Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 340
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Oct 17, 11:16 PM
    • 18,571 Posts
    • 47,816 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Ooo interesting - thanks Pollycat! I do like researching the various brands I come across with my vintage finds, although sometimes I don't get very far.
    Originally posted by cuppacoffee
    Try this link:
    http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/1960s-ownbrands.htm
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Oct 17, 11:18 PM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,916 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Found myself on a high street I haven’t been on for years. I bought eight books for £4.98, and 4 rectangular velvet cushions for £4.99, for my parents’ sofa.

Any attempts at not chaz-ing are a complete failure. But I have gained some amazing books in the last 3 weeks
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 9th Oct 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Went to a surprisingly sensible Oxfam (Bognor Regis) at the weekend; they just had a blackboard up with "all tops £1.99, all trousers £1.99, all scarves 99p" etc. I had a rummage and found a olive green Boden wrap-style top suitable for work.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I went to one of my £1 charity shops today. I got three teddies for my dog and two tops and a shirt.

The shirt was a dark blue, striped Hugo Boss one that I will probably wear over a white vest top. I don't think you can tell it's for men.

I went into another charity shop and bought a dark pink M&S jumper for £4.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Oct 17, 4:55 PM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,916 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Another 2 books today! One on scientific boundaries, the other is a true story of an abandoned Chinese baby.

And a Principles cotton blouse suitable for work during the the height of summer, for £2.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 9th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    You certainly have an eclectic taste in books VfM! Do you keep them all once you've read them?

Good day in Ormskirk. Best find was a pair of dark brown, velcro fastening shoes for OH, for £5. Only put out today, going by the price label. He much prefers velcro shoes to lace-ups, and they are hard to come by - the last two pairs he bought were from an upmarket shop and were £79! He ruins shoes so a cheap pair is a great find.

Pair of anonymous stone coloured straight leg denims for me for £1. M&S Collection really pretty viscose tunic length top for 99p. Warm fleecy light-weight navy scarf £1. Navy lightweight throw-over-your-shoulders style (no fastenings) M&S cardy £1.50.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 9th Oct 17, 6:25 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    As bump for no.2 has started to begin growing I've established that I need to find more long body, long sleeved tops or thin jumpers.

Will keep my eyes out for some next time I go around our shops. Haven't really bothered for a while.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Mirů
    I coughed my way around a couple of charity shops today on my first outing since the lurgy struck. In the big Sue Ryder shop I spotted a pair of B/N Jasper Conran, black, slim fitting trousers priced at £8, (original price tag attached for £50). As I haven't bought anything at all recently I was tempted and after trying them on and finding them a perfect fit I splurged! Then about an hour later I was inspecting the 'reduced to £1' rail in the RSPCA shop and came across another pair of black slim fit trousers this time by M & S. Oh well, one can never have enough black trousers I guess.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • cuppacoffee
    • By cuppacoffee 9th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    cuppacoffee
    Try this link:
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Fab resource - thanks for sharing
    • cuppacoffee
    • By cuppacoffee 9th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    cuppacoffee
    Fab resource - thanks for sharing
    Originally posted by cuppacoffee
    Wouldn't let me reply with the link in there as I'm a newbie, hence the blank space
    • Doody
    • By Doody 9th Oct 17, 11:33 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    Doody
    Went to a surprisingly sensible Oxfam (Bognor Regis) at the weekend; they just had a blackboard up with "all tops £1.99, all trousers £1.99, all scarves 99p" etc. I had a rummage and found a olive green Boden wrap-style top suitable for work.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    I know that one! Bognor has some excellent CSs, and that is one of the best Oxfam shops ever. Except for the way they sort everything by colour with no size indications. you do need to rummage as you said. The Boden top sounds nice, well done!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Oct 17, 12:17 AM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,916 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    As bump for no.2 has started to begin growing
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    Congratulations! Am guessing an early spring baby? How exciting!

You certainly have an eclectic taste in books VfM! Do you keep them all once you've read them?
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    I do! Iíve learnt my lesson: I donít lend any more as I never get them back. If I think someone might benefit from a book, I wait to find another copy and then give it to them. I think my choice has a common theme: I always try to select books I can learn from, or if fiction it has to be thought-provoking.

• Ballymackeonan
    • By Ballymackeonan 10th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    Ballymackeonan
    I had half an hour to fill in while waiting for a new strap to be put on a watch yesterday, so of course had a quick look round the charity shops. Two good finds - a DVD of a film I've been looking for plus a really good quality cashmere cardi in a gorgeous pale lilac!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 10th Oct 17, 9:37 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 31,276 Thanks
    dolly84
    Called into two very local CS yesterday after I'd been to the post office and had 10 minutes spare before the school run, obviously I bought something

Papaya oatmeal cable knit jumper with elbow patches £1.99 - this is getting passed onto someone else though.

Per Una green and multi flecked jumper in a mix of different knits - I got this two sizes bigger than I am and it is roomy but not huge, I hate tight chunky knits it looks frumpy to me £1.99

F&F grey military style short coat £1 - this is really lovely, thick herringbone fabric and fully lined, just needed a wash.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 40,053 Thanks
    Frith
    St Richards Hospice shop, Worcs (centre)

M man’s motorbike jacket - got son to walk down and meet me from college and it’s a perfect fit! £30

FatFace 2 colour (blues) jumper for me £6

A good haul!
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 10th Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 23,181 Thanks
    Mirů
    So pleased with my little find in one of the charity shops in Otley today. A racing green leather, brand new iPhone case for £2.....just in time as my old case is falling to bits!!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 10th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Quite a deperature from my normal purchases today. A large cut glass lidded bonbon jar for £4. It just shouted xmas to me as imagined it full of homemade chocolates surrounded by candles (in reality candles would melt the chocolate) but it's really lovely
    • NorfolkandGood
    • By NorfolkandGood 11th Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    NorfolkandGood
    Hi all, charity shop bargains from the last week.
    Hospice shop - 2 crochet hooks 25p each.
    Reuse shop at the tip- brand new in packaging 4metres of gutter caterpillar brushes £2. Great at stopping the leaves blocking your down pipes( we have a bad and costly previous experience of this).
    Very good condition wooden boxed edition of monopoly. Everything there with metal counters£2. Very happy! Another pressie for hubby.
    Norfolk and good
    • tanyalasagne
    • By tanyalasagne 11th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    tanyalasagne
    Good Haul
    First time of posting in here but I found 3 fabulous items on Saturday worthy of mentioning.

Henry Holland jumper with a stitched Fox motif, quirky and in excellent condition £3.00

Seasalt beautiful blouse, in Navy with cream spot design in unworn condition and perfect and smart for work £3.00

Jersey dress - Brand unknown (as cut out label) but lovely quality, so thinking Fat Face or similar in a Burgundy with a tree pattern, in unworn condition. £4.00

all from the Red Cross shop in local market town. Very happy girl here.
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 11th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Congratulations! Am guessing an early spring baby? How exciting!

I do! Iíve learnt my lesson: I donít lend any more as I never get them back. If I think someone might benefit from a book, I wait to find another copy and then give it to them. I think my choice has a common theme: I always try to select books I can learn from, or if fiction it has to be thought-provoking.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Thank you, yes we're due mid April so even if we have another boy, some of the seasonal clothing we have will be wrong size as DS is a September baby!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin