Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 332
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 31st Aug 17, 8:35 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    DianneB
    A brand new Kenwood Chef with the plastic still on bowl and beaters with instructions, not that I need them! for £75. A lot of money but I bought my old one in 1984 and the clanking noises were quite alarming!! I am very happy!!
    • CandyB101
    • By CandyB101 31st Aug 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    CandyB101
    Last week I found my most expensive purchase from a charity shop.
    A Gplan dressing table for £80 in perfect condition!!!
    My daughter had set her heart on one .... even willing to pay for it herself (I guess as one of her favourite UTuber has the same one).
    The cheapest I previously found was on eBay for £180 and nowhere near in such a good condition.
    Good old charity shops ... I love them.
    A creative mess is better than tidy idleness
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 31st Aug 17, 10:55 PM
    • 15,231 Posts
    • 123,616 Thanks
    JackieO
    Fab find in the BHF C/s in Ryde today, pale pink, soft as cashmere, short sleeved jumper ,just right for the autumn with my black velvet trousers and they had a sale on so it cost me a whopping £1.65 great bargain as I can only wear really soft wool as my skin gets irritated very easily so its cotton tops or really soft thin wool.Can't wear synthetics grr I come out in weals
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 1st Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 5,452 Posts
    • 22,704 Thanks
    Miró
    Total finds over the last two weeks.....zilch!

Can't remember ever going for so long without a single purchase. Lots of my local charity shops are full of 'back to school' stuff which is of no interest to me and some now have rails of 'party wear'.....all ready for the Christmas party season , (or so one of the helpers told me).
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 1st Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 9,927 Posts
    • 15,603 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Total finds over the last two weeks.....zilch!

Can't remember ever going for so long without a single purchase. Lots of my local charity shops are full of 'back to school' stuff which is of no interest to me and some now have rails of 'party wear'.....all ready for the Christmas party season , (or so one of the helpers told me).
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Put the money you're not spending in a separate purse, ready for when you do find something that you dither over as it's a bit more than you want to pay!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 1st Sep 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 50,357 Thanks
    silvasava
    DianneB - well done on the Chef! Excellent machines. I used to work for Ken Wood many years ago - lovely man. Ive also still got my little Chefette hand mixer - must be getting on for 40 years old and still in regular use!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 1st Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    Visited both Scope and my local hospice charity shop today, nothing that I fancied in Scope, but in the local hospice charity shop, I picked up three books for £1, they have a long term 3 books for £1 offer. The books are The Girl on the Train (hardback edition) by Paula Hawkins, The Queen and I (paperback edition), by Sue Townsend, and The Mystery of Mercy Close (paperback) by Marian Keyes. The books are not in great condition, but at on average around 33p each, it's not bad really!
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 1st Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    I've donated more recently. Not bought for a while.

Have a task now though. Cousin's 50th birthday party at the start of October requires my DH, men's XL, DsS, men's small and DS, 12-18mth to all wear Hawaiian shirts.....
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 1st Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    Bought myself a pair of spanking new looking 'Footglove' casual shoes for £3.99. Shop price £45. I'm as pleased as a cat with two tails.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 1st Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 12,497 Posts
    • 12,052 Thanks
    Chris25
    A local shop must have given in all the unsold Easter stuff because the CS had chicks galore; knit-your-own fluffy ones, packs of wiry ones, plastic ones, some on bunting, and some with rabbit friends.

And eggs; cardboard ones, hollow plastic ones, solid plastic ones, and little strings of egg shaped lights.

Everything was £1 - going like hot cakes cross buns
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 2nd Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Foxyloxy11 we live just outside Beverley in East Yorkshire and Beverley has some great charity shops but these particular bargains were from Hessle where there is a local hospice outlet where virtually everything is £1 hence the price of the suits and there are some other well priced cs as well Willerby where there is a sue Ryder that can be great sometimes and that's where I got the Cath kidston and Emma bridgewater and cottingham for the shoes and le creuset. We are fortunate that there are quite a lot of fairly affluent suburbs so get some nice things but the general cost of living and things is low so prices in the smaller charity shops or those that don't have national pricing are very good
    Originally posted by bobsa1
    Brill!!! even better i'm not far away. I live in Waltham near Grimsby/Cleethorpes. I will definitely be popping over the bridge. Thank you
    365 day penny challenge - £126.00/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £120.00/£1000 Stage 1
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 4th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 50,357 Thanks
    silvasava
    Went looking for books by a particular author for DH. Didn't find any but.....pair of fuchsia pink leather Autograph ballerinas for 5.99 insteadf £40 - look like they've been worn once at the most. A Minuet silky heavy jersey top with three quarter sleeve s and a lovely shawl type neckline and a nice cotton jersey night shift with pretty embroidered hearts £3 for the two in a local charity shop. Well pleased!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 4th Sep 17, 10:06 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 10,992 Thanks
    Hermia
    I went to stay with a friend for a few days and found two new high-quality tops for £1 each. I nearly died of shock! Where I live clothes always seem to be a minimum of £4.99 even though it isn't a rich area. I might have to find an excuse to visit my friend again!
    • pixo
    • By pixo 5th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    pixo
    My main bargains are always on books. My local hospice has a book shop and if you buy three kids books, you get three for free. It's brilliant. I pop in once every couple of weeks. The kids library is coming along very well.

One of the best bargains myself and my mother had recently was in the British Heart Foundation. We found a Brand new - still in the packet Cath Kidston phone case... for £1.99, which is great anyway... but the best thing is - it fit my mothers phone! She has a rather old phone and I've no idea which one it is. She was absolutely overjoyed and claims she will never change her phone now!
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 5th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Brand new Vidal Sassoon hairdryer for £3.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Sep 17, 5:42 PM
    • 4,187 Posts
    • 39,082 Thanks
    Frith
    Worcs today and did well in Oxfam.

New grey t shirt for older son (tags still on) for £4. Looked it up online (Friend or faux brand) and their t shirts start at £30!

Then an M and S Scandinavian looking patterned lambs wool jumper for me. It's a mans one as I get sick of tops being too short in the body.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 6th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    A Brio train set for £1.50 at one local shop for me xx
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 7th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    I've donated more recently. Not bought for a while.

Have a task now though. Cousin's 50th birthday party at the start of October requires my DH, men's XL, DsS, men's small and DS, 12-18mth to all wear Hawaiian shirts.....
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    turns out DH still had as old one in his wardrobe.

Found for both DsS and DS in the £1 hospice shop. DsS has a small men's H&M one and I found an age 1 Pumpkin Patch of for DS.

He was one the day before yesterday
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 11,193 Posts
    • 215,506 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Linen blouse 'East' brand with mother-of-pearl buttons - 50p.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• esmy
    • By esmy 7th Sep 17, 6:28 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    esmy
    Recent finds in the large independent charity warehouse near me..

New M&S girls school pinafore dress for DGD - 99p
    Berghaus ladies walking trousers with zip off legs - £1 (cheapest on line about £35 so very pleased)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin