Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 321
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,813 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    and a frilly skirt thing
    Originally posted by dangerbadger
    You know you've grown up when you don't appreciate kids' fashions
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 9th Jul 17, 11:17 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    You know you've grown up when you don't appreciate kids' fashions
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I told her I thought it looked like the rara skirts of my youth. For that comment I initially received a withering look, followed by a lecture as to why this skirt is absolutely not a rara skirt, but something else entirely, as the thought of wearing the same clothes as I did when I was her age was clearly not to be countenanced.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 9th Jul 17, 11:36 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 10,866 Thanks
    Hermia
    I got an adorable Next Petite dress for £3. It is great quality and still had the tag on it. I was also chuffed to see that some clothes I had donated were being used in the window display. I thought it showed that I had good taste!

Ha ha! I seem to remember M & S overhauling their sizing system years ago as they said womens bodies had changed...nothing with a waist has fitted me properly ever since.
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Ah, that makes sense. For years, I used to get my work trousers from M&S. Now I find that the waist and hip measurements on their trousers are the same so they are miles too big on the waist. It is really hard to find brands that aren't just for straight up and down figures.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 10th Jul 17, 2:00 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    M&s tee BNWT £3. M£S pure silk short sleeved top BNWT £3. Fat Face top £3. 3 other M&S tees £2.50 each all as new.
    • NorfolkandGood
    • By NorfolkandGood 10th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    NorfolkandGood
    Hi all,

Latest purchases from charity shop, local jumble and car boot sale:

Quba and co full length grey viscose skirt 25p
    Still in cardboard packaging Duthie and Bull possum socks 10p
    Bumblebee transformer £1
    Baby doll in a sweet pea pod sleeping bag 50p
    Motorsport sunhat 50p

Really looking forward to trying out the socks when it gets cold!!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,813 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Today I have found myself in chazzer heaven today....Chatham! I only had a few minutes in the High Street but can confirm that there are indeed rich pickings to be had.

In the limited time I had, I bought an amazing formal dress - indigo velvet and taffeta - for my young niece for when she is older, and a sheer work blues for myself. Plus an obligatory 2 books .
    • Miró
    • By Miró 10th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 22,572 Thanks
    Miró
    Hi all,

Latest purchases from charity shop, local jumble and car boot sale:

Quba and co full length grey viscose skirt 25p
    Still in cardboard packaging Duthie and Bull possum socks 10p
    Bumblebee transformer £1
    Baby doll in a sweet pea pod sleeping bag 50p
    Motorsport sunhat 50p

Really looking forward to trying out the socks when it gets cold!!
    Originally posted by NorfolkandGood

Wow...the socks are a great find! Years ago I brought back a sweater and some gloves from New Zealand made from possum fibres. Still going strong now and soooo soft and soooo warm

This afternoon's walk found me in the community shop where I got an L K Bennett knee length sleeveless sheath dress in jade green with a cut out tapework bit at the front neckline. Made from a silk and linen* mix, hardly worn and only £4

*Gonna be a right old pain to iron tho
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • pws52
    • By pws52 11th Jul 17, 7:50 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    pws52
    Excellent finds yesterday!

M&S jumper with tags on for £4, a sweat top in the £1 rail which needs a minute repair and M&S t shirt for £1.50.

Left the shop feeling very happy but returned 30 minutes later as I had looked at a bed valance in the £1 box and put it back thinking I had no need for it.
    Further thought convinced me to return as it was 100% cotton and loads of fabric in it.
    Bought it and looked at other stuff in the box....2 double flannellette sheets and a pair of cotton curtain linings!
    £5 the lot.
    Sheets and valance boil washed...all came out lovely! Great finds!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Jul 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 49,400 Thanks
    silvasava
    Miro - maybe that was why the dress was in the CS? Might not be that bad though with the silk in it. My local CS had a beautiful Mother of the Bride outfit in the window. It probably won't sell quickly because the dress was creased across the front where you sit down - if only someone had thought to iron it before it was put on display.
    No bargains for me, just a pile of DH books to be donated but only because he wants to make room for a new author!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jul 17, 9:00 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,813 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Phase Eight sizes I think are comparable with M&S. The hierarchy as I see it (this denotes cost rather than quality):

- Karen Millen, LK Bennett
    - Hobbs, Coast, Phase Eight, M&S Autograph (<---much of my work wardrobe)
    - Monsoon, Wallis
    - Topshop

Feel free to challenge my view!
    I thought back to this post when I was wandering round a Roman store yesterday. With my business head on, I can see that the brand is trying to emulate Phase Eight styles and pitches its prices lower. At full price, they are still not cheap clothes though I can see on price alone would be enough to entice shoppers if they were looking at the two brands online and had no prior knowledge of either.

The big difference is that of quality. Roman garments are of significantly poorer quality than Phase Eight, they have a "plastic-y" feel about them. Phase Eight however have a very distinct quality about them. If choosing between the two, I would recommend buying Phase Eight in the sale instead, or better still at the chazzer.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 17, 9:41 AM
    • 17,352 Posts
    • 44,195 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I thought back to this post when I was wandering round a Roman store yesterday. With my business head on, I can see that the brand is trying to emulate Phase Eight styles and pitches its prices lower. At full price, they are still not cheap clothes though I can see on price alone would be enough to entice shoppers if they were looking at the two brands online and had no prior knowledge of either.

The big difference is that of quality. Roman garments are of significantly poorer quality than Phase Eight, they have a "plastic-y" feel about them. Phase Eight however have a very distinct quality about them. If choosing between the two, I would recommend buying Phase Eight in the sale instead, or better still at the chazzer.
    I agree.

There is no similarity in the quality of the 2 makes.
    And I don't there is any similarity in styles either - other than Roman also use large flower prints..
    • Miró
    • By Miró 11th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 22,572 Thanks
    Miró
    Phase Eight sizes I think are comparable with M&S. The hierarchy as I see it (this denotes cost rather than quality):

- Karen Millen, LK Bennett
    - Hobbs, Coast, Phase Eight, M&S Autograph (<---much of my work wardrobe)
    - Monsoon, Wallis
    - Topshop

Feel free to challenge my view!
    I pretty much agree with your 'hierarchy'. I would be interested to know where you would fit Jaegar, Ghost, Lipsy and Whistles in??

Obsessed with labels? Moi?? Nooo!!!
    • Miró
    • By Miró 11th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 22,572 Thanks
    Miró
    Miro - maybe that was why the dress was in the CS? Might not be that bad though with the silk in it. My local CS had a beautiful Mother of the Bride outfit in the window. It probably won't sell quickly because the dress was creased across the front where you sit down - if only someone had thought to iron it before it was put on display.
    No bargains for me, just a pile of DH books to be donated but only because he wants to make room for a new author!
    Originally posted by silvasava

I think you may be right! The dress looked pristine in the chazza shop, (think they must have pressed it), but by the time I got it home it was looking rather sorry for itself. Quick spritz with the steam iron soon sorted it though. I guess it will be one to add to my collection of 'evening out only' outfits, (along with all the ridiculously high heels), rather than an 'all day' dress! I am surprised at how big L K Bennett sizes are - I could have got away with a size smaller than my usual....found this also with a pencil skirt of theirs a while back.

Miserable rainy day here today so think a trip to my current favourite 99p chazza in Otley is in order.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 49,400 Thanks
    silvasava
    Good hunting Miro!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • C J
    • By C J 11th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    C J
    A pair of Hotter Nirvana shoes, brand new and still with the tags on, from the Sally Army shop for £5 (they retail at £65 so I'm very happy!)
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 17,352 Posts
    • 44,195 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A pair of Hotter Nirvana shoes, brand new and still with the tags on, from the Sally Army shop for £5 (they retail at £65 so I'm very happy!)
    Originally posted by C J
    Just a word of warning re your shoes:
    Thete have been threads on the PV & W board and posts on this thread too about the soles of Hotter, Ecco & Clarks shoes disintegrating if not worn.
    On my phone at the moment so can't post links but will find later if you want.
    • C J
    • By C J 11th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    C J
    Yes, I remember reading those threads too - but for a fiver, I don't think I'll mind too much. I needed some flat shoes as I have a temporary foot problem and need something comfortable until it's healed so these will be fine - but thanks for the warning/reminder! I'd be unhappy if I'd paid full price and they fell apart though
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,813 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I agree.

There is no similarity in the quality of the 2 makes.
    And I don't there is any similarity in styles either - other than Roman also use large flower prints..
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    There has been a definite change in Roman "style". They are attempting to rip off Phase Eight IMO and making an exceedingly bad fist of it.
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 11th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Hi.
    I read with interest the posts on creased clothes. I volunteer at a charity shop and there are two us the debag and size and tag and one lady who steams. All the clothes are hung up and she places the 'iron' (I don't know what to call it) and the creases fall away. I must admit though there are days when it seems like a sweat shopbut great in the winter.
    I must admit volunteering in a charity shop did cut back my shopping as I had to start asking myself do I really really need it.
    It doesn't stop me looking at all the bargains.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 11th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 10,866 Thanks
    Hermia

The only Roman store I have been to is the one in Clark's Village. Even though everything was really cheap I did not buy anything as it was just so dreary.

My brand hierarchy is purely about whether it fits me! I won't hear a word against Wallis purely because their petite work suits fit me so well. I actually went into a tiny local charity shop yesterday and they had several petite range items from good brands so I am assuming a fellow gnome has been decluttering her wardrobe. I think I will have to pop in again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

930Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter