Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 358
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 28th Nov 17, 10:11 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I counted 7 B&H sets in 1 charity shop today. Almost as much fun spotting them as hunting for bargains!
    Originally posted by Iloveteasets

i'm guessing you all mean Bayliss & Harding sets... not Benson and Hedges as I keep thinking
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • Miró
    • By Miró 28th Nov 17, 10:23 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Miró
    From my favourite Air Ambulance:
    a brand new with tags (BNWT - £25.00) Wallis cardigan in a light purple colour. Slightly longer than I usually wear at just below waist level but with 3/4 sleeves and nice mock pockets at the front, it will do the business. Eh, Miro?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I'm looking for a smart black shorty cardi at the mo....seen squillions of them in the past but now cos I want one all I can see are bobbly, raggedy ones with iron marks

If it rains tomorrow, we know who is to blame
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Oooops....I was quite hoping for a light shower in order to unfurl my new acquisition!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 29th Nov 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 7,507 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I noticed that they have B&H hand wash in an office building I was in the other day. They had it in the loo in the pub I went to a few weeks back.

I'm going to keep noticing it now!

My water bottle leaked all over me on the train the other day and the water drenched some notes I had in my bag. I went into a charity shop that was close to some student accommodation and they luckily had a new A4 notebook in there for 50p.

I bought a little teddy bear for my dog for 50p too, I do spoil her!

I went into my local Age UK, the book shelves were pretty bare, but I picked up The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters in paperback for 50p.
    Originally posted by GreenBitterfly
    I saw that book the other day, but realised I had read it before.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 29th Nov 17, 1:24 PM
    • 7,874 Posts
    • 26,766 Thanks
    Primrose
    A nice reversible padded & fleece blue body warmer for £5 which I hope will soon save me more than its cost in central heating charges when the indoor temperature starts to drop in mid winter afternoons.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 29th Nov 17, 4:10 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Miró
    Had a lovely tripette to the Otley chazzas this afternoon and found some smashing bargains. First of all, in the 99p shop I got a Monsoon, heavy, crinkly georgette, long tunic top with 3/4 sleeves and teeny brass bobble buttons down the front. Aztec stylee pattern & colours of black and tan. Then on their 'good' rail where things are priced a bit higher I found a Berketex jersey dress, knotted twisty bodice stylee, 3/4 sleeves and just below knee length, abstract striped pattern in navy, grey and cream will be perfect with my navy knee boots. Price £3.99. Not exactly the height of fashion but these jersey dresses are so comfy to wear.

Then my 'Star Buy'
    In the weird 20p shop I found a very grubby looking, large, heavy, square, squat candle holder. Close inspection revealed a sticker that indicated it was Bohemia Crystal from the Czech Republic. It's sort of Art Deco stylee, 4 ins high and 4 ins across and is in a sort of stepped pattern rather like a pagoda. The bit where you put the candle is designed so it will take anything from a taper type of candle to a huge pillar candle and I've just realised that you can turn it upside down and use the other end as a a dish, (olives, nuts?). I've given it a careful wash with washing up liquid and it has come up a treat....dead glittery, and it doesn't have any chips or cracks. I am so thrilled with it! The woman in the shop took such pains to wrap it well in newspaper for me you would have thought it cost a fortune rather than 20p. Mind you, I did grumble a bit to myself as I continued my chazza perambulations lugging this heavy lump of crystal about with me all afternoon.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Nov 17, 9:26 PM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,915 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    A nice reversible padded & fleece blue body warmer for £5 which I hope will soon save me more than its cost in central heating charges when the indoor temperature starts to drop in mid winter afternoons.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I bought one from Denim & Co (for all of £1 via the chazzer ) about a month ago and it is keeping me toasty warm now. It’s less than 3°C outside and the thermostat is set at 15°C, down from 21
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 29-11-2017 at 9:28 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 29th Nov 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Popped into a ValueVillage on the other side of my city today in hopes of finding a Christmas cake plate.

Did indeed find one and a cup and saucer souvenir of the Yukon! Complete with Moose, Wolf and Mountie. I love finding souvenir tea cups and saucers and laugh that they are all from England and bone china. I'm trying to find all of the provinces but seem to have better luck with finding individual cities.

Oh and I am the bestest Mother ever this week. Number two moved out and wanted some pictures for his walls, well I wasn't having blank spots and went hunting. Came home with the medieval lady knighting her knight and the one he really wanted. It's a Victorian era soldier (very Prussian looking) sitting on a sofa with his lady, a brunette with gold bangles and a blue gown. When he was little he thought this was his Dad and me.

Total cost for the two pictures under $40 and they are good sizes.
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 30th Nov 17, 5:24 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    M&S black and purple thin jumper and a blue La Redoute jumper dress with long sleeves both £1 each in local hospice shop.

Also £1 each for a Xmas jumper for DS that can potentially be reused for DD in future and an Xmas dress for her for next Xmas when she'll be about 8-9 months old.

Two B&H sets spotted.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 30th Nov 17, 9:25 PM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,915 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Two B&H sets spotted.
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    I think unwanted B&H deserves a thread of its own

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Miró
    • By Miró 1st Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Miró
    I think unwanted B&H deserves a thread of its own
    Forgot to mention, the other day I saw a raffle prize in one of the charity shops.....it consisted of a large wicker picnic stylee basket that someone had filled with B & H products. It looked like several gifty boxes had been broken down and the items had been lovingly reassembled in the basket - all nestled in gold tissue paper with tinsel & baubles and wrapped in cellophane with a big ribbon bow.. The notice alerting people to the raffle said the gift basket was worth over £100 and it was the first prize!! Ahem..... I managed to resist the impulse to buy a ticket and had a little silent giggle to myself.....
    • Floss
    • By Floss 1st Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 33,852 Thanks
    Floss
    My local TK MAXX have tons of new shiny b&h gift sets...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Dec 17, 2:20 PM
    • 18,571 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    Pollycat
    You can tell who's focused on the bargains (or maybe blinkered ) and who's 'wasting' time looking for B&H gift sets.

I've been in 5 charity shops this morning and not noticed a single B&H 'bargain'.

I have however bought a Nicci French 'Waiting for Wednesday' and a hardback 'A Cat called Alfie'.
    75p each from local hospice shop.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 1st Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 28,838 Thanks
    tessie bear
    cant imagine thinking it was my lucky day if i won b and h xx

got a lovely phase 8 top yesterday white with black swirls i am developing a liking for phase 8
    on the brink...
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 1st Dec 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 7,070 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Worcester today: A lovely fine cotton M&S top, looks new £2.00; 2 books, one Tim Weaver and one "Five Go to Brexit Island" (this is in good enough condition to be gifted) 50p each. Lots of B&H in just about every charity shop I went in (and I went in a few)! Would have done more but the Worcester Christmas Fayre (why always spelled with a "y")? was on and everywhere was very busy.
    Normal people worry me.
    • evuka
    • By evuka 1st Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    evuka
    Oh-ho-ho-ho! What better place to tell the world about my recent finds if not here?!

(But first, what's the problem with B&H???)

I've shared this with a co-worker but I reckon he can't appreciate the greatness of my bargain... (he doesn't look like he ever bought anything second-handed)

Since February I was longing for a toaster. A cream toaster that would suit my kitchen. I was eyeing up one in tesco... since then I moved and started looking for one in a BHF but even a used toaster was over £20 and they weren't even cream!

I almost gave up when I ended up in the archades in Rutherglen after Black Friday. There, somehow, I really don't know how I wandered in to a Shelter's CS And there...! There sit, on the shelf, my cream coloured lovely toaster with some nice pastel blue polka dots on its front that just happen to match my kitchen accessories so much! It was THE toaster!

For a whopping {drumroll please} £5!!!

And when I took it to the till to pay, I got a discount and paid only 3.75

Also, this Christmas I have to buy a new fake-tree and all decorations (long story) and I bought most of the baubles and other tree decors from CSs.
    SwagBucks
    Make £10 a day challenge
    Sell 100 items 7/100
    GC:
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    NSD:
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Dec 17, 9:59 PM
    • 17,155 Posts
    • 102,565 Thanks
    maman
    Delighted with my CS buys last weekend . They'll see me through Christmas and beyond. Phase Eight black lace dress and stripey taffeta evening skirt. I paid £12 for the pair, probably cost 10 times that new. I've worn the skirt twice already and plan to wear the dress for at least 2 Christmas events. So I'm doing really well on cost per wear already.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 2nd Dec 17, 7:28 AM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 33,852 Thanks
    Floss
    Maman they would probably each be £120ish...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Dec 17, 9:54 AM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,915 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    A fundamental difference in perspective
    Help me out here. Yesterday I had a very strange conversation with my dad when I went to see him. We were chatting and then out of nowhere he said “Promise me one thing. Promise me you’ll never go near a charity shop, unless it’s to donate something”. :shock:

According to him, charity shops sell “other people’s spittle”, and they are there for people in need, not me. So I should not be buying from them. I’ve never thought of it like this before. Does he have a point?

I told him that although I heard him, there was no way on this planet I could comply with this request. What I didn’t tell him was that I’d nipped into a couple of local chazzers before I’d seen him and bought 3 books

• Miró
    • By Miró 2nd Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Miró
    Help me out here. Yesterday I had a very strange conversation with my dad when I went to see him. We were chatting and then out of nowhere he said “Promise me one thing. Promise me you’ll never go near a charity shop, unless it’s to donate something”. :shock:

According to him, charity shops sell “other people’s spittle”, and they are there for people in need, not me. So I should not be buying from them. I’ve never thought of it like this before. Does he have a point?

I told him that although I heard him, there was no way on this planet I could comply with this request. What I didn’t tell him was that I’d nipped into a couple of local chazzers before I’d seen him and bought 3 books
    Hi VfM4meplse

I've come across this sort of attitude several times. One friend will never buy a book from a charity shop cos she is worried that it will be covered in germs as someone may have licked their fingers when turning pages, (admittedly a pet hate of mine!). However she will happily borrow a book from the library!! Go figure?? Another friend would never buy from a hospice charity shop as she says she wouldn't want to wear a dead person's clothes. I'm just careful who I tell about my charity shop purchases now....if I think they are going to be sniffy about it then they don't need to know. I just, metaphorically, get on my high horse and think I'm doing my little bit for the good of the planet by saving stuff from landfill
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 18,571 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    Pollycat

But would those 'people in need' pay £12 for maman"s fab Phase Eight bargains?
    Doubtful.
    So charity shops would have a load of great quality clothes but no buyers.
    Who suffers?
    The people in need helped by the various charities.

Off to the city today for charity shopping and a few different pubs.
    Want black at least bum-length tops (to wear with aforementioned leggings/jeggings/treggings), short and long sleeved.

Will probably come home with a sleeveless tropical summer dress.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,028Posts Today

4,382Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin