Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 338
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 26th Sep 17, 11:51 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    On Saturday I was in the Cancer Research shop, and spotted Amy Poehler (American comedian)'s autobiography in hardback for £1, as I've been eyeing the same book up on WHSmith online's sales section, I wanted to buy it. I didn't have any loose change so had to go to another shop to break up a bigger note, and then luckily it was still there.

It's in not bad condition, some sticker residue to the front of the dust jacket, and one page has a crease into it, which has nearly turned into a tear but it's not bad for £1 and I've found that a lot of the WHSmith books turn up quite bashed about so there's no guarantee that it would have been in perfect condition if I ordered it from there instead of picking up the one in the charity shop.
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 26th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    bobsa1
    I was at Nettlebed sale too yesterday (and I saw that radiator cover!!). It was absolutely mobbed, and everyone seemed to be in a very bad mood ☹️

I bought : a set of four white metal Venetian blinds and 8 very tall white metal 'spur' type shelving uprights for £5 the lot, a big bag of lego and a tub of wooden construction nuts/bolts stuff for my daughter's class at school £6 the lot, the Tom Kerridge Dopamine diet book, the Great British Sewing Bee book and a book about knitting bags £2 each, a big selection of wooden DoCrafts rubber stamps - many of them large, most of them unused - for 50p each; a Yule log style metal cake tin and a couple of Pyrex baking dishes all for 50p each.
    Originally posted by C J

I've got to agree about people being in a mood (not me obviously as I was so excited I was more like an excitable puppy!) . My husband and I both commented on the aggressive behaviour of some people towards the volunteers it was actually quite shocking. One man who wanted various things "saving" was actually shouting when the volunteers said no.

The volunteers did a really good job in my view particularly the lady who was fighting a losing battle getting people to pay the £1 entry
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 26th Sep 17, 6:05 PM
    • 18,049 Posts
    • 46,006 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I bought a lovely M&S white short cardigan with cap sleeves, 55% linen & 45% cotton from Air Ambulance this morning. £1.00.
    Then on my way back through town this afternoon I found a very nice Mantaray long sleeved shirt for OH in shades of burgundy, grey & white also for £1.00.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 26th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 7,518 Posts
    • 7,943 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I didn't buy, but Shelter in Stirling have new hi-vis jackets (usually about £30 each) and padded waistcoats for £3 each. All XXXL or similar large sizes. Probably overstock or seconds.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 26th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 5,471 Posts
    • 22,801 Thanks
    Miró
    St Gemma's in Otley this afternoon and I found a grey and white striped shirt in a lovely soft cotton, cut like a man's shirt with the flappy bit at the back being longer than the front for good bum coverage! No sign of any labels ever having been on the garment, no makers label or care label...rather odd! Don't think it was hand made either. Price...99p
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Potternerd
    • By Potternerd 27th Sep 17, 8:09 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    Potternerd
    An owl travel mug for £1 a teeny tiny pink 2018 diary also for £1 and a cowl necked fine denim dress for £4
    • bumblebeany
    • By bumblebeany 27th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    bumblebeany
    Delurking - I got an emma bridgewater bird mug for 50p yesterday. I think new they are about 20 squid which i'd never pay for a mug. Quick scrub and looks as good as new.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 27th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 4,241 Posts
    • 39,577 Thanks
    Frith
    A pair of brand new Fat Face bootie style slippers from the Cats Protection charity shop in Barnards Green.

£4. The tags are still on them and similar style are £25+ new!
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Sep 17, 10:16 PM
    • 23,554 Posts
    • 49,363 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    One man who wanted various things "saving" was actually shouting when the volunteers said no.

The volunteers did a really good job in my view particularly the lady who was fighting a losing battle getting people to pay the £1 entry
    Originally posted by bobsa1
    Doesn't sound very charitable to me!

I found myself in Brentwood today, I don't think I've actually stopped there for over 10 years! Couldn't resist chaz-ing in new location, so off I went with an open mind. 5 chazzers later, I came to the conclusion that they were over-priced (aside from the books in CRUK - same price as in my local. I bought 3 books - real crackers, that I'm pretty certain I'm not going to stumble upon again).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 28th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 4,660 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    Brand New Mousetrap game £3 now stashed in the Christmas Cupboard and a Tu long tunic top for £3.50. Not amazing bargains but I`m happy with them, from Cancer Research Chazza.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 28th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 31,748 Thanks
    Floss
    A Next cable knit dress £4, Monsoon fair isle knit dress £4 and a Per Una down jacket bnwt (but without detachable fur collar ) £7.50...local hospice shop.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 28th Sep 17, 3:21 PM
    • 18,049 Posts
    • 46,006 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Brand New Mousetrap game £3 now stashed in the Christmas Cupboard and a Tu long tunic top for £3.50. Not amazing bargains but I`m happy with them, from Cancer Research Chazza.
    Originally posted by vodkawitch1
    If it's jersey fabric, I think TU quality stands up to Per Una & Monsoon.
    A Next cable knit dress £4, Monsoon fair isle knit dress £4 and a Per Una down jacket bnwt (but without detachable fur collar ) £7.50...local hospice shop.
    Originally posted by Floss
    Amazing bargain. What was the original price (if you don't mind me asking - just being nosy ).
    I have one bought from M&S Outlet clearance rail & it's fab.
    You'll be toasty this winter.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Sep 17, 8:16 AM
    • 18,049 Posts
    • 46,006 Thanks
    Pollycat
    From my favourite Air Ambulance 'clearance' shop where everything is £1:
    a M&S Indigo unlined bum-length cotton jacket with a concealed hood in the collar and 4 feature pockets and drawstring waist.
    Colour says 'teal' but it's more a dark jade-ish green (IYSWIM).
    The original Air Ambulance tag said £4.95 and I'd have thought it would have been a bargain at that price but obviously not.

Unfortunately, shopping at this charity shop is making me really mean - I turn my nose up at anything that costs more than a couple of £s.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 30th Sep 17, 8:01 AM
    • 18,049 Posts
    • 46,006 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A M&S Autograph long sleeved shirt (by Nigel Hall - whoever he is ) in stripes of white, greys and lilacs. Very fresh looking with contrasting material on the insides of the cuffs, collar and yoke.

£1.00 from the Air Ambulance shop.

I swear that I'm spending so much time in there they'll be charging me rent soon.
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 30th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    Per Una fine knit pale grey top with elbow length sleeves - £2
    Not exciting but a good piece of basic clothing
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 2nd Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 5,990 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Ooh, I saw a Scope shop with everything priced at £1 so I went in this morning.

I bought a pack of Scope x-mas cards for £1, two birthday cards for 50p, a book for 50p, a red long sleeved top for £1 and a long red and white sundress for £1. Very pleased with that!

I completely forgot that I wasn't supposed to be buying any books this month
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Oct 17, 9:32 PM
    • 23,554 Posts
    • 49,363 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I completely forgot that I wasn't supposed to be buying any books this month
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Tell me about it.

I can't say whether it was the chazzer monster or book monster within that forced me to buy 11 books for just under £5 today. 3 for my niece, 3 biographies, 2 on modern history, one on economics, one classic and a Naomi Wolf feminist piece.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 5,990 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Tell me about it.

I can't say whether it was the chazzer monster or book monster within that forced me to buy 11 books for just under £5 today. 3 for my niece, 3 biographies, 2 on modern history, one on economics, one classic and a Naomi Wolf feminist piece.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    11 books for less than £5!

The book I bought was this one.Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

It didn't get very positive reviews.

I was rushing a bit as I wasn't meant to even get off the bus at the shop and I didn't bother to read a review before I bought it. Oh well, I will just read it and see what I think and then return it.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 3rd Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    purpleybat
    11 books for less than £5!

The book I bought was this one.Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

It didn't get very positive reviews.

I was rushing a bit as I wasn't meant to even get off the bus at the shop and I didn't bother to read a review before I bought it. Oh well, I will just read it and see what I think and then return it.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000

I wish you luck with it. I bought it a couple of years ago (I think), thought it was dire and gave up after about 20 pages.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160
    • Ballymackeonan
    • By Ballymackeonan 3rd Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    Ballymackeonan
    On Saturday, I got my winter coat - a vintage, full-length leopard print fake fur (Lister Kathmandu - from the 1960s and very Corrie!) for £8! Plus an M & S Autograph cashmere cardi for £2, pale grey and in great condition..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,944Posts Today

8,900Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin