Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 339
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I wish you luck with it. I bought it a couple of years ago (I think), thought it was dire and gave up after about 20 pages.
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    Oh no! I will at least give it a go.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 23,565 Posts
    • 49,315 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The book I bought was this one.Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

It didn't get very positive reviews.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I wish you luck with it. I bought it a couple of years ago (I think), thought it was dire and gave up after about 20 pages.
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    I read it a while ago and was unimpressed. Ditto "An Unequal Marriage", which was no more than a betrayal of Elizabeth's feistiness.

PD James is an author in her own right, there's no need to discredit the late great Jane Austen in the process!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 31,693 Thanks
    Floss
    Bless me thread-folk, for I have sinned...

Have been out with my bezzie to Knutsford and can't list what I bought because I had to leave then in the car away from DH's eyes

Promise to list soon!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 23,565 Posts
    • 49,315 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

Have been out with my bezzie to Knutsford and can't list what I bought because I had to leave then in the car away from DH's eyes

Promise to list soon!
    Originally posted by Floss
    Knutsford is an amazing place! Can't wait to hear about your finds

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 18,030 Posts
    • 45,954 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Yesterday I bought (yet another) Mantaray long sleeved shirt for OH.
    Really nice muted shades of mustard, brown, cream and grey stripes - sounds awful but is actually very smart.
    I'm weeding out his old shirts and replacing them with better ones.

A Laura Ashley knee-length 3/4 sleeved dress in charcoal grey jersey with fuchsia, purple and pale grey leaf print.
    Plan to wear with fuchsia opaque tights and my purple DMs.

£3.00 each from Arthritis Concern,
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 31,693 Thanks
    Floss

Promise to list soon!
    OK, have managed to sneak in my bargains!

Laura Ashley navy jersey tunic dress with pockets - Age Concern, £4
    Phase Eight grey/white panelled floaty top - Age Concern, £3
    M&S Autograph "orchid" (purply-pink) cashmere cardi - Red Cross, £6
    M&S Autograph mens pinky-grey cashmere jumper - £6
    Barbour lilac lambswool cable jumper - Red Cross, £3
    Wrap London linen top - Red Cross, £3
    Ted Baker pale grey silk-back drapey cardigan - Cancer Research, £6 (for Christmas day)
    Pumpkin Patch purple & lilac cotton dress for niece, Cancer Research, £3
    BNWT John Lewis cornflower blue cashmere cable scarf & beanie - Barnardos, £10 for both (being kept for Christmas for DH)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 18,030 Posts
    • 45,954 Thanks
    Pollycat
    OK, have managed to sneak in my bargains!

Laura Ashley navy jersey tunic dress with pockets - Age Concern, £4
    Phase Eight grey/white panelled floaty top - Age Concern, £3
    M&S Autograph "orchid" (purply-pink) cashmere cardi - Red Cross, £6
    M&S Autograph mens pinky-grey cashmere jumper - £6
    Barbour lilac lambswool cable jumper - Red Cross, £3
    Wrap London linen top - Red Cross, £3
    Ted Baker pale grey silk-back drapey cardigan - Cancer Research, £6 (for Christmas day)
    Pumpkin Patch purple & lilac cotton dress for niece, Cancer Research, £3
    BNWT John Lewis cornflower blue cashmere cable scarf & beanie - Barnardos, £10 for both (being kept for Christmas for DH)
    Well done you!
    Some fab makes there.

I'd have fought you for everything apart from the item in red.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 31,693 Thanks
    Floss
    I only bought that because I know that growing-like-a-weed niece has some pink tights & some purple ones to wear with it!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 23,565 Posts
    • 49,315 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I only bought that because I know that growing-like-a-weed niece has some pink tights & some purple ones to wear with it!!
    The pleasure of giving outweighs the joy of self-buying, I find.

(Unless the purchase for yourself happens to be a book ).

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 18,030 Posts
    • 45,954 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The only reason I wouldn't have bought the Pumpkin Patch dress is that my only niece wouldn't have appreciated it (she's 17 ).
    • Miró
    • By Miró 5th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    • 5,470 Posts
    • 22,789 Thanks
    Miró
    * Hands in sick note*

Apologies for absence....got a bad case of 'man-flu' and haven't been out of the house for ages. (it must be bad to stop my trips to the charity shops!)
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 6th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hi Everyone,
    Tomorrow I am heading from London to Manchester for the day, going by train - Are there any particularly good charity shops that I should look out for?
    Gem-gem
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 3402.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Oct 17, 8:45 AM
    • 18,030 Posts
    • 45,954 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Hi Everyone,
    Tomorrow I am heading from London to Manchester for the day, going by train - Are there any particularly good charity shops that I should look out for?
    Gem-gem
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    Sorry, I guess this is too late for you but whenever I'm going somewhere new I check out yell,com for charity shops in the area.

Have a lovely day and I hope you get some great bargains.
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 7th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    Viyella short sleeved blouse in shades of muted green £1 from Ageuk
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Oct 17, 6:24 AM
    • 11,276 Posts
    • 217,114 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Eight 'jonelle' aka John Lewis brand matching towels; two bath sheets, three bath towels and three hand towels. £2 the lot.

The bath towels and one of the hand towels are leaving later today for the parental home, the rest for me - although one of my hand towels will immediately be demoted to rag-status and several more are on the way out, so this is a timely haul.

Other than that, I've been a bit under the weather with a cold and have been working, sleeping and not chazzer-shopping....... I'm sure various local emporia are about to post Missing posters.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 8th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3,275 Posts
    • 30,185 Thanks
    dolly84
    Hi everyone. I've been a lurker for a while but decided to post. I love CS shopping and am always amazed at the stuff people get rid of. To be honest though it has all become a bit out of hand and instead of it being more ethical consumerism which I wanted it to be it is a bit of an obsession. Anyone else had that problem? Anyway my recent bargains were

M&S Per Una heavyweight khaki cotton coat
    , just above knee length, sort of parka/trenchcoat style with plaid lining £1.99, it needed the hanging hook repairing and had a missing button so I added a same shape and size but contrasting button.

F&F grey fairisle jumper dress, super soft with good long sleeves (I'm tall with long arms and legs) £3.50.

Next grey chinos - £2.99
    Next white skinny jeans £2.99 - these will be dyed either black or blue.

Next sleeveless owl print blouse £1.99 - I plan to wear this button right to the top under crew and v neck jumpers for a preppy style without all the bulk of sleeves.

Handknitted 90's or 90's style grunge grandad cardigan - this is oversized and a thing of beauty to me, it looks fab with skinny jeans, a boyfriend t shirt and my docs - £1.99

Vintage Vyella full length wool military style black coat for DD, she is 13 and has an amazing sense of style, she loves the 80's so this went down a storm, this was made in England too. £5.79

Boden lilac and white fitted shirt £1.99

Mens Crew Clothing Chambray Shirt for DH £1

YSWIM now
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • cuppacoffee
    • By cuppacoffee 8th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    cuppacoffee
    Hello!
    My first time on the thread, so I thought I'd post my finds from this week:

1 super soft and comfortable jumper dress in grey. V flattering shape - £3
    1 Phase Eight dress for work - black and white pattern with textured fabric and perfect fit - £3
    1 Hand woven wool skirt with huge label saying made in Winfield BC (think it's vintage 60s? Not too sure) - £2 - missing a zip
    1 Green dress with some gold patterning - pretty sure vintage 60s due to style and old-style label. Some ciggie stains (towards bottom of skirt) and not very noticable moth holes - £3

All from a CR shop in Lewisham.

The first two buys were practical as I've been looking for a jumper dress for a while, especially now it's getting cooler, and the Phase Eight Dress will be handy for work ( I do favour dresses with boots and tights in autumn and winter!) The other two were guilty purchases and will go into my small collection of vintage clothes... maybe not very MSE but I get a lot of joy from them. Saying that, the green and gold dress fits fairly well and with some TLC and creative tailoring (thanks to my mum who's a dab hand on the sewing machine!) I might be able to wear it to Christmas parties.

Earlier in the year I got a pair of blue slouchy trousers from Zara Suit for £4 from a BHF - I wore them so much over the summer! I've packed them away now until next spring/summer as they won't be warm enough for the following months.

When I was a teenager I used to get embarrassed by the way my Mum harped on about the charity shops, but now I think they're just fab!

I'm looking forward to continuing to read about other people's finds
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    • 18,030 Posts
    • 45,954 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Welcome to dolly84 and cupacoffee.

cupacoffee - I think 'Winfield' may have been a Woolworths brand.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 8th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Sorry, I guess this is too late for you but whenever I'm going somewhere new I check out yell,com for charity shops in the area.

Have a lovely day and I hope you get some great bargains.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Thank you Pollycat.
    I will bear that in mind for next time.
    I had a wander but the place is so big that I obviously wasn’t looking in the right place as I didn’t find any. It was also raining, so after a while I headed to the virgin lounge where there was a classical music event. So no bargains found.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 3402.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • cuppacoffee
    • By cuppacoffee 8th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    cuppacoffee
    Welcome to dolly84 and cupacoffee.

cupacoffee - I think 'Winfield' may have been a Woolworths brand.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Ooo interesting - thanks Pollycat! I do like researching the various brands I come across with my vintage finds, although sometimes I don't get very far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

2,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin