Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 320
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Jul 17, 3:52 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,811 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I always associate reading on the iPad / Kindle with work and CPD. Hard copy books are for pleasure.

Anyway, I didn't find quite what I was looking for in today's chazzer, but between us, my Mum and I picked up some handy small pieces for the kitchen, and the ladies running the place are absolutely lovely! Most of the floorspace is taken up by some really beautiful furniture, I'd recommend that anyone in the South Essex area does visit the hopeworx re-use centre.

I did source another bookcase in the end, and it's going up when I get home today.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 7th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 18,507 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    See? The Fates wanted you to have More Bookcasing.

It doesn't do to try to thwart them.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 7th Jul 17, 3:44 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 22,567 Thanks
    Miró
    I'm afraid books don't really grab my attention unless they are travel guides for somewhere I'm thinking of going on holiday. Spent too much time having to read stuff at uni and then at work for it to be a pleasure these days

MY weakness is black trousers I'm always on the look out for the perfect pair. To this end I must have at least 25 pairs, all different fabrics, leg lengths and widths, pockets in different places, high waisted, low rise etc etc. They really could do with a wardrobe of their own! So, what did I buy today, ahem, a pair of Autograph, slim legged black trousers in a lovely fabric, hardly worn, £3 in the community chazza.

Does anyone else have something that they just cannot resist buying??
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Frith
    • By Frith 7th Jul 17, 3:55 PM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 38,598 Thanks
    Frith
    A trip to Cleobury then Ludlow for son and me today.

Blue Seasalt top for me, almost a smock -£3.

Turquoise blue Superdry hoodie for son

Pinkish cotton Fatface shorts for son
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 7th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    Artytarty
    I like Saezalt , there's a shop near me sells it but I usually resist as it is pricey!
    Nice find.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 7th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 18,017 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Got 2 pairs of M&S trousers for £3 each. Will wear them for temp work.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 7th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 9,912 Posts
    • 15,534 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    I'm afraid books don't really grab my attention unless they are travel guides for somewhere I'm thinking of going on holiday. Spent too much time having to read stuff at uni and then at work for it to be a pleasure these days

MY weakness is black trousers I'm always on the look out for the perfect pair. To this end I must have at least 25 pairs, all different fabrics, leg lengths and widths, pockets in different places, high waisted, low rise etc etc. They really could do with a wardrobe of their own! So, what did I buy today, ahem, a pair of Autograph, slim legged black trousers in a lovely fabric, hardly worn, £3 in the community chazza.

Does anyone else have something that they just cannot resist buying??
    Originally posted by Mir!
    I'm like that with dark blue, straight leg denims. However many I have (totally lost count these days) if I spot a nice pair and they are less than a fiver they find their way home with me.

So many rails of denims only have stupidly flared or "boot cut" ones (why so much "boot cut", when we only wear boots for a few months of the year?), ones that hang from the hips instead of the waist and have a tiny three-inch zip, pre-faded, pre-creased or pre-ripped ones, ones with sparkly stuff on them, ones with really wide unflattering legs... How hard is it to produce the perfect pair of denims that suits most women?

I tend to buy ones that fit well everywhere else, even if they are a bit too long, and consequently have a permanent pile of jeans waiting to be turned up!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Miró
    • By Miró 7th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 22,567 Thanks
    Miró
    I'm like that with dark blue, straight leg denims. However many I have (totally lost count these days) if I spot a nice pair and they are less than a fiver they find their way home with me.

So many rails of denims only have stupidly flared or "boot cut" ones (why so much "boot cut", when we only wear boots for a few months of the year?), ones that hang from the hips instead of the waist and have a tiny three-inch zip, pre-faded, pre-creased or pre-ripped ones, ones with sparkly stuff on them, ones with really wide unflattering legs... How hard is it to produce the perfect pair of denims that suits most women?

I tend to buy ones that fit well everywhere else, even if they are a bit too long, and consequently have a permanent pile of jeans waiting to be turned up!
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    That would be my No 2 obsession! I am so with you re the fit....why can't we find ones that fit to the waist, (so no 'muffin top'), nice slimmish legs without looking like the dreaded skintight 'jeggings, no twiddly bits like embroidery, a decent length zip that you don't catch your fingernails in, good quality dark plain denim, (no ice wash or stone wash, no rips, no fraying), a little stretch but not too much so we get a bit of support over the tummy area. Gawd, why don't the manufacturers listen to us??? Yonks ago M & S jeans & trousers fitted me perfectly now the waist is always too big by about 3 - 4 ins! Phew, feel better after that little rant....tee hee.

No 3 obsession.....plain white T shirts....!
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 7th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    Artytarty
    If it says made of 100% pure silk I can't resist it!
    Or pure wool in Winter.
    I like natural fabrics.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 8th Jul 17, 7:13 AM
    • 3,534 Posts
    • 20,414 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Artytarty I am still kicking myself for not buying a pure silk shawl I spotted in Oxfam in Ripon earlier this week! It had a peacock on it and, after much deliberating, I decided I couldn't visualise myself ever using it. I probably wouldn't have but still regret not buying it!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jul 17, 8:57 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,811 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yonks ago M & S jeans & trousers fitted me perfectly now the waist is always too big by about 3 - 4 ins!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Simple solution, eat more doughnuts

If it says made of 100% pure silk I can't resist it!
    Or pure wool in Winter.
    I like natural fabrics.
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Me too, nothing synthetic. Unfortunately so do moths! I live in fear of unwanted vistors flying in through open windows and destroying stuff if I use a light at night time.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 17, 9:11 AM
    • 17,339 Posts
    • 44,153 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Artytarty I am still kicking myself for not buying a pure silk shawl I spotted in Oxfam in Ripon earlier this week! It had a peacock on it and, after much deliberating, I decided I couldn't visualise myself ever using it. I probably wouldn't have but still regret not buying it!
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    That sounds fabulous!

I love peacocks, I'm going to have a peacock coffin (seriously).

The combination of 'pure silk', 'peacock' and 'shawl' would have had me scrabbling for my purse whilst hyperventilating in case someone came along and stole it from under my nose.
    How much was it?

My latest buy was a Tu jersey short dress which will be great as a day dress on our next Greek holiday.
    Lovely colours of jade with pale and vivid pink chrysanthemums on it. £3.00.
    I know Tu isn't an expensive make but the quality of their jersey matches Per Una & Monsoon imho.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,811 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I love peacocks
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I'd like them a lot more if they came with a "mute" button. Their screeching sets my teeth on edge.

• Miró
    • By Miró 8th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 22,567 Thanks
    Miró
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    Sometimes it's nice just to 'own' something really special like that even if it has no practical purpose at all. Mebbe one day you might have come across a nice grand piano in a chazza that you could have artfully draped the shawl across!

Simple solution, eat more doughnuts

Me too, nothing synthetic. Unfortunately so do moths! I live in fear of unwanted vistors flying in through open windows and destroying stuff if I use a light at night time.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Ha ha! I seem to remember M & S overhauling their sizing system years ago as they said womens bodies had changed...nothing with a waist has fitted me properly ever since. I spent last night chasing a teeny tiny moth around the hall* all the while muttering 'don't you dare go anywhere near my cashmere!'.....(chazza cashmere of course!)

* Never did catch it
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 17,339 Posts
    • 44,153 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'd like them a lot more if they came with a "mute" button. Their screeching sets my teeth on edge.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Yes, they are somewhat vocal.

And pretty impressive in flight too.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 7,362 Posts
    • 7,748 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    The local library has thrown out their copy of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary 2nd Edition (£716 on Amazon) and it's in the charity recycling shop at £10 a volume.

Unfortunately only 16 of the 20 volumes are present. Don't know what happened to the other 4 or why anyone would want to sell or buy the volumes separately.

Instead I bought a 2-volume Oxford Shorter Dic'y for 50p.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    coffeehound
    That's the grand prize on Countdown isn't it. How daft that someone broke up the set
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,811 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    That's the grand prize on Countdown isn't it. How daft that someone broke up the set
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Its bound to have been someone who doesn't appreciate the power of language.

Yesterday I was in Hackney, so it seemed rude not to investigate the chazzer situation There were 3 in close vicinity, and all of them were overpriced (with the exception of one for books). Crisis I have to say was the worst, its book prices are even higher than Oxfam bookdstore in Marylebone. I came away with 4 books, and other 4 from Chigwell later that day for a total of £2.80.
    • Ballymackeonan
    • By Ballymackeonan 9th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Ballymackeonan
    A couple of really good purchases yesterday - the "year at Avoca" cookbook (an Irish restaurant chain) with some great recipes and obviously never used in anger - or in a kitchen, for that matter - was £1, lowest price on Amazon was over £16 secondhand. I will definitely be using it! Plus the complete box set of Angel for £3 (Ebay £37.50 -£45.00) and a handpainted silk scarf by a local designer for £1.

After a few months where there were slim pickings, things appeared to have turned, although very few clothes that I'd go for (I'm restricting myself to things that are better than what I have already, and anything I buy has to be marched by a donation to a chazzer to control the size of the wardrobe!)
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 9th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    My 13 yr old daughter and I had to travel to Liverpool yesterday to see family. We decided to stop off in Glossop on the way, where we found 7 charity shops on a short stretch of the High Street. Nothing was that cheap, but it came up trumps for brands that the child declared she absolutely needed to have. She got a dress and a hoodie that were Topshop, an H&M t-shirt and denim skirt, a Hollister long sleeve top, a dress from Forever 21 and a frilly skirt thing from New Look. The total for all 7 bits was £19, so she's a very happy bunny indeed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

8,115Users online

Martin's Twitter