 left so called at a local independent little charity shop where I found 2 Lindy Bowman Traditional Christmas Gift boxes £1...checked these out they can be quite expensive. Will keep these as decorations for my dining room.
    A bottle of Paris Perfume !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! £1

I dont buy perfume just body spray but am delighted to have found this ... the last few weeks I have left about 6 bags of donations to this little shop and I could spot some of my items on the shelves

I am really pleased with myself and have donated a hard earned £20 to these small independent little shops that help so many local people. I was delighted to find the 6 placemats as my Christmas ones are starting to look shabby.
    Last edited by sweetpea26; 03-12-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 3rd Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Mirů
    Finding this current discussion fascinating!

For me......whatever the pros and cons, the rights and wrongs, the ethics and sensibilities etc, absolutely nothing can beat the thrill, the buzz of finding a really stunning bargain in a charity shop for just a few pennies or pounds. Buying new from a high end shop or even just M & S, (which I could afford to do!), just doesn't come close. I have about a dozen items that I have found over the years that I still regard as real chazza 'star buys' and that still give me real pleasure to use/wear knowing their provenance. And it's lovely to be able to share these finds here with people who 'get it' and also to hear about other people's finds.
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 3rd Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    Exactly Miro

I prefer to go to the small local run shops the first one that I purchased great clothing, feeds and clothes many people on a weekly basis. Its church linked with an excellent ethos. Many well off people clear their wardrobes out so the rest of us can benefit from items they do not want. I donate anything we dont need or use to the two little shops as I believe they do good work for needy people. There is so much waste in our society and people buying stuff they never even take the labels off !! This time of the year tough on those with very little. So much more push to buy buy buy stuff !!!!!!! sickening really.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    • 18,570 Posts
    • 47,806 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Finding this current discussion fascinating!

For me......whatever the pros and cons, the rights and wrongs, the ethics and sensibilities etc, absolutely nothing can beat the thrill, the buzz of finding a really stunning bargain in a charity shop for just a few pennies or pounds. Buying new from a high end shop or even just M & S, (which I could afford to do!), just doesn't come close. I have about a dozen items that I have found over the years that I still regard as real chazza 'star buys' and that still give me real pleasure to use/wear knowing their provenance. And it's lovely to be able to share these finds here with people who 'get it' and also to hear about other people's finds.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    My lovely sister (who buys me the most amazing gifts) bought me a wonderful Karen Millen skirt from a charity shop one Christmas - at least 15 years ago. She had it professionally dry-cleaned (bless her) although she also wears charity shop stuff.
    Over the years, it's fitted me, been too tight, been too loose and currently fits me again.
    It's one item that I'll never, ever get rid of.
    I'll wear it on Christmas Day when we go to see her (it's a gorgeous deep maroony-red) and she'll recognise it instantly and be so pleased.
    • sweetpea26
    • By sweetpea26 3rd Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 700 Posts
    • 4,629 Thanks
    sweetpea26
    My lovely sister (who buys me the most amazing gifts) bought me a wonderful Karen Millen skirt from a charity shop one Christmas - at least 15 years ago. She had it professionally dry-cleaned (bless her) although she also wears charity shop stuff.
    Over the years, it's fitted me, been too tight, been too loose and currently fits me again.
    I'll wear it on Christmas Day when we go to see her (it's a gorgeous deep maroony-red) and she'll recognise it instantly and be so pleased.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Wonderful !!!! what a superb gift that has created many memories

I actually know of people who throw perfectly good clean expensive clothes in the black bin !!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it when she said she done such a thing. That is more than wasteful, its sinful!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 3rd Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 26,764 Thanks
    Primrose
    I have items bought in charity shops years ago which are still my favourites to wear. When I put them on I still wonder occasionally about their provenance and who donated them. When I buy something new and unworn which still has a shop price tag on it I wonder why? Was it bought in a moment of recklessness and then not liked once it was home or was trying to lose weight to squeeze into it but never managed it, or was it bought, saved for a special occasion and the owner never got round to wearing it or more sadly, died before they had a chance to wear it? Every item tells a story and it would be nice sometimes to know its history.

I think my most recent charity shop bargains have been the quilted body warmers. I now have three of them in different colours and they're really making a difference to my comfort indoors now the cold weather is here. They keep me nice and warm yet leave my arms free from bulky clutters of multiple clothing layers when I have tasks to do. I previously always thought my arms would feel cold without an additional second or third layer of clothing but often that hasn't been the case.
    Last edited by Primrose; 03-12-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 3rd Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Mirů

Awww that is sooo nice! A double 'buzz' item - a bargain, presumably, and a thoughtful gift from your sister

Ahem, I have several of those sort of items too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,140Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter