Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 313
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 8th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 12,713 Posts
    • 12,443 Thanks
    Chris25
    I got some odds & ends of china plates, saucers, and sugar bowls - all 50p each. I also got a 2 tiered china cake plate for £3 or £3.50, can't remember now
    • Miró
    • By Miró 10th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 5,488 Posts
    • 22,963 Thanks
    Miró
    Called into my local DEBRA charity shop yesterday and came out with another dress. Was inspired by some peeps comments about the good quality of some supermarket clothes so I looked hard at this F & F dress after being attracted by the smart colours, (black and tan). Tis jersey and in that 'knotted front' stylee, very comfy to wear. Twas a size bigger than I usually take but I could tell it was on the small side and even if a bit loose would have been OK cos of the style. £1.99 as is everything in the shop.....great if buying a dress but not so good for a T shirt!
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Valli
    • By Valli 10th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 228,732 Thanks
    Valli
    I'm going into town later and am desperately invoking the CS fairies for some size 14 'bottoms' - trousers probably as my size 16 are falling down and my wardrobe is beginning to resemble Mother Hubbard's cupboard.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 19,636 Posts
    • 31,717 Thanks
    Spendless
    Been on a route march of CS today. I'm still hunting the Les Mis costumes for DD. Am nearly there.

She needs a dark military style jacket. I was sent a suggestion for one costing £25! For one song! No way!

Fortunately one found in CS £4.50

Wing collared shirt £3

I also found a perfect (IMO) frilled, vintage style, large frilled sleeves and that was £1. DD insists it is wrong for the scene though, because she goes straight from one song to another as a different character.

Going to have a look at what she's got and decide if it is right or can be adapted. CS said I could return, but for £1, I'm sure one of the other drama students could wear it if DD isn't.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 51,795 Thanks
    silvasava
    Lovely M&S hounds tooth check straight skirt with afaux leather waistband for£1.50 in a new to me CS.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Valli
    • By Valli 10th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 20,134 Posts
    • 228,732 Thanks
    Valli
    trousers found in Age UK Maine (Debenhams) nice, light summer weight for £4.99 also picked up a Next top - looks unworn for £2.99

Not cheapy cheap but better than shop prices
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • C J
    • By C J 10th Jun 17, 10:12 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 5,479 Thanks
    C J
    Went to the big outdoor charity shop sale I regularly attend each month, and had a lovely time. Spent about £20, and for that I got:

1 x oblong Pyrex glass baking dish

2 x small square porcelain dishes decorated with pictures of coins. These are intended as somewhere for chaps to put the loose change out of their pockets before bed I think, and were brand new and boxed (they are destined to be Christmas stocking fillers)

1 x electric steam mop

1 x brand new hardback book about electric guitars (a perfect Christmas present for son in law)

1 x "make your own lemonade or elderflower cordial" metal bucket from Sophie Conran (shiny metal outside, lime green inside) complete with four clip top Kilner bottles, a muslin cloth and a silicone funnel. All brand new, and with recipe leaflet

1 x Prym circular knitting machine. This is a hand cranked thing, not electric, and I used to have one a few years back but accidentally dropped and broke it, clumsy me.

1 x Lindam fabric stair gate (handy for when new grandson comes to stay, once he starts to get mobile

1 x pair beautifully soft black leather gloves

1 x small black leather coin purse

Things for my daughter's class at school (she will be teaching Year 1 in September, and she sent me a long list of resources I should look out for). I got about a dozen lovely books, a complete boxed set of Horrible Science magazines, stacks of dressing up clothes (a king's red velvet cape and matching crown, cowboy outfit, Frozen Anna coronation dress, doctor's uniform, pink ELC vet outfit, Spanish flamenco dress, knight's outfit and 2 firefighter jackets with plastic helmets).

I also bought a smashing black leather effect briefcase and three pretty handbags for the dressing up box. They let me have the briefcase for 50p because it was locked shut and nobody knew the combination to open it. Mister CJ managed to crack this in about 20 seconds flat, and we discovered inside two brand new sealed packs of curtain linings - how random!

All in all, a very good haul and a lot of fun.
    Last edited by C J; 10-06-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jun 17, 2:34 PM
    • 23,940 Posts
    • 50,245 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    ^^Total chazzer envy! (Promises herself that she WILL get to Nettlebed this summer).

Yesterday I bought another 7 books, at 3/£1 (including Wagamama's and Madhur Jaffray's cookbooks) and £1 each, I was pleased to pay this for an Alain de Botton, "Crime and Punishment" and Gandhi's autobiography, which I can't wait to read!

I also bought a good quality summer dress for my 2yo dear niece for £1.99, in a lovely green shade with butterflies and flowers, which she is wild about. She's such a girl, I showed it to her this morning and she wanted to wear it straight away! It been washed and is drying outside atm. I had to content her with doing her hair like Elsa instead

Also a stainless steel kitchen hack....not sure whether it's a garlic crusher or a squeezer for lemon wedges but it's and interesting design, and I think could serve reasonably well as an instrument of torture

And lastly a BNWT piece of jewellery from M&S Autograph, original price £15 and mine for £5.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • rosie51
    • By rosie51 11th Jun 17, 3:42 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    rosie51
    Can i join the thread please?
    I got 2 new double throws for my sofas £6
    Table cloth 50p
    2 summer M & S tops £4 for both
    Pretty pillowcase as fabric lovely to use for patchwork 50p
    Fruit bowl £2
    Beaded door curtain £2
    Love a bargin.
    No money, no worry. I am alive and that is all that matters

2017 Makes from stash
    7/100
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 23,940 Posts
    • 50,245 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Downed tools at 4pm today, stuck my sweats and trainers on and got walking - stopping by at a chazzer in the process. I had just 5 minutes before closing to browse, so naturally honed in on the selection of books

I unexpectedly found a book by a campaigner I've heard many times on the radio, and was chatting to the volunteer about it. She paid me a really nice compliment so I can see myself heading back in that direction again
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 12th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 12,713 Posts
    • 12,443 Thanks
    Chris25
    wow, CJ, what a fantastic haul.

I got 5 books for £1. I have promised myself that these will be the last books I buy until I have read most of the ones piling up beside my bed & stacked in the hall. I know they're cheap but they're starting to clutter-up the house! (who am I kidding - they've been cluttering it for years )
    • Doinfine
    • By Doinfine 12th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Doinfine
    What did you decide? I would definitely keep it - sounds lovely.
    • Doinfine
    • By Doinfine 12th Jun 17, 8:54 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Doinfine
    From my local Oxfam a sheepskin rug - looked brand new and £15 ! 😍
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 13th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    2childmum
    DH broke our sugar bowl a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't been able to see one I like, but today I got a hand sponged motley blue one which will match my blue kitchen, with a lid and a big enough opening to get a spoon in and out for 99p. Very happy. Especially as it was in the more expensive CS.Just have to remember not to put it in the dishwasher!
    Interestingly the more expensive CS had a lot of clothes etc reduced - obviously not selling at the price they are asking. Nothing for me unfortunately. I do have my eye on a red cardigan, but I'm not prepared to pay the money they are asking, and as yet it's not reduced. I live in hope!
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 13th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 19,636 Posts
    • 31,717 Thanks
    Spendless
    Having discovered the other week that the Oxfam shop has moved close to where I work, I decided to go today after I finished. Only with 10minutes till my finish time, I got sent a time consuming email demand from a fussy customer. 45 minutes later.... Just as well the chazzer shuts early and I wouldn't have caught it anyway. Going to ask my boss tomorrow if I can have slightly longer for lunch to go. Am still on the hunt for a 'victorian style' blouse for DD

What did you decide? I would definitely keep it - sounds lovely.
    Originally posted by Doinfine
    Not sure who this was to? I've scrolled up and can only see myself mentioning CS said I could take something back for a refund. I'm not going to, someone else in DD's drama group will wear it if she doesn't.
    • shiprob195
    • By shiprob195 13th Jun 17, 7:10 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    shiprob195
    I bought a fabulous Monsoon green beaded summer dress from Age Uk for just £3.75.
    I'm loosing weight on Slimming world and have never really bought Monsoon clothing before as I was a size 20.
    This is a 14.. It will look amazing with a pair of silver flip flops in Spain
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    Weight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER
    41 weeks in to my weightloss journey
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 51,795 Thanks
    silvasava
    Wow shiprob -well done you for sticking g to your goals. A new wardrobe via the CS is very frugal and now you can try things you'd not have looked at before without much outlay.
    Last edited by silvasava; 14-06-2017 at 8:39 AM. Reason: Predictive text!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 13th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 4,528 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I bought a fabulous Monsoon green beaded summer dress from Age Uk for just £3.75.
    I'm loosing weight on Slimming world and have never really bought Monsoon clothing before as I was a size 20.
    This is a 14.. It will look amazing with a pair of silver flip flops in Spain
    Originally posted by shipr!!!95
    What a bargain and wel done on the weight loss.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 14th Jun 17, 8:52 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    2childmum
    Not me - but a friend I saw yesterday was wearing a beautiful pale green linen jacket with a mandarin style collar which looked new and had cost her £3.50! i should have asked which charity shop she goes to!
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • janb5
    • By janb5 14th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 6,377 Thanks
    janb5
    I have a Per Una dress in a grey soft cotton material and a little garden table that folds up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,309Users online

Martin's Twitter