Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 314
    • janb5
    • By janb5 14th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 1,770 Posts
    • 6,334 Thanks
    janb5
    I have a Per Una dress in a grey soft cotton material and a little garden table that folds up.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 14th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 19,342 Posts
    • 31,282 Thanks
    Spendless
    I made it to the Oxfam shop near my work place and got a shirt for Les Mis for £1.99.

The sales assistant commented on the lovely feel of the fabric and looked in the label and said 'oh it's a Tom Joules one that's why'. (I'd never heard of it and decided against telling her I was contemplating chopping the collar off so to look more 'grandad style')

2 items left to get, french flag and nuns outfit, so will have to resort to ebay for them. This weekend ear-marked for costume trying on. Will come back here with my costings once finished.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 16th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Sage photo easy 260 never been out of the box by the look of it as everything still in original plastic. £5.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jun 17, 10:34 AM
    • 16,658 Posts
    • 41,801 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Wish me luck!

Just come back from 2 weeks holiday (so suffering bargain withdrawal symptoms) and as part of the putting holiday clothes away chore, I've had a really good clear-out of clothes, bags, shoes, jewellery - think 4 shopping trolley loads (not the supermarket ones, the pull-along ones with 2 wheels).

I'm on my way to take the first load to the local Hospice shop and will check out what's new in there - as well as the other 2 charity shops nearby.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 16th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 5,363 Posts
    • 22,249 Thanks
    Miró
    Have called into one chazza or another every single day this week but have managed to limit myself to a couple of things that will be useful and one that I really love.....*proud*!!

A taupe, scoopy necked M & S T-shirt, as new and with those sleeves that stop just above the elbow, (my favourite!) from BHF £2.29

A BNWT jade green long sleeved M & S, 'Special Collection' T-shirt, also from BHF, £2.79 (price tag said £15)

My best find.....a Phase Eight sleeveless dress, v-necked at back and front, fitted waist with a wide self-belt and a calf length circle skirt, (think 50's stylee) in a soft cotton fabric with a silky finish in grey with small pink spots. Fully lined and with a net underskirt attached too. Supposedly a size too small but fits perfectly....I feel the need for heels and a swishy Marilyn Monroe-type wiggle walk! £1.99 from the DEBRA chazza. What I love about charity shops is being able to try a style like this that I would not have dared to try if I was paying a normal shop price. Will be wearing it tomorrow if the promised heatwave happens!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 16th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 11,741 Posts
    • 11,143 Thanks
    Chris25
    Sage photo easy 260 never been out of the box by the look of it as everything still in original plastic. £5.
    Originally posted by Sayschezza
    I had no idea what that was - had to look it up. Looks like you got a great bargain
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 16,658 Posts
    • 41,801 Thanks
    Pollycat

My best find.....a Phase Eight sleeveless dress, v-necked at back and front, fitted waist with a wide self-belt and a calf length circle skirt, (think 50's stylee) in a soft cotton fabric with a silky finish in grey with small pink spots. Fully lined and with a net underskirt attached too. Supposedly a size too small but fits perfectly....I feel the need for heels and a swishy Marilyn Monroe-type wiggle walk! £1.99 from the DEBRA chazza. What I love about charity shops is being able to try a style like this that I would not have dared to try if I was paying a normal shop price. Will be wearing it tomorrow if the promised heatwave happens!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Sounds fab and a bargain with a capital B.
    Lucky with the fit, I find Phase Eight dresses come up on the small side.

Phew!
    Managed to get home without buying anything.
    Am having a right good clearout & am going to try to only buy 'I must have it' items.
    Wish me luck.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jun 17, 8:22 AM
    • 22,645 Posts
    • 46,956 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Well done on the Phase Eight bargain, Mir!! I love that brand, feminine but smart.
    Have called into one chazza or another every single day this week but have managed to limit myself to a couple of things that will be useful and one that I really love.....*proud*!!
    Yesterday I was supposed to be popping into the library but ended up in several chazzers instead. I challenged myself this morning as to not only did these items bring me any joy, but whether I could actually remember any of them without looking at the stash again. I'd made a mental note of spending around £22.50.

So my items were:

Chazzer 1: 2 dresses for my niece, one a white everyday tunic dress that can then be worn over trousers as she grows (provided she stays slim!) for £2, and one a very smart lined and beaded summer party dress for when she is bigger (5/6) for £3.50. I checked they can be returned should my fusspot sister reject them, but this is highly unlikely. No books.

Chazzer 2: null points.

Chazzer 3: no books, but I spotted another super smart dress for my niece for when she is considerably older (8/9) for £3

Chazzer 4: 2 books at £1 each, one an anthology of plays for research purposes, and the other a Haruki Murakami Hardback Plus 2 cards @25p each.

Chazzer 5: Was a Barnados, I'd seen a new item sale sign in the window in another branch and this trip to my local was intended to be my treat! Nothing for the home but I bought 3 books at 99p each - 2 for my niece including one on mnenomics, and one an encyclopaedia of animals, and a BN looking Ted Hughes anthology), and 2 hardbacks - one a Desmond Morris for £1.99, the other a coffee table book on facial expressions co-authored by John Cleese for £1.49. I'll find it interesting, but will also use it to instil some emotional intelligence into my niece, early.

Chazzer 6: by this time my shopping bag was full to bursting, and very weighty. Yet I managed to drag myself to another shop, buy yet another dress for my niece that was just too cute to resist for £2.50. I instructed my sister to get it laundered today so she can wear it on Father's Day tomorrow. On the way out a set of jewellery caught my eye v similar to the below, but in an unusual burgundy colour, so I bought that too for £5. Definitely a want but I'll probably never use it and give it away too!

So my total spend was in fact £24.95, on stuff I never knew I needed
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • patricia50
    • By patricia50 17th Jun 17, 8:23 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    patricia50
    I've bought quite a few bits from the chazza's this week but one of my best finds was an Emma Bridgewater mug for £1. I was really chuffed to have my first piece of EB for £1 but when I looked on eBay and saw one the same had sold for £74 I decided to part with it. I think it's a fairly rare one so needs must and all that
    • Miró
    • By Miró 17th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 5,363 Posts
    • 22,249 Thanks
    Miró
    Sounds fab and a bargain with a capital B.
    Lucky with the fit, I find Phase Eight dresses come up on the small side.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Well done on the Phase Eight bargain, Mir!! I love that brand, feminine but smart.

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I've never had anything from Phase Eight before but I must say I'm impressed with the quality. Was just wondering where they fit into the fashion hierarchy? Are they more Hobbs, LK Bennett, Coast, Karen Millen or Monsoon, Next, M & S, Wallis, Topshop??? Their retail prices seem anything from about £55 to £150. Anyone else find their sizes are on the small side as I will deffo be looking out for this brand in the future.

'The' dress is all washed and pressed now and it's come up a treat. So pleased!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 22,645 Posts
    • 46,956 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I've never had anything from Phase Eight before but I must say I'm impressed with the quality. Was just wondering where they fit into the fashion hierarchy? Are they more Hobbs, LK Bennett, Coast, Karen Millen or Monsoon, Next, M & S, Wallis, Topshop???

'The' dress is all washed and pressed now and it's come up a treat. So pleased!
    Phase Eight sizes I think are comparable with M&S. The hierarchy as I see it (this denotes cost rather than quality):

- Karen Millen, LK Bennett
    - Hobbs, Coast, Phase Eight, M&S Autograph (<---much of my work wardrobe)
    - Monsoon, Wallis
    - Topshop

Feel free to challenge my view!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 27,609 Thanks
    Floss
    Phase Eight dresses are always a snug size, I have always gone for the next size up (as advised by one of their salesladies, my DSiL). Maxi dresses are true to size however, as are jumpers. I always keep my eyes out for their dresses, but they often have good reductions online too.
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 17th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 2,070 Thanks
    2childmum
    I have been looking out for a thin summer cardigan in red for a while, and I found one for £3.99, but it was only a cheap make originally so I have been hanging on to see if it would make the reduced rail - unfortunately not, but I have looked at it several times now and as it will go with more than one outfit I finally bought it at full price. There doesn't seem to be any red in the shops at the moment, so now I have it home I am pleased with it.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • CathA
    • By CathA 17th Jun 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 4,078 Thanks
    CathA
    We went to town today with a plan to get an overnight bag for hubby. Thought we'd just pop into Barnardos to see if they had one and lo and behold-someone had just bought in a pile of stuff with an overnight bag on top! Looks pretty new - £1.99!! I only had £1.98 in change and she said that'll do, so good times had by all.
    • patricia50
    • By patricia50 18th Jun 17, 11:41 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    patricia50
    Among my stack of bargains I bought this week was a new tub of Origins ginger bath float for £2 This stuff is pretty expensive. I'm just going to try it out. The product feels very rich and creamy and I love ginger
    • Miró
    • By Miró 19th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 5,363 Posts
    • 22,249 Thanks
    Miró
    Wasn't going to go out today due to the heat but then figured I really needed the exercise so 'somehow' I ended up in the community chazza. Came away with a box of 4 hand blown crystal wine glasses from Pier for £1.50 and a Japanese, silk covered photo album in turquoise with pink chrysanthemums, also £1.50....just perfect for the stamps I collected on my trip to Japan last year

What made things even sweeter was that I found a £2 coin on the pavement on my way there and also I was able to redeem a voucher for a free pack of Huggies wipes in Waitrose worth £1.50. (Voucher deets posted on Elite11+ thread thanks to hampydoodums)
    • Potternerd
    • By Potternerd 21st Jun 17, 8:36 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Potternerd
    I love Emma Bridgewater too, but only ever buy it from charity shops where I've found some great bargains.

Recent hauls include:
    For DS an Umbro sweatshirt and Fred Perry zip up top for 99p each and an Addidas sweatshirt for £5 all in v good condition.
    For me an Esprit Gillette for £1, a Gap denim skirt for £2 and some green wedges for my summer hols for £7. Oh and a Kath Kidston purse for £1.
    A big bag of stuff to take to local hospice shop this afternoon so the chance for another browse!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 16,658 Posts
    • 41,801 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A short, short-sleeved cardigan in a dark coral.
    It has lovely detailing down the front and back and down the sleeves and a fancy gathered bit at the waist.

The label in it says 'Limited Collection'.
    There's no 'proper' size label, it looks like a sample.
    The label says 'Cooper & Roe' which I understand used to be a M&S supplier.
    £2.99.

Also 2 shot glasses from Talisker Brewery.
    I've been looking a for a couple of these since we came back from Greece to drink some Raki. 49p

Both from Oxfam.

Have seen a piece of Denby ( DigForVictory ) in our local hospice shop.
    It's from a range they did in the 1990s, hand painted (usually marked 'Lyn' who was one of their 'paintresses').
    It's a storage jar but missing the lid.
    I have 6 pieces of this in my kitchen that we bought from the Denby Factory shop, it's painted with tomatoes, aubergines and peas.
    Pondering whether I could use it as a planter for one of my tall cacti or Mother-in=law's tongue.
    I must have stood for 5 minutes with it in my hand yesterday in the shop, as I ran through what I'd already got on my kitchen windowsill.
    If it's still there tomorrow when I go into town, I'll buy it. I think.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 21st Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Harrods purse as new £2
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 21st Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 2,984 Posts
    • 47,561 Thanks
    silvasava
    Polly - could you use the Denby as a holder for kitchen utensils? I've got two (not Denby!) - one either side of my hob. One holds all the wooden implements and the other all the non stick stuff.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,840Posts Today

8,914Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin