Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 334
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Sep 17, 8:52 AM
    • 11,208 Posts
    • 215,838 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    The Hobbs cardi sounds beautiful.
    Somebody probably thought it was a bed jacket.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Lol, I never even thought of that!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 14th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3,565 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Was tempted into a chazzer by the 50% sale, sadly everything I liked on the pound rail was at least two sizes too large. I did pick up some M&S linen trousers for £2; I find these really comfortable for long train journeys in summer.

Was in a posh part of Sheffield over the weekend; found a really smart pure cotton Fat Face white shirt for £2 and a brand new Monsoon pure cotton cardy for £6. Annoyingly, when I got home I realised the cardy had been mislabelled and was a size 16 rather than a 10. Really didn't want to re-chaz it as it's so nice; decided to wear it as a baggy look over other layers.

The true test of a good cardy is how they emerge from a washing machine; they seem to be the item of clothing that is most prone to mutation and bobbling.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 11,208 Posts
    • 215,838 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I have some home-made laundry bags which are made from net curtain fabric and re-purposed nylon zips, in various sizes. I use these to wash items which are technically machine washable but which tend to distort/ bobble if given half a chance.

I would button the cardi, turn it inside out and bag it as above before washing it.

Incidentally, I've been using one of the largest net curtaining bags (about 2.5 ft square) to launder a towelling dressing gown. This means that a robe which is 20+ years old doesn't have a single pluck or pull and looks like new. Since most towelling robes get destroyed by laundering rather than wear & tear, this tip has proved useful. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Miró
    • By Miró 14th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 5,453 Posts
    • 22,705 Thanks
    Miró
    Well, life is very weird sometimes..........

I'm a bit addicted to the Jo Malone/Aldi lookee-likee candles, especially the Lime/Basil/Mandarin 'flavour' one so when I was tipped off that Primark is now doing a brilliant copy of the Jo Malone perfume in that same scent for £3 for the 20ml handbag size and £8 for 100ml I set off on a mission today. I struck lucky in Harrogate after the shelves in Leeds had been cleaned out. Got 2 small perfumes plus matching hand wash and hand cream, all for the grand sum of £12, and it really does smell like the real thing. Would have been over £100 if it had been the proper JM stuff!

Sorry for the waffle....now for the relevant bit......on my way home from Harrogate I passed a charity shop and, of course, called in. In a far corner I spied a basket full of candles so made a bee line for them. There was a woman standing right in front of said basket blocking my way so I did my usual 'thinking evil thoughts and mentally shoving her out of the way' thing, (I'm not nice am I?). I could see that most of the candles were used and in a pretty sorry state but I could see a tantalising large silver lid glinting under the heap and experience has told me that this usually indicates a good quality candle. The Woman eventually moved and Speedy Gonzales dived into the basket and pulled out....ta daaa...an unused Aldi, Jo Malone. lookee-likee candle in my favourite 'flavour', matching the purchases I had just made and for the exhorbitant price of 50p How's that for coincidence?

Oh, and I also found a longline silky knitted jumper in black by Hobbs for £1.50
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Sep 17, 6:34 PM
    • 17,671 Posts
    • 44,989 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Miro
    Thanks for the heads-up re Primark.
    I'll pop in tomorrow to see if they have any.
    Waiting for our new Aldi to open & I'll hope to stock up. Want a diffuser.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 30,683 Thanks
    Floss
    Miro me too with the thanks - am off to town tomorrow so will fly-by Primarmi to see if they have any in my local store.

I had a bit of a splurge the other day - 2 office dresses, a Phase Eight l/s maroon-mix tweedy dress, a Zara knit dress and a l/s leopardy-type turtleneck top. T'was £27 in total but each of the dresses is worth £7+ in wear & value in my wardrobe
    • Miró
    • By Miró 14th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 5,453 Posts
    • 22,705 Thanks
    Miró
    Miro
    Thanks for the heads-up re Primark.
    I'll pop in tomorrow to see if they have any.
    Waiting for our new Aldi to open & I'll hope to stock up. Want a diffuser.

Oh...Primark do a Jo Malone lookee-likee diffuser too...and a room spray. All the JM copies are in what they call The Private Collection and it's all in smart white, silver & black packaging. Would be interested to know if you find any and if you do what you think of it! Good luck, it's all selling like hotcakes I was told in the store.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 14th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    More brand new swimming gear for DS. £2.00.

Can't wait for my twenty week scan at the end of November now so we know if we're having a boy or a girl.

I've told DH that when he goes up in the loft for the Xmas tree he's getting all the old clothes back down so I can sort them out accordingly.

Get more use out of it all if it's another boy or sell anything non sentimental to raise funds for girl's clothes etc.

Keep having to stop myself picking up pretty bits in the charity shops already....
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Sep 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 5,290 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I saw that there was a new (to me, I hadn't noticed it before) charity shop when I was walking around yesterday. I had forgotten how addictive charity shops can be...
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 17,671 Posts
    • 44,989 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I saw that there was a new (to me, I hadn't noticed it before) charity shop when I was walking around yesterday. I had forgotten how addictive charity shops can be...
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    But....but....but.... - did you get a bargain?
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 15th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    A gorgeous Wittard teapot, with six cups and saucers, and a sugar bowl. All in perfect condition, for 6.99 on Monday.
    Looking for a cake stand next..
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 5,290 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    But....but....but.... - did you get a bargain?
    Oh yes, I forgot to say that bit. I did get another across the body bag from Evans for only £2. It's a velvety, chocolate brown bag.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 15th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 3,565 Posts
    • 11,815 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I have some home-made laundry bags which are made from net curtain fabric and re-purposed nylon zips, in various sizes. I use these to wash items which are technically machine washable but which tend to distort/ bobble if given half a chance.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I do have a zippable laundry bag made of a fishnet stocking type fabric that I bought for my undies in communal washes when travelling; never thought to use it with larger items. I guess they keep garments more compressed, so less surface area to bobble and warp?
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 17,671 Posts
    • 44,989 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I do have a zippable laundry bag made of a fishnet stocking type fabric that I bought for my undies in communal washes when travelling; never thought to use it with larger items. I guess they keep garments more compressed, so less surface area to bobble and warp?
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    Wilko do some that are not fishnet but are 'filled in' - IYSWIM - and also padded.
    http://www.wilko.com/washing-lines-pegs+peg-bags/wilko-delicates-washing-bag-white/invt/0328211

I always wash my bras/bikini tops in them as well as anything that has beads or sequins on.
    And all knitwear.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 30,683 Thanks
    Floss
    Me too - I got mine from Lidl as they often have them in their laundry offers.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 17, 7:19 PM
    • 17,671 Posts
    • 44,989 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Miro
    Help. Help.
    Been into Primark, asked where the Jo Malone smell-alike was.
    Assistant didn't know so asked another.
    She didn't know so asked another.
    She didn't know either.
    Looked in the perfume section.
    Nothing.
    Wandered upstairs to the home section, looked at candles & diffusers.
    Nothing.
    Where should I be looking?

On the upside, I bought a pair of M&S 100% linen trousers (their 'Love Linen' range) in a denim colour.
    These have an elasticated cotton ribbing back and are fabulously comfortable,
    I have lots of pairs in different colours.
    £1.99 Oxfam
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 15th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 4,801 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Hello

Do you mean the candles? They are in Aldi

Bexster
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 17,671 Posts
    • 44,989 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Bexter
    See Miro's post #6664.
    • bexster1975
    • By bexster1975 15th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 4,801 Thanks
    bexster1975
    Cheers Pollycat

Not Aldi then!

I'm in town tomorrow so will pop in primarni and report back

Bexster
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 15th Sep 17, 8:05 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 9,843 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    Visiting daughter in north west, went to local Hospice superstore, between us we got a large bagful for £10. Worked out my bits cost me £2 which included

Per Una brown corded jacket
    Maine grey v neck top with flower detail.
    2 next tops 1 red with longer sleeves & other black/white.

Best thing is if you go again, take the bag back and fill for £8.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,147Posts Today

8,116Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin