Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 323
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 17, 12:13 AM
    • 22,855 Posts
    • 47,471 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    You probably look (and feel) all the better for buying your own trousers - all the 'uniform trousers' I have seen don't look particularly good on anyone and the material seems very unforgiving.

I'm a fan of two-way-stretch fabric trousers that sit nicely on the waist and don't need any adjustments, for both work and leisure.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    I was waiting for you to post again!

I couldn't remember your exact username but I did think of you about 3 weeks ago when I saw a certain book in a chazzer. I resisted buying it on the grounds that I would be highly unlikely to ever get round to reading it

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • C J
    • By C J 15th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    C J
    A shoebox full of Duplo (including two vehicle bases) for baby grandson, for £1.99. Also a couple of lovely lift-the-flap books for him which look absolutely brand new, for 20p each.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • jazzyjustlaw
    • By jazzyjustlaw 15th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    jazzyjustlaw
    I got three good items today. But the biggest bargain was leather dune shoes unworn for £3.50! I am thrilled!
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 15th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    Beenie
    I was looking for new, flattering jeans. The last pair I bought were from Monsoon and cost £58. Straight leg, elasticated, and worth it.

Imagine my joy at finding a brand new pair of Per Una straight leg jeans with Lycra for £5.99 at British Heart Foundation. Yay!!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jul 17, 8:08 AM
    • 16,980 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Had a day 'in the city' yesterday.

I find prices are high and don't often come home with much but my 2 finds were:

Fully lined purple Monsoon summer dress, a taffeta-looking fabric with a shine to it and embroidered in metallic thread down the front with various shades of purple, lilac, grey and silver flowers & leaves and the odd quality sequin (some are leaf-shaped) and some lovely beading.
    Just on the knee length.

Says 'Dry Clean only' but no chance.

Very flattering. £5.00
    So....if anyone needs a +1 at a posh event, I'm available.

A Whistles sleeveless black dress, in an amazing quality jersey type material and fully lined.
    It has a yoke and Princess seaming from there so quite fitted.
    Just above the knee.

The lady in the shop said it would look lovely with 'tan tights and heeled black shoes' and was aghast when I said I'd wear it with black opaques and either Doc Marts or my new gold Chelsea boots.

I'll probably wear it in the winter with a contrasting short cardigan.
    Also £5.00

Not really sure what this charity shop raises money for but the lady said 'that'll be 10 meals'.

ETA:
    I've looked it up and:
    About the Padley Group

Padley is a Derby-based charity founded in 1985 delivering services to people with complex needs.
    We work with some of the most socially excluded people in our local community.
    Issues such as . . .

- Homelessness
    - Mental health issues
    - Learning disabilities
    - Drug or alcohol addiction
    - Long-term unemployment
    - Support for ex-offenders
    - Needs related to rebuilding a shattered life

We strive to support people struggling to move on from difficult pasts. We work to build their self-confidence allowing them to move on and grow. We provide a safe environment for people who are at risk in society.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 16-07-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    • Ballymackeonan
    • By Ballymackeonan 16th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    Ballymackeonan
    One of my regular charity shops had an "everything £1" day yesterday - so I picked up a Next brown linen trouser suit for £2 (it doesn't fit but it's for donation to another shop about 5 miles away which discounts its stock if you're a regular donater, and where someone keeps donates designer gear which is not only to my taste, but in my size!) At the counter, there was a tray of brooches, also £1 - including one Victorian one, Roman revival style in blue and white enamel with seed pearls, very dirty but has cleaned up nicely. The blue enamel is a bit damaged, but it's still a nice thing!
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 16th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    A gorgeous black winter coat from Next for DS's future wardrobe (It's age 4 and he's an, albeit quite tall, ten month old!) For £1. Complete with old leaves hidden in the pocket by it's previous toddler owner lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 16th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 6,785 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Spent the day in Woodbridge, Suffolk yesterday. Popped into a couple of cs seeing if I could find a lemon squeezer/ juicer and two books that I am looking out for. No luck. I like going round different towns and their charity shops.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £286/£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 3402.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jul 17, 11:45 AM
    • 22,855 Posts
    • 47,471 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I bought another 5 books yesterday. One set was from a national charity that shall remain anonymous, that visibly had NO adult books on display. When I mentioned my disappointment, I was told that the area manager was insisting that the space be used to displace their own brand items instead and that no books were to be sold - against the common sense arguments of the staff. The kind volunteer assisted my covert mission to rescue some of these books. Result: 3 books bought and an extra £3 in the till from their latest lapel pins.

Also popped into a Barnardos, which were selling 3 cards for 99p. (Cards originally 89p each and reduced to 49p). They also had good quality Christmas cards selling for 59p. I didn't pay them much attention until I realised they were actually packs of 10! At which place I bought 6 packs.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 17-07-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Miró
    • By Miró 17th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 22,419 Thanks
    Miró
    I bought another 5 books yesterday. One set was from a national charity that shall remain anonymous, that visibly had NO adult books on display. When I mentioned my disappointment, I was told that the area manager was insisting that the space be used to displace their own brand items instead and that no books were to be sold - against the common sense arguments of the staff. The kind volunteer assisted my covert mission to rescue some of these books. Result: 3 books bought and an extra £3 in the till from their latest lapel pins.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    My local Oxfam does this too.....over half of the sales area now contains new ethnic-type stuff, (baskets, notepads, soapstone carvings etc) and Fair-trade stuff. For Gawd's sake...I do not go into a chazza to buy chocolate!!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 17th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 11,199 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly

Also popped into a Barnardos, which were selling 3 cards for 99p. (Cards originally 89p each and reduced to 49p). They also had good quality Christmas cards selling for 59p. I didn't pay them much attention until I realised they were actually packs of 10! At which place I bought 6 packs.
    I think the artwork on the Barnados Christmas cards is lovely, and bought some half price last January. Like anyone is ever going to think that a picture of a festive scene is so last season!

In my two nearest chazzers, which are not high end, I got a nice hardback edition of a childhood classic with (all books 19p) and a small smart black picture frame for 30p- I'm going to display old black and white postcards in black and white frames on my bathroom wall.

It is not often in London you can buy two items for under a quid!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 17th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Art Deco
    A gorgeous black winter coat from Next for DS's future wardrobe (It's age 4 and he's an, albeit quite tall, ten month old!) For £1. Complete with old leaves hidden in the pocket by it's previous toddler owner lol
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    Thats so nice! I remember many years ago getting a winter parka from a chazza for my youngest son he was so thrilled to find some conkers in one of the inner pockets complete with strings.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 17th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 22,419 Thanks
    Miró
    Today's finds.....

Ghost jersey top in a black/pink/white abstract pattern, with a cowl neck and sleeveless, on the sale rail, £1

A very pretty crystal, faceted tealight holder 25p

My best find....a really horrible, tatty, gold plastic evening bag. The attraction was the nicely aged, heavy gold coloured, long chain strap. I've been looking for one for a few months to replace a broken one on a favourite vintage leather bag. Could have bought a brand new one but a glittery new chain just would not have looked right. So pleased and the 'tatty bag' only cost 50p

Everything today from the community shop
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 17th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Finds have been a bit sparse recently but last week I got dd 4 Coca Cola glasses ( she likes American ephemera) for 99p each. We looked them up on various sites and they appear to be from the 1950s and are quite collectible and worth a tidy sum. She is delighted.
    Today I got dd age 13 a brand new pair of vans shoes for £5 a bit more than I like to pay but an absolute bargain as the Rrp is £49.99.
    I got myself a lovely joe browns sundress New with tags also for £5. It's not my normal kind of dress at all but I fancied a bit of a change of image. They appear to sell for about £50 new so this is a relatively risk free chance to try a new look
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 17th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    Originally posted by Lucy5781
    Spotted the same coat in age 9, in the same shop this morning whilst donating some bits back to them. I didn't buy that one... I think someone bought them matching for their sons and then both coats ended up in the charity shop.

I can't see the same coats online at Next so they're probably about 18mth-two years old but must have cost at least £25-35 each originally.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jul 17, 11:25 PM
    • 22,855 Posts
    • 47,471 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Does anyone know anything about the "Dress To Impress" label? What is it comparable to? It was my chazzer find (girls formal dress) from Kent last week.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    • 22,855 Posts
    • 47,471 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I think the artwork on the Barnados Christmas cards is lovely, and bought some half price last January. Like anyone is ever going to think that a picture of a festive scene is so last season!

In my two nearest chazzers, which are not high end, I got a nice hardback edition of a childhood classic with (all books 19p) and a small smart black picture frame for 30p- I'm going to display old black and white postcards in black and white frames on my bathroom wall.

It is not often in London you can buy two items for under a quid!
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    Where for art thou? She says with a glint in her eye

Seriously, I'm having palpitations at the prospect

• Miró
    • By Miró 17th Jul 17, 11:49 PM
    • 5,391 Posts
    • 22,419 Thanks
    Miró
    Does anyone know anything about the "Dress To Impress" label? What is it comparable to? It was my chazzer find (girls formal dress) from Kent last week.

Was it a range of 'Occasionwear' by H & M in 2015?? Never actually seen any of the items tho!
    • NorfolkandGood
    • By NorfolkandGood 18th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    NorfolkandGood
    Hi all, this week's charity shop purchases from the reuse shop:
    Phoenix trading birthday cards and thank you cards 25p each and multi packs £1.
    I think I've spent about £8.50 so far on them but I like to have some at home for all the parties the little ones go to.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 16,980 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Pollycat
    From Age UK (the cheaper one of the 2 in town) a Mantaray strappy sundress in brown, coral, pink & white flowered jersey (sounds horrible but it works) £3.50

From Air Ambulance, a East jersey dress in a ditsy flower print summer dress £1.00.

Looking at new prices for both makes, I think I've been 'done' on the Mantaray dress.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,178Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin