Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 336
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 18,321 Posts
    • 46,902 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I wouldn't say that Blackpool is a posh area And there are a few fragrances, quite possibly more than 6 in my local store.
    Originally posted by Floss
    Yes, but the DM article specifically mentioned 6 that were Jo Malone smell-alikes.
    And none of those were in store.
    Lots of other fragrances but none of those 6.
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 16th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 4,845 Thanks
    bexster1975
    JM smell-a-likes Not in Coventry primark either.

Bexster
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    • 18,321 Posts
    • 46,902 Thanks
    Pollycat
    For the avoidance of doubt, here are the 6 fragrances mentioned in the DM article:
    ROSE OUD
    POMEGRANATE & BLACK TEA
    JASMINE & HONEY
    VANILLA ABSOLUTE
    AMBER NOIR
    MANDARIN & BASIL
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 23,929 Posts
    • 50,225 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm very pleased to hear it.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Today was a start. I visited a chazzer with my sister - unusual for me - and persuaded her to buy a bargain I spotted. For her own use of course, not mine

I just stuff delicate things in a pillowcase and fasten with a couple of tiny safety pins
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I like this tip, but would always worry that one night work its way loose and put a spanner in the works of the WM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 16th Sep 17, 11:27 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Just one cs bargain for me 3 Le parfait type preserving jars but with a different name (made in France) and with blue lids. 1ltr size for £1 each. I was faced with a five mile journey to the local steamer trading until I saw them (for jam jars) a wash in the dishwasher , new rubber seals that I had and a sterilisation in the oven and they were good to go.
    A none cs. Bargain I got today was from the m and s outlet. A dressy autograph evening type dress with an Rrp of £75 in the clearance for £13.99 I noticed it had a small lipstick mark on so another 10 per cent off so a total of £12.50 I've got a dress to wear to my nieces wedding
    • Miró
    • By Miró 16th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    • 5,487 Posts
    • 22,959 Thanks
    Miró

I like this tip, but would always worry that one night work its way loose and put a spanner in the works of the WM.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

Not had it happen yet...oh gawd...that's tempting fate innit??? Mind you, my machine has survived the underwires from bras escaping several times now
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 18,321 Posts
    • 46,902 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just one cs bargain for me 3 Le parfait type preserving jars but with a different name (made in France) and with blue lids. 1ltr size for £1 each. I was faced with a five mile journey to the local steamer trading until I saw them (for jam jars) a wash in the dishwasher , new rubber seals that I had and a sterilisation in the oven and they were good to go.
    A none cs. Bargain I got today was from the m and s outlet. A dressy autograph evening type dress with an Rrp of £75 in the clearance for £13.99 I noticed it had a small lipstick mark on so another 10 per cent off so a total of £12.50 I've got a dress to wear to my nieces wedding
    Originally posted by bobsa1
    Ooooh!
    This sounds great. I love the 'clearance' rail in M&S Outlets, going to one on Friday.

It's such a good bargain so I think we'll applaud you on it even if it's not a charity shop buy.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 23,929 Posts
    • 50,225 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Ooooh!
    This sounds great. I love the 'clearance' rail in M&S Outlets, going to one on Friday.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    If it's the one at Chatham Dockyard you're thinking of, give it a swerve. I found it a complete waste of time!

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 18,321 Posts
    • 46,902 Thanks
    Pollycat
    If it's the one at Chatham Dockyard you're thinking of, give it a swerve. I found it a complete waste of time!
    No, you're well over 100 miles out.

We have 2 reasonably close to us and most of it seems to be stuff that you can get cheaper in M&S sales.
    And the down side is that you have to return it to the Outlet if you change your mind.

But.....the clearance rail can sometimes yield some goodies.
    I bought 5 'dressy' dresses between Xmas and New Year, all reduced to £10.
    One had a clearance price of £39 so probably had been at least £80 BN - one is per Una Speziale and another is M&S 'Best of British' designers.
    3 still have the labels on so I might sell them on eBay (if we can get motivated ).
    I've also got a stock of opaque tights in various colours that I only paid 99p for.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I visited the charity shop VfM4meplse told me about this morning as I was up bright and early. I bought a blue sheer scarf and a small blue heart shaped bowl. I will use the bowl to keep my keys in.

I also got more teddy bears for my dogs to destroy.

It was really cheap in that shop, it had a sign saying everything £1 or less. I got the scarf, bowl and 5 teddy bears for £4.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • missychrissy
    • By missychrissy 18th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    missychrissy
    I always find the charity shops great for glass. I recently bought six lovely wine glasses for £4.99 and told my daughter in law that there were another 6 in the shop and which she then bought. I have a lovely glass trifle bowl and pedestal cake plate bought in the same shop a while ago.

I often buy children's books and cookery books in the charity shops. Last week I bought Gok Wan's 'Gok Cooks Chinese' for £1.99.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Sep 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just saw that the bowl I bought has a Peter John Product label on the bottom and they have them on ebay for about £7. So that was a real bargain as it was less than £1.

I only noticed it in the shop as it reminded me of something that my Grandmother used to have in her house.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 23,929 Posts
    • 50,225 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I visited the charity shop VfM4meplse told me about this morning as I was up bright and early.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Glad to be of service

I'm always highly irritated by how the books are arranged: I have to stoop to see them and dodge CD-chasers that have their choice running below. Surely stacking vertically in groups rather than across the whole shelf makes much more sense?

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Sep 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 6,593 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm always highly irritated by how the books are arranged: I have to stoop to see them and dodge CD-chasers that have their choice running below. Surely stacking vertically in groups rather than across the whole shelf makes much more sense?
    I didn't notice the books, it was quite busy in there considering it was only 9 in the morning. It must be so popular because of the prices!

I looked in the Salvation Army shop too, but didn't find anything interesting in there.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 18th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 8,029 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    "Yes Minister" collector's box set of DVDs (4 discs, series 1 2 and 3) for £3. Cancer Research in Edinburgh.

On the other hand maybe I paid too much at £2 for 4 Asda Smartprice wineglasses from the Salvation Army.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 19th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 28,577 Thanks
    tessie bear
    charity shop pricing is sometimes funny yesterday i spotted a set of jane asher pastry cutters from the pound shop at the bargain price of £1.50

i did get a cheeky bargain in the shape of a karen millen jumper for £1.99 pleased with that
    on the brink...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 23,929 Posts
    • 50,225 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    charity shop pricing is sometimes funny yesterday i spotted a set of jane asher pastry cutters from the pound shop at the bargain price of £1.50
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Sounds exactly like the shop referred to in this post:
    I looked in the Salvation Army shop too, but didn't find anything interesting in there.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    The staff are well-intentioned I'm sure, but are utterly clueless about retail. On the odd occasion I venture in there, the volunteers are always having heated discussions about the displays. The last time I did I saw china egg holders and large plastic cake holders that were still available in Poundland. Priced at £1.99

• Miró
    • By Miró 19th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 5,487 Posts
    • 22,959 Thanks
    Miró
    Today's afternoon tripette to Otley found me a few things in the St Gemma's 99p shop, including one I am thrilled with. First I found a purple, fine jersey, scoopy necked, M & S t shirt, not particularly thrilling but I love these....got several now in all different colours. I love to wear them as an extra layer under shirts, jumpers and even dresses in winter. Then I found a man's, small sized, white, short sleeved t shirt in a lovely quality cotton jersey, no makers label but brand new. Perfect for one of my 'fat' days when I want to hide in something baggy! . Both items 99p.

Then my star buy....a Coast, wrapover evening cardi with ties that fasten at the back in a light shade of camel. It's made from a cotton and elastane mix and has dull copper coloured sequins with a tiny bead in the centre scattered all over both back and front. It is even fully lined, including the sleeves, in a fine cotton lawn. It appears to be in perfect condition with none of the trim missing as so often happens with beads and sequins! I even have a pair of smart trousers in a similar colour. I found one for sale on eBay and the seller says it was originally priced at £90...I paid 99p

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Coast-Womens-Camel-Studded-And-Sequinned-Wrap-Cardigan-Size-12-/222187712303?hash=item33bb6b6f2f:g:eH0AAOSwNKRXiQq X

(It looks much nicer on than on the hanger....honestly!!)
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 23,929 Posts
    • 50,225 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I had a chazzer fail today (in as much as I failed to stop myself from buying ).

A Frozen rucksack and 2 pairs of jeans for my niece who is growing at a rate of knots for £6...and 7 books for me for £3.68. I know what I resolved all of last week, I just couldn't help myself. Of the two that were £1 each, one was a beautifully bound hardback of Cranford (just begging to be added to my classics bookshelf) and also a new-looking hardback copy of this, which after some discussion with the Oxfam volunteer we realised was published just this year:

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Sep 17, 5:59 PM
    • 18,321 Posts
    • 46,902 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I had a chazzer fail today (in as much as I failed to stop myself from buying ).

A Frozen rucksack and 2 pairs of jeans for my niece who is growing at a rate of knots for £6...and 7 books for me for £3.68. I know what I resolved all of last week, I just couldn't help myself. Of the two that were £1 each, one was a beautifully bound hardback of Cranford (just begging to be added to my classics bookshelf) and also a new-looking hardback copy of this, which after some discussion with the Oxfam volunteer we realised was published just this year:

All I can say is:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter