Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 322
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Got a BNIB (well, blister pack) Fridge and freezer thermometer for 99p. Seems accurate and it alerted me to the fact that my fridge was at 10 degrees C Explains why my Cravendale milk hasn't been lasting so long recently.

Also two silicone egg poachers for 50p. I like the idea of dry poached eggs but don't know how to use these. Do they float on the water or stand on the bottom of the pan in a bit of water? Do they take longer to cook eggs than ordinary poached eggs?
    Last edited by coffeehound; 11-07-2017 at 9:35 PM.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 11th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4,114 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Hermia
    Got a BNIB (well, blister pack) Fridge and freezer thermometer for 99p. Seems accurate and it alerted me to the fact that my fridge was at 10 degrees C Explains why my Cravendale milk hasn't been lasting so long recently.

Also two silicone egg poachers for 50p. I like the idea of dry poached eggs but don't know how to use these. Do they float on the water or stand on the bottom of the pan in a bit of water? Do they take longer to cook eggs than ordinary poached eggs?
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    I tried those once. I put them in for the amount of time suggested and the eggs were runny still. I doubled the time and the eggs were still pretty runny. I gave up on them in the end!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 23,895 Posts
    • 50,116 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    In the limited time I had, I bought an amazing formal dress - indigo velvet and taffeta - for my young niece for when she is older, and a sheer work blues for myself
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I wore this today and felt like a million pounds! It was so stylish and smart, not at all bad for a £2 chazzer find
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 3,665 Posts
    • 22,239 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    We had a trip to Otley yesterday and St Gemma's didn't let me down. Found myself a lovely smart cardigan by Lakeland. It looked brand new. Got Mr TA a black v neck sweater from the M & S Collezione range (100% merino wool) which also looked brand new, and he is well happy with it. You can't go wrong at 99p each. There was a pair of shoes there I would have loved but sadly too big for my small feet. Needless to say a couple of books found their way in my bag too to add to my stockpile.

I wandered into the Oxfam shop and saw a black trenchcoat by Jaeger, priced at £24.99!! Silly money but I couldn't resist trying it on! Fortunately it was all but sweeping the floor on me so went back on the rack!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Miró
    • By Miró 12th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 5,485 Posts
    • 22,935 Thanks
    Miró
    We had a trip to Otley yesterday and St Gemma's didn't let me down. Found myself a lovely smart cardigan by Lakeland. It looked brand new. Got Mr TA a black v neck sweater from the M & S Collezione range (100% merino wool) which also looked brand new, and he is well happy with it. You can't go wrong at 99p each. There was a pair of shoes there I would have loved but sadly too big for my small feet. Needless to say a couple of books found their way in my bag too to add to my stockpile.

I wandered into the Oxfam shop and saw a black trenchcoat by Jaeger, priced at £24.99!! Silly money but I couldn't resist trying it on! Fortunately it was all but sweeping the floor on me so went back on the rack!
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    Some nice finds there! I was intending visiting St Gemmas yesterday too but bloomin' Amazon decided to deliver a parcel and I ended up waiting in till tea time for it.

Today's visit to the community chazza found me a pair of 3/4 trousers from Peacocks, as new in an amethyst colour, £1.50 (got the perfect cotton lawn top to go with them) and a new, with tags, black and white striped T shirt from New Look with elbow length sleeves, £1. (will be perfect with my eye mask and swag bag) Not exactly premium brands but quite nice quality anyhoo!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 12th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Extra long length white linen trousers vgc £1.50 . That was half price.
    A Phase Eight drapery top in Black and Tan £2.25
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 12th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I tried those once. I put them in for the amount of time suggested and the eggs were runny still. I doubled the time and the eggs were still pretty runny. I gave up on them in the end!
    Originally posted by Hermia
    Thanks for the warning, Hermia. I'll try with a wide frying pan of water with the glass lid on and see if I can steam them
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 55,212 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    In the past week I've bought two pairs of brand new shoes at different charity shops - a pair of MS Footglove strappy slingback sandals (I paid £1.99, similar on their website are priced at £35) and a pair of New Look low-heeled slingback shoes for £4 which will do very nicely for work throughout the summer.

Also a BNWT bathmat in cream for £1.99.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 13th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Art Deco

MY weakness is black trousers I'm always on the look out for the perfect pair. To this end I must have at least 25 pairs,

Does anyone else have something that they just cannot resist buying??
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Same here the hospital where I nurse only supply us with a uniform top we have to buy the trousers ourselves (NHS cutbacks!!) I need a clean pair every shift ,so everytime I see a pair of decent long length slim Next/M&S black trousers I have to have them!! getting daft now I must have about 30 pairs but at £1 or £2 each its so much cheaper then buying one pair from a normal shop,oh and Regatta coats I like one in every colour
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 13th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 4,148 Posts
    • 28,557 Thanks
    tessie bear
    my thing is pink tops/t shirts love them i have boxes full all slightly different but for the top half and pink...does anyone else take great delight in looking at a t shirt and informing their partner ( who in my case is there under sufference ) that im sure that has never been worn.....simple pleasures
    on the brink...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 18,278 Posts
    • 46,770 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm an inside label checker.

Great indication of how much it's been washed.

And if I find something I want to buy that still has the paper inspection circle on - deep joy!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Jul 17, 3:47 PM
    • 3,999 Posts
    • 32,643 Thanks
    Floss
    I picked up a Next pale blue linen cardi with tags for £2.99 today, along with a copy of HFW's Just Three Things (£2)which has been snuck into the cook book cupboard

Last week I found a gorgeous woven large beach-type basket for £2, which was used today to carry my donated books into town & my shopping home again
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 13th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 8,266 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Same here the hospital where I nurse only supply us with a uniform top we have to buy the trousers ourselves (NHS cutbacks!!) I need a clean pair every shift ,so everytime I see a pair of decent long length slim Next/M&S black trousers I have to have them!! getting daft now I must have about 30 pairs but at £1 or £2 each its so much cheaper then buying one pair from a normal shop,oh and Regatta coats I like one in every colour
    Originally posted by Art Deco

At least they supply the top! My hospital only supplies uniform to certain departments, OR, Dialysis, Sterile Processing, DI. The rest of us floor/ward/clinic nurses have to buy it all
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jul 17, 7:31 PM
    • 18,278 Posts
    • 46,770 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Bought a piece of Denby from our hospice shop.

Info for DigforVictory :
    It's in the Glynbourne range (1960s), the product description is GB872 bowl 8" diameter retail price 22 shillings and sixpence.

It's the only piece in the range that I'd not got - until now.

I paid £5.00.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 23,895 Posts
    • 50,116 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    My book addiction lead me to a new chazzer (to me) yesterday. One of the blessings of central London is that chazzers are open until 6pm

So in addition to some really unusual books, I managed to pick this up as part of a deal:

Selling for a ridiculous £9.99 + £16.83 additional costs on eBay

Am looking forward to making "gingerbread" cakes with my dear niece over the summer.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Miró
    • By Miró 14th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 5,485 Posts
    • 22,935 Thanks
    Miró
    Finally got to the chazza shops in Otley this week tho must remember never to go on a Friday again as it's market day and the town is packed!

Anyhoo, got a couple of 99p things....an M & S fine jersey, long sleeved T shirt in an oatmeal colour and a Craghoppers 'SolarDry' walking shirt, also in oatmeal.

Also saw a beaooootiful Batty Jackson 100% linen, sleeveless, fitted dress in a flowery black & white pattern with a self belt. It would have been at least one size, possibly two sizes too big but I worked out how I could take it in down the sides, then noticed the split in the centre back of the skirt and saw it was a little torn. I could probably have fixed that too but I must be wearing my sensible* hat today cos I decided that the price of £10.99 was too much for an item that required all that work!!

* proud!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 18,278 Posts
    • 46,770 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've just seen & rejected a M&S Indigo maxi dress, quite casual and lovely bright colours and nice feeling fabric but it had been taken up badly and unevenly.

I might have succumbed if it hadn't been £7.99 (in Age Concern).
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 7,148 Posts
    • 19,464 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Info for DigforVictory :
    It's in the Glynbourne range (1960s), the product description is GB872 bowl 8" diameter retail price 22 shillings and sixpence.

It's the only piece in the range that I'd not got - until now.

I paid £5.00.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Just wow - well done that woman! (and I might add, checking the auction house prices, what a *pension* you have there!) I happily devour armfuls of manor green (along with anything else with a recognisable stamp) which is not unlike collecting penny pieces (though a bit trickier to store), but since I've got rather a lot of the stuff so far & no intention of quitting I don't think my family quite twig it will come in handy when they've my body to dispose of.

Just found an old charity shop delight - utterly tasteless but very funny elephant mask thong. Husband spotted it, guffawed mightily, and handed it plus the whole pound coin to the eldest who (blushing hugely) went/was shoved to pay the nice lady for it. I wasn't there, but the tale Lost Nothing In The Telling - I'm not sure whether to believe in the delightful damsel who herself blushed to match or whether it was in fact a vintage matron who accepted the article, beamed mischievously at the huddled menfolk and ensured he had the entire one pence change before resonantly encouraging the tribe to "Do Come Again, Soon!" before he fled in incoherent terror, but as I say, the tale has legs.
    I do rather wonder *where* it disappeared to & why it has now reappeared, but I've put the chill pack into the freezer so any really vigorous disputes need not lead to hideously obvious bruising. It is still term time after all.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 14th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 55,212 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Originally posted by Art Deco

You probably look (and feel) all the better for buying your own trousers - all the 'uniform trousers' I have seen don't look particularly good on anyone and the material seems very unforgiving.

I'm a fan of two-way-stretch fabric trousers that sit nicely on the waist and don't need any adjustments, for both work and leisure.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 14th Jul 17, 11:49 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Art Deco
    [QUOTE=Serendipitious;72838720]You probably look (and feel) all the better for buying your own trousers - all the 'uniform trousers' I have seen don't look particularly good on anyone and the material seems very unforgiving.
    Yes at least I can get them long enough now but the only trouble is washing them on a high wash for infection control purposes due to the nature of my job even with aprons they do come into contact with some undesirable substances! the old uniform trousers used to withstand a boil wash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

362Posts Today

4,745Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin